• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Review Thread

Yaari

This The Order stuff has to stop. They are in no way connected, and it is just annoying.
Like others said, I'm way more interested how it stacks up against other game of its genre. Like Heavy Rain and such.

mollipen

When somebody goes around to collect the properly-times reviews, mine will be up on egmnow.com! Not sure why other sites jumped the gun, but, whatever.

This is the type of game that makes me wish I had a girlfriend who I could play through it with. I'm past the age where my friends and I are able to get together a lot and spend hours watching movies or playing games, and the longer length of a video game makes it tougher to do in one night.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kinda pissed sony didn't support this game much.

Wonder if its too late to market the shit out of it if the good reviews continue. Has that ever happened before?

It's not hard to do additive marketing, but the reserved promotion is presumably because they feel there isn't much of a market for the game that won't find it via word of mouth anyway.

Like it's not uncommon to have a product that reviews well, but isn't a big seller even if you spend a lot on promotion.

Now, that might not be true of this game, but there are more reasons than "This won't review well." to not spend a lot on promotion.

Elitist1945

Wow lookin' good! Amazon STILL hasn't shipped my game so I'm getting worried, especially since I chose two-day shipping, not one.

Jigorath

Banned
If it reviews well, I'm sure they'll give it another push around Hallowe'en. They'd be crazy not to if the word of mouth surrounding it is good.

They should send out copies to all the popular streamers and LPers, that's the best way to market a game like this I think.

IGN noted that the story took a sharp left turn in the second half into something silly.

I wonder if it means that the game tries pulling a Cabin in The Woods thing and failed.

I don't watch horror movies so I can't comment on its relation to Cabin in the Woods, but the twist(s) in Until Dawn were the main thing I didn't like about it. It's too cliché and has been done so many times before. It didn't ruin my experience (I loved the game), and it was probably on purpose because they were going for a mocking teen slasher vibe, but it still bothered me.

Great game, though, definitely worth playing.

It's not hard to do additive marketing, but the reserved promotion is presumably because they feel there isn't much of a market for the game that won't find it via word of mouth anyway.

Like it's not uncommon to have a product that reviews well, but isn't a big seller even if you spend a lot on promotion.

Now, that might not be true of this game, but there are more reasons than "This won't review well." to not spend a lot on promotion.

Think Sony will start a second marketing push when Halloween is around.

border

Why do you think that? Only two reviews so far are below 77 (70 with Rocket Chainsaw and 75 with IGN) and plenty are around 90.

I mean, it could go south but thus far things are looking very good for it.

Everybody that tries to push a RottenWatch thread for a movie in the OT Forum always puts something in their topic about what a great score it has when there's only a handful of reviews ("95% Fresh!"). Then after a few days, you click on the thread and it's down to like 75 or lower. Generally speaking scores trend downward as time goes on.

I think the sites that don't put as much weight on "value proposition" will score the game well. But others will probably balk at the idea of a 10 hour narrative game for $60. Beyond: Two Souls has a 70 metacritic....Tales from the Borderlands hovers around 80 for various episodes, as does Game of Thrones.

Skele7on

Banned
I actually like that it's got great scores and I know very little about it.

I think the more about this game we'd had known as a horror shocker game it'd had damaged the experience we'd have with it.

Boke1879

Yea I think this is one of those games Sony feels will sell well enough. It's not going to break any records but if it sells on par with Heavy Rain or Beyond it should make a nice profit for them.

DryvBy

Well, 7s are good enough. I loved the trailers I saw. I've watched horrible horror movies in the past. This might be a thing I can get into and having a streaming session of for those who are cheap/poor/bored.

sphinx

the piano man
more or less on a media Blackout on this...

is this game gross and disturbing in the way Mortal Kombat X is, with explicit on-your-face gore and violence?

Yeah it is easy to forget Bloodborne didn't have that many ads as well.
Perhaps they think word of mouth will be enough to drive sales?

To compliment EA, I like their reaction ads to Dead Space 2. Seems the best advertising for a horror game.

Memento

Wow. Nice reviews! I did not expect that many 9s! I mean, I always thought the game looked great, but I thought it would be way more divisive given the nature of the game, but look at that! Everyone seems to like it!

Wagram

Seems to be scoring well. I predicted a 76 when the dust settles and it may end up a little higher than that. I only have to wonder whether or not Until Dawn will be worth that full retail price. Probably would be much better suited for a reduced $39.99.

It is, because they're in totally different genres. Why don't they compare it with Heavy Rain or Life is Strange?

I can only assume Order is the most fresh is most people's minds?

LiS is probably the best recent game to compare it to however. In fact, that's the best comparison someone could make, but how many people who are now interested in this have actually played LiS to know to make that comparison?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Fantastic, hopefully with this and RE2 Remake more atmosphere dripping horror games will return and they'll cut down on those FPH's that just don't work...Minus P.T.

Pastry

Banned
Seems to be scoring well. I predicted a 76 when the dust settles and it may end up a little higher than that. I only have to wonder whether or not Until Dawn will be worth that full retail price. Probably would be much better suited for a reduced $39.99.

If you're worried about price it should be at Redbox in a week or so, $3 a day.

Applebite

How can you say that in light of it scoring high?
I said "super high" for a reason, lol. I mean it's not gonna end up with really high scores but it'll probably sit at good solid scores. I don't particularly care about scores myself, but I do know that a bunch of 9's and 10's would help marketing immensely and I doubt it'll see scores like that.

Panda Rin

But will I still get it release day (tomorrow)? Thats all I'm worried about.

Does the two-day shipping give you release-day shipping? I forget.

If so, no worries. I've done it at least 5 times now, and they always send me the shipping notification a night before...always shows up the next day.

It has been all over YouTube in press previews/demos, they've had multiple conference appearances including mainstage at PSX and there have been a ton of ads released stressing the nature of the game. Nevermind allowing a studio that hasn't worked on a game this size before to completely RETOOL the game for a bigger splash on the PS4.
This should have gotten 5 minutes at E3. Some ads on TV would also help.

I dont use youtube much so that might be why. Still i saw very few ads or commercials. Hardly ever heard sony mention it. Bloodborne and 1886 were constantly be shoved down my throat.

Can't wait to see all the " Lets Plays " of this. You know they just love doing those for horror games

will wait to watch those till after ive played through it a few times though

Jamix012

Why are you say this ?
I think this game is getting a good exposure (until now of course)

I literally only heard about this game yesterday. I may not follow Sony's inner sanctum, but this game is quite the stealth release to the general populace.

kubus

More reviews coming any minute now. I'll add everything posted in this thread to the OP. Or... well, second post. :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, surprisingly good reviews. I'm a fan of heavy rain so might have to look into this. A little concerned it will come off as "random" in gameplay but that can be fun in limited doses.

Top Bottom