• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vibram Five Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
dr3upmushroom said:
I'm mostly worried about the gait because I'm reading conflicting reports about how exactly you're supposed to run with them. One of my roommates is a Kinesiology major, and I asked him some questions about them while I researching them. He said that you're supposed to land on the balls of your feet, the lady at REI said you're supposed to land on the balls of your feet, you own the shoes and you're saying that you land on the balls of your feet.

I've read several articles about the shoes however that say that you do land on your heel, but since you're taking shorter strides you basically instantly roll over the outside of your foot so your heel isn't taking a huge shock, and THEN you roll onto the balls of your feet.
I flat out don't let my heels touch at all. I honestly can't see how you'd manage a super fast heel strike without still feeling it. (Really weak calves might facilitate it I guess...)

I saw a documentary on barefoot runners in South America and the analysis of their gait had them landing on the balls of their feet.

They felt extremely comfortable while I walked around with them in the store and jogged for a couple minutes in the parking lot, so I guess I'm not super worried about it since I'm sure I'll find a way to use them comfortably, but it would bug to feel like I paid for barefoot shoes and am not using them properly.

It just kinda comes naturally.

beat said:
...But as for Vibrams, I can't get past the look of 'em.

I hate the look of Vibrams also. Funny thing is my ex-girlfriend was talking trash about the guy she's seeing now and one of the things she mentioned to me was that she hated these "ridiculous five finger shoes" he wears every day :p

I initially bought into the hype, but when I actually saw them on my feet I couldn't get over how awful they look. Of late I've seen people wearing them out casually and I don't think they work for anyone as casual shoes. I've taken to just running barefoot half the time. I run outdoors in the city, it's not a big deal. Even in proper running shoes I have a very light step, up on my toes.

For people wanting a fashionable casual barefoot-feel shoe, give Tsubo a look.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Just bought my second pair :D

m343-hero.jpg

Can't wait! I'm stoked!

g35twinturbo said:
Just bought my second pair :D

Can't wait! I'm stoked!
Are those Komodos? They look very similar, but I don't remember seeing that color option.

I'm sure part of it was just trying to get me to get one of the more expensive pairs instead of the slightly cheaper Classics, but every employee at REI claimed that the Komodos were the most comfortable style. Anyone here have experience with multiple styles?

Freshmaker said:
I flat out don't let my heels touch at all. I honestly can't see how you'd manage a super fast heel strike without still feeling it. (Really weak calves might facilitate it I guess...)

I saw a documentary on barefoot runners in South America and the analysis of their gait had them landing on the balls of their feet.

It just kinda comes naturally.

Same here, my heels don't touch at all. takes a wee bit of getting used to at first but after that it's fine.

salva said:
thank god you don't go to the same gym as i do because i'd probably die of laughter while lifting

I had the exact opposite reaction, I saw some dude doing cleans and presses wearing these and I went and asked about them, he told me they're great for lifting since you can (for example) immediately feel if you're pushing on the balls of your feet when you should be pushing on your whole foot for squats. Made me seriously consider getting a pair.

Shiv47

Freshmaker said:
3) I was pretty surprised, even after trying them on for >15 minutes at REI, my normal shoes already felt really cramped. Has anyone here switched to all barefoot shoes after buying Vibrams? I can definitely see myself doing this, and I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear the FiveFingers in public, but I'd be really interested know if anyone here owns any of the other popular barefoot shoes, like the Nike Free.

Check out the Vivo Barefoot lines from Terra Plana. They make a pretty decent range of shoes with thin to minimal soles for everyday use that don't look as outlandish as Vibrams do to most people. I have a pair of the Aqua M's, and they're comfortable as hell. They aren't cheap, but there are coupons available every so often.

Meier

They're honestly the most embarrassing shoe I've ever seen worn. I cringe for any person I see with them on.

I have been interested in these for my mostly casual outdoor purposes since that start of this post but have never got a pair.

Guy here looks at the Fila and great hands/foot-on comparison to the Vibram.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eGInUQ_oal8

Part of what has scared me from Vibram is the selection. There are 9 types and even the basic ones are not casual person price and they look like they are a little less noob friendly with the thinner sole. And the site is less than thorough in explaining how to find your size.

Fila are all black but airation looks pretty good in combating absorbed heat in the sun. Have to look at them more but I like them.

Oppo

They're obviously fine for doing active stuff/around the water, and obviously not fine for anything else. ;)

ViperVisor said:
I have been interested in these for my mostly casual outdoor purposes since that start of this post but have never got a pair.

Guy here looks at the Fila and great hands/foot-on comparison to the Vibram.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eGInUQ_oal8

Part of what has scared me from Vibram is the selection. There are 9 types and even the basic ones are not casual person price and they look like they are a little less noob friendly with the thinner sole. And the site is less than thorough in explaining how to find your size.

Fila are all black but airation looks pretty good in combating absorbed heat in the sun. Have to look at them more but I like them.

On the Vibram site they tell you how to find your size by measuring your foot. You put your heel right against a wall and then measure your foot. Pretty easy and accurate in my experience.

The Lamp

I started college last semester.

Everybody wears these fugly shoes in different colors like baby blue and black and white, etc.

Just wtf. They look stupid. Sure they're comfortable but I really don't want this to become like a new Dora the Explorer backpack thing in high school 8(

Meier

Conceited said:
Worse than crocs? Come on.
I didn't think anything could be worse than Crocs until I saw these in the wild for the first time. I took a twitpic when I came across them (http://twitpic.com/1v4g9v) and said this: "The shoes in question. I've never seen something less appealing on feet. Move over Crocs."

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
dr3upmushroom said:
Are those Komodos? They look very similar, but I don't remember seeing that color option.

I'm sure part of it was just trying to get me to get one of the more expensive pairs instead of the slightly cheaper Classics, but every employee at REI claimed that the Komodos were the most comfortable style. Anyone here have experience with multiple styles?

These are the Bikila, they also have Bikila LS that has like a lace system

m355-hero.jpg

dankir said:
you and me brother, I have camo KSOs and I'm getting these red Bikila's too.

ahh we are similar then (in that regard), I have the blue\gray KSO's :D

Nappuccino said:
Can't they make a five toed shoe with fabric over the top of the toes so it doesn't look /as/ retarded?
Sort of defeets the purpose, though, you're supposed to be able to spread your toes.

I mostly gave up running in Vibrams because my feet are completely flat and my knees were taking way more stress than seemed reasonable. They really straightened out my running form, though. I still use them at the gym to lift.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Nappuccino said:
Can't they make a five toed shoe with fabric over the top of the toes so it doesn't look /as/ retarded?

it's looks that much of a importance to you? If it is, these shoes are not for you (I'm sure someone else said this before in this thread)

They don't look that bad.

Invisible_Insane said:
Sort of defeets the purpose, though, you're supposed to be able to spread your toes.

I mostly gave up running in Vibrams because my feet are completely flat and my knees were taking way more stress than seemed reasonable. They really straightened out my running form, though. I still use them at the gym to lift.

Which ones did you have? The new ones I bought are supposedly meant for that high impact on a person running.

The Lamp said:
I started college last semester.

Everybody wears these fugly shoes in different colors like baby blue and black and white, etc.

Just wtf. They look stupid. Sure they're comfortable but I really don't want this to become like a new Dora the Explorer backpack thing in high school 8(
Some of you guys are ridiculous. You admit they serve a practical purpose but then compare them to wearing a backpack with a kids' show on it? Reading some of these posts it's hard not to imagine that some of you guys lack any confidence whatsoever, living life forgoing things you'd like to try out of fear of how others would see you.

I guess a big part of it is probably your age, I'm a junior in college and most of the people I know and have talked to who wear them to the gym are close to graduating, so maybe aging a bit lets you care a bit less than a kid fresh out of high school.

Shiv, those shoes look alright but are very, very expensive for ever day shoes. I wonder if Tom's would be good "barefoot" shoes? I know they aren't marketed that way, but they're basically just a sole, right? Unless the soles aren't very flexible I'm thinking that the barefoot gait would be doable in them.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Meier said:
I didn't think anything could be worse than Crocs until I saw these in the wild for the first time. I took a twitpic when I came across them (http://twitpic.com/1v4g9v) and said this: "The shoes in question. I've never seen something less appealing on feet. Move over Crocs."

They almost look like normal shoes in that photo the color scheme is what stands out the most. Also is seeing individual toes that shocking? And heres a reminder on what Crocs look like...

J17Hu.jpg

I personally have Black on Black KSO's and even standing next to people some don't realize I'm wearing Vibrams unless I point it out to them. Though on a Subway I can see how people have nothing better to do then look at peoples feet.

dr3upmushroom said:
Some of you guys are ridiculous. You admit they serve a practical purpose but then compare them to wearing a backpack with a kids' show on it? Reading some of these posts it's hard not to imagine that some of you guys lack any confidence whatsoever, living life forgoing things you'd like to try out of fear of how others would see you.

I guess a big part of it is probably your age, I'm a junior in college and most of the people I know and have talked to who wear them to the gym are close to graduating, so maybe aging a bit lets you care a bit less than a kid fresh out of high school.

Shiv, those shoes look alright but are very, very expensive for ever day shoes. I wonder if Tom's would be good "barefoot" shoes? I know they aren't marketed that way, but they're basically just a sole, right? Unless the soles aren't very flexible I'm thinking that the barefoot gait would be doable in them.

Tom's work well. Just remove the insole and they become very flexible as you wear them more and more.

Price Dalton said:
Tom's work well. Just remove the insole and they become very flexible as you wear them more and more.
Hmmm, don't know if I'd want to wear them without insoles, seems like they'd start smelling real quick with just your foot in a canvas sock.

I'm out of school for a week for spring break, when I get back I'll probably start looking around to see if I can try the Nike Free anywhere, they look pretty interesting.

Cyan

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
These are the Bikila, they also have Bikila LS that has like a lace system

m355-hero.jpg

ahh we are similar then (in that regard), I have the blue\gray KSO's :D
I love the look of these, but I think I'll try the Sprints for my first pair.

Commodore mentioned his feet get really nasty after wearing them, but do the shoes themselves really reek after a while? How do you keep them clean?

BlueTsunami

parrotbeak said:
Commodore mentioned his feet get really nasty after wearing them, but do the shoes themselves really reek after a while? How do you keep them clean?

You can just throw them in the wash if you want (well I can with my KSOs)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
These things look fugly, not to mention i wouldn't even be able to wear them even if i wanted to. My 2 toes next to the big one have that little extra skin between them, i don't how you call that. It's something genetic, coming from my mother, but that's all i know.

didn't see this thread before but i figured i'll share my experience.

i recently purchased a pair of KSO Treks after reading a lot about barefoot vs. supportive running/walking shoes and styles. i made the decision that since i was going to start becoming more active (after getting back blood test results showing my cholesterol and triglycerides were very high) that since i wouldn't have to "overcome" a running style it would probably be alright to go barefoot.

despite the warnings of not wearing them for more than a few hours at a time for the first week or so, i put them on in the parking lot of the REI where i bought them and proceeded to wear them the rest of the evening. that night i didn't do anything other than wear them around the house; mostly sitting at my desk.

the following evening i decided to take them out for a short test walk. i did not get more than perhaps 150 steps into my walk when i felt a sharp pain shoot through the 2nd toe on my right foot. sharp enough to cause me to stop immediately and stand still for fear something was seriously wrong. i took a few more tentative steps and the pain came back every few paces. i went home immediately. over the course of the next week i experimented with wearing them to work (changing them about halfway through the day) at home, walking in them, etc. all the while dealing with this awkward, piercing, occasional shot of pain in my toe.

after jogging with them in a grassy area for 30 minutes one night, i realized that area of my foot was becoming numb. i made an appointment with a podiatrist and after an examination and x-rays found that coupled with a pronated stance, i essentially walk on the outside of my feet. the first digit of both feet (i.e. - the big toe) does not make full contact with the ground in my stride. thus a lot of weight is being applied to the other toes in my feet and i had sprained a ligament in my 2nd toe.

the official line from my podiatrist was "you need good arch support. these shoes do not provide any whatsoever. you can wear them around the house and perhaps some light walking but you simply do not have the proper foot to wear these."

so now i bought a nice pair of new balance shoes with arch inserts for my exercising. i have not worn the vibrams since the podiatrist visit over a month ago.

just a warning to anyone considering on purchasing these. you can do some real damage to your feet.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/images/products/148//large.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]
I think the only use for rubber feet I've seen is for those runners that are trying a different style of running (outer-mid-sole to inner-toe, which is [I]allegedly[/I] how humans evolved to run, not heel-to-toe).

But for day-to-day, it's like wearing a cape or a top hat or skipping through the streets playing a pan pipe -- you're the instant eccentric.

If you're going to wear them, at least start dressing like a ninja on a day-to-day basis.

BlueTsunami

Charred Greyface said:
Does anybody wear the socks?

I would actually prefer wearing socks with them but I had bought my only pair at a size thats nearly skin tight. If one wants to wear the socks they suggest going one size larger to account for them.

parrotbeak said:

Soak them for 12-24 hours in a vinegar/water mixture, then thoroughly rinse and let air dry.

Bisnic said:
These things look fugly, not to mention i wouldn't even be able to wear them even if i wanted to. My 2 toes next to the big one have that little extra skin between them, i don't how you call that. It's something genetic, coming from my mother, but that's all i know.
I'd call it webbed feet, which makes you prime for this kind of maneuver:
282khl2.jpg

GodofWine

I've had KSO's for 2+ years (before they were 'cool'), only wear them to lift and occasionally walk around the neighborhood, and love them.

I do not love that there are more and more people wearing them though...I was unique, now I've been gobbled up by a trend.

Cyan

Banned
GodofWine said:
I've had KSO's for 2+ years (before they were 'cool'), only wear them to lift and occasionally walk around the neighborhood, and love them.

I do not love that there are more and more people wearing them though...I was unique, now I've been gobbled up by a trend.
If it makes you feel better, they're still not cool.

FooTemps

For those who are asking about smell:

I've been wearing sprints for 4 years now. They're indeed great, but they get really really nasty (even with socks).

The trick I learned was to spray it with lysol or rubbing alcohol. I've put them through the wash, used bleach, and used various deodorizers. The best bet is to keep wearing socks and spray/soak your shoes with something that will definitely kill the bacteria.

GodofWine said:

It's funny how there seems to be two camps of people with extreme opinions of the shoes, people who won't wear them because they're embarrassing and people who want to wear them because they're unique. Can't imagine basing a decision on nothing but what others will think of it.

Anyone who says they wouldn't wear them based on how they look really should stop by a store that carries them and try on a pair.

Cyan, I don't know if I'd call them "cool" necessarily, but there's definitely more people wearing them as time goes on. I realize that my gym isn't indicative of the average one, being on a college campus in California, but at this point they really don't even stand out. No one's going to think you're cool or unique for wearing, but no one's going to think twice about it when they see them either.

g35twinturbo said:
Which ones did you have? The new ones I bought are supposedly meant for that high impact on a person running.

I have KSOs, my college was in upstate NY and the weather sucked a lot. I'm interested if they have ones designed for high-impact, though I have to stress again--my feet are completely flat, which I think was the real problem. There's no "natural spring" to be had. But my running form improved considerably, which I think is the more important point.

This entire thread is ridiculous. So what's the order of "purism" here?

Shoes -> Shoes that are slightly more expensive but "minimalist"

The idea of paying $85.00 to simulate walking barefoot is ludicrous. Just walk barefoot. A lot of the counter posts amount to "you just have no confidence." These shoes may or may not look ridiculous. Fine. But to see yourself as on a higher "level" because you where these shoes? :\

I'm willing to bet that at least some of you are buying these shoes, in fact, just to seem cool and unique. You want the attention of people looking at your feet and remarking something, positive or negative. This is why you are paying $85.00 to simulate walking/running with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom