• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Dazraell

Gold Member
I've been bouncing between Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden and Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered

Played a few hours of Banishers and so far it feels solid. I like it. General presentation and combat reminds me a lot of God of War 2018, while story feels like one of the Witcher side quests expanded to the main game. Main characters are very compelling. Althea's predicament raises the stakes and makes this story quite interesting. It's also neat that each of the hauntings seems to be its own little story with various twists, kinda like how Witcher handled monster contracts

As for Rogue, it's basically what would happen if ACIII and Black Flag were combined into one game. North Atlantic map is great, its entire theme feels like a nice change of pace after West Indies from Black Flag and Freedom Cry. Not a fan of them dumping so many collectibles as they feel kinda boring and all over the place, although locations where they're scattered seems to be more fun to explore than empty islands from Black Flag

Gandih42

Inching closer to the end of FF7 Rebirth. I'm honestly a pretty big fan of the minigames and have been investing in all the side content before advancing the main story, so its taking me a while.

To not get too stuck on the same game for months I recently bought 'Inkulinati' on sale. I'd describe it as a quite fun rogue-like 2D tactics game, with an absolutely inspired art style and premise. Reimagining the margins of medieval books as a battleground for the scribes of the time. The game can feel a bit repetitive, but on higher difficulties the battles can be really satisfying. And as you unlock more of the roster, there seem to be a lot of build options. My latest run consisting how a mix of pigeons that can buff each other by cooing, combined with turning enemies 'heretical' so they take extra damage from my own 'annointed' beasts. I think my next run on max difficulty will be a full demon build with damagine fire-zones and instakill traps.

But first I need to get back to FF7 for a bit and see where the current chapter is going to go.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
About to leave Junon in FF7 Rebirth. I loved this area of the game. The massive scale of Junons cannon is mighty impressive and it was cool to get to the above section of the town. I'm floored that Square not only managed to cram everything from the original into this game, but also expand on the world, lore and characters. I have done everything so far, the side quests, the mini games, queens blood, chadleys combat and I just want more. I can't wait to see what lies beyond Junon. Gonna be a wild trip.

I also finished Act 1 in Diablo 2 Resurrected. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls was my first Diablo and I loved it. Going back to the second one is a bit rough, I miss the dodge roll, but the game is still fun and it has that addictive gameplay loop of just slaying monsters left and right. It's a perfect fit for the Switch. Just pick it up and go kill some monsters and level up and then do something else.

I'm near the end of Assassin's Creed (the first Xbox 360 game). I can't praise Microsoft enough for their Xbox One backwards compatibility. It made games that were borderline unplayable on original hardware due to screen tearing and low frame rate into solid 30/60fps vsync games natively up-scaled to 4K.

Also playing Forza Horizon (again, the first game), and Blue Dragon.

I finally unlocked the DeLorean in Forza Horizon 5!
UOSFUES.jpeg

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’ve had to park Pokémon Platinum.

Fantastic game but my n3DS has TN panels and historically TN displays are a migraine trigger for me. Playing it triggered a migraine for the first time in over 3 years the other day when I was on it, so I’m leaving it.

I’m having a chill period from single player games, going to buy Golf with your Friends tomorrow for some online fun as it’s £4 in the eShop sale.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Pocky and Rocky Reshrined. Great blast from the past. I used play this as a kid in the arcades, and then later at a friend who had this on SNES. I never managed to beat it though, it was too damn difficult for me, but now as an adult I fared better. Reshrined is a bit easier due to it saving between stages but it still pose a challenge. I died a lot trying to clear the game but it was manageable in the end. Sprite work is fantastic. Very colorful and the enemies and bosses are crazy detailed with lots of love poured into the animations. It's such a fun game with the perfect pick up and play factor. Looks great on Switch OLED too.

Fbh

Playing through Hi Fi Rush.
Really enjoying it so far, the rhythm based combat is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it, it's one of those games with a combat system that is fun to master and trying to get the most out of it, a game that has me itching to replay it and go back to the earlier missions with my skills from the end of the game (reminds of the era when games could give you a lot of hours through good replay value instead of bloat).

Also the characters are charming and the humor is on point. Not to shit on another dev but I feel this is the style of writing that Insomniac wants but can't quite pull off in their games like Ratchet and Sunset Overdrive.

Field

Just finished Kingdom Come Deliverence. Took just over 100 hours. Did most of the side quests and explored almost all the map so you could easily finish it much faster. Great unique game with beautiful world that felt handcrafted and likeable characters.

Now playing Tormented Souls which is a lot like a budget classic Resident Evil with horrible voice acting and fun mansion full of puzzles to explore. And also Separate Ways. Enjoying both.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Days Gone on PS5

I first started it when it launched, right near my second daughter’s birth. I have vivid memories of rocking her to sleep while playing this game.

I bounced off quick for some reason. First (second) impression of it is that it’s pretty stupid, in not a bad way. Bike controls are wonky.

