• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

dlauv

I think it's the fact that RE has become a multiplayer brand over two games, rather than 7 million finding the game mechanics "deep" or the soap opera compelling (it's kind of too esoteric in terms of continuity and also that special brand of anime). It's had a nice price point for years too; 20 bucks for 36+ hours of multiplayer shooting is hard to beat. Compared to Uncharted, a game series I loathe, RE6's story is a complete joke in terms of presentation and writing. Same as RE5 and RE4.

But then again, people apparently love the RE movies. They "print money."

So basically, the Resident Evil fanbase is going through the same thing the Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase has. As in, SEGA/Capcom have experimented with so many gameplay styles for their respective series the point where all those gameplay styles have their own set of fans that want to be catered to.

Can throw Mario in that camp too.

dlauv

Care to elaborate on this? What specifically is wrong with its story, writing, and presentation?

Specifically, it's constantly redundant and super corny in that special, "This was written by aliens" sort of way. You'll see the same qualities in something like Persona 5, except more garulously. It's goofy as fuck, and fans like that. It's played completely straight too, which makes it seem tone deaf.

The cinematography and mocap itself is fine and good though. You can tell they thought they made something great. The facial animation could use work but they're above average.

As an aside, in production, they thought the game was actually scary, as they've stated in interviews. It kind of shows how clueless they were.

Jawmuncher

When you have a series that goes from this

dolphin_exe_dx11_20140827_223338_by_aloo81-d7wx8ro.jpg

to this

CMdXpjv.gif

Inevitably some people are going to feel left behind

All things considered it works in the reverse as well. Not saying they should never go back to horror, but when a decade has been Action a group is gonna expect the latter. IMO it still comes down to capcom not talking enough to its fans. Since we don't know exactly what their future plans are. We don't even know what style RE2make is.

Peroroncino

RE2 is easily the most action-y of the original trilogy. RE2 showers you with ammo and ink ribbons, even on the highest default difficulty. I never once felt afraid in that game.

By contrast there were many moments in RE3 where I was hobbling along at critical health, ready to expend my last shotgun shells with extreme prejudice...

That's weird, it's opposite for me, in RE3 thanks to the ability to manufacture ammo on top of finding some, I was basically guns blazing through the entire game everytime I've played it.

For me definitely RE3 is the most action focused out of the OG trilogy, we also got mercenaries and that kickass intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwX7OD8c1Xg

Riposte

People who enjoyed the best third person combat system in gaming and didn't allow game reviewers who never learned the controls to influence their opinions.

I get the feeling Klepek follows around the game journo zeitgeist, so the idea that someone could prefer a stylish japanese action game in the 2010's is probably a fairly odd one to him. Any thread about RE6 from the last five years would have shown another side though.

RootCause

lol.......before everyone was, they need to go back to their roots, but when sales are worse than 5 and 6, the same people now advising Capcom to stick with the action.
It's not really the same people. There's a group that wants over the top, cartwheels Resident evil, and another part that wants a slow paced horror game.

I'm sure they can accommodate both fans, but Capcom just hasn't figured it out yet. They need to split the series.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Lol that makes no sense, since the series was a survival horror to begin with. But you have an axe to grind against horror RE, so not surprised.

The heck are you on? I have nothing against horror RE. I fucking love horror RE. I just love all kinds of RE.

RE2 is one of my all time favourites.

All I'm saying is that when you have a series with such disparate playstyles, people always feel they're not catering to them. It goes both ways.

Peroroncino

Lol that makes no sense, since the series was a survival horror to begin with. But you have an axe to grind against horror RE, so not surprised.

Actually it makes sense considering the series was action focused for over a decade.

Besides, horror or no, going from 3rd person to 1st person was also enough to alienate a chunk of the fanbase, even those who like the idea of horror RE more.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yours was equally terrible, I just tried to match you :)

How is my post terrible? I'm trying to exemplify that moving from one gameplay style to the other can absolutely cause fans of either style to feel disheartened.

I'm not saying y'all shouldn't be happy with RE7, or that the next game should be action. I'm not shitting on classic style-RE or anything.

Your post was not great before the edit, just saying "Good" that some people are left behind. That's the definition of "fuck you, got mine". That's a shitpost.

Jawmuncher

You have to remember there's a lot of people who's first RE title was RE4. Some people went and played the older titles after enjoying that so much. Other's however did not. So not everyone is going to really care about any sort of roots a series has/had depending on where they jumped in at.

Thorrgal

I'm surprised that the worst main RE ever made (RE6) sold that much and one of the best (RE7) is a failure. Anyway I'm pretty sure that if they'll make RE8 a shitty b-movie like action game again, it will bomb hard, at this point I don't see a bright future for the series if they don't put a lot of effort on developing the next one.

RE6 sold a lot because it came after RE5, which was very good. RE7 hasn't sold as much because it came out after the disaster 6 was

Zero-ELEC

Banned
RE6 sold a lot because it came after RE5, which was very good. RE7 hasn't sold as much because it came out after the disaster 6 was

REv2 sold fine and that was actually following RE6. People love to overstate how much damage RE6 did to the series.

Jawmuncher

I still don't get how that works.

RE4>RE5>RE6 makes sense. They're all third person and could carry that ideal that one's success lead to another.

RE7 on the other hand was it's own game and style. It's First Person, went back to horror, and even had a demo on months before release. Not to mention a ton of positive reviews a week before launch. I don't really think the people who didn't like RE6 went "Yeah, fuck capcom for giving me what I want!". The majority of those who didn't buy RE7 were those that just weren't interested in RE7 due to it's chance in style.

BadWolf

Besides, horror or no, going from 3rd person to 1st person was also enough to alienate a chunk of the fanbase, even those who like the idea of horror RE more.

This is a big one, the moment it was shown to be FP it was obvious many fans wouldn't be happy and it would be especially screwed in Japan.

I played it because it's RE but I can say for a fact that if RE started out FPS then I would have never gotten into the series to begin with.

Whether RE8 is horror or action, FP needs to go.

Not that I'm agreeing with him, but how much did Rev2 sell?

Over 2 million.

Very solid for a low budget spin off.

Jawmuncher

This is a big one, the moment it was shown to be FP it was obvious many fans wouldn't be happy and it would be especially screwed in Japan.

I played it because it's RE but I can say for a fact that if RE started out FPS then I would have never gotten into the series to begin with.

Whether RE8 is horror or action, FP needs to go.

Over 2 million.

Very solid for a low budget spin off.

That's definitely my biggest complaint on RE7 (Outside some story stuff).
If you asked me to change one thing about RE7 it wouldn't be it's gameplay. It'd just be the first person view.
I might not like the Revelations games. But I still love the classic titles.

People who enjoyed the best third person combat system in gaming and didn't allow game reviewers who never learned the controls to influence their opinions.

lol I mean, I know people like it and it's cool if you love the game, even I don't totally hate it, although I think it's the worst RE game by far but lets not get carried away and pretend it's got the best 3rd person combat system in gaming, unless you haven't played many 3rd person games before.

Jawmuncher

lol I mean, I know people like it and it's cool if you love the game, even I don't totally hate it, although I think it's the worst RE game by far but lets not get carried away and pretend it's got the best 3rd person combat system in gaming, unless you haven't played many 3rd person games before.

I don't really see the issue with that statement.
Since the poster is just talking about mechaincs. We all know it has it's issues with the campaign and other such things. But there's no other Third Person shooter that plays like RE6.

You'll see that's where a big amount of the defense for the game comes from. The melee, dodging, rolling, quick shots, and other things you can pull off in the game are pretty great.

JayEH

People love to throw this around by re6 keeps selling to this day. Also 7 looked nothing like 6 so I don't know how that would would influence its sales.

Sesha

RE8 is gonna be FP, and I'm fine with FP for mainlines for now. I'm bored of the third person stuff. I'm not sure I even want a proper sequel to RE4 anymore.

I'll still take a stand alone Mercenaries though since there's no campaign in that.

But this isn't about DMC4.

I hope this means they go back to the style of RE4 and RE5. Not as over-the-top as RE6 but man, RE5 was one of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had.

RE5 on co-op on Professional difficulty is the single best gaming experience I ever had.

But if I had to choose... A return to this, please:

mkU5Y6V.gif

img]http://i.imgur.com/e7uvOH1.gif[/img]
CMdXpjv.gif

Stomp.gif
*desire to redownload RE6 to PS4 intensifies*

Zukkoyaki

I do wonder how much of RE6's re-release sales are due to it being a late-gen release with meh word of mouth that people are checking out due to it being cheap. Albeit it dropped in price pretty quickly but 2013 was loaded with huge games and the also had the new consoles launch.

It's a fact that Re6 game play mechanics are in par with Vanquish (which it took a while to discover how deep the game play is), and easily surpass Resident evil 5's game play mechanics as well.

I was going to mention more third person games, but I can stop at vanquish for sure.

BadWolf

I do wonder how much of RE6's re-release sales are due to it being a late-gen release with meh word of mouth that people are checking out due to it being cheap. Albeit it dropped in price pretty quickly but 2013 was loaded with huge games and the also had the new consoles launch.

Dat spin.

Bulzeeb

When you have a series that goes from this

mkU5Y6V.gif

to this

RE7-Gif14.gif

Inevitably some people are going to feel left behind

man, I love the classic ones more than the action oriented games, but I admit that 7 looks like another game more in the huge pile of jump scare fps hallway simulators that have appeared on pc the past few years.

I still think 4 offered the best mix of both worlds and Capcom should try to return to that nice sweet spot.

Good.

Revelations 3 is gonna be lit for ya'll

4,5,6 require a decent budget which the don't give Revelations.
Revelations should have the mainline budget while 7 should have been secondary.

Honestly its a miracle Revelations 2 was as great as it is with how clearly budgeted it was.

Combined different versions of the same game (excluding RE1 & REmake since they're so different) to get a better picture.

(in millions)
RE5 = 9.5
RE6 = 7.9
RE4 = 5.9
RE1 = 5.08
RE2 = 4.96
RE7 = 3.7
RE3 = 3.5
Remake = 3.25
RE0 = 2.65
Veronica = 2.54
Raccoon = 2.5
RER2 = 2.2
RER = 1.7
Outbreak = 1.45
Umbrella = 1.3

= 58.13 (so 20 million sales not account for by Capcom's Top 80)

Zukkoyaki

Dat spin.
I'm not spinning anything, just making conversation.

The sales of 6 are impressive, particularly the re-release. I'm just wondering why that could be. Re-releases of games that were pretty widely regarded as underwhelming don't usually do that well.

Edit: With that said, I'm not a fan of 6 but I have no problem with it doing well and Capcom making money from it. I'd be fine with the series continuing in either mold.

man, I love the classic ones more than the action oriented games, but I admit that 7 looks like another game more in the huge pile of jump scare fps hallway simulators that have appeared on pc the past few years.

I still think 4 offered the best mix of both worlds and Capcom should try to return to that nice sweet spot.

Rev2 was the best mix. Loot mechanics alone would disqualify RE4 from that title. Not to mention that the "horror" and "action" parts in RE4 are at points just too blatantly glued together in near laughable manner. One room, creepy music and only one regenerator. Next room, all of a sudden you're on a battlefield with countless minions - as if you entered a different dimension. In fact, almost all the time "scarier" enemies in RE4 are strictly separated from maps with lots of cannon fodder. The former feel like leftovers from the original game concept that were brought into a different product.

6 released in October of 2012.

RootCause

Speaking of RE7. I think the demo did more damage than anything RE6 could've done. It just wasn't very good, and had people swearing up and down it was going to be outlast. Wich it wasn't, as many predicted.

RE5 on co-op on Professional difficulty is the single best gaming experience I ever had.

*desire to redownload RE6 to PS4 intensifies*
I bought the physical versions, but I still have all the resi games installed, just for when the mood strikes.
It's the one series I won't delete from my ps4 drive. :p

dlauv

Rev 2 was ok. Kind of underwhelming as a shooter and as a horror game. It had moments but it felt very light. I appreciated the writing being self-aware but I didn't find it strong or particularly compelling. I find it quite hard to replay. Many of the later skills are quirky in a bad way. Like bullet power increasing shortly after ducking or switching guns. Co-op was terrible lol.

I'm not hung up on perspective changes at all. I thought 7 had the best single-player campaign since 4. It's also highly replayable but I wish it were more difficult and had a much better latter half. I still enjoyed 5's co-op a bit more than 7 alone.

5's co-op was god tier honestly, but I've played it into the ground. It came out at a good time too: 2k9.

Jawmuncher

Rev2 was the best mix. Loot mechanics alone would disqualify RE4 from that title. Not to mention that the "horror" and "action" parts in RE4 are at points just too blatantly glued together in near laughable manner. One room, creepy music and only one regenerator. Next room, all of a sudden you're on a battlefield with countless minions, as if you entered a different dimension.

I still disagree with Revelations 2 being a good mix. Especially when a lot of the action elements are downplayed. The lack of loot especially minimizes it. RE4 still stands as the best ground in my eyes. considering it's still the only real title that's universally praised from the majority of both sides of the camp.

Speaking of RE7. I think the demo did more damage than anything RE6 could've done. It just wasn't very good, and had people swearing up and down it was going to be outlast. Wich it wasn't, as many predicted.

I bought the physical versions, but I still have all the resi games installed, just for when the mood strikes.
It's the one series I won't delete from my ps4 drive. :p

REmake is the one I absolutely don't delete, 6 I wouldn't but it is so much space.

_Legacy_

RE7 didn't get enough love from consumers, it was exactly what the franchise needed, given how poor RE6 was. RE5 wasn't fantastic but it wasn't bad either.

It's a shame because I think they took a step in the right direction, it deserved to sell more.

I still disagree with Revelations 2 being a good mix. Especially when a lot of the action elements are downplayed. The lack of loot especially minimizes it. RE4 still stands as the best ground in my eyes. considering it's still the only real title that's universally praised from the majority of both sides of the camp.

Because unlike 5 or 6, RE4 is a great game at what it does. But it's still completely different from what came before. Rev2 has the new controls and camera, but the atmosphere of something like CVX.

correojon

People are STILL salty at RE6 being well regarded? Who ARE you people?
Well regarded? The game's a mess. Like outright bad. Like so bad, I couldn't even force myself to finish Leon's campaign. Now, the mercs mode may be good and the combat system too, but the main campaign is a total disaster. It literally has setpieces where you watch a cutscene, walk a bit and are thrown into another cutscene. The level design doesn't take advantage of all the moves in your arsenal and it doesn't even bother to present situations where you can learn how useful some moves can be or just practice them. The campaign actively does everything in it's hands to make you not want to play the game.

dlauv

That Re6 sliding gif looks like a janky mess. Can't believe people are using that in support of the game.

It takes a trigger, a button and then a directional input to roll. Such depth that lowly game journalists merely couldn't grasp.

My favorite part is pouring bullets into enemies with seemingly no reaction only to have them melt unsatisfyingly. It's a great use of high powered weaponry and dual pistols.

But the meta is of course to pop one in the head and then action button while they're staggered. It's very deep, you see. Just look at those animations.

I even just got done replaying Vanquish and I stand by my statement. RE6's combat is top tier with its movement mechanics and unparrelled enemy variety that actually makes you use it.

Top Bottom