• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

webm |OT| Welcome to the world of superior gifs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinduct

Was talking to my friend yesterday about how Google should support webm in hangouts. With 4chan adoption it might just happen one day!

akaoni

Banned
I feel pity for the people who can't this shit right now, 10 years from now I'll be able to say "I was there". It's a revolution in the making. Who the fuck posts gifs anyway?

-SD-

Banned
I personally couldn't give a rats ass about the slight compression artifacts that .webm creates if it means animated images load instantly every time.
I wanted to make that comparison because of the thread title: superior GIFs. webm is only superior to GIFs if it's not recompressed.

By the way, just tested out pomf and it does not recompress webm. YAY!

http://a.pomf.se/ynjaqn.webm

Coreda

I wanted to make that comparison because of the thread title: superior GIFs. webm is only superior to GIFs if it's not recompressed.

By the way, just tested out pomf and it does not recompress webm. YAY!

http://a.pomf.se/ynjaqn.webm

Full color, fps, resolution, and an optimized modern codec is not superior to 256 uncompressed gifs?

At least we have pomf though, works a treat, but considering it would mainly be replacing ephemeral reaction gifs I'd take still 232KB over 3.4MB considering the default width is currently 500px with the extensions ;p
gfycatvspomfqualitya3ugp.png

psylah

http://a.pomf.se/nsznyr.webm
First test. Too bad my laptop can't play bluray, I have to use the DVD version instead. Still trying to mess around with ffmpeg, so that I can find a setting that suits my liking when it comes to file size and overall quality. But as of now, this will do.

Compare to the same sequence made in gif: this one is 854x360 and around 2.5Mb vs 480x200 and more than 9Mb. Yet one's quality is almost the same, while the other's is really hideous (in order to reduce the file size to less then 10Mb). Damn.

I skipped Man of Steel. I'll fix that.

TheDanger

Banned
You can double click for fullscreen, might want to add this to the OP. I'm using the Greasemonkey Firefox script, I don't know if it works with the chrome or opera plugin.

kulapik

My problems with the Chrome extension (they're not problems at all, but I would prefer it:

- To have an option to eliminate controls
- Click to play by default
- Being able to play and pause clicking on the video. To pause you have to click the button on the player controls.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Any chance you could add in an option to have sound play automatically on rollover?

Yes.

You would be a wizard if you made one for Safari. :)

Yes.

My problems with the Chrome extension (they're not problems at all, but I would prefer it:

- To have an option to eliminate controls
- Being able to play and pause clicking on the video. To pause you have to click the button on the player controls.

These two are in the cards.

- Click to play by default

This one isn't, for now.

Watevaman

I'm going to post this again here, since I didn't get an answer in the other thread and all the google answers I'm finding are more for developers:

Why aren't these playing for me in Firefox? It says video format or MIME type is not supported if I click on them and if I middle click (to open in a new tab for example) it prompts me to download the webm file.

okayfrog

Banned
I'm going to post this again here, since I didn't get an answer in the other thread and all the google answers I'm finding are more for developers:

Why aren't these playing for me in Firefox? It says video format or MIME type is not supported if I click on them and if I middle click (to open in a new tab for example) it prompts me to download the webm file.

I'm getting the same.

Irminsul

No love for Opera 12 users? :(
Just use the Firefox Greasemonkey script. It didn't work for me with Opera 12 for OS X, but it does under Windows.

If you don't know how to add scripts (my Opera installation is in German, so I'm guessing the translations for the English version of Opera):

1. Create a folder where you want to put the script.
2. Save the Greasemonkey script in this folder.
3. In Opera, go to Ctrl+F12 (preferences) -> Advanced (last tab) -> Content -> JavaScript options... -> User JavaScript folder, choose the directory from 1.
4. Success!

I have just found out that I can create much smaller webm with really high quality if I encode the webm with 2 pass encoding. Great! Never thought of it before, I keep thinking crf mode for webm must be the same for H264. Apparently, it's a bit different.

Usescript Embedder version 5.

Added options. Now every NeoGAF page has a "WebM Embedder Options" button at the bottom of every page. You can now set whether WebMs and MP4s auto play, auto mute, shows controls and auto loop by default, and you can also customise the width of the videos in question. Haven't worked out how to not increase the side of slimmer/smaller videos, and I suspect it'll be beyond my capabilities.

Oh, and due to the library used to make the option menu, this may not work native in Chrome or Opera any more (but you've got Andrex's extension, so who cares?).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I make some gifs now and then and I decided to test .WebP after reading about .WebM:

This is a 8.98MB GIF at 240p:
iWAMOdeYeexBW.gif

This is the same GIF, converted to the Lossy version of .WebP. It came out at 3.2MB.
ddprlj.webp

That's a 2.7 times smaller file for the "same" quality.

With that in mind, I wanted to see if the same compression would be achieved on a bigger resolution.

This is a 6.8MB Lossy .WebB converted from a 18.7MB GIF (the same length as before, but at 320p instead of 240p).
irltfp.webp

Again, we get a file 2.7 times smaller than the original GIF. The 320p .WebP file is actually smaller than the original 240p .GIF file!

I couldn't find a way to create an animated .WebP file without first creating the animated .GIF, but why aren't we using this format again? It's smaller than .GIFs and less CPU Intensive than .WebM. Google even gives that as a reason to why not use WebM inside IMG tags: https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/faq#why_should_i_use_animated_webp

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
WebM for NeoGAF (Chrome) 1.5

- Now works with posts added by D4Danger's Live Reload extension (version 2.1+ required, which he hasn't uploaded yet, so sit tight!)

All preferences. It reverts to the default whenever I close the tab, and I don't see a "save" button anywhere.

Really? It should be in the lower right. Can you screenshot the options page?

Awesome! One glitch though: turning on/off audio also pauses the video.

Do you have click-to-play enabled? Hmm.

I've also noticed delayed loading on some videos now. Not sure if it's an issue with the extension or the webhosts. Looking into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom