• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vibram Five Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

santouras

elrechazao said:
evidently. The amount of credence people place on what others think of them based on what they wear never ceases to amuse.
especially when they are talking about people that will never, ever see them again

Just ran a 7'55 pace 1.45 mile in these. Felt good. I can notice my run automatically adjusting for the better. Shin pain is almost none. First time in 10 years a run hasn't destroyed my shins.
Feels good man

They could have dildo tipped toes for all I care. They fucking work wonders for me. As I told a friend. "it's like my feet had an epiphany"

Edit: I'm not bragging about speed or pace. Just showing what I'm doing(I know I'm out of shape) In my old adidas running shoes. I'd walk more than I'd run because of the shins. Now it's constant run.

The_Reckoning said:
Just ran a 7'55 pace 1.45 mile in these. Felt good. I can notice my run automatically adjusting for the better. Shin pain is almost none. First time in 10 years a run hasn't destroyed my shins.
Feels good man

They could have dildo tipped toes for all I care. They fucking work wonders for me. As I told a friend. "it's like my feet had an epiphany"

I
bravo, my knees high five your shins.

BobDylan

The_Reckoning said:
Feels good man

Edit: I'm not bragging about speed or pace. Just showing what I'm doing(I know I'm out of shape) In my old adidas running shoes. I'd walk more than I'd run because of the shins. Now it's constant run.

for real. who the fuck cares what they look like. its not like you strapping them on when you're going out in a suit and tie. these things are amazing

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Every time I read this thread title, I think it's about an anthropomorphic frog who's in too deep with the mob.

Shoes look awesome, too. If I ran or hiked more, I'd see if there was any where to get them here.

I bought Vibram KSOs in March in the hopes that they would encourage me to do more hiking, jogging, and trail-running.

In April I went to whitewater-rafting guide school. We did class V rivers in Sierra Nevada run-off rivers (aka ice-fucking-cold). At one point, during guide school, we did the Truckee river during a blizzard, while there was snow on the banks, and it was actually snowing (4/20/10 if you're interested in looking it up). That was the only time I felt they didn't provide enough insulation. I'll be getting some Flows for next spring's river season.

Since guide school I've used these for rafting, trail-running, bouldering, and hiking. They've kept my feet totally warm, even though I've been hanging out in 45 degree snow-runoff water. The only point that has disappointed me is around mid-August when some of the seams began to split (even though I averaged about 4 days/week on the river).

In May I used them for the last 5 miles of a 2-day 20 mile hike in one of the steepest trail hikes in California (Henry W. Coe State Park). My Vibrams were a welcome relief from my hiking boots.

As a raft guide on the American River, I spent a reasonable amount of time running up and down solid granite rock formations on the river. My Chaco-equipped counter-parts were "fucking jealous" at the way I scrambled through boulder fields that they struggled to traverse.

Twice during the rafting season, they actually saved my life (either mentally or actually), when I almost fell out of the raft in gnarly-ass rapids where I probably would have drowned, had it not been for my big toe being caught on the stirrups in the front of the raft. Here is a video if what my trip looked like, except for the part where the guy got sucked out the back of the raft (that's the part where I was half way out of the boat and did a sit-up back in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDzaCMdOd_8

The only drawback I found with them was the amount of time they took to put on versus a regular pair of river shoes. They took an extra minute or two to wiggle my toes into.

AND FINALLY, they were a great conversation piece. My customers thought it was hilarious that they could call their raft guide "captain toe-shoes". I wouldn't normally wear them in public, aside from my job, but one night I was late for a date after work and forgot my street shoes. I wore them to the county fair. I was stopped multiple times by redneck county fair attendees who were like, "OMG, those are amazing. Where'd you get them?! Can I buy them off you right now?" My date also thought they were awesome in quirky, funny kind of way.

In conclusion, I fucking love my Vibram 5 Fingers. Next spring I'm buying a new pair of KSOs AND a pair of Flows. I've never been a runner, jogger, sprinter... let's just say I fucking hate things that involve me going faster than "walking", but I would give a toe for a pair of toe shoes (although I'd worry about how that would effect my toe-shoe performance). Don't knock 'em 'til you've tried 'em. Seriously, when I hear someone telling me how fugly, uneffective, bad for posture, etc., that Vibram 5 Fingers might be, I look at them and see a virgin standing there telling me how over-rated vagina is. Seriously.

I love them so much, I would consider offering any GAFfer that tries them a satisfaction-back guarantee if they weren't available at your local REI with a no-questions-asked return policy. Seriously, if you doubt me, just go to REI and try them on. You can thank me later.

Second day wearing mine, impressed with how comfortable they are. Some slight adjustments in walking but not too much. really looking forward to going for a run in them once my ankle has healed.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The_Reckoning said:
Feels good man
Just wait til your calves notice what you've been up to.

I've had a pair for about a month. Main issue I have with 'em is that I kicked something really hard a few years back and my toes don't quite line up as they should now on my right foot. Makes sliding the right one on extra pesky.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
sooperkool said:
I wonder if these would be good for squats at the gym?

I've read that weightlifters specifically buy these just for that. Your feet are level with the ground and theres no worrying about balancing on piece of sole on each foot. You can also really feel the drive from heel.

Commodore_Perry said:
The only drawback I found with them was the amount of time they took to put on versus a regular pair of river shoes. They took an extra minute or two to wiggle my toes into.

Well folks, I used the handy store locator and find someplace in the middle of the desert that sells them.

I invested in two pair of socks (probably need more) and got the sprint and KSO sportstrek.

I wore the sprint around the house yesterday. They were very comfortable (but a little tight thanks to the socks).

I'll also agree with Commodore Perry that it takes awhile to get them on. It's hilarious. But I'm sure when you've repeated the action dozens of times and broken them in, it's not so bad.

I did walk in the sprints from my school house to the base gym. I have to say...ouch. The path is sandy but frought with sharp rocks.

So I'm primarily going to use the sprints to run on pavement. The Treksports for off road running (not sure how they'll handle rocks) and hiking.

Does anyone know what the lifetime for one of these are? What I mean is with running shoes some recommend you change them every six months.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Spiderjericho said:
I'll also agree with Commodore Perry that it takes awhile to get them on. It's hilarious. But I'm sure when you've repeated the action dozens of times and broken them in, it's not so bad.

It definitely does become easier. The KSO (Keep Stuff Out) ones are one of the hardest to get on and it takes me about 10 seconds to slide my foot in, wiggle my toes into place and slip the back end over my heel. I always have my finger in the back strap to keep the shoe in place and eventually to slip the shoe over my heel.

They also become less tight over time, which is one of the reasons why its good to get a tight fitting Vibram instead of one that feels a little loose. Though if you're planning on getting socks with them its advised that one should get the Vibrams that are one size larger to accommodate for the added space the socks will take up.

Also, to the people who are worried about jogging on asphalt/concrete with these, I do it every other day. Your ankles and feet will feel sore at first but your knees don't take any pounding due to how you should be running in them. So I can basically spring from foot to foot on a hard surface without feeling as much wear and tear even on concrete sidewalks.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Spiderjericho said:
Does anyone know what the lifetime for one of these are? What I mean is with running shoes some recommend you change them every six months.

I got 9+ months out of mine, with significant mileage (trained for a marathon).

I've been using my FiveFingers for several months now, mostly on my shorter runs, still reserving my regular running shoes for the longer ones. They are wonderful to wear, very comfortable and a real revelation. I love running in the rain in these things.

Yesterday I broke the 4 mile mark with them as I continue to increase milage. Not sure I'll ever wear them for my 8, 10, or 12 mile runs, but they are nice.

greenslusi

Neo Member
I picked up a pair a few weeks ago and I really like them for working out and running in general. In the past I have had pain associated with running due to a case of jumper's knee but with these on it my knee does not bother me at all.

Here's a tip for putting them on:

Hold them by the widest part in front of the arch and slide your foot in until your toes stop. Put your foot on the ground and inch your toes forward - I've gotten it down to about 50/50 that my toes slide right into them. If my toes don't immediately slide into the correct spots then I slide my fingers between each toe to correctly position them. Then grab the loop on the heel and pull them the rest of the way on.

Ok so I was heading out with some friends, when I realized that it would be better if I rode my bike, rather than cab, that way I could take off early and get home easily. I usually use my clip-less riding shoes, but I really wanted to wear my vibrams so I said 'fuck it' and rode in them. Now usually I would never ride in regular shows with my clip-less pedals, because they are small and it is too easy to slip off . . . but with the vibrams, I am able to grab the pedal and have zero fear of slipping off.

Any other riders give this a shot?

HurricaneJesus said:
Ok so I was heading out with some friends, when I realized that it would be better if I rode my bike, rather than cab, that way I could take off early and get home easily. I usually use my clip-less riding shoes, but I really wanted to wear my vibrams so I said 'fuck it' and rode in them. Now usually I would never ride in regular shows with my clip-less pedals, because they are small and it is too easy to slip off . . . but with the vibrams, I am able to grab the pedal and have zero fear of slipping off.

Any other riders give this a shot?

If your pedals are low to the ground and you dip your feet it WILL catch on the ground and fold back. It feels like it's ripping your toe off and it will take off skin. Not recommended. Speaking from experience.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
NightHawk17 said:
just got a pair in 44 mens, i was wondering if they supposed to feel tightish? also it seems to be pushing up against
Yes. They expand a little after you wear them a while so you're better off going snug.

Freshmaker said:
Yes. They expand a little after you wear them a while so you're better off going snug.
do they expand a lot or just a bit cause the pair i have(43) are tight and i tried on the 44's today and they felt better but i dont wanna exchange them if they're just gonna get too loose

East Lake

If it's tight around your toes I'd personally go for the larger size, on longer runs I've felt like the smaller ones I have get a bit abrasive (also have a 43 and 44). The possible extra heel room doesn't cause problems either.

Commodore_Perry said:
I bought Vibram KSOs in March in the hopes that they would encourage me to do more hiking, jogging, and trail-running.

In April I went to whitewater-rafting guide school. We did class V rivers in Sierra Nevada run-off rivers (aka ice-fucking-cold). At one point, during guide school, we did the Truckee river during a blizzard, while there was snow on the banks, and it was actually snowing (4/20/10 if you're interested in looking it up). That was the only time I felt they didn't provide enough insulation. I'll be getting some Flows for next spring's river season.

Since guide school I've used these for rafting, trail-running, bouldering, and hiking. They've kept my feet totally warm, even though I've been hanging out in 45 degree snow-runoff water. The only point that has disappointed me is around mid-August when some of the seams began to split (even though I averaged about 4 days/week on the river).

In May I used them for the last 5 miles of a 2-day 20 mile hike in one of the steepest trail hikes in California (Henry W. Coe State Park). My Vibrams were a welcome relief from my hiking boots.

As a raft guide on the American River, I spent a reasonable amount of time running up and down solid granite rock formations on the river. My Chaco-equipped counter-parts were "fucking jealous" at the way I scrambled through boulder fields that they struggled to traverse.

Twice during the rafting season, they actually saved my life (either mentally or actually), when I almost fell out of the raft in gnarly-ass rapids where I probably would have drowned, had it not been for my big toe being caught on the stirrups in the front of the raft. Here is a video if what my trip looked like, except for the part where the guy got sucked out the back of the raft (that's the part where I was half way out of the boat and did a sit-up back in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDzaCMdOd_8

AND FINALLY, they were a great conversation piece. My customers thought it was hilarious that they could call their raft guide "captain toe-shoes". I wouldn't normally wear them in public, aside from my job, but one night I was late for a date after work and forgot my street shoes. I wore them to the county fair. I was stopped multiple times by redneck county fair attendees who were like, "OMG, those are amazing. Where'd you get them?! Can I buy them off you right now?" My date also thought they were awesome in quirky, funny kind of way.

In conclusion, I fucking love my Vibram 5 Fingers. Next spring I'm buying a new pair of KSOs AND a pair of Flows. I've never been a runner, jogger, sprinter... let's just say I fucking hate things that involve me going faster than "walking", but I would give a toe for a pair of toe shoes (although I'd worry about how that would effect my toe-shoe performance). Don't knock 'em 'til you've tried 'em. Seriously, when I hear someone telling me how fugly, uneffective, bad for posture, etc., that Vibram 5 Fingers might be, I look at them and see a virgin standing there telling me how over-rated vagina is. Seriously.

I love them so much, I would consider offering any GAFfer that tries them a satisfaction-back guarantee if they weren't available at your local REI with a no-questions-asked return policy. Seriously, if you doubt me, just go to REI and try them on. You can thank me later.
lol

But that story made me want something with no sole. There's too many benefits not to get something like them.

I'm thinking about these --->http://www.terraplana.com/dylan-p-2195.html?colour=328

That link in the OP made me want shoes with no sole or support so I was looking at the Vivo Barefoots.

NomarTyme

NightHawk17 said:
do they expand a lot or just a bit cause the pair i have(43) are tight and i tried on the 44's today and they felt better but i dont wanna exchange them if they're just gonna get too loose
Not a lot. So just move up a size.

Wasn't Tony Start wearing these when he get suited up in Iron Man?

Therefore, by logical deduction, if you wear these, you'll be as awesome as Tony Stark...

Just sayin'...

I've been hearing about these and seeing people wear them at the gym for awhile, and I've always been interested with them. I finally tried a pair at REI a few days ago and knew instantly I wanted a pair.

Three quick questions for owners:

1) An REI employee helped size them for me. First pair I tried were a bit snug, so she bumped me up a size. I remembered reading this read before and wanted to look through it for tips for getting used to running in them and I noticed a few people saying that you want them snug initially since they'll stretch out. I'm a little worried about this since the once I ordered aren't snug and also they only had the basic $85 pair in store and I ordered Komodos. She said that sizes are pretty much the same in between those two styles, can anyone back this up?

2) Is it pretty true that you naturally adapt to the barefoot gait? I've been kind of worried about that and I've been trying to find articles and YouTube videos that show the correct way to go through a stride, is this worth doing or just a waste of time?

3) I was pretty surprised, even after trying them on for >15 minutes at REI, my normal shoes already felt really cramped. Has anyone here switched to all barefoot shoes after buying Vibrams? I can definitely see myself doing this, and I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear the FiveFingers in public, but I'd be really interested know if anyone here owns any of the other popular barefoot shoes, like the Nike Free.

dr3upmushroom said:
I've been hearing about these and seeing people wear them at the gym for awhile, and I've always been interested with them. I finally tried a pair at REI a few days ago and knew instantly I wanted a pair.

Three quick questions for owners:

1) An REI employee helped size them for me. First pair I tried were a bit snug, so she bumped me up a size. I remembered reading this read before and wanted to look through it for tips for getting used to running in them and I noticed a few people saying that you want them snug initially since they'll stretch out. I'm a little worried about this since the once I ordered aren't snug and also they only had the basic $85 pair in store and I ordered Komodos. She said that sizes are pretty much the same in between those two styles, can anyone back this up?

2) Is it pretty true that you naturally adapt to the barefoot gait? I've been kind of worried about that and I've been trying to find articles and YouTube videos that show the correct way to go through a stride, is this worth doing or just a waste of time?

3) I was pretty surprised, even after trying them on for >15 minutes at REI, my normal shoes already felt really cramped. Has anyone here switched to all barefoot shoes after buying Vibrams? I can definitely see myself doing this, and I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear the FiveFingers in public, but I'd be really interested know if anyone here owns any of the other popular barefoot shoes, like the Nike Free.

1) I have a little bit of room in my toes and it doesn't bother me too much. Every once in a while I'll drag a toe, but it's usually just me being careless. Mine have always been a little bit loose.

2) It took me about a month or two of wearing them, but my gait has changed dramatically. I run almost exclusively on the front of my feet rather than the heel. You feel kind of like you're running like that double amputee guy that kicks Earl's ass on My Name Is Earl.

3) I loved wearing mine wherever I went, although my feet smelled something horrid afterwards. I usually reserved wearing them for hiking or rafting.

Cool, thanks for the responses. I'm really relieved to hear that they don't have to be perfectly snug since a few people in this thread were saying things like "Prepare to exchange them multiple times to get a correct fit."

While you were getting used to switching your gait, would you say that it was something you were conscientiously trying to do, or did it just kind of happen?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
dr3upmushroom said:
Haven't tried other models so I can't really comment on 1.

If you're really worried about the gait though, you generally end up with a shorter gait more focused on landing on the balls of your feet. You won't want to be landing on your heel. It'll feel awful.

3) I was pretty surprised, even after trying them on for >15 minutes at REI, my normal shoes already felt really cramped. Has anyone here switched to all barefoot shoes after buying Vibrams? I can definitely see myself doing this, and I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear the FiveFingers in public, but I'd be really interested know if anyone here owns any of the other popular barefoot shoes, like the Nike Free.[/QUOTE]
They feel pretty good too. They tend to have more cushioning all around so they're a bit more versatile IMO. The five fingers give a lot more tactile feedback tho.

I'm mostly worried about the gait because I'm reading conflicting reports about how exactly you're supposed to run with them. One of my roommates is a Kinesiology major, and I asked him some questions about them while I researching them. He said that you're supposed to land on the balls of your feet, the lady at REI said you're supposed to land on the balls of your feet, you own the shoes and you're saying that you land on the balls of your feet.

I've read several articles about the shoes however that say that you do land on your heel, but since you're taking shorter strides you basically instantly roll over the outside of your foot so your heel isn't taking a huge shock, and THEN you roll onto the balls of your feet.

I guess maybe it's just a preference thing? Having read over and over again that the big appeal of these is that they train you to walk/run the "right" way our foot is designed for, it's weird to then read conflicting accounts of how exactly you're supposed to use them.

They felt extremely comfortable while I walked around with them in the store and jogged for a couple minutes in the parking lot, so I guess I'm not super worried about it since I'm sure I'll find a way to use them comfortably, but it would bug to feel like I paid for barefoot shoes and am not using them properly.

Commodore_Perry said:
3) I loved wearing mine wherever I went, although my feet smelled something horrid afterwards. I usually reserved wearing them for hiking or rafting.
That's good to know. Planning to buy a pair soon and was going to just wear it to work until I got used to it, but i guess I'll reserve it for gym and running.

How easy is it to clean dog shit off of?

dr3upmushroom said:
Running barefoot on hot asphalt/ rocky trails isn't fun. These give you the barefoot feel with some added protection.
That's why you build up to it and grow some calluses on your feet!

Fallen_Hero said:
If you have an environment where you can do that, that's cool. If I lived near a beach there'd be no need for these, sure, but living in a city, there's stuff like broken glass to worry about.

NomarTyme

Fallen_Hero said:
dr3upmushroom said:
If you have an environment where you can do that, that's cool. If I lived near a beach there'd be no need for these, sure, but living in a city, there's stuff like broken glass to worry about.

basically.

also I had to buy some shoe goo because the outside sole is thinning out. Shoe goo works really well.

beat

dr3upmushroom said:
Has anyone here switched to all barefoot shoes after buying Vibrams? I can definitely see myself doing this, and I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear the FiveFingers in public, but I'd be really interested know if anyone here owns any of the other popular barefoot shoes, like the Nike Free.
I've been wearing Nike Frees (5.0s) as my main shoes for a few years now. I, er, don't exercise, I just walk a fair bit. Frees are initially off-putting because there's such a pronounced incline from heel to toe, but you get used to them.

I bought a pair of adidas Climacool Chills today. They seem about as flexible as Frees, but they don't have a completely free heel like the Frees.

I was also looking forwards to the Reebok Reeflex shoes that are supposed to come out this spring.

But as for Vibrams, I can't get past the look of 'em.

I've been reading that site for the last hour. Getting hyped about buying a pair. Might do it this weekend. Although I've been saying that for a few months now.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I like mine, but I made the mistake, which they actually tell you NOT TO DO of running too far in em first time.

I did a 7.5km run in them first time and it felt good. However, I injured the top of my foot, the tendons there and that stayed sore for more than a month. After feeling better I took em for a shorter run but the pain returned. I've stayed off them for 3 months now and think I'll give it another crack.

I really like the idea, but the pain in my foot was really bad (too bad to ignore, walking stairs 1 week later and I was going 'oww shit owww')

Took me a while to make the connection actually, I thought I'd just messed up my foot somehow.

EDIT: I like the shoes and how they feel, but TAKE IT EASY at first if you get some. Apart from the injury I did myself, I can confirm that it gives you the 'I did a workout' muscle pain in parts of your calves/lower leg that are presumably now being used for balancing while running. Very interested in easing back into using these for running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom