• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

Hexa

Has there been any news about which team at Insomniac are making the R&C game? That would make the difference of it being probably my most anticipated game of the year to completely ignoring it. If it's the a crack in time team then thank you very much Insomniac you are the best, All4One team and fuck off. Unfortunately I think the answer is clear.

They said both the North Carolina (A4O and FFA) and California (Everything else) teams are working on it together, but with the California team also having done Sunset Overdrive, I'm going to assume it's more North Carolina than California. However, I think the North Carolina team did Into the Nexus as well, which was about just as good as any of the other games in the future trilogy, though a bit shorter, so I think this should have good amount of potential.

E3, Gamescom, Pre-TGS & PSX were gaemsgamesgaems by and large.

Not all were equal in AAA showcases, but that situation isn't exclusive to Sony.

DNAbro

Uhh when did people start talking about Sony getting CoD marketing? Any basis or any insiders actually say that?

Cause that would be great cause I would assume the 1 month early DLC for Xbox will stop and hopefully come at the same time.

They said both the North Carolina (A4O and FFA) and California (Everything else) teams are working on it together, but with the California team also having done Sunset Overdrive, I'm going to assume it's more North Carolina than California. However, I think the North Carolina team did Into the Nexus as well, which was about just as good as any of the other games in the future trilogy, though a bit shorter, so I think this should have good amount of potential.

.........don't give a fuck about this game anymore, that's just the worst news I could hear about this game. North Carolina are fucking terrible, it's like the studio Insomniac have out out there to keep the money coming in from Sony with R&C whereas all the top talent is kept at California to make new IPs which Insomiac hope will break out. I don't understand why thee is such a disparity between the two studios, absolutely ridiculous. Also opinions and all but I could not disagree more with your comment about FFA, was shit. A crack in time and tools of destruction was beautiful and amazing games, this news hurts so bad.

:(

BokehKing

Banned
I think it might. Halo 5 will have to compete against Battlefront and Call of Duty this year. And after the multiplayer decline of Halo 4 and the MMC launch they have a uphill battle. It will still sell very well though.
And Destiny, that's 3 games it has to go against, each of those 3 games offer something different, where halo will just b we halo

People will still pick it up for the campaign though

Hugstable

Banned
This is a sales thread.

this isn't a sales thread, this is a topic wondering about what games Sony might have for the Holidays, which is much like the topic Loaf just started about the Sony teams. It's a topic about what Sony's teams might be up to and discussion about what games we may like to see etc. The premise of this topic wasn't a straight up sales thread, it just got turned into that.

DNAbro

And Destiny, that's 3 games it has to go against, each of those 3 games offer something different, where halo will just b we halo

People will still pick it up for the campaign though

If we get a Destiny expansion i think they will try to go with a September release.

I'm assuming it's aimed more for the people who've never played a R & C than the ones who have but I'll be curious as to whether franchise fatigue will be a factor to it's sales. Into the Nexus wasn't that long ago.

I think even with new players a game that's completely new will be more appealing than remasters. As far as ItN goes, that was more of a small scale project. This will be the first large scale single player Ratchet game since A Crack in Time. That was released in 2009.

Swass

MS didn't have any exclusives that I can recall for January & February but KI Season 2 has been ongoing, March had Screamride, Ori, and Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious and April has Conker's Big Reunion in Project Spark and State of Decay coming out soon. May, June and September are the dry months unless Forza 6 is out in Sept.

If I wasn't a multi console owner and this is all I had to look forward to for what is going on 6 months now, I would be beyond disappointed. Luckily 3rd party software pads it up a bit so it doesn't appear as bad as it is.

W.S.

If I wasn't a multi console owner and this is all I had to look forward to for what is going on 6 months now, I would be beyond disappointed. Luckily 3rd party software pads it up a bit so it doesn't appear as bad as it is.
Well no matter what console you're on I doubt you'll ever have a shortage of games to play given how frequently they come out on top of all the free stuff PSN/XBL gives you.

I of course buy 3rd party games in between the exclusive MS games but I think I'd still have a good amount of exclusive content to play if I just lived on those. Most MS games have enough multiplayer content to keep you busy for a while and games like Project Spark have excellent replay value given the play and create model.

Bandit1

Ratchet and Clank
The Uncharted Trilogy Remastered (possibly)
And I'm hoping for a Gran Turismo 7: Prologue

I'd be very satisfied with that lineup

hydruxo

.........don't give a fuck about this game anymore, that's just the worst news I could hear about this game. North Carolina are fucking terrible, it's like the studio Insomniac have out out there to keep the money coming in from Sony with R&C whereas all the top talent is kept at California to make new IPs which Insomiac hope will break out. I don't understand why thee is such a disparity between the two studios, absolutely ridiculous. Also opinions and all but I could not disagree more with your comment about FFA, was shit. A crack in time and tools of destruction was beautiful and amazing games, this news hurts so bad.

Lol talk about overreaction. We haven't even seen anything about the game.

Hexa

FFA and A4O were shit. I don't disagree with you on that. I said Into the Nexus, which I think was up there with Crack in Time and better than Tools of Destruction though much shorter obviously.

Unless some people really got their shit together which is unlikely, Ratchet and Clank will be the big Sony published game this holiday.

Maybe they will at least have some co marketing deals though. Last year was a bad combo of SCE C tier games + No 3rd party deals. Not a good look for them. They normally dont have that many games for the holidays but 2014 was especially rough.

Marketing a platformer in the modern era of shooters and action games? Hmmm......I don't know if it would be worth it to Sony. I guess you never know. If Sony does a pack-in or two with the PS4 with their $399 or $349 price point, they will probably be fine unless Microsoft drops a major bombshell during the holidays like a significant price drop or colossal exclusive/system seller.

River

Neo Member
H1Z1, Destiny Comet exclusives originally september but house of wolves was what 2 months past their internal slide so possible November here if add 2 months to september slide, Battlefront exclusives, and then an onslaught of Project Morpheus ads for the start of 2016. Yea I think they are fine.

Chris1

It'd just be very strange for MS to give up co-marketing right now. The series isn't as big as it once was, but it's still the biggest yearly seller. This is also the year that a new Black Ops is going to release, and that's part of the franchise that even those that are usually critical of the series seem to like.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/589928312287297536

There's that tweet too. I don't buy MS let go of CoD just yet, it doesn't make much sense to do so. If anything this year would be the year to double down on it, not let it go.

Servbot24

Banned
Marketing a platformer in the modern era of shooters and action games? Hmmm......I don't know if it would be worth it to Sony. I guess you never know. If Sony does a pack-in or two with the PS4 with their $399 or $349 price point, they will probably be fine unless Microsoft drops a major bombshell during the holidays like a significant price drop or colossal exclusive/system seller.

I don't think it's such a bad idea to market a platformer for the holidays. That's when most kids will be asking for a console after all.

Ratchet and Clank
The Uncharted Trilogy Remastered (possibly)
And I'm hoping for a Gran Turismo 7: Prologue

I'd be very satisfied with that lineup

I... would not be.

That's just a plain uninspired holiday season as far as I'm concerned. But, I'm not too fussed since I did just get my "dream" exclusive less than a month ago (Bloodborne, obviously!)

The only way Sony can have an impressive holiday season and an impressive E3 showing is if they end with a 15 minute demo presentation of Persona 5 followed by a release date announcement. October 27th. Do it.

The only way. Everything else would result in disappointment!

The only way Sony can have an impressive holiday season and an impressive E3 showing is if they end with a 15 minute demo presentation of Persona 5 followed by a release date announcement. October 27th. Do it.

The only way. Everything else would result in disappointment!

October isn't part of the holiday season

Holiday season starts late November.

When did October become part of the holiday season?

And why can't you just say you are looking forward to Persona 5 the most? Why do you feel it necessary to shit on everyone else's projects?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
depressing to see people get hot under the collar over which platform owner publishers have signed a marketing deal with. it's like the console cold war.
Sheeeeeiittt son. This is a discussion about sales, not a general console wars thread.

And why can't you just say you are looking forward to Persona 5 the most? Why do you feel it necessary to shit on everyone else's projects?
I thought Greenberg said that that the "reL season" was October to December and everything else was pre-season.

Also in no time since the PS1 has holiday season started late November. No time.

post-5848-Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-mem-o17d.gif

I was joking around.

Apathy

Wonder if Sony and MM will show off a new game at E3 or wait for Gamescom. They have to be ready to show something. Bend also has to have something to show by now, and they might show up for E3.

I am still hoping for the Witness and even more for Rime and No Man's Sky. I could see them being released during the holiday period to bolster the PS4. They might not be traditional "system seller" type games, but will have great word of mouth and at least give those people that get a PS4 for the holidays some really interesting rare experiences.

anothertech

All these threads prior to e3 are pretty much a waste it seems.

Really happy to see some confirmation of Sony Starwars marketing tho.

Swass

I'm going to assume you have never worked in retail. American retail outlets consider October first to be the start of the holiday shopping season. They actually begin hiring holiday seasonal help at the end of August through the end of September. So for future reference when a company is selling a product and they refer to the holiday season they are referring to the last 3 months of the year.

I'm going to assume you have never worked in retail. American retail outlets consider October first to be the start of the holiday shopping season. They actually begin hiring holiday seasonal help at the end of August through the end of September. So for future reference when a company is selling a product and they refer to the holiday season they are referring to the last 3 months of the year.

I do work in retail actually. The IT side of it anyway.

Black Friday starts the holiday shopping season. Thanksgiving starting the actual holiday season.

I'm thinking this is just about what Microsoft stated. That might be how they see things, but in reality October isn't a part of the holiday season.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I do work in retail actually. The IT side of it anyway.

Black Friday starts the holiday shopping season. Thanksgiving starting the actual holiday season.

I'm thinking this is just about what Microsoft stated. That might be how they see things, but in reality October isn't a part of the holiday season.

Nope. Holiday season starts in September/October. Many retailers start their layaway programs early in advance so parents can start paying off on gifts for kids leading up in the main holiday season which kicks off with Black Friday. I know my store (Gamestop) saw success in this program last year and will most likely be running it again.

I seriously can't wait for the big splash on No Mans Sky.

Dying to see more of the game. Maybe they will do a combat showcase this time around. Or just show worlds even closer to the center or show some of the wild and unexpected things you can find out on the planets.

And by god there better be a huge presentation on Rime and WiLD.

I feel The Tomorrow Children is best when actually played. With the style of game it is, very hard to portray how addictive it is via short clips for a conference. Showing the Mech Warrior town guardian at work wouldn't be a bad idea though. That would surely draw attention

Sony will have a strong line up this year im sure. It'll probably look something like this -

September

Until Dawn
Dragon Quest Heroes
MGS V (exclusive marketing + bundles)

October

Ratchet & Clank
Persona 5

November

Star Wars Battlefront (exclusive marketing + bundles)
COD BLOPS 3 (rumoured marketing)
Uncharted Collection (?)

Not to mention PSN games like Soma, The Witness, Rime, No Man's Sky, Shadow of the Beast and The Tomorrow Children.
Potentially an unannounced AAA first party surprise.
They have some of the biggest third party games associated exclusively with the system this Holiday. They will almost certainly price drop. And they have the GOTY contender Bloodborne already released.

Top Bottom