• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

webm |OT| Welcome to the world of superior gifs

Status
Not open for further replies.
1o6H796.png
Andrex. I knew you were always good for something

How does everyone seem to get 60fps on the online video converter site? I try to make it 60, but it says it stops at 30 (unless another way has to be used?). Also, what's the best bitrate to do for best quality?

-Deimos

magnificent.

I'm waiting for a retort from our other gi... webm master.

Yeah, but I have to upload it to the Internet for it to work; it's a pain.

You don't have to upload it. Just take a screen cap, use paint to crop it and drag the image onto google's image search bar.

I don't know if it's the file format, the extension or the browser, but several of them aren't working for me. They're just black images; I have to refresh to make them work, and even then, it's not a sure-proof thing.

You don't have to upload it. Just take a screen cap, use paint to crop it and drag the image onto google's image search bar.

I didn't know this. I'll try it.

DaBoss

Ahh, I figured out why the stuttering at the end happens on Firefox. It seems the audio causes an issue. I just checked and each of the ones with audio causes a stutter.

After seeing those woman in WebM I can't help but feel like we are flying to close to the sun.

Like we have found a new wonder drug only to find out 3 weeks later it causes your genitals to fall off.

its coming.. mark my words.

its too good to be true.

FyreWulff

I wouldn't really be concerned about hardware acceleration. It doesn't make much sense to say "h264 has all the hardware decoding, so we shouldn't use anything else".. for one, all the mobile hardware out there will sunset in as little as 3 years. If VP8/9 get a sudden push from a ton of content, the hardware will add support for acceleration and it'll be standard in a minimum amount of time.

For PCs, it'd just take a driver update to the graphics chipsets and now you have full hardware decoded VP_ video, and the next waves would have chips or whatever dedicated to decoding it.

-SD-

Banned
Can you point me to the ffmpeg VP9 documentation/tutorial?
I'm still taking babysteps in FFmpeg (and I don't know much at all about video encoding in general) but here's what I currently use to get the absolute highest webm quality. So, basically ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg.

ffmpeg -i input.avi -c:v libvpx-vp9 -crf 0 -b:v max output.webm

-libvpx-vp9 = Encoding with the Google VP9 codec
-crf 0 = Constant Rate Factor lossless (use higher values for lower quality)
-b:v max (I've currently really no idea, but I think max outputs the highest bit rate possible, since it is very high.) Someone wiser please, lecture me on this.

That string produces 3x file size increase compared to the stuff I posted earlier with only a slight IQ improvement. But hey... it's the highest quality! Thinking of using crf4 or 3 from now on, though.

I'll ask this here as I don't want to create a thread about it and Google did not prove useful.

For the past two months or so, Chrome for Mac has been sporadically starting in full screen mode when I open it. Not always; it seems to be random, as I haven't noticed a pattern.

Does anybody have a clue as to why and how I can make it stop ?

mothball

There was an update to a 4chan extension today:

"Dramatically decreased CPU usage by pausing webm files not in the viewport."

Would this be possible with these extensions?

Branduil

One thing I'm noticing with chrome extension: when a video is quoted each copy is individually loaded instead of just duplicating the original video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom