• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump recorded bragging about his fame letting him violate women in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahonay

Banned
After watching Fox News for a half hour, I can understand how people who only watch Fox News can have a completely warped world view.
YUP. My girlfriend's dad watches it all day and you can easily tell the kind of effect it has on him. The sky is falling and our country is going to shit because of the Democrats.

At least he's pro-choice and hates Republicans bringing religion into everything.

EloKa

can someone explain to me why this latest daily trump is a reason for many candidates to withdraw their endorsment? Don't get me wrong - his view on women is definately a reason to not vote for him. But many other earlier stories should also have already been reasons to not vote / endorse him coming from a rational view.

Has his view on women another level of impact on the society compared to his constant racist remarks or getting caught lying / having no idea of politics? Or is it on the same level and people simply had enough?

"100% of perverts go back to their ways. Sadly, there is no cure" - Donald Trump

pepe_x_reader__young_love_by_fallingteapots-d8vkhss.png

Izuna

Banned
can someone explain to me why this latest daily trump is a reason for many candidates to withdraw their endorsment? Don't get me wrong - his view on women is definately a reason to not vote for him. But many other earlier stories should also have already been reasons to not vote / endorse him coming from a rational view.

Has his view on women another level of impact on the society compared to his constant racist remarks or getting caught lying / having no idea of politics?

Honestly? I think it's just dominoes for the most part. Women are shocked, and politicians (not women) realise that they can't defend this shit.

These GOP smugs have wives, daughters etc. they can't use religion as a reason to defend the sexism like they can with pro-life etc.

Has his view on women another level of impact on the society compared to his constant racist remarks or getting caught lying / having no idea of politics?

Because these people have white moms, white sisters and white daughters. If Trump said he could grab all mexican or muslim women by the pussy, maybe it wouldn't be as big a deal.

1. Even the most privileged voters have wives, daughters and sisters. This hits close to home for them.

2. This is not so much a "everything was fine until this came out, then it was the apocalypse". He was already losing pretty badly

3. Mainstream Republicans have been waiting on the right scandal as an excuse to jump ship.

Oersted

Has his view on women another level of impact on the society compared to his constant racist remarks or getting caught lying / having no idea of politics? Or is it on the same level and people simply had enough?

This is getting tiresome

I honestly don't think it was the tipping point for any of the elites you're seeing. You're not seeing Christie, Gingrich, Giuliani, and Carson unendorse him. You're seeing a bunch of mainstream Republicans many of whom reluctantly endorsed him to begin with because he was their party's nominee. I think what you have here is a timeline that looks pretty clear; Hillary has pretty consistently been 4-5 points up from Trump and Trump has consistently had a ceiling at 40-41% of the vote. After Hillary's bad month, the race was looking more competitive. Republicans would rather win than lose, so you have situations like Ted Cruz reluctantly endorsing Trump while looking constipated. Now, another few weeks have passed, the first debate was a spanking, and Trump spent the week after being a baby about Miss Universe (Hillary rope-a-doped him so transparently on that, it's hard to believe he fell for it--she read the prompt off a cue-card word for word, it was one of the most obvious situations imaginable). So if you're a Republican, you're thinking "shit, we're losing the presidency" and you're thinking about how to mitigate the downticket damage, particularly marginal senate races.

Now, in that context, this tape comes out. This gives you an out to make it look like your defection is principled rather than strategic. If you're John McCain, you no longer have a primary to worry about, you're going to almost certainly win this November, and now you get to unendorse this guy who climbed to the top by stabbing you in the back. Sounds good to me. Who else is bailing? Paul Ryan (reluctantly endorsed him), Reince Preibus (reluctantly endorsed him), and a bunch of nobody senators and reps mostly people who were barely on board to begin with.

Pence is probably the closest thing to an honest defection, and he's the guy who comes out smelling like absolute roses from all this. Before being recruited to the ticket, Pence was likely going to lose the Indiana gubernatorial race. Inviting him to the ticket means he doesn't have to, sparing him an embarrassing loss. As a Trump surrogate he's struck a good balance of not defending Trump's worst atrocities and trying to integrate Trump into the party, and he's absolutely not to blame for Trump's performance since clearly Trump is a loose cannon. Note that I am a non-citizen resident of the US, left of the Democratic party politically, so this isn't me saying I love Mike Pence, but rather that I think he's generally conducted himself with dignity and impressed people within his party. Going into 2020 it's hard to believe Pence wouldn't be a consideration for the presidential nomination.

The real unanswered question for me now is how the party prevents this from happening again, since whether Trump or someone else the populists have the smell of blood on their noses. I would assume a good first pass would be to disqualify candidates who haven't been party members for <x> years, where x is whatever number discourages Trump and people like him. Not sure how you prevent an actual Republican from running a fringe "free media, cover my lunacy" angle though.

I think he correctly thinks that he won't be blamed for the loss, and that he's already put enough daylight between Trump and himself to avoid the taint for his future career. He doesn't want to be an Eagleton or alienate the well more than half of his party that still supports Trump.

What did Rudy say? Can't watch Twitter at work.

He says Hillary is two faced. Telling wall street one thing behind closed doors and having to pretend with the public.

News guy says but Trump said those things in private but you're saying it isn't who he is.

Rudy is stunned and the video cuts out. Not sure what his actual rebuttal was.

RedHill

Banned

Because they're all GOP people that were fine with the racism and homophobia because they agreed with that.

Vile comment that was unprompted, and women were too large a demographic to offend.

Mahonay

Banned

Republicans were absolutely desperate to get him into office because of the mess they've put themselves into with the Supreme Court Judge situation. They wanted to get a Republican in office so they could pick their own purely conservative Justice to replace Scalia after blocking Obama from electing a new one for the past year. So they just swallowed their dislike for Trump and kept the train going. And Trump shares more Republican ideals than Hillary does (severely anti-immigration, trickle down tax, etc.)

Sure, they should have stopped Trump before he became their candidate, but that's on the other candidates (Bush, Rubio, etc.) for being WAY too soft on Trump and just not smart enough to really hammer into people just how insane he was.

It took something like this Access Hollywood tape that is 100 percent impossible to defend and come out looking good.

Izuna

Banned
While I'm all for trump goung down... hw os this different from the Hogan sex tape?

What's the point here? Gawker should be fine? Or that Hogan's racism was aight?

edit: also wtf is with fox news loving hacks, which were ultimately the real problem with benghazi?

While I'm all for trump goung down... hw os this different from the Hogan sex tape?

Trump was on set of a television show with knowledge of airing of the work he'd do that day.

I'd hope Hogan wasn't fucking his best friends wife on the Tonight Show or something like that

Can someone help me out here, this enabler talk; do we have actual sources for this information. Rudy is talking about books and quotes and citations, etc. What are they, I would like to actually read them.

Klocker

I just read this: According to Politico, after watching a video of Trump’s remarks, “10 percent of Republicans said the video gave them a positive feeling,”

What the entire fuck is going on in this country?
Men who can't get dates sadly thinking they should also be allowed to grope women at will. Make America Great Again.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I was fine... With the women
That I would make fun of now and again.
I was fine, cause I knew.
That anything I said wouldn't matter until you came and we fought like it was some silly game.
Over nothing, cause I knew that after all my shit Id never thought I'd lose.

Its over, isn't it, isn't it?
Isn't it over!
Its over, isn't it, isn't it
Isn't it over!
You won! America has chose you!
They loved me but now their gone!
Its over, isn't it, why can't I move on?

Hate and glory, no invention, racist comments for their attention.
Out in spotlight my potential
bigoted, sexist, mentally unstable.

Who am I in this world without money?
Petty and dull with the nerve of a donkey.
But what does it matter its already done!
Now I must stand here pointing with my gun!

Its.... Over isn't it, isn't it?
Isn't it over.
Its over, isn't it? Isn't it?
Isn't it over!
YOU WON. AMERICA HAS CHOSE YOU.
THEY LOVED ME BUT NOW THEIR GONE!
Its over isn't it... Why can't I move on.
it's over isn't it...? why cant I... Moove of oonn.

Hoooooly shit!

Dropping another Anna hot take
https://twitter.com/uMadddt/status/784720840109678592

"Es un raciiiista!"

You come at the Queen, you best not miss. Ana on fire!

I'm getting really fucking sick to the point of anger at the deflectiom by Trump surrogates.

1. It's locker room banter

2. It was 11 years ago

3. BUT BILL CLINTON

Trump surrogates throw darts to pick one these 3 to go with. Give me a fucking break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom