• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

Except that RE6 is far from the best selling of the remasters.
It's the best selling of the RE4/5/6 PS4/XBO remaster series. And it is the most played Resident Evil game on PC, and likely consoles.

There are more people playing RE6 right now on Steam than playing RE4 HD, RE7, and REMAKE put together. That is what separates RE6 from the other games in the series. Player retention is much, much higher. People might say, "But it has co-op!" Well, then why don't RE5 and Revelations 2 enjoy the same player retention? What is the X factor that keeps people coming back to RE6 when they move on from the other games in the series?

I don't like the pissing match between RE factions. I enjoy RE in all its various forms. But RE6 is special. For better or worse, the game is special.

Maxey

Did Capcom actually went and claimed RE7 to be a failure?

3.7 mil is still quite respectable for just a few months after release.

Run a few good discounts and I believe they can reach good lifetime numbers.

It's the best selling of the RE4/5/6 PS4/XBO remaster series. And it is the most played Resident Evil game on PC, and likely consoles..

So ignoring half the remasters the argument is about and then making an assumption about PS4/Bone players.

Huge RE fan here and still haven't bought RE7.

I used to love the series because it was a nice blend of 3rd person action/adventure and survival horror with very few jumpscares and a focus on atmosphere.

RE is very much famous for jump scares and RE7 focuses on atmosphere also.

Did Capcom actually went and claimed RE7 to be a failure?
Not at all. The game broke even, but failed to meet its sales expectations. It kinda crashed and burned in Japan. Which... is not good. But while sales have slowed, it's plodding along okay. Could be better, could be a lot worse. If you want an example of a genuine failure, look at Umbrella Corps.

Blackage

It's the best selling of the RE4/5/6 PS4/XBO remaster series. And it is the most played Resident Evil game on PC, and likely consoles.

There are more people playing RE6 right now on Steam than playing RE4 HD, RE7, and REMAKE put together. That is what separates RE6 from the other games in the series. Player retention is much, much higher. People might say, "But it has co-op!" Well, then why don't RE5 and Revelations 2 enjoy the same player retention? What is the X factor that keeps people coming back to RE6 when they move on from the other games in the series?

I don't like the pissing match between RE factions. I enjoy RE in all its various forms. But RE6 is special. For better or worse, the game is special.

Um that might have to do with the recent humble bundle that included RE6 no? Sold about 300k copies.

Huge RE fan here and still haven't bought RE7.

I used to love the series because it was a nice blend of 3rd person action/adventure and survival horror with very few jumpscares and a focus on atmosphere.

Due to Capcom trying to follow trends (rather than make them) RE6 was too much action and RE7 was too much redneck jumpscare horror (judging from what i played in the demos and from videos i've watched).I have no interest in either directions personally.
You might be surprised how similar to the old games RE7 is if you ever played it. I had a similar expectation going in (Capcom following games like Outlast and whatever with HEAVY focus on jumpscares) but I was pleasantly surprised. It's much closer to something like REmake than any first person horror game I have played.

That said if it being 1st person is the main issue for you then I understand. There definately are jumpscares but they don't go overboard with it, honestly I'd bet it has about the same amount as the old games.

RE4 has been released far more and its only 100k or so behind. RE5 is only 100k or so behind.

The best selling remasters are:
RE0 - 1.5 million
RE:R - 2 million

So I guess by this logic Capcom should make RE8 like RE1. The reality is there are many new players on PS4/XB1 that have not experienced these games and desire to.

So ignoring half the remasters the argument is about.
Which remasters are you talking about? I was talking about REMAKE. RE0, and the PS4/XBO RE4/5/6 HD trilogy which is based on the PC versions. Arguably RE6 PC counts as a "remaster", just as RE4 HD does.

I'm not talking about sales here. I'm talking about people PLAYING games. Buying games and actually playing them are very different things. At this very second, more people are playing RE6 than RE7, REMAKE, and RE4 HD. Put together. How much they sold is completely missing the point.

The best selling remasters are:
RE0 - 1.5 million
RE:R - 2 million
RE0 was a Gamecube exclusive from 2002.

RE4/5/6 were new ports of games that had already been ported 3-5 years earlier.

Diminishing returns is a thing with remasters. Like, if Capcom re-released REMAKE, again, it wouldn't sell as well as it did last time, when it was made available on other platforms beside the Gamecube for the first time since 2002.

Meowster

I liked 7 but I wouldn't mind it at all if you went back to the mindless amazing fun that was in 6. So many great times playing the story and Mercenaries with my buddies.

Which remasters are you talking about? I was talking about REMAKE. RE0, and the PS4/XBO RE4/5/6 HD trilogy which is based on the PC versions. Arguably RE6 PC counts as a "remaster", just as RE4 HD does.

I'm not talking about sales here. I'm talking about people PLAYING games. Buying games and actually playing them are very different things.

At first you wanted to ignore REmake for sales and then for the "playing" argument you make an assumption about the entire PS4/Bone player base (that didn't recently have a RE6 bundle), based on the completely differently behaving Steam userbase.

At first you wanted to ignore REmake for sales and then for the "playing" argument you make an assumption about the entire PS4/Bone player base (that didn't recently have a RE6 bundle), based on the completely different Steam userbase.
Fine then, we'll just leave the PS4/XBO userbases out of this. It is unwise to make too many assumptions. Too many unknown variables. PC is much more transparent.

In PC's case, REMAKE sold 467,000 copies on PC, while Resident Evil 6, which was a late port by the way, is currently at... 1.24 million. Which makes it Capcom's best selling game on Steam, followed by Devil May Cry.

There are some stark differences between how PC gamers view Capcom's francises and how console gamers view them. For example, Devil May Cry on PC has the highest approval rating of any Capcom game. It's 95% or something like that, while RE7 only manages 90%. Stuff like RE6 has 80% approval.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and Resident Evil 6 remain Capcom's most popular titles on Steam if we're measuring player numbers.

HKA6A7

Resident Evil needs to go back to its originals action roots including run and gun content. 7 was obviously a mistake.

I know the original games had tank controls... But that doesn't make them a bettlecity spin- off.
Those were survival horror games, hilariously convoluted, but survival horror games nonetheless.

Neff

The combat is total shit which is what makes it so painful.

I wouldn't say this. It wasn't anything fancy, but the weapons felt good and the way ammo combined in different ways lent the game a lot of strategy and depth. It was really only the lack of enemy variety which let things down.

The last third of the game is the worst in the series yet somehow people can give it a pass.

I wouldn't say this either, the
ship
is rather bland, but it has some nice map design, and that final gauntlet run was a welcome slice of cathartic action. I know the final boss gets a lot of stick, but I found if faithful to the tradition of RE bosses which are basically 'press button to win the game'.

I don't think anyone would disagree though that the Baker Mansion outclasses everything else in the game by a spectacular degree.

kromeo

I liked 7 but I wouldn't mind it at all if you went back to the mindless amazing fun that was in 6. So many great times playing the story and Mercenaries with my buddies.

I might be confusing you with someone else but didn't you say that 7 was the worst game you'd ever played?

RE wasn't always 3rd person you know

No... RE mainline games have ALWAYS been 3rd person perspective.

What are you thinking of? The RE light-gun game?

RE6 was rubbish.

RE3 and RE5 were the pinnacle of the series, tbh. RE7 with a 1st person perspective just doesn't feel like a RE game at all. RE should be a shlocky zombie game in third person with quasi-tank controls.

kromeo

I don't think anyone would disagree though that the Baker Mansion outclasses everything else in the game by a spectacular degree.

As much as it's cliche now, Resident Evil is at it's best when it's in mansions, I'd like a see a full size one return for 8

Man, I never thought I'd be convinced to try RE6 after the critical reception was so bad, but those gifs look fun as fuck.
As a fan of the game, here's my advice:

Avoid the PS3/360 versions like the plague. Their unstable 20-30fps framerate makes the game feel sloppy and imprecise.
PC version is good, but FOV and QTEs need manually adjusting in a menu many people never look in.
PS4/XBO versions are 60fps, with FOV and QTE tweaks already in place. They're excellent remasters-slash-tidied up PC versions, for the most part.
Be prepared for an incredibly steep learning curve and utterly inadequate tutorials.
Remember that you can recover from being knocked down by dodging backwards into the fall. An alarming number of people don't know this core game mechanic because the game never bothers to teach it.

It's a shame they never patched RE4 and RE5 HD, because those did have some minor issues. I mean, they're really, really good, and everyone should buy them, but it's a shame Capcom didn't care enough to fix them.

I wouldn't say this. It wasn't anything fancy, but the weapons felt good and the way ammo combined in different ways lent the game a lot of strategy and depth. It was really only the lack of enemy variety which let things down.
It was terrible compared to other first person shooters. It was also a huge let down after the combat in RE 6. Also thanks for reminding me about the enemy variety since it is absolute garbage. I can't believe I have to say this for a Resident Evil game which is known for many iconic creature design.

ship[/SPOILER] is rather bland, but it has some nice map design, and that final gauntlet run was a welcome slice of cathartic action. I know the final boss gets a lot of stick, but I found if faithful to the tradition of RE bosses which are basically 'press button to win the game'.

Honestly speaking if I wanted to replay RE 7, I would have preferred to skip the
ship
section altogether. You also have a whole
flashback
set there which works mostly for the first time.

sublimit

Banned
RE is very much famous for jump scares and RE7 focuses on atmosphere also.

RE itself was never famous for its jump scares.But its jump scares were famous due to how few and how well done they were.
They were never the focus though.Action and atmosphere were the things that the original RE was famous for.

You might be surprised how similar to the old games RE7 is if you ever played it. I had a similar expectation going in (Capcom following games like Outlast and whatever with HEAVY focus on jumpscares) but I was pleasantly surprised. It's much closer to something like REmake than any first person horror game I have played.

That said if it being 1st person is the main issue for you then I understand. There definately are jumpscares but they don't go overboard with it, honestly I'd bet it has about the same amount as the old games.

I have heard some people saying that RE7 doesn't focus on jump scares but honestly what i've played and watched myself seem to suggest quite the opposite.For some reason i think the definition of jump scares may differ from person to person.
And yes 1st person is also another big reason why i'm not very interested in RE7 because in my opinion it takes away from the action and brings the balance more towards in favor of the horror aspect.It's like now we have to choose either for a superhero action game like RE6 or for a very horror/jump scare/i'm being weak and helpless kind of game.

Like i said personally i loved the series for the more balanced direction between action and horror of the older games. So both RE6 and RE7 are unappealing to me.

The final boss in RE7 is essentially the final boss from RE6. Sure, you don't blow up a liquid nitrogen canister, but visually identical. To the point some have suggested
the C-Virus was involved in Evelyn's creation.
I'm guessing this didn't register with as many people as it should have because most people don't finish games and therefore didn't finish Ada's campaign in RE6.

Sesha

In PC's case, REMAKE sold 467,000 copies on PC, while Resident Evil 6, which was a late port by the way, is currently at... 1.24 million. Which makes it Capcom's best selling game on Steam, followed by Devil May Cry.

REmake, RE6 and DmC have all been bundled. The latter two multiple times.

RE7 is a great game it just doesn't feel like Resident Evil at all. Clearly meant to be a new thing altogether and take Revil further into the horror genre.

Maxey

RE7 is a great game it just doesn't feel like Resident Evil at all. Clearly meant to be a new thing altogether and take Revil further into the horror genre.
What? You mean further into the genre it's supposed to be?

That's like saying the new DOOM made it too action shooter and not enough dark corridors where you have to take out the flashlight.

It could have been like Resident Evil Dead Aim.

250px-Residentevildeadaim.jpg

The stick waggling QTEs are punishment for playing poorly. Also, literally every RE game back to RE1 dual shock feature stick waggling QTEs to break free from enemy grabs.

What? They're plenty of forced stick waggling sections that you need to do in the main campaign. Yes, there was stick waggling in the past, but you definitely did not need to waggle at turbo speeds like RE6 expects you to do.

What? You mean further into the genre it's supposed to be?

Sure, that's an opinion, and maybe to make it be closer to its "supposed to be" genre it had to lose a bit of what makes it feel like any of the other Resident Evils.

See you got a stealth edit about Doom...I don't see the analogy. I'm not stating that Revil 6 is where the genre was meant to be which I guess is the analogy you are trying to make Doom 3 => Doom (2016)?

Just stating that Revil7 is an entirely new beast and goes way deeper into the horror genre than any of the mainline Revils 0-6.

REmake, RE6 and DmC have all been bundled. The latter two multiple times.
Which proves my point. Despite being bundled, none of the other games enjoy RE6's lasting popularity. The recent Humble Bundle featured RE4/REMAKE/etc, and yet those games currently have a fraction of RE6's players.

The bundle spiked Umbrella Corps from 10k to 180k. But guess what? Umbrella Corps is already in its death throes again. It just can't keep players interested.

RE6 is special. Look at its competitors. Vanquish? Peaked at 49 players today. Binary Domain? Peaked at 18 players. Operation Raccoon City? Peaked at 16 players. SEGA literally gave Binary Domain away for free at one point. Almost everyone who owns Binary Domain got it for free. But almost nobody plays it. Unlike Resident Evil 6, the game that keeps going and going and going.

What? They're plenty of forced stick waggling sections that you need to do in the main campaign. Yes, there was stick waggling in the past, but you definitely did not need to waggle at turbo speeds like RE6 expects you to do.
Ah, yea, the "turn handle" QTEs.

Depends on what you're looking for in the series, I guess. A lot of people (and reviews) agreed that this feels more like Resident Evil than anything since (and including) RE4.

I have heard some people saying that RE7 doesn't focus on jump scares but honestly what i've played and watched myself seem to suggest quite the opposite.For some reason i think the definition of jump scares may differ from person to person.

For some reason the description of a game may vary between people who've played it and people who didn't...? FYI the demo was aping P.T. marketing, but the game isn't like that, except maybe the first hour (out of 10).

RE6 fans are un-fucking-bearable, way to shit up a thread right from the first post. You know what other game failed to meet Capcom's sales expectations? RE6. But unlike RE7, that game was critically panned.

I'm not talking about sales here. I'm talking about people PLAYING games. Buying games and actually playing them are very different things. At this very second, more people are playing RE6 than RE7, REMAKE, and RE4 HD. Put together. How much they sold is completely missing the point.

RE0 was a Gamecube exclusive from 2002.

RE4/5/6 were new ports of games that had already been ported 3-5 years earlier.

Diminishing returns is a thing with remasters. Like, if Capcom re-released REMAKE, again, it wouldn't sell as well as it did last time, when it was made available on other platforms beside the Gamecube for the first time since 2002.

Sure, but its still impressive how these old RE ports easily outperform RE5/6, despite the claims of action RE being far bigger with fans.

Maxey

Sure, that's an opinion, and maybe to make it be closer to its "supposed to be" genre it had to lose a bit of what makes it feel like any of the other Resident Evils.
Now, don't get me wrong, I like the action focused REs too. RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time and RE5 was a very fun co-op experience, but I also felt that with each new mainline entry, the horror aspect was being lost. RE6 while I think it's a bad game overall, it still has some stuff I can appreciate, but it completely lost the plot on trying to be a survival horror game.

RE7 harking back to the original horror theme was something that many felt, including me, was necessary to bring back the franchise to what it was originally trying to do.

Ryuuga

Banned
If you want those RE sales Capcom you know where to find us. The fans who understand action was a part of the package all along.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like the action focused REs too. RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time and RE5 was a very fun co-op experience, but I also felt that with each new mainline entry, the horror aspect was being lost. RE6 while I think it's a bad game overall, it still has some stuff I can appreciate, but it completely lost the plot on trying to be a survival horror game.

RE7 harking back to the original horror theme was something that many felt, including me, was necessary to bring back the franchise to what it was originally trying to do.

I think it was the right move as well. To me it just seemed like the pendulum, so to speak, swung way hard in the other direction past where any other Resident Evil is on the horror vs action scale. Part of this was the switch to first person in order to accommodate VR.

Maxey

I think it was the right move as well. To me it just seemed like the pendulum, so to speak, swung way hard in the other direction past where any other Resident Evil is on the horror vs action scale. Part of this was the switch to first person in order to accommodate VR.
Ok, fair enough.

In fact, I can even see Capcom try to make RE8 a bit more action focused in an attempt to attract more sales.

RSB

Banned
RE7 is my least favorite of all the main line RE games, and I'm not a fan of the new style at all, so I can't say I'm sad about the game underperforming. Although maybe they are happy with these sales numbers, after all, RE7 was quite a bit cheaper than RE5 and 6, wasn't it?

Oh, well, personally I love both action and classic RE, and I hope they go back to either style (or both, preferably) for the next few games (RE2 Remake better be classic style though)

Sure, but its still impressive how these old RE ports easily outperform RE5/6, despite the claims of action RE being far bigger with fans.
They only sold better on consoles, mind you. There's some dynamics there such as, as I mentioned, the fact these games had not been available outside the Gamecube and PC emulation since 2002. RE4/5/6 did not enjoy that same gap. RE: Revelations for PS4/XBO is trying to sell a 2013 3DS game that was remastered for PS3/360 and then remastered for PC and then that version was remastered for PS4/XBO. Diminishing returns start to set in. Selling people the same game over and over again has its limits.

Capcom are essentially selling the PC version to console owners who had played these games a few years earlier, and possibly still owned them.

It's odd, mostly indie horror games went for that first-person style and it worked for them because––obviously––they have modest expectations. I mean, the quality of RE7 isn't something that can be denied, but it was a shakeup that they were way too optimistic with.

Ok, fair enough.

In fact, I can even see Capcom try to make RE8 a bit more action focused in an attempt to attract more sales.

RE2 and RE5 were significantly more action orientated than their predecessors, so that'd basically be par for the course.

Top Bottom