• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

To be fair, we don't know if you can play it first on Xbox One. If Sony has the marketing deal, they may have a beta also.

Well .. https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/587781284388155392 and https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/587992736176807936 ??

Where did you get that impression from? They seem to have Marketing partnership that's what the OP is saying. It's been confirmed for PC/XB1/PS4 for a while now.

to his quote-
EDIT: It's come to my attention that Playstation related official accounts have been tweeting out Star Wars images lately so that makes it very likely that Battlefront partnership is indeed with Playstation.

^that is why i say touted and have that impression from the OP. More in line to question the OP's speculation. Just feels like one promotional image shouldn't declare partnership if EA Access was announced already. Now if there was no mention from the xbox team about battlefront then i'd agree with OP's speculation.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Honestly not sure why you would buy a PlayStation console if you're not interested in games such as Tearaway, No Man's Sky, Persona, The Witness, Ratchet & Clank, Rime, etc. Those may not be big budget games but they're vintage PlayStation.
Because it was the only place to play Bloodborne.

Zukkoyaki

This holiday is going to be heaven for PS4 owners that like Japanese games.

Metal Gear, Persona, Disgaea, Dragon Quest Heroes, and certainly others that I'm forgetting. It's going to rock so hard!

PS4 Exclusive:

Darksiders 2: Definitive Edition (Holiday 2015)
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (October)
Dragon Quest Heroes (2015)
Ether One (2015)
No Man's Sky (2015)
Persona 5 (2015)
Ratchet and Clank (2015)
Witness (2015)

XBO Exclusive:

Forza Motorsport 6 (Q4 2015)
Halo 5: Guardians (October)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Q4 2015)

Multi-platform:

Assassin's Creed: Victory (Q4 2015)
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (Fall 2015)
Dead Island 2 (2015)
Just Cause 3 (Q4 2015)
LEGO Avengers (Fall 2015)
LEGO Dimensions (September)
Mad Max (September)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (September)
Rainbow Six: Siege (2015)
Rock Band 4 (2015)
Star Wars: Battlefront (November)
Tom Clancy's The Division (2015)

I do appreciate what you are trying to say here, but in terms of 2015 exclusives? For system-pushing games released around a holiday season? Yes playstation has more, but for the vast majority of people who buy games and consoles, particularly around winter holidays, not a single one on that list can compare with Halo sales, let alone adding Tomb Raider to that.

Wrynnax

Maybe they'll do for Persona 5 what they did for Final Fantasy 7.
They made sure everyone knew it was something grand and special that was not so well known in general, and the ads worked in me nagging my dad to buy my 10 year old me ff7.
If they can make the same impact for the persona series as they did on ff,they're good.

Stanng243

Well .. https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/587781284388155392 and https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/587992736176807936 ??

to his quote-

^that is why i say touted and have that impression from the OP. More in line to question the OP's speculation. Just feels like one promotional image shouldn't declare partnership if EA Access was announced already. Now if there was no mention from the xbox team about battlefront then i'd agree with OP's speculation.

Yeah, but he would have no idea about Sony/EA marketing deals. He's saying you can play it first with EA access. If Sony has a beta as part of the Marketing deal, then he's dead wrong.

D7n

“What does the future hold for Duff? Let’s just say we’ve got a few ideas up our sleeve.” – Brewery Tour Guide
“Like what?” – Homer Simpson
“Um, I’d rather not get into it right now.” – Brewery Tour Guide
“Why not?” – Homer Simpson
“Alright, we don’t have any ideas for the future. We got nothing. Happy?” – Brewery Tour Guide
“No.” – Homer Simpson

At this point its just extremely tiring.
its all just an endless cycle.

>"Hey sony dont have games for '_____'"
> list of games appear
> "okay but none of those exclusives are mainstream/popular/ will sell 4million+"
> talk devolves into marketing and how ps4 has and can sell without exclusives due to 3rd party titles
> "why are we talking about co marketing and 3rd party titles lol? Hey do you guys know sony dont ha-"
/

Ugh its really tasteless now.

yazanov

Banned
Did we have this same thread for Microsoft when they have little to nothing for the first 10 months of 2015?

Apparently no one is concerned about the distant second place console and people are only concerned about the distant 1st place market leader

Shabad

Well let's be honest, ever since Uncharted 4 was delayed this topic of what Sony has for the holiday season has spread like wildfire. When folks ask that question, what they're really saying is "What does Sony have in their first-party roster than can compete with their main competitor Microsoft?" The third-party software for both the PS4 and Xbone will be there in droves, so the main thing that separates both systems and defines them is their exclusive content. As of now, exclusive wise - and this is obviously subject to change with E3 approaching - it's looking like Ratchet & Clank is Sony's big holiday season title. And while that game will probably (hopefully!) be good, it hasn't got nearly the same commercial prospects that a juggernaut franchise like Halo does. It's not really about catering to the same audiences but rather, what exclusive does Sony have that'll convince your average gamer out there to splash out on a PS4 rather than a Xbox One? Uncharted 4 used to be the answer to that question, but now that's not happening.

Eh, it's probably all irrelevant anyway. Sony will end up selling more systems this fall through a partnership with a third party and its game than they will through a first-party effort. Unless they release Gran Turismo 7 or something.

If the question people are asking is "What is bigger than the biggest First Party game ever ?" it is pretty stupid. PS4 has no games if you only consider exclusive western AAA games that have stronger popular appeal than the most popular AAA western game - that happen to be on Xbox.

Truth is, Sony simply doesn't have something that can match or exceed Halo. They probably never had and never will. People are saying that Sony doesn't have a single game that can face Halo in the charts. That much is true , but fortunately for Sony, and unfortunately for Microsoft, this is much bigger than a duel of chartz champions !

And if you add up all the PS4 exclusives planned for the rest of the year, I think the console will have a nice and cosy holiday ;-)

DryvBy

I do appreciate what you are trying to say here, but in terms of 2015 exclusives? For system-pushing games released around a holiday season? Yes playstation has more, but for the vast majority of people who buy games and consoles, particularly around winter holidays, not a single one on that list can compare with Halo sales, let alone adding Tomb Raider to that.

Going from the latest NPD figures for the past several months, let Microsoft can use the holiday releases.

Plus, we don't know what's in store.

Unconditional Hype and the biggest install base since the Wii.

They´ll be fine.

I wouldn't call it unconditional. PS4 launched cheaper than XBO, had no anti-consumer stuff, and many feel they have the best first party stable. Personally Ratchet is one of my favorite franchises and couldn't care less about Uncharted to this holiday is looking sweet to me. Rime, the Witness, and No Mans Sky also look really good are are strong possibilities for 2015.

Somnia

I agree.

But keep in mind Ratchet & Clank is a bigger franchise than Uncharted. =)

Between Wii U, XB1, PS4, Ratchet & Clank is probably going to be biggest first-party for the whole year of 2015*.

*Besides Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Ummmmmm I don't even know how to respond to this. If you seriously think Ratchet and Clank will outsell Halo 5 or Rise... I just, wow.

EatMyFace

Banned
I agree.

But keep in mind Ratchet & Clank is a bigger franchise than Uncharted. =)

Between Wii U, XB1, PS4, Ratchet & Clank is probably going to be biggest first-party for the whole year of 2015*.

*Besides Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider.
Ratchet and Clank s not bigger than Uncharted. Not even close.

Facundo_Lopez

Neo Member
LOL if this is thread turned into a list wars, you might as well consider that sony released two big games already.

Bloodborne
The Order:1886

While Xbox One has ZERO.

So, Xbox users are playing 2014 games while PS4 users are playing one of the best games of the year and a visual showcase.

What you do not understand is that Sony does not need anything on holidays right now. They're outpacing AND outselling the competition without much of an effort.

And anyways, E3 will come, and even more games will appear.

kpaadet

> list of games appear
> "okay but none of those exclusives are mainstream/popular/ will sell 4million+"
> talk devolves into marketing and how ps4 has and can sell without exclusives due to 3rd party titles
> "why are we talking about co marketing and 3rd party titles lol? Hey do you guys know sony dont ha-"
/

It's sad because it's true.

Somnia

LOL if this is thread turned into a list wars, you might as well consider that sony released two big games already.

Bloodborne
The Order:1886

While Xbox One has ZERO.

So, Xbox users are playing 2014 games while PS4 users are playing one of the best games of the year and a visual showcase.

What you do not understand is that Sony does not need anything on holidays right now. They're outpacing AND outselling the competition without much of an effort.

And anyways, E3 will come, and even more games will appear.

Actually on XB1 I'm playing Goat Simulator, We Are Doomed, Neverwinter, Battlefield, Mortal Kombat and soon to be State of Decay. I wouldn't say I'm playing nothing. Yes they don't have any major AAA exclusives, but they do have smaller indie style games that have been a lot of fun. You can't discount all of the indie games on XB1 also if you are going to count them on PS4.

(this isn't directed at you exactly, just everyone who makes "lists" and puts all the indie games for PS4 but ignore all of the XB1 indie games)

Circinus

> list of games appear
/

This is true. :l

Hugstable

Banned
I felt like we've had multiple of these threads already. I know I certainly remember this one from a month ago.

So I guess I'll just update the list I made then ...

PS4 Exclusive:

Darksiders 2: Definitive Edition (Holiday 2015)
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (October)
Dragon Quest Heroes (2015)
Ether One (2015)
No Man's Sky (2015)
Persona 5 (2015)
Ratchet and Clank (2015)
Witness (2015)

XBO Exclusive:

Forza Motorsport 6 (Q4 2015)
Halo 5: Guardians (October)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Q4 2015)

Multi-platform:

Assassin's Creed: Victory (Q4 2015)
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (Fall 2015)
Dead Island 2 (2015)
Just Cause 3 (Q4 2015)
LEGO Avengers (Fall 2015)
LEGO Dimensions (September)
Mad Max (September)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (September)
Rainbow Six: Siege (2015)
Rock Band 4 (2015)
Star Wars: Battlefront (November)
Tom Clancy's The Division (2015)

There's also typically 1-2 big games per system announced at E3 and then released during the holiday season of the same year. So I expect a few wildcards to show up in June.

I know I'm gonna end up in an avatar bet sooner or later over whether Persona 5 is or is not releasing this year, because everyone keeps listing it and I've seen like nothing that points to it actually happening in the west this year. If there is something I'm missing I would love to see it so I can get excited and prepared for it as well.

So the ps4 had no gamez argument is back? Ok.

Are you talking about what Verendus said? It's usually a joke rofl. You should know PS4 got gaaaaame

I went from late last year telling myself my PS4 was gonna be an exclusive machine, to this year putting a 2TB HDD in my PS4 (I've filled up 1.1 TB so far). Damn you Sony and your sales!

Lackluster selling copies of Ratchet and Clank and Tearaway that simultaneously make me happy with their whimsy and sad that they don't pull the numbers that cartoony platformers used to...

I'm confident Ratchet and Clank is gonna kill it this year as long it's a great game.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
What does Sony have for the Holidays?
PS4. Seems to be all they've needed this gen.

and lucky for them, there appears to be a ton of games coming out on it this holiday as well. Dodged that bullet. Phew.

I know I'm gonna end up in an avatar bet sooner or later over whether Persona 5 is or is not releasing this year, because everyone keeps listing it and I've seen like nothing that points to it actually happening in the west this year. If there is something I'm missing I would love to see it so I can get excited and prepared for it as well.

Try this.

yazanov

Banned
Who cares about preseason?

You're talking from Microsoft's point of view or as an Xbone owner? Because either way, its bad.

From the company's point of view it is bad because losing ground only to gain some in the holiday season by drastically taking a hit financially and devaluing your brand by undercutting your competition in price is not sustainable and is not a healthy way to doing business.

And from the consumer's point of view it sucks because they get to play the AAA exclusive games only 2 months out of the whole year.

Either way you slice it is a lose lose situation for both party.

Hugstable

Banned

tumblr_lqrl3xemDw1qb0q9io1_400.gif

On Demand

Banned
So last holiday:

Sony had it's lead cut from ~1000K to ~500K over November/December (US numbers obviously).

This was achieved by its main competitor retailing at anything up to an effective $175 value discount (price cut + store vouchers), whereas Sony didn't drop unit price, they bundled software.

March NPD has - according to a creamy sweet gentleman - seen PS4 outsell the combined total of WiiU and Xbone. The gap at February was up to ~680K, so it could now be up to anything between 700-800K.

In Q1CY, and without a price drop.

TL:DR - in 3 months of what isn't a 'peak sales' period, PS4 has made back up to 60% of the market lead it lost in 2 months over the peak sale holiday period against an aggressively discounting competitor. There are another 6 months of 'preseason' including the release of Batman and MGSV which PS4 is lead platform for co-marketing on.

Yup, no having any pre-E3 announced big exclusives and possible co-marketing/lead platform deal with one of the biggest IPs around is going to lead to a bumpy rest of the year for Sony.

Everyone loves to ignore this fact.

Mendax

Everyone loves to ignore this fact.

everyone also loves to ignore the fact that in today's globalized market not a single multinational corporation will actually care about "winning" only a small segment of said market for 1 month in a year.

what are we even doing.

small44

The threas is about sales so yes indies don't count and it's true PS4 don't have big exclusives in Holiday.
People over-estimate exclusive effect on sales,no exclusive game boosted a console as Destiny,Sony can do a price cut and a big 3rd party deal to counter Halo 5 and even if XB1 win the holiday Ps4 will still have the lead

Top Bottom