Finished TTYD! Might go back to finish a few more sidequests (pit of 100 trials, maybe the trouble center). It's an awkward amount of time, one week until Shadow of the Erdtree. Maybe Dredge, or a couple bite sized one-shots like Abzu.

Currently playing a Chinese wuxia JRPG called Wandering Sword, it uses the same engine as Octopath Traveler, but with a wuxia setting and story.
It has an interesting rpg structure as the game has no character levels, you gain martial points through quests and fights, and those point can be used to level up attack skills, movement skills or buff skills. Leveling up buff skills also gives you power points which you can they use in a tree to boost your attributes and other stats.

The story is actually pretty good, and there is an auto-fight button which allows one to avoid the tedium of the grind against weaker enemies. Overall I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Roberts

It is a good game, but the starting Yellow Heaven Arc is enough to make anyone want to quit. It is the most tedious and looks the worst in the whole game. I have no idea why it is even there. Once you pass it and get to the village it gets a lot better.
I believe you. I actually got past the village and quit after beating the boss there. It is just that my backlog is so damn huge, I think I automatically become a bit more harsher to games that don't do it for me right out of the gate. Maybe some other time. And thanks again for helping me out with Lies of P. Not sure I would have done it without your encouragement and hints.

On the related note, I started playing Jedi Survivor, got to the cantina and Im really digging the game. I think it does improve on the first game, somewhat, mostly because it is not as dependent on Souls mechanics anymore. The level design feels more natural and less static and in the end the game just feels more fun to play (and I really liked Fallen Order)

Humdinger

Gold Member
Finished Bramble: The Mountain King. I liked it. Swedish folk tale. Beautiful and gruesome environments. Tone is a mix of innocence and mild horror. Levels are linear, most of the action involves platforming. Unique. 8/10.

Started The Quarry. I may quit the game based on the dialog alone. I can't take it. All the characters speak with the same sardonic, "witty" tone. It annoys me. Can no one be sincere or serious anymore? Does everyone have to constantly be posing? I'm already looking forward to sawing several characters in half.

edit: nm, the game got better. I'm 3 or 4 hours in now, and the action is picking up. It's extremely easy, though - easier than Until Dawn. Press O and move left stick is about as complicated as it gets, and the time window is very generous. This is very much an interactive movie.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
XIII Remake (with the latest patches)

I never played the original game, but if the game structure is still 1 : 1, this is pretty impressive or a 2003 PS2 game. Yes, I know Half Life 2 comes out shortly after this, but this is something designed around PS2. Not bad.

No fucking idea why david duchovny is in this, he adds literally nothing to it, and has had maybe 6 speaking lines in the 2~ hours I've played so far.

Dr. Suchong

Gave up on KCD today.
I always feel frustrated to pass a game by, like I've let myself down somehow.
But it's just far too clunky and I wasn't enjoying it.
Eventually it was becoming a chore.
Lock picking is close to impossible and combat is sluggish.
There's no denying Warhorses passion for the incredible historical depth, but the janky mechanics need some work.

Fredrik

Gears 4, on chpt 3 now. I still dont see where this game gets terrible.

Maybe in chpts 4 and 5.
The droids are boring compared to locusts and I don’t remember when the mech segment happened but I didn’t like it, doing tower defense preparing before fights was odd too.
Was still a 8/10. There are no bad Gears games.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The droids are boring compared to locusts and I don’t remember when the mech segment happened but I didn’t like it, doing tower defense preparing before fights was odd too.
Was still a 8/10. There are no bad Gears games.
I like the robots. Its definitely different, reminds me of Cocoon in FFXIII almost. The defense sections were in Gears 3 also with turrets. Almost identical in that respect. I just played them all so I have that advantage at least.

Fredrik

Mostly playing Elden Ring, I need to have a build for the expansion.
Just bonked Rennala, always a bit of a struggle for me, part 1 is too easy but in part 2 she has some annoying inst kill attacks.
Time to start Ranni’s questline.

Punished Miku

Really going to be challenging to not give Gears 4 my top pick for the series, so far. In some ways part 1 is pretty hard to top. 2 has some great story and setpiece moments. 3 has one of the best siege battles ever and great encounter design.

Some of these new guns are a lot of fun. Overkill, Enforcer, Buzzkill, Dropshot. Love the melee grab over cover. Graphics are varied and interesting. Tons of different environments. Story is getting interesting. Art design is running laps around the previous entries, and they always looked good. Chapter 3 is probably one of the best chapters in all the games. It just keeps going. Finally showing some moments of solid level / encounter design too. They do spam the juvees a bit much at times though.

Last edited:

Hrk69

I've been playing Diablo 4 the last couple of days

It gets real boring and repetitive after a while, plus the story / side-quests aren't that special. I might drop it soon

bender

What time is it?
Farming achievements for Microsoft Rewards in Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I've long contended this is Hazdelight's best game. I haven't played it since it initially released and I probably need to back off of that thought. It's better than A Way Out but not as good as It Takes Two. I do love the section where you are traveling down a river and dismembering the corpses of fallen warrior giants to make passage.

Punished Miku

Farming achievements for Microsoft Rewards in Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I've long contended this is Hazdelight's best game. I haven't played it since it initially released and I probably need to back off of that thought. It's better than A Way Out but not as good as It Takes Two. I do love the section where you are traveling down a river and dismembering the corpses of fallen warrior giants to make passage.
I never played this. Is it single player? The remake is on sale for $11 currently.

Punished Miku

Yep. The gimmick is that each brother is mapped to an analog stick and L2/R2 so you control them both at once. It's on Game Pass if you have that.
I thought it might be like that. Just in case you didnt know, Bayonetta and the Lost Demon is like that. Phenomenal game.

I may have to try this old Brothers one. The screenshots for the remake look pretty good though.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Gears 4, on chpt 3 now. I still dont see where this game gets terrible.

Maybe in chpts 4 and 5.
I really wish they would bring Gears of War Ultimate Edition to Steam.
I'm in the mood for some Gears after watching the trailer for E-Day.
I'm assuming they haven't done it because a collection of the original trilogy is coming at some point but come on MS...

amigastar

I'm level 47 (rogue) I think but I'm not sure about the gear level

I just try to equip anything that is an upgrade
Ok, from what i've heard the game becomes interesting at about lvl 55-60
I finished the campaign at launch and i'm at lvl 40 in season 4. But i haven't played it since some time, i might return though.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Been addicted to Getsufumaden the last couple of days. It's a rougelike much like Dead Cells (devs have basically copied it straight up, lol) but with an amazing art style, kick ass music, tight gameplay that never gets old and some terrific boss fights. Seriously, the graphics are so beautiful. It looks like Okami but more deranged and dark, depicting hell and other scary locations. The story and lore is steeped in japanese culture and folklore, so the enemies are variants of Oni and other scary creatures. Really good enemy design with great animations. I think I like this game better than Dead Cells, it's on that level of quality. I can't believe Konami of all companies is behind this. Takes me back to their glory days of the 90s.

Last edited:

Aion002

After slowly finishing my goty FFVII Rebirth after 100 plus hours this week, I am trying to finish:

Stellar Blade and Dredge on the PS5.

SB is basically a Nier meets Sekiro game, great graphics, excellent combat and cool exploration, I am enjoying it a lot so far.

Dredge is available on PS Plus and is quite fun, totally worth checking it out:

Lords of The Fallen on the Series S.

Cool game that I started with zero expectations (the original one is horrible). I will definitely buy it when it leaves gamepass.

bender

What time is it?
Took down Hooktail in Thousand Year Door. The game just oozes charm and I've audibly laughed more than a few times. I've also finally got around to using my Analogue Pocket and have been replaying WarioWare Twisted. It quickly and frequently reminds me of why this is my favorite Nintendo franchise. It's fun distilled to its' most simple form and you can feel the singular vision present in each microgame.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just finished Outer Wilds. My god. This is one of the most brilliantly written and conceived of games I've ever played. My mind is blown, bent and twisted.

If any of you enjoy time travel shenanigans and figuring out how to make sense of stuff like that, play this game right now. It's a bit of a slow burn at the start when you have no idea what you're doing or why you're doing it or what's going on at all (although it's still fun just exploring the solar system), but once the pieces start coming together, holy shit.

It's also brilliant because the way you progress through this game is purely by acquiring knowledge. You don't find a key that unlocks a door or gain an ability that lets you go new places, you simply LEARN and that lets you access new locations and do new things because you now understand how to.

Unbelievable experience, and I'm just a little sad I can never have it again. There's DLC though, gonna play that as well for sure.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Played the first two stages in Lamplighter's League last night. It's actually really impressive if you're into that genre. I don't really play much X-Com but I'm a bit familiar with how it all works.

The main thing that stood out here is how little barriers are really in your way. You seamlessly move between real time or turn based so it keeps the pace up a lot more than other games in this genre, in a really satisfying way. I like the characters and the setting so far. I think the main mission / quest giver is Sam Fisher (Michael Ironside).

I think most people said the game was great, but plagued with some really brutal bugs that could erase your saves. Hoping those got patched because I want to keep going.

ReyBrujo

Wizardry for Switch. I wore a ring which was cursed by mistake and now need to get 250k gold to identify it, but every time I save like 5k or 7k I need to spend that reviving a dead party member or restoring one or two levels drained by the wights. I missed this feeling of knowing you are messing it up trying to go deeper just because you don't want to use the Inn when your priest and mage still got magic points to spend...

OverHeat

« generous god »
Took down Hooktail in Thousand Year Door. The game just oozes charm and I've audibly laughed more than a few times. I've also finally got around to using my Analogue Pocket and have been replaying WarioWare Twisted. It quickly and frequently reminds me of why this is my favorite Nintendo franchise. It's fun distilled to its' most simple form and you can feel the singular vision present in each microgame.
You got no taste…peasant

Field

Playing Thymesia. Has pretty good combat but there is only one main weapon and it’s getting bit repetitive for me. I have read it’s pretty short so I will see it through. Not loving the art style but alright for a budget 3rd person souls like game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom