• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vibram Five Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Lake

dr3upmushroom said:
I'm mostly worried about the gait because I'm reading conflicting reports about how exactly you're supposed to run with them. One of my roommates is a Kinesiology major, and I asked him some questions about them while I researching them. He said that you're supposed to land on the balls of your feet, the lady at REI said you're supposed to land on the balls of your feet, you own the shoes and you're saying that you land on the balls of your feet.

I've read several articles about the shoes however that say that you do land on your heel, but since you're taking shorter strides you basically instantly roll over the outside of your foot so your heel isn't taking a huge shock, and THEN you roll onto the balls of your feet.

I guess maybe it's just a preference thing? Having read over and over again that the big appeal of these is that they train you to walk/run the "right" way our foot is designed for, it's weird to then read conflicting accounts of how exactly you're supposed to use them.

They felt extremely comfortable while I walked around with them in the store and jogged for a couple minutes in the parking lot, so I guess I'm not super worried about it since I'm sure I'll find a way to use them comfortably, but it would bug to feel like I paid for barefoot shoes and am not using them properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjrEyfQC5NQ&feature=player_embedded

^That's how I run generally. It feels odd for a while, there's an adjustment period but eventually it'll feel natural and heel striking will feel foreign. You don't have to lose complete contact with the heel or anything, but the ball should be absorbing the impact and the heel should be lightly grazing the ground afterward at most. At least that's what feels best to me. Everyone should take catfish's advice though, ease into it, really ease into it, don't overextend in distance or stride.

If you're looking for something more barefoot friendly I've found that shoes/boots with a neutral profile feel the best. Things to look for.

-relatively thin sole
-flatter, low profile insole
-heel should not be prominent
-no ankle support

I usually wear these. They're canvas so not much in the way of protection but they have the look and sole of a boot without the constriction. At any moment you could break into sprint and still be agile!

Blackhead

Redarse
FooTemps said:
For those who are asking about smell:

I've been wearing sprints for 4 years now. They're indeed great, but they get really really nasty (even with socks).

The trick I learned was to spray it with lysol or rubbing alcohol. I've put them through the wash, used bleach, and used various deodorizers. The best bet is to keep wearing socks and spray/soak your shoes with something that will definitely kill the bacteria.
The issues with hygiene are my biggest stumbling block. Are there any open toe/ sandals/ slippers with the same design ethos as the vibram?

Fallen_Hero said:
This entire thread is ridiculous. So what's the order of "purism" here?

Shoes -> Shoes that are slightly more expensive but "minimalist"

The idea of paying $85.00 to simulate walking barefoot is ludicrous. Just walk barefoot. A lot of the counter posts amount to "you just have no confidence." These shoes may or may not look ridiculous. Fine. But to see yourself as on a higher "level" because you where these shoes? :\

I'm willing to bet that at least some of you are buying these shoes, in fact, just to seem cool and unique. You want the attention of people looking at your feet and remarking something, positive or negative. This is why you are paying $85.00 to simulate walking/running with nothing.
"puncture proof"
Keep fucking that chicken, junior.

Cyan

Banned
Fallen_Hero said:

The idea of paying $85.00 to simulate walking barefoot is ludicrous. Just walk barefoot. A lot of the counter posts amount to "you just have no confidence." These shoes may or may not look ridiculous. Fine. But to see yourself as on a higher "level" because you where these shoes? :\

I'm willing to bet that at least some of you are buying these shoes, in fact, just to seem cool and unique. You want the attention of people looking at your feet and remarking something, positive or negative. This is why you are paying $85.00 to simulate walking/running with nothing.
What's all this about "higher level"?

The point is to take the good parts of barefoot running, mainly the effect it has on your stride/landing, without the negative parts, such as having to worry about sticks/pebbles/broken glass.

I appreciate your concern that we're wasting our money or are perhaps looking for attention, but really, we'll be ok.

East Lake

I have to say while vibrams are nice going completely barefoot is the real shit, even with the hard asphalt and added danger. I do wear vibrams when my feet start getting to raw or when it's cold enough that they'll go numb or get frostbite. I feel so unique when the occasional car drives by. derp

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Charred Greyface said:
The issues with hygiene are my biggest stumbling block. Are there any open toe/ sandals/ slippers with the same design ethos as the vibram?
You can throw then in the washer and line dry them. Keeping them clean isn't hard.
Fallen_Hero said:

As if people running barefoot don't look like tools.

Fallen_Hero said:

Not sure why you're so upset about this, it's stopping you from thinking about it. Like I've already said, "Just walk barefoot" isn't realistic. Not to mention having to worry about broken glass and sharp stones on trails, if you're in town a lot of restaurants and stores display the typical "No shoes, no shirt, no service" sign.

Have you ever tried the shoes? They feel completely different than normal shoes. I don't want to go all Inception here and point out deeper and deeper levels of pretentiousness here, but to some extent you're displaying the same behavior you're accusing others of. You feel better than others in this thread for refraining from overpaying on shoes, even though you don't take into consideration that there may be other reasons for purchasing them than just to look cool. It may be inconclusive, but there's definitely literature from experts saying that running barefoot is healthier, and as we've gone over a couple times now, going barefoot without some type of shoe/ protection isn't always possible.

My suggestion would be to actually try a pair and see if you still think that looking different is the only conceivable reason someone would want to own a pair. I'm guessing learning more about them will stop you from being hung up over their appearance.

Also, for those unaware, while they may seem expensive, running shoes typically are. Many people who run distance go through a couple pairs of $100+ shoes a year. For every day use Vibrams may seem expensive to some, but for athletic shoes they really aren't that outrageous.

Now I know this is radical, but have you considered something like:
10pvxqu.jpg

Got a pair of Bikila's last year to review. Took my time in getting use to them, and for runners, they are a lot of fun. Kind of get you reconnected to the ground. I like them a lot, although I've never worn them on any run longer than four miles. I still use my regular shoes for anything longer than that. These are very comfortable to wear though, especially if you like to go barefoot anyway, but want a little extra protection.

Cyan

Banned
DeuceMojo said:
Now I know this is radical, but have you considered something like:
http://i54.tinypic.com/10pvxqu.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Heh. Some people have, yeah. I can't cite studies or anything, but anecdotal internevidence suggests that cheap thin shoes are actually somewhat better for you than fancy thick-heeled running shoes. Though it also suggests that barefoot is better still.

[QUOTE=FleaTheMagician]I kind of want these because they look really cool, not because I am a runner.[/QUOTE]
Uh-oh, Fallen Hero is gonna be offended.

i got a pair of ksos for my birthday last year and have been dying to wear them again, but ive had this blister like little circle on my foot that hurts when i put pressure on it, it doesnt seem like its gonna go away for awhile and ive had it since like late feb/early march:(

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
FleaTheMagician said:
I kind of want these because they look really cool, not because I am a runner.

They're great for hiking (well paths that aren't covered with gravel). Thats another reason why I like them and make the longer hiking trips more comfortable due to the lack of weight constantly weighing down my feet (with hiking boots).

I am interested in these, so you guys actually run outdoors with these on and not just at the gym? So far I have only seen people wear these at the gym. Also, do these shoes support insoles? I am using some Superfeet insoles right now for my normal runners because I think I may be slightly flat footed.

Meier

BlueTsunami said:
They almost look like normal shoes in that photo the color scheme is what stands out the most. Also is seeing individual toes that shocking? And heres a reminder on what Crocs look like...

http://i.imgur.com/J17Hu.jpg[IMG]

I personally have Black on Black KSO's and even standing next to people some don't realize I'm wearing Vibrams unless I point it out to them. Though on a Subway I can see how people have nothing better to do then look at peoples feet.[/QUOTE]
I have no problem with people wearing them for running -- I'd imagine that is what they were designed for and if someone wants to look goofy while doing something physical where they're already pretty gross looking, so be it.

Wearing them under ANY other scenario though is just mindblowing to me. They are hideously ugly and frankly I find them repulsive because as I'd assumed, they're not very hygienic apparently.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Meier said:
Wearing them under ANY other scenario though is just mindblowing to me. They are hideously ugly and frankly I find them repulsive because as I'd assumed, they're not very hygienic apparently.

I can see how wearing them constantly would be a bit much, fortunately there's stuff like Nike Free that allows for the same concept of foot movement and not having to choose pure function over style.

CmKg6.jpg

9oazA.jpg

East Lake

Leshita said:
I am interested in these, so you guys actually run outdoors with these on and not just at the gym? So far I have only seen people wear these at the gym. Also, do these shoes support insoles? I am using some Superfeet insoles right now for my normal runners because I think I may be slightly flat footed.
The toes are separated so an insole probably would be no good unless you did some diy shit. My vibrams don't smell much either, use them every other day too, ymmv? Leave em outside or something.

Epic Drop

Leshita said:

I use a pair of KSO's for running outdoors and for weightlifting/kung fu indoors. They work great in both environments... I love them.

The shoes are designed to fit pretty tightly around your foot, and the toes are segmented, so I'm not sure that insoles would fit well - but I admit that I've never tried it. You might want to go to a store that sells these with your insoles and try some on.

Ill Saint

It's amazing to me that people freak out over a shoe because it has individual toes. I wear my Vibrams exclusively now and don't give a damn what people think. The health of my feet is far, far more important, and after years of shin and foot pain in runners and walking shoes I refuse to go back.

To those that buy FiveFingers, wear them for long periods straight away and get injured. Sorry, but this is your own fault. Read the material that came with them. Your feet don't need arch support, they need conditioning. Unless you're already used to walking or running barefoot, this can take months. Alternate between your Vibram's and your running shoes. Wear the Vibrams for maybe only 10-20 minutes at a time per day or every few days, even.

As for the smell issue, it may be obvious, but wash your feet well before you put them on. Keep your toenails cut an scrubbed. Good foot hygeine goes a long way to keeping any smell down. I've had my KSO's for a year, and they barely retain any bad odour after washing.

This thread reaches new heights of comical every 5-10 posts. Wow. Those boots are somethin' else.

Can I wear those snowboarding? 'Cause I want to really feel my deck.

Edit: No, I really want to hang ten, knowwhatI'msayin?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
For people wanting a fashionable casual barefoot-feel shoe, give Tsubo a look.

thanks for the recommendation, these are dope:

Ud4u2.jpg

Jesus Christ dude. We aren't talking about fucking Pogs. These are products built for utility however specialized. I have never worn any but it interests me and some people swear by them.

The human foot has 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles and tendons. The 52 bones in your feet make up about 25 percent of all the bones in your body.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Invisible_Insane said:
I have KSOs, my college was in upstate NY and the weather sucked a lot. I'm interested if they have ones designed for high-impact, though I have to stress again--my feet are completely flat, which I think was the real problem. There's no "natural spring" to be had. But my running form improved considerably, which I think is the more important point.

ahh you one of those flat foot fellows :D

Right, your form will improve, I already had form but it's being critiqued

BlueTsunami said:
I can see how wearing them constantly would be a bit much, fortunately there's stuff like Nike Free that allows for the same concept of foot movement and not having to choose pure function over style.

CmKg6.jpg

Granted these shoes are great but the vibram has a whole different feel of their own.

I have a pair of KSO's, I <3 them.

The smell can get bad after 8+ hrs of wearing them for a whole week straight.
But I have two methods of cleaning them.

Method 1: Washer, then air dry.

If I have time

Method 2: Shitty old toothbrush and liquid detergent and I get in there and scrub them down, takes like 10 minutes and keeps them April fresh for a couple weeks.

g35twinturbo said:
it's looks that much of a importance to you? If it is, these shoes are not for you (I'm sure someone else said this before in this thread)

They don't look that bad.

No... they look really bad. I'm not usually one to just bluntly say things but they are ugly ass shoes that could look decent if they got a decent guy designing the aesthetic of the shoes and fit the same bill people want.

Nappuccino said:
No... they look really bad. I'm not usually one to just bluntly say things but they are ugly ass shoes that could look decent if they got a decent guy designing the aesthetic of the shoes and fit the same bill people want.
I think the problem is that they just look different. Most of the people who don't like the design cite the toes as their main problem. The whole idea with these shoes though is that they're correcting problems that other shoes cause, so it might not be easy to do that while still clinging to the design of a traditional shoe.

How exactly would a different designer remake this shoe in any significant way? They're basically a glove for your foot, you can't really play with the design without ruining what their fans like about them.

Vibram6finger said:
I have a pair of KSO's, I <3 them.

The smell can get bad after 8+ hrs of wearing them for a whole week straight.
But I have two methods of cleaning them.

Method 1: Washer, then air dry.

If I have time

Method 2: Shitty old toothbrush and liquid detergent and I get in there and scrub them down, takes like 10 minutes and keeps them April fresh for a couple weeks.

Or put em in a bag and freeze em.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
dr3upmushroom said:
How exactly would a different designer remake this shoe in any significant way? They're basically a glove for your foot, you can't really play with the design without ruining what their fans like about them.
The way they change up the colors between the upper and the material between the toes emphasizes the toes being separated and I do think they'd probably look better/less different in general if they stopped actively calling attention to the toes being separate with their color schemes.

Gilby

Just a heads up: water shoes cost less than $10 at Walmart/wherever and are the most flexible, minimal, lightweight shoe available.

I've been wearing water shoes to run for a little over a year now, they work fantastically.

Freshmaker said:
The way they change up the colors between the upper and the material between the toes emphasizes the toes being separated and I do think they'd probably look better/less different in general if they stopped actively calling attention to the toes being separate with their color schemes.
They already have several styles that are a uniform color.

Aren't water shoes just cloth? Vibrams are very simple footwear, but they do have that layer of rubber? From what I've seen, most water shoes aren't going to do much if you have to run over rocks at all, or if you're worried about garbage on the path.

Gilby

dr3upmushroom said:

Aren't water shoes just cloth? Vibrams are very simple footwear, but they do have that layer of rubber? From what I've seen, most water shoes aren't going to do much if you have to run over rocks at all, or if you're worried about garbage on the path.

Never ran over garbage on them, but I used to run down the gravel road back home in them all the time; they don't offer much protection from rocks, but my feet got used to it after a while (none ever cut through them, just had to toughen my feet). The bottoms on the ones I have are rubber. I would say they're definitely not the most protective option, but they're a fraction of the price and fit the requirements for my school gym.

If you're new to forefoot running, don't want to break the bank, and/or are just going to be using them on safe surfaces (pavement, treadmill, grass, etc.) then they're definitely worth a shot.
That being said, I probably wouldn't go running through glass and other garbage with a pair, and large rocks could be a problem.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
dr3upmushroom said:
Yeah I know, but people that see the others tend to have a more negative reaction.

Water shoes tend to have rubber bottoms with stretchy fabric up top. Five Fingers were initially designed as a fancy water shoe in fact...

DeuceMojo said:
This thread reaches new heights of comical every 5-10 posts. Wow. Those boots are somethin' else.

Can I wear those snowboarding? 'Cause I want to really feel my deck.

Edit: No, I really want to hang ten, knowwhatI'msayin?

Actually, aside from the loss of heat that separating your toes would cause, I would love to have a pair for snowboarding. People don't realize how much their toe positioning effects their riding. Next time you go riding, try alternating heel to toe and putting pressure on different sides of your feet.
The majority of people who catch an edge and yard sale, do it because their feet aren't oriented correctly. I can say this because I sit at the top of a lift and watch people ride all day, spend about 45 of my lunch break riding, and then spend 2-3 hours after work riding. Today was day 88 for me this season (not including days I worked but didn't ride) and I would love a pair of Vibram snowboarding boots.

ameratsu

I have VFF Sprints. Got them about a year ago, use them at the gym and for indoor/outdoor running. They are great, just make sure you do the measurement thing on their website or try them on before buying. Sizing is very specific.

I agree that they just don't work as a casual shoe. I wore them out to a festival last year when I was getting my feet and legs used to walking barefoot extensively and I was frankly embarrassed to wear them in that setting. They are super comfy one you build up muscle in your feet and lower legs, but they just look weird.

dr3upmushroom said:
Tsubos look really nice, I wonder how well they approximate barefoot walking though, they look exactly like normal shoes in pictures.

That particular shoe is not a good example. I have an older pair that they do not make anymore, like these, but mine are all black suede.

TSUB032910_091530.main.jpg

These shoes are actually very light and minimal and once they are broken in it's like walking around in just a pair of socks. The sole is a very thin and flexible piece of rubber with minimal padding.

I think maybe the closest thing they sell now is the Tycho or the Tacoma model.

1192956-p-DETAILED.jpg

8077-GREY-mi-trans.jpg

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
ameratsu said:
I have VFF Sprints. Got them about a year ago, use them at the gym and for indoor/outdoor running. They are great, just make sure you do the measurement thing on their website or try them on before buying. Sizing is very specific.

I agree that they just don't work as a casual shoe. I wore them out to a festival last year when I was getting my feet and legs used to walking barefoot extensively and I was frankly embarrassed to wear them in that setting. They are super comfy one you build up muscle in your feet and lower legs, but they just look weird.

haha I wear them all over the place and I get nothing but compliments :D

Those TSUBO oxfords are pretty badass. Too bad they're all $180+.

Found a swank pair of casual sneakers at the right price though. GAF giving me fashion tips, hmm.

Anyway, they look better than most anything at Aldo, and will probably last longer.

Fallen_Hero said:

The thin but sturdy layer over my feet that keeps the broken glass, rusty screws, and nettles and thistles from piercing my feet is totally useless . I totally agree bro.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I saw a guy on the train a few minutes ago wearing these with what appeared to be work attire. Really not a good look.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
elrechazao said:
The thin but sturdy layer over my feet that keeps the broken glass, rusty screws, and nettles and thistles from piercing my feet is totally useless . I totally agree bro.
It does fail against goatheads. Beware.

v0yce

As a Nike Free lover, I've been wanting to try these out for quite some time. Finally picked up a pair of Smartwool Classics the other day for $50 shipped.

Really enjoying them so far. And I think they're easily the best looking Vibrams out there.

Smartwool-Vibram-Five-Fingers-Classic-Footwear.jpg

men_Vibram_FiveFingers_Classic_in_SmartWool_Multisport_Shoes_skate_shoes.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom