• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vibram Five Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Conceited said:
They say they reduce pain+stress+chance of injury but I didn't notice that.

Your feet and legs need to become acclimated to the new gait requires to run in them (instead of heel striking, you lend on the balls of your feet). Vibram state that one should walk in them for a week or so before running too.

I've been running in them for a couple of months and I can't see myself jogging in sneakers at all. These things are freeing. Also the pain in my left knee that would annoy me when jogging in sneakers hasn't occurred once i acquired my vibrams.

Freshmaker said:
It says nothing other than that heel striking is bad. Get a minimalist shoe and you're fine.

You aren't reading. That study wasn't looking at heel versus forefoot striking. It was looking at reduced foot positional awareness and increased ankle instability caused by shoes.

SonnyBoy

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I was reading some reports about how unhealthy shoes are (like this one), and I need new shoes anyway so I was looking into possible options.

One that caught my eye was Vibram Five Fingers. They are pretty ugly, but they are relatively cheap compared to other "barefoot shoes" and function over appearance and all that.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on GAF had these or other shoes that simulate being barefoot and what you think about them.

Here's a pic of them.

large.jpg

I own that exact pair and they are worth every penny. I've actually purchased 2 pair as gifts for friends and they love them too. You'll never hike or run a trail without them again.

However, I'm not one of the people that'll wear them to the mall or to a wedding. :lol Some people take shit too far.

I've been wanting to pick up a pair to train in for a while now. My sisters and mother are big time joggers and always comment that I already have a natural tendency to run on the balls of my feet. The arches in my feet are pretty high, and I'd like to keep them strong since I do a lot of high-impact cardio which seems to be catching up with me.

East Lake

adamsappel said:
I'd say you're out of luck. You do have to size them perfectly and I think it would be pretty uncomfortable with either a size that would fit your foot (but your toe would be cramped) or a size that could accommodate your toe (but the heel would be too long).
Wouldn't hurt to try a pair on though, my toes are long and it leaves some space in the heel but it's not a problem. They're still comfortable and fit well.

Also I don't get the whole fashion issue, they really don't look odd to me. Maybe if a I wore them to a desk job it'd be weird but on a hike or run? Don't get the complaints.

East Lake

Anyone know what to do for running in the winter with these? My main concern isn't really the cold but keeping my feet dry, 'cause if they get wet in low temps it would not be fun.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Antimatter said:
Anyone know what to do for running in the winter with these? My main concern isn't really the cold but keeping my feet dry, 'cause if they get wet in low temps it would not be fun.
As I mentioned before, the Flow model is made with Neoprene. Should work decently well, though I don't have personal experience.

DarkKyo

Been using them to run since last Feb-March... I like em! If you wear them too much your feet will hurt a little bit but they usually make me run for longer periods of time and the experience is very enjoyable.

East Lake

Monroeski said:
As I mentioned before, the Flow model is made with Neoprene. Should work decently well, though I don't have personal experience.
Woops, missed that. Those do look like they'd work better. I ran in my sprints last night and it was probably in the low 40's, hit a puddle and my toes got wet. They were numb for a minute or two but it wore off. When it drops another thirty degrees around here it'll be a lot different. :lol

Vandiger

I like em, I would wear them every day if I could. Perfect shoes for workouts and running, great boat shoes, beaches, etc. I think the only negatives are the cost and most of the time sold out if you want various models they carry. They may look strange but its one of the most comfortable shoes to wear after some use.

I ended up getting a pair of the KSO Treks in brown, and I love them. Got a pair of toe-socks to go with them, and they help when I am wearing them for a long time.

I always get compliments on how they look, so not too worried about looking silly.

DarkKyo

NomarTyme said:
I wear KSO and I don't care what people think.
Same lol.. I don't go running because I care what people think, it just feels good.

Also, they make you look like a ninja.

Why would I want cloth inbetween my toes? That's suppose to make me feel "barefoot?" You're adding more cloth-to-skin contact, not less.

grumble

Mr. B Natural said:
Why would I want cloth inbetween my toes? That's suppose to make me feel "barefoot?" You're adding more cloth-to-skin contact, not less.

So your toes can wiggle independently?

Cyan

Banned
I wish it were easier to tell the difference between dumb fads and stuff that's actually effective. (see also: Chi running, "don't stretch before running" advocates... no clue on either of those)

I've had knee problems for a while, and would love to try these, but they're a bit expensive to buy speculatively. Plus, I'm not even sure they're made in my size (12 1/2).

Cyan said:
I wish it were easier to tell the difference between dumb fads and stuff that's actually effective. (see also: Chi running, "don't stretch before running" advocates... no clue on either of those)

I've had knee problems for a while, and would love to try these, but they're a bit expensive to buy speculatively. Plus, I'm not even sure they're made in my size (12 1/2).

Try running barefoot first. Go easy and concentrate on a forefoot landing. If you feel okay for the first couple weeks, go for them.

Also, what kind of knee problems are we talking about?

Cyan

Banned
Price Dalton said:
Also, what kind of knee problems are we talking about?
Standard runner's knee. Got much better once I started using a foam roller on the IT bands, but they still often get sore after a long run.

Cyan said:
Standard runner's knee. Got much better once I started using a foam roller on the IT bands, but they still often get sore after a long run.

Sounds similar to what I had. Yeah, foam rolling helped a ton, but switching to a barefoot/Vibram run seemed to fix it.

I'd give barefooting on grass or sand (or concrete if you can handle it) a chance. If it helps, it might be worth it to buy the Vibrams.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Cyan said:

I can't say for certain that it would remedy your particular knee issue but it did for me. The way it feels when running in these is almost like tippy toeing and bouncing forward but your knees are bent and the back is straight. I feel very little impact in the knees.

But another factor could be that I run for only 20 minutes. Not sure how my knees would fare if I ran longer than that. With that said, some marathon runners also run in Vibrams.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
davepoobond said:
seems dumb especially with no padding.

they also look stupid.
They definitely don't adhere to the accepted idea of fashionable running footwear, so people are going to assume that you are wearing them for a very good reason.

The lack of padding is the whole idea. The human body is specifically adapted for long distance running. Padding is unnecessary for this purpose and only encourages bad running habits. Those who are fashion conscious can also run in thin sandals.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Cyan said:

Hi Cyan!

If you are an REI member buy from them. They have a 100% satisfaction return policy. You could wear them for a couple months and still return them.

I had to order 4 different pairs to find the right size and style I liked and had no problem returning the others to them.

Foot size might be an issue, but you should actually measure your foot rather than use size as a comparison because of the variability between brands/ sizes.

Just picked mine up on the way home today. Got brown pair of KSO as they didn't have black and I didn't fancy the grey/camo ones. Seem very comfortable, will be wearing them for a week or two before I go running in them, which will aslo give my ankle time to heal from whatever I did to it in a half marathon last week.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have wanted these for so long (love being barefoot) but never got around to getting them. I don't think I'd go for the KSO. I would want either classic or sprint (does the strap get annoying?) for warm weather and the flow for cold and or wet weather. They make a smartwool version of the classic now, that seems freaking awesome, but I somehow doubt I'd ever find them.

I'm going to give these a try. I'll pick up a pair this weekend.

I'm in the military and 10+ years of running/marching occasionally cause my right knee to give out (which eventually leads to a limp while running). I'm also going to give one of those foam rollers a chance as well as ITB thingee I saw on Amazon.

xxracerxx said:
Those shoes would not work for me, simply because my middle toe is longer than my big toe.
My feet are this way and I run a ton in my five fingers. My middle toe is like, significantly longer than my big toe even.

East Lake

Dice said:
I have wanted these for so long (love being barefoot) but never got around to getting them. I don't think I'd go for the KSO. I would want either classic or sprint (does the strap get annoying?)
The strap has never annoyed me, I don't pull it too tight though. Think it's better to keep them a tad loose so your foot can shift around as it strikes the ground. Not loose like they may fall off or something, but if it feels like a certain part is too tight (the toes particularly) it probably is.

Been contemplating getting these, but not sure yet. I like to run a few miles every morning outside, but living in the midwest, I don't know how having barefeet will hold up to harsh winters. I'm one of those weirdos that prefers running in cold weather.

Cyan

Banned
scola said:
Hi Cyan!

If you are an REI member buy from them. They have a 100% satisfaction return policy. You could wear them for a couple months and still return them.
What up scola?

Good notion, I'll see if they've got 'em at the one near me.

elrechazao said:
Exercise is all about how cool you look, get those designer shoes and name brand track suits broski.

Hurr!

Track suits? lol. The person wasn't even exercising and looked ridiculous regardless of the shoes, so...yeah. I know the barefoot movement is growing and it's an intriguing concept (being that padding is actually bad for our feet). You cannot get around the fact that they look ridiculous. I feel they should be able to create a similar barefoot-like effect with a more standard look.

SapientWolf said:
I feel the same way when I see people in $250+ Nikes.

Yeah well, that's also probably due to stupid hair and sunglasses, fake tan and other bullshit. I didn't even know $250 Nikes existed. Colossally dumb.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
thesoapster said:
Hurr!

Track suits? lol. The person wasn't even exercising and looked ridiculous regardless of the shoes, so...yeah. I know the barefoot movement is growing and it's an intriguing concept (being that padding is actually bad for our feet). You cannot get around the fact that they look ridiculous. I feel they should be able to create a similar barefoot-like effect with a more standard look.
I'm sure they could, but they're made for a market that wants something as close to barefoot as possible, in both look and feel. They're more like a glove for your feet than a shoe.

Yeah well, that's also probably due to stupid hair and sunglasses, fake tan and other bullshit. I didn't even know $250 Nikes existed. Colossally dumb.
They certainly do. People who want customs will easily pay twice that.

Update: it's been a few days since my first and only run in these. What they say is true, these make you work muscles you never knew existed. It feels really good. Going for my second run tonight.

Also, my second toe is longer than my big toe on each foot. By around 1/4 inch. Doesn't seem to matter to my feet. Ymmv.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I own them, I love them, screw the haters. The key is not taking it too quickly, as rushing in to too many or too long of runs will hurt you.

Monocle

santouras said:
I really don't get it
My first impression of those shoes was that they look like bondage gear. I found that humorous enough to make a visual joke about it. Bonus: Most people wouldn't wear a bondage mask in public, and I certainly wouldn't be seen wearing those shoes in public, so it works on that level too.

Monocle said:
My first impression of those shoes was that they look like bondage gear. I found that humorous enough to make a visual joke about it. Bonus: Most people wouldn't wear a bondage mask in public, and I certainly wouldn't be seen wearing those shoes in public, so it works on that level too.
Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom