• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Details multiple devkits evolution of Orbis

nib95

Banned
I love how he writes a giant paragraph for the PS4 and a little one for Xbox720, unbiased my ass.

He's a techie/dev and probably see's more value in Orbis than Durango (based on rumoured specs). Nothing wrong with that. The persecution complex from some in here is quite ironic.

Talk about 1080p 60 fps seems so premature. What's the point of comparison? Current gen games?

Not really from the beginning this is what we heard Sony wanted along with 3D .
Now i don't expect all games to be 1080p or 60fps but Sony biggest IP will be both and maybe even 3D .
Seem Sony going to give Kaz the perfect system for GT6 .

From what I can tell, he doesn't know much about the next gen console and is speculating. He also assumes the leaks to be true and have 100% of the information.

Spongebob

Banned
He's a techie/dev and probably see's more value in Orbis than Durango (based on rumoured specs). Nothing wrong with that. The persecution complex from some in here is quite ironic.

The blog post seems to me to be fueled by his hatred of MS and Directx.

nib95

Banned
From what I can tell, he doesn't know much about the next gen console and is speculating. He also assumes the leaks to be true and have 100% of the information.

The above is true, as he himself has stated, but it's still interesting to hear a developers take based on the perspective of the rumoured specs. Essentially 99% of those who have been posting have done exactly what he is or has done, only he's a little bit more knowledgeable on such matters than most.

Lol.

The above is true, as he himself has stated, but it's still interesting to hear a developers take based on the perspective of the rumoured specs. Essentially 99% of those who have been posting have done exactly what he is or has done, only he's a little bit more knowledgeable on such matters than most.

another wards:

3.5-4gb of really fast RAM> 5-7gb of much slower RAM is the general consensus.

DieH@rd

Banned

He sees advantages of the "pedal to the medal" coding for the consoles, and in his field, high bandwidth is the holy grail. DirectX on PC is really full of overhead, latencies, and hundred other disadvantages over console space.

I hope he will wrote about both consoles when he gets his hands on them.

Well if he is speculating on the leaks nothing is wrong with that , it's the same as everyone here .
Still unlike most of us here he does have a idea what he's talking about , when more info comes out about the systems he always free to change his outlook on either one .

Durante

You are being ridiculous. Like many technically competent people (especially those who still have what I'd call youthful enthusiasm ;)) he likes the idea of telling hardware exactly what to do, and is inspired by its possibilities.

Saying that someone is biased because he is not equally enthusiastic about all architectures is lunacy on a similar level as demanding equal time for intelligent design and evolution in the classroom.

So from what I have read, these are the reasons Sony should put Cell in PS4:

1. They have already figured out how to do it, and theoretically it should not add much to the cost of system.
2. Having BC enables them to continue to sell PSN games and perhaps make back any of the costs they put into adding Cell.
3. Being able to play older titles will encourage brand loyalty and will make the system much more attractive while its library is still small.
4. For PS4 titles, the cell could be used to give a good amount of additional power.

They should go for it.

Durante

So from what I have read, these are the reasons Sony should put Cell in PS4:

1. They have already figured out how to do it, and theoretically it should not add much to the cost of system.
2. Having BC enables them to continue to sell PSN games and perhaps make back any of the costs they put into adding Cell.
3. Being able to play older titles will encourage brand loyalty and will make the system much more attractive while its library is still small.
4. For PS4 titles, the cell could be used to give a good amount of additional power.

They should go for it.
2-4 are fair points, but I don't think 1 is true. Unless you put a really large value on "not much".

nib95

Banned
Lol all you want, but why would he think that MS, who have spent more time developing the Xbox's OS than Sony would just throw vanilla Windows 8 into nextbox? That's the type of comment I would expect to see from a fanboy.

I think you need to open you eyes.

I don't think he stated there would be vanilla Windows, just a version of it. Which is a possibility. Especially given the rumoured 3GB reserved ram allocation for the OS.

ZaCH3000

thats kinda the definition of bias.

No it isn't. Bias is an unfair prejudice in favor of one thing over an other. Simply stating you are excited for the possibilities of one product given its rumored specs over another products rumored specs isn't a bias if the products use different architectures (they do).

Jack_AG

Banned
thats kinda the definition of bias.
Being biased doesn't automatically mean you have an agenda against something else - people often believe that's what it means. Bias is a preference. He might be completely indifferent or disinterested and that's fine, too - but that should NOT be treated like an agenda.

Having an agenda is another topic for another day.

Jack_AG

Banned
No it isn't. Bias is an unfair prejudice in favor of one thing over an other. Simply stating you are excited for the possibilities of one product given its rumored specs over another products rumored specs isn't a bias if the products use different architectures (they do).

Preference != Prejudice

Bias is preference. Agenda is prejudice. Get it right.

Actually preferring something over something else is part of bias. It doesn't matter if he shows it or not. Unfair prejudices is just what he is doing, judging things before he even have the full picture.

Being biased doesn't automatically mean you have an agenda against something else - people often believe that's what it means. Bias is a preference. He might be completely indifferent or disinterested and that's fine, too - but that should NOT be treated like an agenda.

Having an agenda is another topic for another day.

not saying he has an agenda.

Okay I think I overreacted a little, sorry.

A little?
SpongebobLXFBN17:28

Not going to lie man, you come off as a huge Sony fanboy. This blogpost is fueled by your hatred of Microsoft and Directx. If Microsoft are going to have Kinect as a pack-in with Durango, its highly unlikely that their box will be profitable on day 1. We also have some deveopers who are saying that the difference between the two platforms are small and that things are pretty much a wash.

I think you're a little to emotionally invested.

Holy fuck - you are in a RUMOR thread. Get over it. We are all judging based on rumors because... that's all we have.

SMH

Well you can judge all you want. Its fair to speculate. But if you just come to any conclusion without all the facts, then you just have to accept you are being biased.

Jack_AG

Banned
Well you can judge all you want. Its fair to speculate. But if you just come to any conclusion without all the facts, then you just have to accept you are being biased.
So he explicitly said that his comments are gospel? Or are YOU judging him by assuming he did anything other than give his thoughts on rumors.

Bro, you're reading too much into it. There's a lot we dont know about next-gen and you can only comment about what you read and a LOT of people fear the same with the nextbox - his comments are par for the course thus far but i'm not buying into it be it Orbis or Durango. Just read it and put it away without a second thought.

That's all you can do. Keep the salt handy and take a grain with each rumor then use it on food cuz hey - free salt!

So he explicitly said that his comments are gospel? Or are YOU judging him by assuming he did anything other than give his thoughts on rumors.

Bro, you're reading too much into it. There's a lot we dont know about next-gen and you can only comment about what you read and a LOT of people fear the same with the nextbox - his comments are par for the course thus far but i'm not buying into it be it Orbis or Durango. Just read it and put it away without a second thought.

That's all you can do. Keep the salt handy and take a grain with each rumor then use it on food cuz hey - free salt!
I was never even talking directly about him. I only mentioned that preferring 1 thing over another is pretty much what bias is. I don't really care if he is bias or not and I have not said he is. I don't even know why you keep assuming I am calling him biased.

ZaCH3000

Preference != Prejudice

Bias is preference. Agenda is prejudice. Get it right.

Bias is a preference influenced by prejudice that favors one thing over another. I fail to see prejudice or unfairness in his blog. Its semantics. Moreover, I don't see how my definition is wrong in the context of my post. I'm not wrong, and your post that I'm quoting proves it. Perhaps your post wasn't aimed in my direction. Anyway, I digress.

How much cost does everyone think the rumored Dual-Camera will add to the PS4?

because it costs a lot? guys, this might not even be priced a $399, why would you want it costing $499/599? Because if you want PS3 emulation, it is going to be shit expensive.

The device in the patent can use a shared memory pool that's outside of the Processing Element. It doesn't NEED XDR either, and because of that, doesn't need a different memory bus.

KiteGr

Can someone please make a thread that has this gen's and next gens (rumored) specs on a bar/chart as far as TFLOPS/power/graphics are concnerned ? Thanx :)

spwolf

The device in the patent can use a shared memory pool that's outside of the Processing Element. It doesn't NEED XDR either, and because of that, doesn't need a different memory bus.

so whats left? Cell + Fan + larger PSU? Or Cell + gigantic Fan + RSX + larger psu?

1st option probably around $80 and 2nd at least $150 from last Slim teardown (out of my behind).

I cant see that happening. Even if it is "just" cell, we are going back over 200w and to fat PS3 level.

Spongebob

Banned
Can someone please make a thread that has this gen's and next gens (rumored) specs on a bar/chart as far as TFLOPS/power/graphics are concnerned ? Thanx :)

Not sure if its this thread or the last one, but someone made a chart comparing Durango and Orbis.

Ok the more I think on this, the more I'm convinced there will be both PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility in the PS4. Adding a 6 Spu processing unit to the chip set shouldn't be all that difficult. It would make financial sense to have the ability to sale PSN legacy games well into the next generation. And the spu's can help with the heavy lifting on PS4 games for improved proformance.

I'm about 90% sure this will happen.

Ok the more I think on this more I'm convinced there will be both PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility in the PS4. Adding adding a 6 Spu processing unit to the chip set should be all that difficult. It would make financial sense to have the ability to sale PSN legacy games well into the next generation. And the spu's can help with the heavy lifting on PS4 games for improved proformance.

how does it make financial sense?

so whats left? Cell + Fan + larger PSU? Or Cell + gigantic Fan + RSX + larger psu?

1st option probably around $80 and 2nd at least $150 from last Slim teardown (out of my behind).

I cant see that happening. Even if it is "just" cell, we are going back over 200w and to fat PS3 level.

There's no need to add RSX. The one good thing about RSX being nothing special is that the PS4 gpu could emulate it. And adding some spu's shouldn't drastically effect the over all power draw.

Ok the more I think on this more I'm convinced there will be both PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility in the PS4. Adding adding a 6 Spu processing unit to the chip set should be all that difficult. It would make financial sense to have the ability to sale PSN legacy games well into the next generation. And the spu's can help with the heavy lifting on PS4 games for improved proformance.

Given the success of PS+ and how robust PSN is, it's very difficult to think of how Sony could justify NOT putting in any BC.

PS2 BC is probably not that big of a deal by now, but no PS3 BC means they're pretty much starting from scratch in terms of PSN content. Including some kind of solution will literally pay for itself in downloadable games and PS+ subscriptions several times over per console.

maybe i'm understanding it wrong, but you're basically saying is that you've got your regular ps4, with a uma pool of 4gb, 8 core cpu and whatever amd gpu they have and they can just add this cell like chip that can access everything else without much trouble?

ok, i'm a believer now.

It makes financial sense because the money spent to all an Spu based compute unit "should" that be rather small. Especially when compared with the financial benefits of allowing new PS4 owners to continue to buy PS3 retail and PSN games.
The cost of integration is pretty high.

nib95

Banned
In the long run it does make financial sense. The sales from PSN psOne, PS2 and PS3 games could be substantial. Unless they can just figure out complete software emulation ala PS3 later models.

It might add to much complexity and additional cost to the console itself though if we're talking hardware bc. But who knows what the complexity of adding just some SPEs or Cell is based off of this patent.

LAMBO

There will be no BC one gen back on any console, being able to emulate the last gen with the current is usually impossible. Be prepared or be disappointed, if you want to play 360 or ps3 games don't sell your consoles. Sorry you bought all those games thinking you would be playing them on your 720 or ps4, but your expectations were ridiculous.

The real question is, will the ps4 play ps2 games? Will the 720 play OG xbox games? I wasn't planning to buy another console next gen, but if Sony said full BC with ps2 games i'd buy one.

Top Bottom