• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vibram Five Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my Bikila LS from travelcountry.com. I went a size bigger so I could wear the Injini socks and have a little more leeway with the weather. I really like them.

6JEb0l.jpg

FooTemps

Also, here's a pic for anyone who is wondering about going outside with them. I hiked a mountain at the end of the summer in them. All I did was throw them in the wash and they came out looking great.

IMG_8578.jpg

Shoes finally came in today, I just got back from about an hour long trial walk, I love them. I was worried about the size because at REI I was sized for Classics but ordered Komodos (they didn't have any Komodos in at the time to try on). When I first put them on the big toe felt tight, but I did a Google search and the general consensus was that since they aren't custom fitted, more often than not for any given person they're going to be tight or loose in some spot or other, and that after you break them in they'll stretch a bit and be more comfortable.

Walk was awesome, they're so, so comfortable. Walking over rocky trails and tree foots feels particularly awesome. I was kind of nervous about running since I've read that it's good to get a feel for them by just walking for a week or so but after feeling fine after walking for a half hour, I jogged a bit and it felt pretty awesome.

Now I'm debating taking them to the gym tonight, the balls of my feet are pretty sore but I don't really want to go back and forth between these and my Sauconys when I'm trying to get used to barefoot running.

NomarTyme

FooTemps said:
Also, here's a pic for anyone who is wondering about going outside with them. I hiked a mountain at the end of the summer in them. All I did was throw them in the wash and they came out looking great.

IMG_8578.jpg
LMAO. I like to put shoe goo under the shoe if I'm planning on going to rocky terrains.

East Lake

dr3upmushroom said:
Shoes finally came in today, I just got back from about an hour long trial walk, I love them. I was worried about the size because at REI I was sized for Classics but ordered Komodos (they didn't have any Komodos in at the time to try on). When I first put them on the big toe felt tight, but I did a Google search and the general consensus was that since they aren't custom fitted, more often than not for any given person they're going to be tight or loose in some spot or other, and that after you break them in they'll stretch a bit and be more comfortable.

Walk was awesome, they're so, so comfortable. Walking over rocky trails and tree foots feels particularly awesome. I was kind of nervous about running since I've read that it's good to get a feel for them by just walking for a week or so but after feeling fine after walking for a half hour, I jogged a bit and it felt pretty awesome.

Now I'm debating taking them to the gym tonight, the balls of my feet are pretty sore but I don't really want to go back and forth between these and my Sauconys when I'm trying to get used to barefoot running.
Glad you like them! For running I'd tend to ditch the traditional shoes entirely but that means starting from the beginning, but if you're lifting weights or something there or really feel the need to run I wouldn't worry too much about using your old shoes for a while, though vibrams would be better for balance once the soreness goes away with gym work.

Went barefoot a few days ago on asphalt, the gravel really is a bitch when it gets caught in the bottom of your foot. Hopefully it's not long before my feet start toughening up though, going to alternate between barefoot and vibrams.

Antimatter said:
Glad you like them! For running I'd tend to ditch the traditional shoes entirely but that means starting from the beginning, but if you're lifting weights or something there or really feel the need to run I wouldn't worry too much about using your old shoes for a while, though vibrams would be better for balance once the soreness goes away with gym work.

Went barefoot a few days ago on asphalt, the gravel really is a bitch when it gets caught in the bottom of your foot. Hopefully it's not long before my feet start toughening up though, going to alternate between barefoot and vibrams.
I'd also like to "graduate" to going full barefoot at some point. Only thing that sucks is that I do probably more than half my running indoors on my gym's track, but I'll still have the Vibrams for that.

How do you like the Bikilas, adamsappel? I don't regret going with Komodos at all, I figure the extra padding will help me ease into barefoot running, but I was tempted to go with those since they're supposed to be geared more for running. If you've used other styles of FF before, how do you like the lace system?

lunchtoast

Got these Merrell Trail Glove shoes delivered last Friday. I ordered my usual shoe size and they fit pretty good. Saturday I went out for the day wearing them and they were very comfortable. We also pulled over on the PCH 1 and did a little climbing. I could feel the rocks and everything. Sunday I did a 10 minute warmup run at the gym and the bottom of my calves started to get sore (and still are, I never run for more than 20 minutes though). The quality is good, and they wash easily. The front is wide and I had good toe room. The only problems is that these are more expensive than VFF. They retail for about 110. I looked at other shoes in this area, but these were the most available, and also had my shoe size (14). If you're willing to spend the extra money, and VFF aren't for you, I'd say it's worth it, and I've heard nothing but good things about Merrell.
347Qdl.jpg

AX3Y1l.jpg

Looks like Vibram actually makes the soles of those shoes.

I can totally relate to the calve pain, I've been running in my Five Fingers for the last four days and today's the first day they haven't been sore.

The break-in period was nowhere near what I thought it would be. The day I got them I planned on just walking in them for a week, but I really wanted to try them so I jogged maybe a half mile after walking about a mile. Even that made my calves a bit sore, and when I ran in them longer the second and third days I definitely felt it, but I didn't do anything near the week-long break-in period some people suggest and I feel fine.

The gait was extremely easy to get down, but all of my shoes are worn at the ball of my feet so I guess I already used it to an extent.

Dedalus

I've always been interested in getting a pair but I have flat feet so I'm not sure what kind of arch support these would give, if any. Anyone else with flat feet purchase a pair of Vibrams, if so how did you find it?

Frester

Dedalus said:
I've always been interested in getting a pair but I have flat feet so I'm not sure what kind of arch support these would give, if any. Anyone else with flat feet purchase a pair of Vibrams, if so how did you find it?

The review posted above is really good, but my feet are flat as a board and I love running in my Vibrams (I've also never gotten a blister that that review complains about). They definitely take some getting used to but are well worth it in my experience.

East Lake

dr3upmushroom said:

I can totally relate to the calve pain, I've been running in my Five Fingers for the last four days and today's the first day they haven't been sore.

The break-in period was nowhere near what I thought it would be. The day I got them I planned on just walking in them for a week, but I really wanted to try them so I jogged maybe a half mile after walking about a mile. Even that made my calves a bit sore, and when I ran in them longer the second and third days I definitely felt it, but I didn't do anything near the week-long break-in period some people suggest and I feel fine.

The gait was extremely easy to get down, but all of my shoes are worn at the ball of my feet so I guess I already used it to an extent.
I didn't do much of a break-in either, I think generally people that injure themselves push into higher distances early and it's just asking for a stress fracture-like injury, the legs aren't used to that form of abuse yet.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
dr3upmushroom said:
Vibram has been making soles, particularly for outdoor/trail/mountaineering purposes since 1937. Five Fingers are actually a bit of a departure for them, I think, since the entire thing is branded Vibram while their standard modus operandi has been to attach their soles to other company's shoes.

IIRC the founder of the company invented rubber soles.

Just got my Five Finger Flows a few days ago. They're a lot harder to get on. They feel like they hug my feet quite a bit tighter too (when I take them off my feet have lines all over like they've been squeezed). To be fair I haven't had them in water yet though and that's what they're made for. I'll be testing them on the river in a couple weeks.

East Lake

The flows constrict my toes too, have the lines and there's stiffness after a run with them. Nothing wiggling around can't fix but in general I don't like how it feels. I only use them when I know it's going to be cold and getting wet can't be avoided.

Haven't been barefooting much 'cause it's been kinda cold around here but the few times I had the chance it felt like my foot was getting worked harder than with vibrams. The muscles on the bottom of my feet were sore so I suspect that it has to do with the toes being used more for propulsion.

nib95

Banned
I'm thinking of picking up a pair of these Vibram's in the UK. Do you guys think they would work well with playing badminton? I.e, indoor rubber or wooden vinyl flooring. It's the only use for which I'd buy a pair.

Danielsan said:
Holy shit. No offense but I think that if I saw someone wearing those I would fall on the ground laughing. They look like Gorilla feet. :lol

I live in a pretty small town and a colleague of mine bought a pair of these. The annoying thing was that nobody really asked him about his shoes, but as soon as he bought them he would start every conversation by saying something like "I know you are going to ask me about my shoes." Sure, people looked him kind of weird,but they never actually asked him outright about them. It was really, really annoying that he would constantly talk about these shoes.

East Lake

nib95 said:
I'm thinking of picking up a pair of these Vibram's in the UK. Do you guys think they would work well with playing badminton? I.e, indoor rubber or wooden vinyl flooring. It's the only use for which I'd buy a pair.
They would probably have great traction on those. From my experience you only have to worry about wet surfaces that are flat or loose, like mud or wet rock. Models like the bikila or treksport probably do a bit better with these since the rubber pattern on the sole isn't anywhere near as smooth as one like the sprint or kso. The sprint and kso should be fine for what you're doing anyway though.

nib95

Banned
Antimatter said:
They would probably have great traction on those. From my experience you only have to worry about wet surfaces that are flat or loose, like mud or wet rock. Models like the bikila or treksport probably do a bit better with these since the rubber pattern on the sole isn't anywhere near as smooth as one like the sprint or kso. The sprint and kso should be fine for what you're doing anyway though.

Just read on another forum that they're great for traction, but bad on feedback when you hit the ground after performing a jump smash. So I guess I'll rule them out.

santouras

nib95 said:
Just read on another forum that they're great for traction, but bad on feedback when you hit the ground after performing a jump smash. So I guess I'll rule them out.
I can't imagine them giving your ankle much support for quick turns. I use vibrams for running but regular sports shoes for... well sports.

East Lake

Yeah it might not feel pleasant going from shoes to these with a high amount of unprotected landings. I can't say I remember ever having felt much pain from a jump from the ground with vibrams though, drop from a height definitely hurts.

Also I don't see the need for ankle support for quick turning, I do sprints with fast directions changes all the time.

Takuan

Went to a specialty store (Atmosphere) in Toronto to try these but they were sold out. They only carried one model though. If I get a pair, I'm definitely getting one of the runners (Bikila?). I just want to run on the treadmill, nothing too crazy.

Is there any downside to running the normal way instead of landing on the balls of your feet with each step? I play basketball and I *have* to explode off my heel when making any sort of move to the basket. I have minor knee and ankle issues. Just for fun, I've been walking around on the balls of my feet and can feel my calves being put to work, but it looks like I'm pretending to walk around in high heels. I'm 6'4" and attract enough attention as it is.

Nekofrog

Banned
So what's the verdict on the Bikilas? I've heard a vast number of people complaining that they fall apart almost instantly. Was the build quality compromised in order to fill the high volume of purchases?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Takuan said:
Is there any downside to running the normal way instead of landing on the balls of your feet with each step? I play basketball and I *have* to explode off my heel when making any sort of move to the basket. I have minor knee and ankle issues. Just for fun, I've been walking around on the balls of my feet and can feel my calves being put to work, but it looks like I'm pretending to walk around in high heels. I'm 6'4" and attract enough attention as it is.

This video might be interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE

santouras said:
I can't imagine them giving your ankle much support for quick turns. I use vibrams for running but regular sports shoes for... well sports.
High tops actually increase the incidence of ankle injuries. The less ankle support the better.

I played basketball in vibrams, and did quite well and felt secure, but they fell apart on me. Couldn't take the lateral movement.

santouras

Price Dalton said:
High tops actually increase the incidence of ankle injuries. The less ankle support the better.

I played basketball in vibrams, and did quite well and felt secure, but they fell apart on me. Couldn't take the lateral movement.
sports people tape their ankles all the time tho.... I guess you could tape and still wear vibrams

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I just got my third pair of KSOs last week after wearing holes in my first two pairs. I love these shoes.

Nekofrog said:
So what's the verdict on the Bikilas? I've heard a vast number of people complaining that they fall apart almost instantly. Was the build quality compromised in order to fill the high volume of purchases?

FWIW, I did not get them because of the $15 premium over the KSO model. I can't believe they are that much better for running.

Commodore_Perry said:
Just got my Five Finger Flows a few days ago. They're a lot harder to get on. They feel like they hug my feet quite a bit tighter too (when I take them off my feet have lines all over like they've been squeezed). To be fair I haven't had them in water yet though and that's what they're made for. I'll be testing them on the river in a couple weeks.

It get better over time. Each pair I have had seems too snug initially but they stretch out some.

ch0mp

Takuan said:
Went to a specialty store (Atmosphere) in Toronto to try these but they were sold out. They only carried one model though. If I get a pair, I'm definitely getting one of the runners (Bikila?). I just want to run on the treadmill, nothing too crazy.

If by normal, you mean running like you have an inch of padding on your heel... you may get quite sore.

shantyman said:
It get better over time. Each pair I have had seems too snug initially but they stretch out some.

I already have a pair of KSOs and yes, they stretched out, but the Flows feel like the material is less stretchy. I'm hitting the river for 4 days in about a week so I'll see how they perform then.

iamcenok said:
Don't know if this has been posted but the other day when I was driving I saw a billboard for Fila Toe Shoes...

I didn't even realize Fila was still around.

http://birthdayshoes.com/review-fila-skele-toes-four-toed-shoes

So, basically these are for the gapers that want the attention from wearing toe shoes and none of the actual fitness support that VFFs give? That's what I read out of the comparison paragraph of that reviewer.

jax (old)

Banned
I have a green pair. They're kinda neat but I wish I got black instead because the green are hard to pair and makes it look like frog feet. Black would have been ninja.

dr3upmushroom said:

Shows how good for you running in Vibrams is. I run 10-12 miles in my Nikes really consistently with minimal soreness. When I got VFF Bilias this last summer I did a test run of 2 miles and my calves were more sore than they have ever been. Makes you realize how much of your joints are doing the work your muscles should be in typical running shoes.

Alucrid

Banned
Calf pain is usually good since now you're using muscles in your legs you're not normally used to. That will go away, for me the best thing was being rid of shin splints. Fuck those things man.

Alucrid said:
Calf pain is usually good since now you're using muscles in your legs you're not normally used to. That will go away, for me the best thing was being rid of shin splints. Fuck those things man.

Me too. I used to always get shin splints now its been over a year. Plus are you guys noticing how ripped these things make your legs? I have been doing a intense leg workout twice a week for almost 7 years now and I have never gotten the kind of calf and quad results from that as I have been getting from running in these things.

daycru said:
These sound sooo good but I'm wouldn't be confident enough to rock them outside. Props to you guys who do.

Lets be clear. They are probably the ugliest foot apparel you could ever wear and I only use them when running. I never wear in a Starbucks or something. That shit is ridiculous.

santouras said:
sports people tape their ankles all the time tho.... I guess you could tape and still wear vibrams

Taping lowers ankle/foot position awareness/proprioception. One study used barefoot and untaped athletes as the control group. Taping improved things when athletes wore shoes, but barefoot and untaped gave the best proprioceptive feedback. Of course, the authors assume that athletes have to wear shoes, so their conclusion is that taping can improve resistance against ankle injuries, but if you read between the lines it shows that barefoot is best.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't had any high calf soreness (up by the "ball" of my calf) but my lower calf/achilles muscles still get a bit sore. Pulled my achilles back when I was new to the shoes and moved up from 1 mile to longer distances (pulled it just shy of 2 miles, then pulled the other achilles at just over 2 miles after the first one healed).
Quote said:
http://www.newbalance.com/products/MT10/
Screen%20shot%202011-04-18%20at%2011.51.30%20PM.png

I personally have the Bikila, but I may not have gotten them if I saw these first.
I got a pair of those a couple of weeks back and they're AWESOME. Feel more comfortable than the FiveFingers imo, my form feels better; I'm hoping that after running in them for a while my overall form will have improved and the FiveFingers will feel that much better.

That said, I'm going to pick up at least my second pair of FiveFingers soon (KSO, the newish red ones) and possibly my third (white/red Bikilas or black/red Trek Sports). KSOs to replace my old ones for casual stuff (yard work, lake, beach, etc.) and the Trek Sports or Bikilas for running.

Nekofrog said:

This is the reason I'm debating Bikilas v Trek Sports.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
daycru said:
These sound sooo good but I'm wouldn't be confident enough to rock them outside. Props to you guys who do.
Nobody especially cares if my experiences are any indication. The only comment I've ever gotten was from a kid who said, "Nice shoes."

Then his little sister got upset and started saying "Shoes? Those aren't shoes. Those are feet!"

Cyan

Banned
So I finally bought a pair of these, and they're a wee bit tight. But the next size up felt really loose.

Is it better to stick with these and the slight tightness, or go with the much looser pair?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Cyan said:
So I finally bought a pair of these, and they're a wee bit tight. But the next size up felt really loose.

Is it better to stick with these and the slight tightness, or go with the much looser pair?
They're supposed to be snug, and they do expand a bit after you've worn them.

tenchir

Cyan said:

Try the looser one with injini socks?

East Lake

Monroeski said:
This is the reason I'm debating Bikilas v Trek Sports.
I felt the treksport was a bit more comfortable in the achilles area, confinement tends to bother me there.

@cyan, if your toes are snug consider a larger size, particularly if you're going distance running which would turn tight toes into blister heaven, or failing that there'll be stiffness you wouldn't experience with a more loose fit.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Cyan said:
Good to know, thanks!

Thought about it, but I'm really not keen on wearing socks with them.
I tried the socks once and found them uncomfortable. What style did you get?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is there a reason they don't just keep the internal shape and put rubber over the stupid toes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom