• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vibram Five Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Angry Grimace said:
Is there a reason they don't just keep the internal shape and put rubber over the stupid toes ?

What magical material would hold a shape, not add bulk, and handle wear and tear?

beat

Angry Grimace said:
Is there a reason they don't just keep the internal shape and put rubber over the stupid toes ?
In addition to what SnakeXs said, said external casing would still have to be flexible enough to allow the toes to spread out, or else you've eliminated a key benefit of the Vibrams.

Casp0r

Banned
Humans are designed to walk on soft earth ... not concrete, metal and wood.

Hence I'll keep my nice rubber air cushioned shoes thanks.

Casp0r said:

Agreed. If there were only a shoe that closely wrapped the foot in some protective, but minimalistic material that could protect them from concrete metal and wood while still allowing our evolutionary gait to take place.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They should make these shoes, but for your hands. Imagine having your hands protected from the cold and the elements while you were working, or climbing, or whatever. Would be amazing.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I don't really do any barefoot running with mine, but I still love them for days when I'm out in the city all day and it's hot out.

Paid a penny for 'em, but I'm glad I did.

OuterWorldVoice said:
They should make these shoes, but for your hands. Imagine having your hands protected from the cold and the elements while you were working, or climbing, or whatever. Would be amazing.
But but but that would look so stupid, how could you go out in public like that? couldn't they make it so they were just like one big compartment for all of your fingers instead?????

Another great thing about the Vibrams is that they are light-weight. I am biking across Canada right now, and there is no way I could carry any other type of shoe. My Vibrams fit snugly in my pannier and barely weigh anything. I am not self-conscious, so I wear them whenever I get off my bike and get out of my clip-in shoes. It makes camping out a much richer experience, being in my Vibrams. Before setting out on my trip I sold/gave away all my other pairs of shoes. I am never going back now. Five fingers for life.

weepy

OuterWorldVoice said:

..umm...gloves?

BigDug13

Casp0r said:

What about rock? There's a tribe in South America that runs hundreds of miles over mountains with thin sandals on.

And it's not the surface that makes things awkward, it's this whole idea that we're supposed to run heel-toe. That's the part that we do against our body's design and the soft shoes allow us to continue that bad practice. Vibrams force you to run correctly.

If you run properly on your soft shoes then you're doing just fine and you don't need these shoes as much.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
elrechazao said:
But but but that would look so stupid, how could you go out in public like that? couldn't they make it so they were just like one big compartment for all of your fingers instead?????
Foot mittens!

Ill Saint

Arcipello said:
someone at my work wears these......hes already short and fat so wearing Hobbit feet really didnt help his appearance :-/
Good for him that he doesn't seem to care what judgmental people think. If he's wearing them, he is also probably quite aware that he is allegedly overweight, and is doing something about it!

Arcipello

Ill Saint said:
Good for him that he doesn't seem to care what judgmental people think. If he's wearing them, he is also probably quite aware that he is allegedly overweight, and is doing something about it!

hang on.... shoes are not a substitute for a healthy diet and regular exercise.

Ill Saint

Arcipello said:
hang on.... shoes are not a substitute for a healthy diet and regular exercise.
No, but people who wear Five Fingers are generally active or health-oriented in some way. These aren't shoes you just go out on a whim and buy because you saw them at the store think they look interesting, unless you want to mess your feet and legs up.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Back to the topic:

I completed my second marathon in these, but only had a month to break in the pair I wore due to the previous pair wearing a hole in the sole. As you can imaging blisters became my new friend.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Pretty sure I'm going to buy a pair, just can't decide which one. I don't do a whole lot of running anymore but might pick back up with these. Either way, I'd want them to be good for hiking and exploring. Seems like the KSO, Treksport and KSO Trek are what I should be looking at. Are the only real big differences just material and durability (with the order used from least durable to strongest)? I like the look of the KSO Trek a lot less, but I'm leaning that way since it doesn't have the mesh and that might be best for when I go off-trail.

I'm also kinda concerned whether they'll work for me without the Injini socks, since my feet have a definite tendency to sweat. I'll probably just size up to accommodate for always wearing socks.

Ill Saint

Dan said:
Pretty sure I'm going to buy a pair, just can't decide which one. I don't do a whole lot of running anymore but might pick back up with these. Either way, I'd want them to be good for hiking and exploring. Seems like the KSO, Treksport and KSO Trek are what I should be looking at. Are the only real big differences just material and durability (with the order used from least durable to strongest)? I like the look of the KSO Trek a lot less, but I'm leaning that way since it doesn't have the mesh and that might be best for when I go off-trail.

I'm also kinda concerned whether they'll work for me without the Injini socks, since my feet have a definite tendency to sweat. I'll probably just size up to accommodate for always wearing socks.
Highly recommend the Trek. They're rugged and hold up extremely well for any sort of serious hiking, bush-bashing or outdoor activity. The Treksport is great, too, but for lighter trail walking or running. I found the Trek to fit larger than the other models, so be careful. You might not necessarily have to size up even when wearing Injinji socks. Best to try in store.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ill Saint said:
Highly recommend the Trek. They're rugged and hold up extremely well for any sort of serious hiking, bush-bashing or outdoor activity. The Treksport is great, too, but for lighter trail walking or running. I found the Trek to fit larger than the other models, so be careful. You might not necessarily have to size up even when wearing Injinji socks. Best to try in store.
Awesome. I definitely plan to try it on in the store. Hopefully I'll be successful in finding the style and size I need tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Trek is the way to go for me.

lunchtoast said:
Got these Merrell Trail Glove shoes delivered last Friday. I ordered my usual shoe size and they fit pretty good. Saturday I went out for the day wearing them and they were very comfortable. We also pulled over on the PCH 1 and did a little climbing. I could feel the rocks and everything. Sunday I did a 10 minute warmup run at the gym and the bottom of my calves started to get sore (and still are, I never run for more than 20 minutes though). The quality is good, and they wash easily. The front is wide and I had good toe room. The only problems is that these are more expensive than VFF. They retail for about 110. I looked at other shoes in this area, but these were the most available, and also had my shoe size (14). If you're willing to spend the extra money, and VFF aren't for you, I'd say it's worth it, and I've heard nothing but good things about Merrell.
347Qdl.jpg

AX3Y1l.jpg
These look pretty awesome and the reviews on amazon from other owners of Vibrams gives me hope.

I may have to set some money aside for less conspicuous running shoes and these look like they fit the bill.

Dan said:

I'd try to try on both the KSO and Komodos. A lot of people like the KSO since they're the most durable/ most protective, but I love my Komodos since they strike a balance between the thicker padding of the KSO and the thinner shoes.

I'm not sure what to suggest about the socks, my feet get really warm in these shoes even without socks, so wearing some may make you sweat even more. Whatever you end up doing, the shoes are very easy to wash, so I wouldn't worry too much.

DarkKyo

DAMNIT! My dogs got a hold of my pair and tore up one of the shoes. Bleh.... Well, I ordered them a couple years ago. Probably time for a new pair anyways... I generally run on asphalt(usually on the road at my local cemetary). Since there are a couple new models, which would you guys say would be best for my needs? SPRINT maybe?

Ill Saint

Dechaios said:
DAMNIT! My dogs got a hold of my pair and tore up one of the shoes. Bleh.... Well, I ordered them a couple years ago. Probably time for a new pair anyways... I generally run on asphalt(usually on the road at my local cemetary). Since there are a couple new models, which would you guys say would be best for my needs? SPRINT maybe?
Bikila / Bikila LS are the serious runners models. Sprint is fine if you prefer a thinner sole and more ground feedback. You could also look at the KomodoSport, which is great if you want a more general sports shoe that you can also run in.

Chorazin

I'm a big fat fatty fat fat that's hitting the gym (mainly treadmill, bike and weights) and doing EA Active 2 (mainly cardio) at home to seriously try and get the weight off. I have a shitty right ankle from it being dislocated when I was a kid and never properly fixed, and I easily get shin splints. I had a pair of Nikes for working out, but I've been facinated by these damn Vibrams since I saw them last year on someone wearing them out and about.

Cut to last night when I found myself in Eastern Mountain Sports looking at these after reading a bit about them online. After trying out a few types (fuck they were hard to get on right the first time!) I went with the Bikila LS for workouts after walking around in them in store, tried them on their little incline thing, and fell in love. Said screw it and got the KSO Trek for daily wear too (hell, next month's a three pay month for me so I threw them on the AMEX).

So far, I fucking love them! I did my EA Active 2 workout in the Bikila's last night and really liked how I didn't need a workout pad for my jumps and running exercises, and it gave me extra grip for pushups and squat exercises. They felt great on the treadmill (only did 10 on it as opposed to my usual 25 per their break in instructions) and the bike felt less awkward when getting the right foot position between the pedal and straps. Even felt better when doing my weights, more in control. The bottoms of my feet hurt a bit but not in a really bad way, more sore than ouch.

Ran errands at Wal-mart in my Treks last night for a while and they also felt great. Weird to drive in them though, and I kinda hate wearing my boots to work after only one day with the Vibrams!

Anyways, tl;dr: Fat dude buys Vibrams to work out in and walk around in, shit feels fantastic.

DarkKyo

Ill Saint said:
Bikila / Bikila LS are the serious runners models. Sprint is fine if you prefer a thinner sole and more ground feedback. You could also look at the KomodoSport, which is great if you want a more general sports shoe that you can also run in.
Thanks for the suggestion! I just traded in 100 bucks worth of stuff for amazon credit so I know what that's going towards now.

Chorazin

Got home and put on the KSO Treks. Ouch! I was in pain hardcore, even when just sitting. The strap was pulling to tight to fit right and it was nothing like I experienced with the Bikilas. Put them on, no problem, pain's gone. Huh. Could be the leather shrunk due to the humidity, in that case they'd be worthless to me most of the summer.

Saw that I had time to make it to the mall, so I went and tried on the Treksport. Bingo, no pain either, and they fit better. The leather material of the KSO Treks were messing with my feet, they didn't have the expandability I needed like the Bikila's did. Swapped them out and now I have happy feet in my Treksports! Glad I bought local for a change.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
SolarPowered said:
These look pretty awesome and the reviews on amazon from other owners of Vibrams gives me hope.

I may have to set some money aside for less conspicuous running shoes and these look like they fit the bill.
Those fit me very oddly; very tight on the arch area of my foot, but too loose in the toes. The Minimus Trails mentioned above fit me much better.

I'd definitely try them both on before committing to buy one if I were you. Personal preference could vary wildly.

Ill Saint

Chorazin said:
Got home and put on the KSO Treks. Ouch! I was in pain hardcore, even when just sitting. The strap was pulling to tight to fit right and it was nothing like I experienced with the Bikilas. Put them on, no problem, pain's gone. Huh. Could be the leather shrunk due to the humidity, in that case they'd be worthless to me most of the summer.

Saw that I had time to make it to the mall, so I went and tried on the Treksport. Bingo, no pain either, and they fit better. The leather material of the KSO Treks were messing with my feet, they didn't have the expandability I needed like the Bikila's did. Swapped them out and now I have happy feet in my Treksports! Glad I bought local for a change.
It sounds very unusual that the Trek was causing you a lot of pain even when only sitting. If you're already using them for workouts or exercise, go easy so you don't injure yourself. Your feet and legs will need a good amount of time to get used to them.

Chorazin

Ill Saint said:
It sounds very unusual that the Trek was causing you a lot of pain even when only sitting. If you're already using them for workouts or exercise, go easy so you don't injure yourself. Your feet and legs will need a good amount of time to get used to them.

I think it was the leather contracting around the top of my foot. I wore the Treksports all last night with no discomfort at all, they have a lot more stretchyness to them.

After at least a year of saying I'm gonna get one, I finally did. The guy at the store said he's been using them at the gym for years and if I'm just going to lift in them I probably don't need to go easy at first. Do you guys think it'll be fine for my first time wearing to do like 2 hours of compound lifts and some HIIT on the elliptical?

MjFrancis

How often do you walk around barefoot? If you spend a good amount of time doing that already, the transition to Fivefinger shoes should be smoother. I don't know what the difference would be on the elliptical, but you should be set for your training. Maybe don't attempt any 1RM or 5RM movements for a few weeks while you get used to them.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
parrotbeak said:
After at least a year of saying I'm gonna get one, I finally did. The guy at the store said he's been using them at the gym for years and if I'm just going to lift in them I probably don't need to go easy at first. Do you guys think it'll be fine for my first time wearing to do like 2 hours of compound lifts and some HIIT on the elliptical?
Personally, I wouldn't wear something with such little protection in a weight room, particularly on the toes; seeing a digit or two get popped off will do that to you.

MjFrancis said:
How often do you walk around barefoot? If you spend a good amount of time doing that already, the transition to Fivefinger shoes should be smoother. I don't know what the difference would be on the elliptical, but you should be set for your training. Maybe don't attempt any 1RM or 5RM movements for a few weeks while you get used to them.
I walk around barefoot all the time, but not a whole lot of exercise. Once in a while I'll jog on the beach, but my calves burn out fast. I'm fine walking on the beach though.

Thanks, I guess I'll take it easy. I'm gonna still go light anyway, since I haven't been following any program for the last 2-3 weeks.

Personally, I wouldn't wear something with such little protection in a weight room, particularly on the toes; seeing a digit or two get popped off will do that to you.
If I drop a weight on my foot with a shoe on, I think I'm still gonna be fucked.

MjFrancis

That's how I look at it. I wear Chuck Taylor's or Feiyue's to the gym, and they offer scant more protection than the Fivefingers. I'm not rocking steel-toed boots like the bodybuilders in muscle magazines, lol.

Hopefully you can get used to them and enjoy being as close to barefoot as you can be in some places. A lot of people I know never got used to them, but they wore shoes so often and so late into their life that they could never make the transition. Or possibly it was more effort than they were willing to put in.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

MjFrancis said:
That's how I look at it. I wear Chuck Taylor's or Feiyue's to the gym, and they offer scant more protection than the Fivefingers. I'm not rocking steel-toed boots like the bodybuilders in muscle magazines, lol.
Ya, I think it's a little silly that gyms don't let you go barefoot. I can see not allowing it on machines, but with free weights your feet aren't likely to get caught in anything.

But it's fine, I'd rather have these on to protect from cuts. Also I've tried the elliptical barefoot and was fine going slow but couldn't keep a good enough grip on the pedals to go fast.

parrotbeak said:
Ya, I think it's a little silly that gyms don't let you go barefoot. I can see not allowing it on machines, but with free weights your feet aren't likely to get caught in anything.

But it's fine, I'd rather have these on to protect from cuts. Also I've tried the elliptical barefoot and was fine going slow but couldn't keep a good enough grip on the pedals to go fast.

I'm sure its for sanitary reasons plus you get a bit more protection in case something like a 25 pound weight falls on your foot. Sure, you might not be /that/ much better off, but they can at least say that they made you wear protection

I've been running six miles about four or five times per week, and I'd like to get some new running shoes. I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of these.

For that sort of distance, what would be the best type? I'm just running on sidewalks and stuff.

BertramCooper said:
I've been running six miles about four or five times per week, and I'd like to get some new running shoes. I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of these.

For that sort of distance, what would be the best type? I'm just running on sidewalks and stuff.
KSO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom