• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Does Sony Have For The Holidays?

Man

$299
Better versions of all third party games.
Ratchet & Clank + some JRPGS.
Star Wars & MGS5 marketing exclusive.

They will do fine.

KoopaTheCasual

Why do people keep echoing this $299 idea?

Pure speculation, or has anyone hinted such a steep price drop? I think the most you're gonna see is a $349 base unit this holiday.

Zophar

Even without a price drop, Star Wars marketing is going to be massive, and I think people are really underestimating the draw. The new movie is gonna hit the world like a tidal wave, and Sony will be there riding the waves.

SSReborn

Why do people keep echoing this $299 idea?

Pure speculation, or has anyone hinted such a steep price drop? I think the most you're gonna see is a $349 base unit this holiday.
They don't really need to drop the price either way so I'm not sure where this assumption comes from, it can happen, but it's not like it's a shoe-in.
I honestly think they are more interested in maximizing profits than "beating" MS.

Actually on XB1 I'm playing Goat Simulator, We Are Doomed, Neverwinter, Battlefield, Mortal Kombat and soon to be State of Decay. I wouldn't say I'm playing nothing. Yes they don't have any major AAA exclusives, but they do have smaller indie style games that have been a lot of fun. You can't discount all of the indie games on XB1 also if you are going to count them on PS4.

(this isn't directed at you exactly, just everyone who makes "lists" and puts all the indie games for PS4 but ignore all of the XB1 indie games)

No Ori and the Blind Forest? :(

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Actually on XB1 I'm playing Goat Simulator, We Are Doomed, Neverwinter, Battlefield, Mortal Kombat and soon to be State of Decay. I wouldn't say I'm playing nothing. Yes they don't have any major AAA exclusives, but they do have smaller indie style games that have been a lot of fun. You can't discount all of the indie games on XB1 also if you are going to count them on PS4.

(this isn't directed at you exactly, just everyone who makes "lists" and puts all the indie games for PS4 but ignore all of the XB1 indie games)

Then this whole thread is a waste since PS4 will have some great indies for the holidays, I am sure.

Also, fight lists with lists!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
From a business perspective, and based on what we know so far and how last Christmas' marketing played out: MS seems to have another strong holiday plan, much stronger than Sony's, IMO. This will mark the third Christmas for PS4, and I will at a loss for words if they decide to settle for the same plan they had last year. It was pretty lackluster, tbh.

Does anyone feel they're sitting too comfortably these days? They're obviously not as hungry as the second place holder.

Zophar

From a business perspective, and based on what we know so far and how last Christmas' marketing played out: MS seems to have another strong holiday plan, much stronger than Sony's, IMO. This will mark the third Christmas for PS4, and I will at a loss for words if they decide to settle for the same plan they had last year. It was pretty lackluster, tbh.

Does anyone feel they're sitting too comfortably these days? They're obviously not as hungry as the second place holder.

Not at all, given that the PS4 has been considerably more competitive than the XB1 since its release.

autoduelist

They don't really need to drop the price either way so I'm not sure where this assumption comes from, it can happen, but it's not like it's a shoe-in.
I honestly think they are more interested in maximizing profits than "beating" MS.

It's a multinational corporation. Of course they're more interested in maximizing profits. They only care about beating MS in so much as not doing potentially eats into their profits.

Jigorath

Banned

We don't know either of their holiday plans.

$299
Better versions of all third party games.
Ratchet & Clank + some JRPGS.
Star Wars & MGS5 marketing exclusive.

They will do fine.

Is this all people expect as long as they keep selling hardware? I do like Sony's strategy to spread out games more than Microsoft and I think this actually benefits then more by allowing 3rd party titles to have more breathing room during such a busy time.

I know Tomb Raider is coming to PS4,but we don't know when. Could be 6 months later or even a year.

That hasn't been confirmed and considering that EA/MS partnership, I would assume this one would go to Microsoft, no?

The official website makes no mention of either.

Why do people keep saying TR is coming to PS4? I know MS f'd up the wording and all that but Phil Spencer compared the deal to the Ryse and Dead Rising deals. Both games releases on PC and not PS4.

We should really make a "What does MS have for the first 9 months of the year" thread

Sony wins Marketing hands down!
Microsoft...all that money and you pick the less meaningful IP.

That's one of the things blowing my mind. How is MS letting so many huge gets slip.

Duxxy3

Games wise... probably little to nothing for AAA exclusives.

The PS4 will probably lose November and December again (in the states). Microsoft is ruthless in those last two months and they have a great lineup.

But Sony won't care. It won't be enough to close the gap and they'll be making a huge profit once again. Unless they drop to $299 and then forget everything I just said.

watership

Sony wins Marketing hands down!
Microsoft...all that money and you pick the less meaningful IP.

I wonder how this sort of selection works. Like they say "Star Wars Battlefront is coming, submit your bids." And MS and Sony fall over each other to get the exclusive marketing.

I could see them doing NFS 2015 if GT7 isn't going to be ready.

I don't think NFS would make too big a difference, anyway Harker was once again right! Sony don't need fuck all from their first party this year, they will ride the advertising train for Battlefront hard. Probably bundles and the lot as well, on Sonys side a price drop could happen.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That's one of the things blowing my mind. How is MS letting so many huge gets slip.

MS is doing a bang up job at acquiring the marketing rights to the games that are very US centric though (besides Witcher 3).

Plus you do not know if these companies are just going with Sony because they have a 2:1 ratio WW, so that marketing will get the game into more hands.

Where has it been said that it is? Or is this just a pipe dream? Isnt MS co-publishing?
I wouldn't doubt Kagari on this...haha

Top Bottom