• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

RE6 fans are un-fucking-bearable, way to shit up a thread right from the first post. You know what other game failed to meet Capcom's sales expectations? RE6. But unlike RE7, that game was critically panned.
In what universe is 74% on Metacritic with 21 positive, 12 mixed, and one negative review "panned"? RE6 is a divisive game, certainly. And its 7th gen console versions were... not great. But "divisive" and "panned" are very different things.

It's not like the opinions of professional critics, nor Metacritic, have any bearing on a game's inherent quality, but I've never understood how people can actually believe RE6 was "panned" by critics. It's like believing that Donkey Kong 64 wasn't universally acclaimed.

Capcom was disappointed with the sales of Resi 6 anyway, So them being disappointed with 7 sales is par for the course for them. 6 was an abomination of a game, Took the decent co-op features of 5 and ruined them, At least in 5 you could drop in and out with your own equipment you had, In 6 you couldn't even do that.

7 was a return to form, And hopefully they stick with VR for 8 aswell.

I have no interest in RE7. But if they go back to doing a RE5 type game I'll be right the fuck back in. There is a reason it's the best selling RE game.

FaintDeftone

RE7 will most likely find a cozy spot on my top ten list this year. It is exactly what an old school Resident Evil fan wanted. Not to mention playing it in VR was one of the coolest gaming experiences I've had in years. I'm glad they made it and I'll be bummed if we have to go back to these run-of-the-mill shooters again.

RE6 fans are un-fucking-bearable, way to shit up a thread right from the first post. You know what other game failed to meet Capcom's sales expectations? RE6. But unlike RE7, that game was critically panned.
Jesus Christ. Way to judge someone.

I am an ACTION RESIDENT EVIL fan. I am not necessarily a fan of Resident Evil 6. How is that hard to understand for some of you? I want another game like Resident Evil 4 and 5, not necessarily the same bloated mess like Resident Evil 6.

silva1991

True. Unlike 6, we got an actual great game in our hands and it's actual return to form.

Ahasverus

I am an ACTION RESIDENT EVIL fan. I am not necessarily a fan of Resident Evil 6. How is that hard to understand for some of you? I want another game like Resident Evil 4 and 5, not necessarily the same bloated mess like Resident Evil 6.
Good thing he's talking about obnoxious RE6 fans and not you.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
The recent Humble Bundle featured RE4/REMAKE/etc, and yet those games currently have a fraction of RE6's players.

I don't know if it's fair to compare single player games with multiplayer ones by concurrent players as a means of gauging the former's reception (not that you're doing that exactly, but some may get that impression). The thing that should be clarified is that I like REmake a lot more than RE4, 5, and 6, but I can only play a single player scenario so many times. Whereas with RE5 and 6, I dabble into the mercenaries modes a little here and there when I can. So in terms of overall engagement, it certainly has more longterm appeal, but it doesn't say much about overall enjoyment.

Jawmuncher

"RE6 damaged the brand". Yet it's HD port sold a million from last year and another 100K on top of that.
I think it's time to accept that RE6 isn't the Death kneel to the series people think it is. Since if that was the case it wouldn't be selling still.

As for RE7 I do think it's biggest issue in terms of selling more units was the first person view. It hurt the game in other regions and really only offered those playing in VR something.

Had we essentially gotten the game same game in Third Person. I honesty think it'd have at least cleared 4 million by now.

Bumhead

Banned
Resident Evil has always straddled horror and action quite nicely.

Resident Evil 2 and 4 are arguably held up as the best games in the series, and they contain fairly equal elements of both. The only games in the series which have an obvious swing in favour of one direction or the other - not counting the very first game - are 6 and 7.

I really like 7, but I can understand why others don't. Capcom need to find a medium ground between 6 and 7 because I think that's where Resident Evil truly is.

Resident Evil 6 just about killed the series for me, to the point where I skipped 7 at launch and it ended up being surprising to me how much I enjoyed it, two things that have never happened to with this series before. RE8 having more action is fine but I'm done if the sales of 7 mean a full swing back to 6.

Japan's response to RE7 interests me. Beyond the obviously poor sales in that region, has anything been written about general audience response? First person motion sickness issues? Is VR popular in Japan at all?

I don't know if it's fair to compare single player games with multiplayer ones by concurrent players as a means of gauging the former's reception (not that you're doing that exactly, but some may get that impression). The thing that should be clarified is that I like REmake a lot more than RE4, 5, and 6, but I can only play a single player scenario so many times. Whereas with RE5 and 6, I dabble into the mercenaries modes a little here and there when I can. So in terms of overall engagement, it certainly has more longterm appeal, but it doesn't say much about overall enjoyment.
I agree with what you're saying, but what I find curious is how RE5 and Revelations 2 lag consistently behind RE6 despite both having co-op. (And IMO, RE5 is a MUCH better co-op game than RE6.) And of course the co-op oriented ORC is dead in the water currently. But yes, co-op is one of the important reasons why RE6 enjoys long term player engagement. There's a reason why Ubisoft shove co-op into everything.

RE7 fans are pretty fucking obnoxious too. All this talk about "darn them for finally making a good game" as if 4 and 5 were not critically aclaimed. The only mainline game with meh reviews is 6. It would be nice if people stopped pretending 7 is the first good game since 3.

It's sad really. I couldn't even get halfway through 6 when I got it and traded it. 7 I played through 3 times. That buzzsaw is awesome once you get it.

I am more of a fan of third person RE, I generally don't like first person horror. So I agree with you. Capcom seemed to go down that route after seeing an industry trend but resulted in lower sales that RE6. I am not a fan of 6 either but damn the remaster sold over a million right? So people can't say there isn't a market for more action RE.

TannerDemoz

Resident Evil 6 just about killed the series for me, to the point where I skipped 7 at launch and it ended up being surprising to me how much I enjoyed it, two things that have never happened to with this series before. RE8 having more action is fine but I'm done if the sales of 7 mean a full swing back to 6.

Yeah, this reiterates what I was saying earlier. I think this is really important, and despite the mediocre reviews for Res 6, it's worth considering the potential damage it did to the series – especially at launch.

Ahasverus

RE7 fans are pretty fucking obnoxious too. All this talk about "darn them for finally making a good game" as if 4 and 5 were not critically aclaimed. The only mainline game with meh reviews is 6. It would be nice if people stopped pretending 7 is the first good game since 3.
I mean, 6 is bad and it's unrecognizable from the series and 5 was super dudebero, are you surprised that after all these years people are singing praises to a game that is basically first person Resident Evil 1? I wouldn't.

But I am the first post?
That's one bad first post.

Vinc

I loved VII for the most part, but I feel like it had been too long since the last mainline RE for it to be a good idea. It simply took too much time. If the series came out every 2 years, I feel like VII might have done better. It would've still been in people's psyche, and people would only have to wait 4 years between action installments if that one was poorly received.

But I am the first post?

"RE6 damaged the brand". Yet it's HD port sold a million from last year and another 100K on top of that.
I think it's time to accept that RE6 isn't the Death kneel to the series people think it is. Since if that was the case it wouldn't be selling still.

As for RE7 I do think it's biggest issue in terms of selling more units was the first person view. It hurt the game in other regions and really only offered those playing in VR something.

Had we essentially gotten the game same game in Third Person. I honesty think it'd have at least cleared 4 million by now.
Nah, it is easy to just call the first person view as being a hurdle but there were several factors that contributed to the decline.

1. Lack of replay value
2. Lack of co-op/multiplayer
3. Lack of the fan favorite characters. Who the fuck is even Ethan?

There are more reasons on why it wasn't able to achieve the same success. The creature design is another factor and this was funny since Resident Evil is pretty iconic for its creature design.

They will hit 4 million sales by the end of the year, That is a great return for a game that was coming off the crap that was Resident evil 6, Trying a new perspective, Whilst adding and implementing the best version of VR.

Even if they go back to the action QTE rubbish with 8, I'll say playing R7 in VR is the best Resident Evil experience i have had since playing the first game way back on the PS1.

I mean, 6 is bad and it's unrecognizable from the series and 5 was super dudebero, are you surprised that after all these years people are singing praises to a game that is basically first person Resident Evil 1? I wouldn't.

Doesn't make them less obnoxious. I dont like RE6 at all but RE5 is an extremely good game and it's the best selling game in the series for a reason. Calling it dude bro is exactly what I'm talking about. You don't like it. Okay fine. That doesn't make it a bad game. It's extremely well made which is why it sells shit tons everytime they re release it

Renekton

Vd49PKj.jpg

WTF I remember Steam reviews were poor near launch. When did opinions on it change?

Ahasverus

All I want is for Capcom to just copy and paste RE6 mechanics to Dead Rising so those "Look at that AWESOME zombie punch bro" guys can go elsewhere.
Doesn't make them less obnoxious. I dont like RE6 at all but RE5 is an extremely good game and it's the best selling game in the series for a reason. Calling it dude bro is exactly what I'm talking about. You don't like it. Okay fine. That doesn't make it a bad game. It's extremely well made which is why it sells shit tons everytime they re release it
5 is a great game, but if you were a fan since the start, it would look too militarized and removed from the franchise tone.

Meanwhile, 7 is just in the one of 1-2. Of course it would be the spiritual darling of the fanbase, and not the 2 (3?) Past action games.

Mar 2016 Resident Evil 6 PS4/Xbox one/DL 1.1
Oct 2012 Resident Evil 6 PS3/Xbox 360/DL 6.8

Close to 8 million units across every release? This makes me so glad. It's baffling people hate RE6 and are so incredibly salty about it being a succesful entry.

Mar 2009 Resident Evil 5 PS3/Xbox 360/DL 7.2
Feb 2010 Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition PS3/Xbox 360/ DL 2.3

Seems like the current-gen release of RE5 never got around selling over 1 million units, but still, it's very impressive to see a game with such a large focus on co-op selling so well (personally, I find the campaign borderline unplayable without a second player, unlike RE6).

Dec 2005 Resident Evil 4 PS2 2.3
May 2007 Resident Evil 4 Wii edition Wii 2.0
Jan 2005 Resident Evil 4 GC 1.6

I actually expected this title to have sold over 1 million units when it released for last-gen as well. Personally, while I loved playing it, I remember having mixed feelings with it for all the changes they had made. Kind of impressive that both the Wii version and the PS2 version outsold the GC, but I guess it speaks more to how small the install base was for the GC than anything else.

Maxey

All I want is for Capcom to just copy and paste RE6 mechanics to Dead Rising so those "Look at that AWESOME zombie punch bro" guys can go elsewhere.
That's actually a great idea. Dead Rising is not exactly in its best shape either, so that could help bring it back.

RE 4 and 5 were great. If you go more action oriented than 5, it basically becomes Gears of War with zombies (e.g. RE6).

It's all about pacing, enemy types, and the RE "vibe" to me, and 6 was a bit too much Gears of War.

7 is good, but won't get nearly the playtime as 4 or 5 from me.

Jawmuncher

But I am the first post?

Nah, it is easy to just call the first person view as being a hurdle but there were several factors that contributed to the decline.

1. Lack of replay value
2. Lack of co-op/multiplayer
3. Lack of the fan favorite characters. Who the fuck is even Ethan?

There are more reasons on why it wasn't able to achieve the same success. The creature design is another factor and this was funny since Resident Evil is pretty iconic for its creature design.

Guess that's true.
I will say however that as of late RE has had a bad issue with enemy design. 5,6, & 7 had way too much goopy stuff going on.

I think regardless of what style you like, we can all agree they need to go back to more solid monster designs. Stuff like the tyrants, hunters, lickers, instead of black goopy stuff like the molded, uroborous, and The last boss in Adas campaign to name a few.

Vd49PKj.jpg

WTF I remember Steam reviews were poor near launch. When did opinions on it change?

The general opinion, especially after 7 has gone up on the game after it was seen as not being the only style the series would be in and taking it for what it was. It's by no means a perfect game, but it does have redeeming qualities. Which I think most people are coming around on. Especially when Weaker sections can be balanced out now with skills or the chapter select (QTEs can also be disabled now).

5 is a great game, but if you were a fan since the start, it would look too militarized and removed from the franchise tone.

Meanwhile, 7 is just in the one of 1-2. Of course it would be the spiritual darling of the fanbase, and not the 2 (3?) Past action games.

Lol. Dead Rising isn't coming back anytime soon with the sales of 4. Dino Crisis coming back with a RE6 style is more likely.

Ahasverus

I think regardless of what style you like, we can all agree they need to go back to more solid monster designs. Stuff like the tyrants, hunters, lickers, instead of black goopy stuff like the molded, uroborous, and The last boss in Adas campaign to name a few.
YES. It's not the same to shut a blob of goo than a thing that was once human. That's why that fat guy from RE7 might be its only memorable normal monster. All of the bosses were cool.

