• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Review Thread

madmackem

Was sure reviewers would be lining up to shit all over this game... guess not :/

Suppose that's a lesson in assumptions to learn for me. Will be renting the game on friday so me and the SO can play it over the weekend. Good to hear we might actually have a good time doing so. Been too long since I played a decent horror title.

"Bububu The Order!" posts getting so tired in discussions about this game btw. The two games have nothing to do with each other beyond being Sony published, so at this point it feels more like warrior shitposting than anything imo.
For it to score what it's scoring it must be a very decent game because like you I expected the press to be jumping all over this waiting to slam it, the fact it's scoring so high places I'd add another half point or more to the score because of that.

eXistor

Pretty good scores so far, I'm pretty much on a media blackout with this one, so I genuinely don't know, but I'm afraid that most choices will just lead to the same locations. I'd love it if you could make a choice between locations like left is the forest, right is a windmill or whatever and never get to the other location in that particular playthrough. We'll see, I'm pretty excited nontheless.

Here's our review: http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/until_dawn

Until Dawn PS4 Review - 8/10
Until Dawn is a pleasant surprise, and something that fans of interactive stories will really appreciate. As a schlocky horror it's a success, but its fiction actually goes beyond simple slasher – even if it remains intentionally silly throughout. The sometimes sloppy controls will irritate, while the performance capture could have been better, but neither of these issues are nightmarish enough to pull you out of the popcorn flick plot, which is buoyed by the impressive, if not gigantically impactful, butterfly effect. A ridiculous romp is what was promised, then, and this one will keep occupied all night long.

It's way better than I expected.

Elitist1945

Does the two-day shipping give you release-day shipping? I forget.

If so, no worries. I've done it at least 5 times now, and they always send me the shipping notification a night before...always shows up the next day.

I hope it does. I pre-ordered it like two months ago lol.

chadskin

Hold your boobs, those are great scores! Much better than I expected. Very cool, can't wait to get my dirty hands on it.

Not surprised this reviewed well after bloodborne reviews.

TdNYRT6.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow at the gamespot and gametrailers score! Really surprising! My frothing demand begins.

Boke1879

Honestly good for this game. Reviews seem mostly in the 80 range. For this kind of game I'd say that's pretty damn good. I hope everyone getting this has a damn good time with it.

Here is my youtube video review in collaboration with www.ztgd.com

No spoilers for the story as I feel this is crucial for this experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Ej43UzF0M 9 out of 10.

If you would rather read the review: http://www.ztgd.com/until-dawn/review/

Until Dawn is quite possibly one of my favorite entries in the cinematic story telling genre, if not my favorite. It hits on all the right notes, has interesting variation outcomes from the butterfly effects, it looks great, and it’s the closest we’ve come to being in a horror flick. Sometimes funny, sometimes cheesy, sometimes downright scary and tense as hell, Until Dawn is one wild ride, and while not everyone will think it’s worth the entry price, I couldn’t be happier with the end results. I had such a blast with it, I started it over immediately to complete again, a rare thing these days. They aimed to go for an interactive horror movie experience and they absolutely nailed it.

Javin98

Banned
Honestly, I'm surprised by several 9's from some reviewers. I expected 8's, maybe 8.5 at best from reviewers, but this game seems to be surprisingly good. May have to pick it up somewhere along the line.

Top Bottom