• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

i-Lo

I still worry about plebeians being swayed by the "8 v 4" instead of looking just one layer deeper. It will really troubling if the ad campaigns target that specific "numerical" difference. Hopefully, it will not come to bite Sony in the ass.

But in the Edge article they said it was already at 4GB and that Sony was looking to match the performance of MS's 8GB. In what other way can they match it? It's already faster. Soooo?.......

The talk of going from 2 to 4 already happened.

I (and some others I know) think they'll have flash storage. That in combination of the HDD, high bandwidth memory and the zlib decompressor, we think it'll "negate" any advantage MS has with the 8gigs.

Saroyan

on the ten year thing.. The ps3 is six years old now and about to be replaced as it's well behind high end pc's now so where does this ten year thing come from?

Well Sony won't just take the PS3 off the market because of a new console, it could easily sell for another few years. I'm pretty sure they only stopped manufacturing the PS2 around a month or two ago.

I still worry about plebeians being swayed by the "8 v 4" instead of looking just one layer deeper. It will really troubling if the ad campaigns target that specific "numerical" difference. Hopefully, it will not come to bite Sony in the ass.

If someone has to brag about their RAM size to differentiate themselves from the competition then they're already in trouble.

E-Cat

Gold Member
I (and some others I know) think they'll have flash storage. That in combination of the HDD, high bandwidth memory and the zlib decompressor, we think it'll "negate" any advantage MS has with the 8gigs.
Do you mean that the flash could speed up loading times and such? It'd have to be included in every SKU, however, for devs to specifically target for it.

KageMaru

Maybe someone should make a next gen comparison thread so that just orbis can be discussed here or just Durango discussed in the correct thread?

Are people just talking about graphics when comparing PD and Turn10?

I don't think people here should dog on Turn10, from what I see they can't compete visually but they seem to be really good at putting more games out, all of them on a quality comparable to GT.

I don't know what's better between those 2 qualities, I don't like racing sims.

Not sure how the GT/Forza comparisons even started but it doesn't mean much regarding the machines they run on. The xbox was ~2 stronger than the PS2, but GT4 looked better than Forza 1 while running at a higher frame rate. PD just has more experienced artists and as you mentioned, more time to tweak things. Both are quite capable, but IMO that discussion is best left for another thread.

First time I'm hearing this. I rather them have the RAM they need than rely on tricks.

meta4

Looking for RAM solutions in Orbis is like looking for special sauce in Durango. I just don't see it. But we'll see in a year or so.

So when did Ram problems for Orbis pop up? Am i missing something here? I thought 4GB GDDR5 was more than enough according to everyone.

Violater

So when did Ram problems for Orbis pop up? Am i missing something here? I thought 4GB GDDR5 was more than enough according to everyone.

image.php

Its a riddle.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I am less interested in the tech of the consoles and more interested in the looks. Whenever consoles are revealed nowadays, I'm always more interested in the aesthetics of the consoles than the actual stuff inside of it.

But every gen I am always disappointed because it always turned out to be another box. I want some crazy ass shit design to go down up in here, yo.

My graphics obsessing days are well behind me to be sure.

Agreed. I want another Nintendo (Ultra) 64 or gen 1 PS2 damnit. I loved those designs.

We'll end up with slightly curved box or one with an 'inhale' though sadly.

BadWolf

How does the Durango's 8GB compare to PS4's 4GB GDDR5? Is the total amount of ram about the same in output or is one faster than the other (as a whole)?

Reiko

Banned
How does the Durango's 8GB compare to PS4's 4GB GDDR5? Is the total amount of ram about the same in output or is one faster than the other (as a whole)?

It's very slow compared to GDDR5. Either we're missing something here in Durango specs or that article is bullshit.

Do you mean that the flash could speed up loading times and such? It'd have to be included in every SKU, however, for devs to specifically target for it.

You're right, it would be in every console. It's also very cheap. I haven't heard any rumors of the dev kits having any though. Maybe the HDD's in the units are hybrids though? We don't know.

i-Lo

I think most people were elated when the amount of RAM was supposedly upped from 2GB to 4GB (3.5GB usable as opposed to 1.5GB under the original configuration with 512MB being consumed for OS). However, when the recent article from EDGE came along proclaiming that they have heard that Sony are trying to match MS's 8GB, imagination once again ran wild and what most were previously more than satisfied with, all of a sudden felt 4GB to be lacking when compared to say, 6GB GDDR5. The human psyche always favours possible improvement over stagnation which then become tantamount to a demotion. I was also hoping for an amount larger than 4GB even if it was just .5GB more which would left all of the 4GB for game usage. Of course, it is like grasping at imaginary straws which are founded upon performance related speculation in vacuum. We have nothing to go on as of now in terms of real world performance and potential difference between 3.5GB GDDR5 and 5-6GB DDR3+32 ESRAM.

You're right, it would be in every console. It's also very cheap. I haven't heard any rumors of the dev kits having any though. Maybe the HDD's in the units are hybrids though? We don't know.

What would be more expensive? Flash memory and a fast controller (which I think is necessary to make a diffference?) or adding flash to an HDD to make a hybrid drive?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Upping the RAM in Orbis is incredibly unlikely. The only things I can see changing in the specs are the OS footprint and blu-ray drive speed. Possibly slight changes in clock speeds of the CPU and GPU. A faster BRD combined with the decompression unit will help streaming a lot which would benefit the Orbis a lot in terms of data caching and would be dramatically cheaper than adding more GDDR5 and altering the memory controller.

I'm just curious if there will be 6 CPU cores available to games or 7. One core will almost definitely be reserved for OS and I'm just wondering if they'll lock another for yields or not.

Bruce, you got me hyped again. Can't wait.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Have you heard rumors about games as well? Apologize if you have already answered such a question.

Here's the thing: there is a lot of information floating around BUT out of respect for creators and for the thrill of surprises - most of it will hopefully remain under wraps.

i-Lo

Here's the thing: there is a lot of information floating around BUT out of respect for creators and for the thrill of surprises - most of it will hopefully remain under wraps.

Then tell us this much, pertaining to Orbis' games: Did they meet your expectations given what you came to learn about the hardware, especially since they are the launch games that were in development when the Orbis' specs were in a state of flux (RAM)?

I know the answer will be subjective, but I would like to know it nonetheless. While you inform me of that, I would like to ask a "control" question: What did you think of FF13's visuals (PS3) overall?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Crytek has been pretty vocl how much they would like to see.
From the sounds of things, they won't be getting that much ram to work with on either machine anyway, but I'm genuinely curious as to how they would put 8GB of relatively slow RAM to use, especially when there's an optical disc drive as a baseline from which to load stuff into that RAM. Clearly they wouldn't just load assets there because that would take forever, so what exactly? Precalculate some things and store at runtime? Could something interesting be done with that?

What would be more expensive? Flash memory and a fast controller (which I think is necessary to make a diffference?) or adding flash to an HDD to make a hybrid drive?

HDD hybrid. If they wanted hybrids, any time they wanted a new HDD SKU, they'd need to change their orders on the drives.

If they built it onto the system, they'd have parity on every device except for HDD.

Reiko

Banned
From the sounds of things, they won't be getting that much ram to work with on either machine, anyway, but I'm genuinely curious as to how they would put 8GB of relatively slow RAM to use, especially when there's an optical disc drive as a baseline from which to load stuff into that RAM. Clearly they wouldn't just load assets there because that would take forever, so what exactly? Precalculate some things and store at runtime? Could something interesting be done with that?

I would assume they're satisfied since Ryse is Durango exclusive. We'll have to see how that works out.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Then tell us this much, pertaining to Orbis' games: Did they meet your expectations given what you came to learn about the hardware, especially since they are the launch games that were in development when the Orbis' specs were in a state of flux (RAM)?

I know the answer will be subjective, but I would like to know it nonetheless. While you inform me of that, I would like to ask a "control" question: What did you think of FF13's visuals (PS3) overall?

I don't think people will be disappointed.

As for FFXIII...visually it was hit and miss. The environments looked nice for the most part but there were many cases of low res textures, especially in the open environments. The character models were by far the most disappointing - failing to live up to the promise of the original 2006 target render.

i-Lo

I don't think people will be disappointed.

As for FFXIII...visually it was hit and miss. The environments looked nice for the most part but there were many cases of low res textures, especially in the open environments. The character models were by far the most disappointing - failing to live up to the promise of the original 2006 target render.

Ah, thank you.

Top Bottom