If I were the director of RE. I'd be calling Mashairo Ito all day and night to work on the designs of my game. Like, seriously, it's a no-brainer.

RE 4 and 5 were great. If you go more action oriented than 5, it basically becomes Gears of War with zombies (e.g. RE6).

It's all about pacing, enemy types, and the RE "vibe" to me, and 6 was a bit too much Gears of War.

7 is good, but won't get nearly the playtime as 4 or 5 from me.

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. The big paradigm shift for the series happened with RE4, RE6 is just a more refined form of that action. And it's not like you need to become completely immersed in the mechanics of RE6 to enjoy the campaign, you can play it pretty much like RE4 or 5. Sure, the story in RE6 goes bigger than previous games, but it's also very much commendable how it succesfully blends big action with quieter, more suspenseful moments with great gameplay.

Possible that we're seeing zombie fatigue in the mainstream?

Resident Evil 6 debuted just 2 years after the Walking Dead series aired, so zombies were still relatively fresh, commercially speaking.

Ahasverus

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. The big paradigm shift for the series happened with RE4, RE6 is just a more refined form of that action. And it's not like you need to become completely immersed in the mechanics of RE6 to enjoy the campaign, you can play it pretty much like RE4 or 5. Sure, the story in RE6 goes bigger than previous games, but it's also very much commendable how it succesfully blends big action with quieter, more suspenseful moments with great gameplay.
Its pacing, story and level design are also crap so there's that.

There's a reason why diehards love 4, like to love 5 and dislike 6.

6 is not more refined than 4, it's clunkier, it's dumber, it's not bigger but bloated, it's silly, like, too damn silly, and the level/scenario design is unadulterated crap to the point it goes to parody.

Punching boulders was ridiculous enough and then we got to punching zombies.

RE6 can GTFO.

Peroroncino

Possible that we're seeing zombie fatigue in the mainstream?

Resident Evil 6 debuted just 2 years after the Walking Dead series aired, so zombies were still relatively fresh, commercially speaking.

Zombies were big way before TWD, games like Left 4 Dead 1, 2 or even previous RE games are a proof of that.

Zombies were big way before TWD, games like Left 4 Dead 1, 2 or even previous RE games are a proof of that.

I'm aware. I was referring to the broader mainstream audience who're more exposed to the zombie hysteria than ever, now with it coming on television every week with WD and now FotWD. That's the audience to whom the RE franchise is trying to tap, right?

Cwarrior

Forum posters just need to accept the resident evil franchise has never been in any danger, the main series & spin off have always been doning very well, hell it's the only game Franchise with successful Hollywood movies and Japanese cgi movies.

Re6 is not the franchise killer delusional poster are making it out be, if it was why would it's re-release sell another 1.1 million, selling over 8 million is a great number for pretty much any video game.

There a future for both action and horror re.

RE7's biggest strength is its polish. It's a polished, cohesive game. RE6 is kinda top heavy and erratic. There are many reasons to prefer one or the other, but RE7 is polished. It's the first truly polished RE title since RE4.

Jawmuncher

I will say that if anything. These sales in my eyes show that capcom really needs to go to that 3 pillar structure and not just rely on one style going forward.

Do stuff like RE7
Do stuff like RE4
Do some other stuff as well

Even if other fans have to wait. Try and make your divided fanbase happy. Even if it's not with every game you put out.

In what universe is 74% on Metacritic with 21 positive, 12 mixed, and one negative review "panned"? RE6 is a divisive game, certainly. And its 7th gen console versions were... not great. But "divisive" and "panned" are very different things.

It's not like the opinions of professional critics, nor Metacritic, have any bearing on a game's inherent quality, but I've never understood how people can actually believe RE6 was "panned" by critics. It's like believing that Donkey Kong 64 wasn't universally acclaimed.

74%? lol, I think you mean 67%. The 360 version received over twice as many reviews as the PS3, so that's the score we refer to. Same reason why we almost always refer to PS4 version scores this gen.

And sorry but that score is fucking horrible for a major franchise like RE. It was panned.

And of course it was impossible to express this like an adult, you just HAD to make that bitter, whiny first post, right?

Top Bottom