• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vince Zampella: Titanfall beta was full res textures

Status
Not open for further replies.

DinHerio

Banned
It's hard to believe.

I played it maxed out with the highest AA on 1920x1080 & always over 60ps. It's horrible optimized... but it doesn't look that bad.

12593256484_60200a6b35_o.png

Just don't look at the textures when you're hijacking a Titan, it'll give you eye cancer.
For the Xbox One, I honestly think it's the fault of the developers. I would never buy an Xbone but the performance in Titanfall is a joke. Half-Life 2 with Cinematic Mod runs
sometimes
better and(!) looks better. The joke is: The mod doesn't take care of weak systems, it's not optimized like a full retail game.

Sorry for the poor English, my brain feels foggy today.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Official word.

I'm wondering why they refuse to give information on what's actually in the game other than two maps and three modes -- a lot of people have been speculating that it would be part of a marketing blitz close to launch.

I guess there's one week left?

forget that, I'd like to actually see the 360 version. I wonder what the textures look like on that?

Soi-Fong

It's hard to believe.

I played it maxed out with the highest AA on 1920x1080 & always over 60ps. It's horrible optimized... but it doesn't look that bad.

Just don't look at the textures when you're hijacking a Titan, it'll give you eye cancer.
For the Xbox One, I honestly think it's the fault of the developers. I would never buy an Xbone but the performance in Titanfall is a joke. Half-Life 2 with Cinematic Mod runs
sometimes
better and(!) looks better. The joke is: The mod doesn't take care of weak systems, it's not optimized like a full retail game.

Sorry for the poor English, my brain feels foggy today.

Dude, your English is better than many people I know who were born here in America.

gatti-man

If the textures were better it would pull me off the x1 version to the pc version. As is I'd rather run it on x1. Low res textures would be really distracting at 1440p.

Alx

I'm wondering why they refuse to give information on what's actually in the game other than two maps and three modes

Confused about this myself.
Really surprised they haven't said much at all.
If we didn't have Razor leaking everything, we would literally know next to nothing about the full title.

Is it common to know everything about a game before it releases ? I would think that we usually learn about all the details once the game is out (from user feedback or reviews), there's no reason for the publisher to reveal everything beforehand.

Just a couple of points here:

The success of titles is front-loaded more than ever. I feel like the general zeitgeist of AAA gaming follows similarly: People play the hyped game of the month and move on to next big thing or return to their staple. That staple has absolutely been Call of Duty for the last 5 years. The problem with so many creatively bankrupt games that have chased after the same audience (I'm looking at you MoH) is that they didn't represent enough of a departure from that Call of Duty formula (some did like BC2 and BF3, both of which were hugely successful), so gamers simply returned to purer more potent form of that same experience -- Call of Duty. Getting back to your point, I think looking at TF six months down the line will be the true litmus test for whether this franchise has the potential some claim or whether it is ultimately "CoD with mechs." I think it'll much together for the masses than it will be for you; it does matter if players leave. TF does not want to be Halo in the sense that people buy the game and stop playing weeks later (huge drop-off in MP numbers). Halo is still a relevant, popular franchise but it was absolutely neutered by CoD.

I think especially on the X1, the idea of millions playing this game every night in November is a pipe dream. There is no "litmus test" because Titanfall is not the next call of duty. Yet. I feel sometimes people forget it took Call of duty 5 games, of consistant quality, and a total shake up of the formula before it became the sales juggernaut it is today. Not to mention the combined multiplat install base was several degress larger.

Whatever the future holds for the franchise, you cannot judge anything till the third or so game. Its going to make a very decent splash regardless. From there on, time will tell.

hawk2025

Is it common to know everything about a game before it releases ? I would think that we usually learn about all the details once the game is out (from user feedback or reviews), there's no reason for the publisher to reveal everything beforehand.

No.

But it's certainly common to know what a "campaign" is even about, or that there are more than 2 maps.

We're not talking about revealing everything here -- we're talking about something other than the very very basic. Just a map count and an example of what a campaign multiplayer stage is like makes more sense than complete and total silence.

Milennia

Every single major shooter title thats released in the last 3 years has listed their game modes and map counts, as well as previewed most of their maps through other outlets.
They want people to be aware of the variety.

DinHerio

Banned
Don't be, your English is very good.

Dude, your English is better than many people I know who were born here in America.

Thank you.

The game doesn't look that great, but the textures aren't horrible on higher settings on PC. I took some shadowplay footage from the PC beta running on insane textures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ounvP81dU

One could definitely question why you need 3GB of VRAM for that quality though.

Yep, it looks okay but nothing like next-gen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSgoGYpnwKM Used FRAPS, there are heavy framerate drops.

hawk2025

Every single major shooter title thats released in the last 3 years has listed their game modes and map counts, as well as previewed most of their maps through other outlets.
They want people to be aware of the variety.

This is the weird thing.

From the leaks, it DOES appear to be quite varied with some interesting maps and a decent number of them to boot.

Why the secrecy? Why not feature them a bit to make people hyped for what else they will be getting with the full game?

Makes no sense to me!

They keep playing it off with "we want there to be things that the players find out for themselves" like they are doing us a favor by not confirming what is/isn't in the game.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks like a very current gen game. No thanks.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This game doesn't look current gen at all.

(current gen being the PS4/XBO generation we are right now enjoying)

When do we start calling next gen current gen. It's a confusing time.

Environment textures looked pretty bland, not terrible but very last gen. I have no idea how they couldn't get this game to 1080p with how absolutely average it looks.

Gestault

Those look the same, just with no sharpening and a higher than 720p image in the one. But, it is a gif. Can we have the two images in non gif form?

I can't host them lossless until minus is back up, that's the problem :/ That being said, look at everything toward the end of the barrel for the clearest difference. The sharpening filter would make the alpha appear higher contrast, and we see the opposite here.

SeanR1221

Official word.

I'm wondering why they refuse to give information on what's actually in the game other than two maps and three modes -- a lot of people have been speculating that it would be part of a marketing blitz close to launch.

I guess there's one week left?

It's very odd for a game so hyped. It's not like a TLoU situation where the story was a huge part. They might as well be dropping all the info to build more hype.

cyberheater

Environment textures looked pretty bland, not terrible but very last gen. I have no idea how they couldn't get this game to 1080p with how absolutely average it looks.

Yes. I did say this in a earlier Titanfall thread. I can't understand why this isn't 1080p just looking at the visuals and given it's a source engine.

USC-fan

Banned
The same textures @25% resolution is still the same assets, he is not that far wrong, unless he explains fully what he ment, it is ambiguous, chill :)

Yeah i dont understand the outrage at his comments. Beta is still not "full res" since the PC version has better....

Seem to be spin from the developers....

"Tintnfall - 16 maaps fo laucnh, bxone alph a textures ARE fin@l assets #1
wha it says in the tile. PC rev wil hva impve textures n thatsit."

Are they not final asset in the alpha at 25% resolution to keep download size low but different assets made just for the alpha? Beta had the same assets at "full res" and PC has different textures that are "ultra" This seem to confirm what he was saying. Unless im missing something.

BigDug13

Haha yeah I know. Was just giving you shit. ;p

It is a confusing time made worse this time by the insane amount of cross-gen games.

Titanfall being one of them. I can't imagine the image quality of the 360 version being much worse.

It's very odd for a game so hyped. It's not like a TLoU situation where the story was a huge part. They might as well be dropping all the info to build more hype.

The problem is that you don't have any major gaming sites/companies pushing them to give more info or questioning why they are keeping everything so close to the vest with only a few days left until launch.

hawk2025

If ntrkl is to be believed, the first map pack comes out 45 days after launch.

What if some of the maps leaked through the beta files are preliminary DLC info instead of what's included with the shipped game? Within those files, did Razor find any info regarding whether or not they were included in the basic package?

It's probably safe to assume that all 15 will be playable day one, right?

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs

What if some of the maps leaked through the beta files are preliminary DLC info instead of what's included with the shipped game? Within those files, did Razor find any info regarding whether or not they were included in the basic package?

I posted this in the leaked topic on one of the last pages:

Even though there is quite compelling proof of the 15 maps (names, descriptions, lobby images, scripts etc) it's still possible that some were not finished and not ready to be shipped.

The Beta only had the main map vpk files of the Beta maps so we don't know the state of the other maps. The Campaign mode only uses 9 maps from the 15 leaked.
It's going to be interesting for sure to see how things end up at launch.

So it isn't safe to assume that all 15 maps will be there at launch. There could only be 9 if we go by the campaign.

Never assume until it's confirmed. It is very possible some of those are DLC maps.

Yeah i dont understand the outrage at his comments. Beta is still not "full res" since the PC version has better....

Seem to be spin from the developers....

"Tintnfall - 16 maaps fo laucnh, bxone alph a textures ARE fin@l assets #1
wha it says in the tile. PC rev wil hva impve textures n thatsit."

Are they not final asset in the alpha at 25% resolution to keep download size low but different assets made just for the alpha? Beta had the same assets at "full res" and PC has different textures that are "ultra" This seem to confirm what he was saying. Unless im missing something.
He could have clarified in his post after the beta ended. Instead he doubled down on everyone's accepted interpretation of his first post.

Those look the same, just with no sharpening and a higher than 720p image in the one. But, it is a gif. Can we have the two images in non gif form?

They really do look strikingly similar, at least to my eyes. Look at the text with the caution sign, it doesn't become any more legible. :/

wotta

I've asked Respawn a lot via twitter when we will find out re: content on the disc and have not had an answer once. Either there are major spoilers they don't want to talk about, or they are afraid of letting people know what's on the disc for fear of putting a dampener on the hype.

IMO this game is built up far too much, so much so that it can't possibly live up to the expectations placed upon it. Hopefully it'll be amazing, but I can't help worry when EA and Respawn are this quiet re: content so close to launch.

hawk2025

I don't think the game has been built up too much -- but I do think that the fact that it's fun to play has made people stop asking questions (or, rather, accept the lack of answers).

I've asked Respawn a lot via twitter when we will find out re: content on the disc and have not had an answer once. Either there are major spoilers they don't want to talk about, or they are afraid of letting people know what's on the disc for fear of putting a dampener on the hype.

IMO this game is built up far too much, so much so that it can't possibly live up to the expectations placed upon it. Hopefully it'll be amazing, but I can't help worry when EA and Respawn are this quiet re: content so close to launch.

I don't expect to hear anything from Respawn until after the game launches. They will already have an explanation ready to go once people find out any negative details about the game.

Prologue

What if the maps that were leaked aren't the total amount? For all we know, some of those are DLC maps and the game ships with fewer.

wotta

What if the maps that were leaked aren't the total amount? For all we know, some of those are DLC maps and the game ships with fewer.

Exactly. The so called 'mainsteam websites' should be asking these questions instead of creaming themselves over the hits mentioning Titanfall brings in. Maybe if they done their job properly we would know the answers.

I mean I got an email from IGN the other day trying to sell me a Titanfall bundle, but aren't they the site that should be finding out more about the content and pushing for answers?

Jedi2016

I've stopped using "current". There's only "next-gen" and "last-gen". That's the only way to really differentiate right now, give it a clear dividing line. Once everyone has a next-gen system and no one's really making any last-gen games, then we can start talking about "current", but by then no one will care.

antitrop

I've stopped using "current". There's only "next-gen" and "last-gen". That's the only way to really differentiate right now, give it a clear dividing line. Once everyone has a next-gen system and no one's really making any last-gen games, then we can start talking about "current", but by then no one will care.

Exactly this. We're in the cross-gen, there is only last and next. Current gen is 360/PS3/XB1/PS4.

Nah there is a difference.

They've taken them from the DS article, http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02...proved-from-alpha-to-beta-respawn-vindicated/

Specifically...
http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/XboxOneAlpha01.png
http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/XboxOneBeta01.png

Still what I would consider poor though, given the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom