• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

Reiko

Banned
Take this info as you will.

@superDaE GAF aka the sony fanboy jackass forum is convinced Orbis is going to destroy durango in power, can you please offer a rebuttal?

Dan ‏@superDaE
Durango info released in past was old, which, when Orbis info came out, made Orbis look a whole lot better. Derp.

He tweeted the above 5 hours ago.

Excuse the vitriol from the console warrior GAF.

HDD hybrid. If they wanted hybrids, any time they wanted a new HDD SKU, they'd need to change their orders on the drives.

If they built it onto the system, they'd have parity on every device except for HDD.

I'm not sure if it will help with this, but if having flash helps not only loading times, but how instantly you can switch to or call up other services from any point in the OS, then I'm all for it.

Oh shit...

Oh shit!!!

You better be right Bruce, or else I'm calling

BruceLeroy.gif

To whup yo ass! =)

Best response ever. HAHAHA

Reiko

Banned
SuperDaE is a troll...I wouldn't believe anything he says. The ONLY person I trust now is Lherre.

He also said both consoles are a wash.

Nothing in that tweet even indicates Durango being more powerful.

The power gap between Orbis and Durango could actually be a lot smaller.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SuperDAE has access to Xbox devkits, no? He's the one who made the photo and then sold the original devkit. I wouldn't just dismiss what he's saying. On the other hand, the detailed Durango GPU leak was very recent.

Take this info as you will.

Excuse the vitriol from the console warrior GAF.

From day 1 he's dumped on sony, so I won't really care what he says.

SuperDAE has access to Xbox devkits, no? He's the one who made the photo and then sold the original devkit. I wouldn't just dismiss what he's saying. On the other hand, the detailed Durango GPU leak was very recent.

Seriously, this is the info HE leaked. I mean... really? This dude is damage controlling the shit he leaked.

i-Lo

This is what Aegeis followed by Lherre (in response to Aegeis) had to say in another thread (Durango GPU):

I said the leaks are accurate as of last February, because that's the date on all the documentation I've seen. Smart posters should be able to figure out why.

Because the specs didn't change. Simply as that.

Alpha kits -> Beta kits -> Final kits

Beta kits are more or less final kits (final silicon).

DieH@rd

Banned
Upping the RAM in Orbis is incredibly unlikely.

Highly unlikely yes, but possible if they have left the room for such expansion - support of changing 32bit pathway to one 512MB chip into 32bit pathway to two 512chips connected into clamshell mode [one on both sides of mobo, connected to the same pins].

I still hope for stacked ram on interposer.

PS4 has Wifi N, but, again, it's one step behind as Wifi AC is supposed to come out around the same time as the next-gen consoles and won't be in them. Here's hoping it'll be added in a future revision.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Can anyone answer if any of the games they've seen or heard made them giddy with joy? I want to feel that moment where you hear an announcement and jump around the room going, "OH MY GOD!" I haven't had a moment like that since the Killzone 2 demo.

This is what Aegeis followed by Lherre (in response to Aegeis) had to say in another thread (Durango GPU):

My contact who works for a certain developer confirms what Lherre said. He explained to me that Microsofts intentions with their dev kits was for them to be pretty much be final spec.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sony is already going with a beefier GPU and 4GB of GDDR5.

People wanting more must want Sony to break the bank. They are already going to provide the most powerful console in the market.

This. We were jumping for joy at the rumours of a bump to 4GB lets not suddenly get down hearted because it isn't 8GB

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Upping the RAM in Orbis is incredibly unlikely. The only things I can see changing in the specs are the OS footprint and blu-ray drive speed. Possibly slight changes in clock speeds of the CPU and GPU. A faster BRD combined with the decompression unit will help streaming a lot which would benefit the Orbis a lot in terms of data caching and would be dramatically cheaper than adding more GDDR5 and altering the memory controller.

I'm just curious if there will be 6 CPU cores available to games or 7. One core will almost definitely be reserved for OS and I'm just wondering if they'll lock another for yields or not.

Bruce, you got me hyped again. Can't wait.

Can't see them locking one for yields, doesn't make sense on tiny CPUs. Sounds like they've already locked off 2CU from the 20 - presumably for yields. That should be enough. I think the question is whether they need 2 cores for OS. Hope not, because that's 25% of available basic CPU

Upping the RAM in Orbis is incredibly unlikely. The only things I can see changing in the specs are the OS footprint and blu-ray drive speed. Possibly slight changes in clock speeds of the CPU and GPU. A faster BRD combined with the decompression unit will help streaming a lot which would benefit the Orbis a lot in terms of data caching and would be dramatically cheaper than adding more GDDR5 and altering the memory controller.

I'm just curious if there will be 6 CPU cores available to games or 7. One core will almost definitely be reserved for OS and I'm just wondering if they'll lock another for yields or not.

Bruce, you got me hyped again. Can't wait.

Well, I think that a single jaguar core should be powerful enough to run the OS with a fraction of its power; thus, I think we can expect to have at least 7 cores available for games.

StevieP

Banned
Well, I think that a single jaguar core should be powerful enough to run the OS with a fraction of its power; thus, I think we can expect to have at least 7 cores available for games.

Jaguar is impressive for what it is, but let's not pretend it's a desktop-class CPU.

This. We were jumping for joy at the rumours of a bump to 4GB lets not suddenly get down hearted because it isn't 8GB

Correct. FYI, it was originally 2GB and considered cost prohibitive to be bumped up. Celebrate in the streets.

i-Lo

My contact who works for a certain developer confirms what Lherre said. He explained to me that Microsofts intentions with their dev kits was for them to be pretty much be final spec.

What do your sources have to say about current EDGE article pertaining to Sony trying to match Durango's 8GB RAM? Do they concur with BruceLeeRoy about the specs being pretty much final at this point and that that part of the article was in error?

Jaguar is impressive for what it is, but let's not pretend it's a desktop-class CPU.

I have a singe core atom netbook that runs windows 7.

I think a Jaguar core is more powerful. I know PS4 OS won't be as bloated as Windows 7.

It doesn't have gobs of floating point math power, but I doubt an 8 core Jaguar will be a bottleneck on either system. It's really not that bad of a CPU for a console.

androvsky

Yeah, they don't need to lock down a core for the OS; what they'd need is to lock down a core for security purposes. Iirc, MS is going with an ARM processor for security which I believe is an AMD design, so with a lack of information a good guess would be that Orbis will do the same.

From what I remember, not even the PS3 locks down a core for the OS. The OS and even the Hypervisor run on the PPC, with the locked SPU providing encryption/decryption services. I don't think OS overhead will be an issue on the PS4.

Correct. FYI, it was originally 2GB and considered cost prohibitive to be bumped up. Celebrate in the streets.

Speaking of desktop, you implied that we wouldn't be seeing "mobile" GPU's in these, are they not mobile GPUs?

Reiko

Banned
I choose to believe this this specific rumor. I plan to constantly reference it in all my fanboy debates.

So who wants to have circular arguments that goes on for at least 20 pages?

I just find it funny that some people are taking rumors at face value while ignoring others. With the console war heating up, that kind of behavior is quite normal.

I just find it funny that some people are taking rumors at face value while ignoring others. With the console war heating up, that kind of behavior is quite normal.

At this point I'm done with rumor mongering. I just wanna see the games. I'm sure both systems will look great.

Truth is to me it's to early to say which system has the upper hand .
The first year of software hardly ever uses the system power or parts that great .
If anything the second year will tell us that .

Ashes

Banned

Didn't devs last year say they thought x3 would be a sales leader over the next 5 years? That must had been a pretty good sales pitch. Or was that just a poor IGN survey?

Top Bottom