• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Looks cool, reminds me of the Shiren The Wanderer games.
Interesting to see that game get brought up again. I would like to own it someday. It’s interesting to see rogue dungeon crawlers from years ago. I found another one that’s very similar to Rogue Hearts Dungeon and that is Dungeon of Windaria on NDS. Funny to see these never leave Japan as the genre keeps getting new entries.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Starting up Gears 4. So far its pretty interesting. Really feels like a radical shift in tone. The colors, the setting. Graphics look extremely good, still. I'm guessing people hated this for being different but thats a plus so far for me. The war ended. Makes sense to carry the story forward in a new era. Well we'll see how it goes. Still in Chapter 1.

The graphics and art design are really good. Just this intro area with the robots, the look of the metal and sparks when shot. This is a radical shift for the series in a cool way so far.

SRTtoZ

A lot of EVE Online for my MMO pleasure but then I recently beat HellBlade 2 which was a 5/10 for me and I was about to start on Alan Wake 2 but as soon as I did I saw references for Control so I went back to finish my Control playthrough with the cheats on so I can finish it super fast and do the AW DLC. Then ill hop back to AW2 and beat that with the new DLC that just dropped. My backlog is so big that I have so much more shit to beat beyond that like Ragnarok, Horizon 2 etc.

Playing the Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

I'm a third of the way theough the first game. I'm not enjoying it too much but I will persevere. I get lost easily :x

bender

What time is it?
Had a nice two week break taking care of some family issues out of town. Trying to catchup on my gaming "chores" with SF6 and GT6. Still replaying Elden Ring with a buddy. The game is just too big.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
In the light of upcoming Dragon Age 4, I went back visiting Inquisition.

I guess you could call it the last good piece from OG Bioware, as retrospectively scrutinizing it, DA:I still has many of the good old stuff from Bioware.

The characters writings, the banters between team members, the companion story arcs, the ample branches and consequences, all feel so refreshing in 2024 as we barely got this type of "true RPGs" any more.

It breaks my heart knowing that DA 4 is on the trajectory to a huge debacle. I wish it could prove me wrong.

t3vmM79.jpeg

Jaybe

Gold Member
Not playing this weekend, but I’m visiting Newcastle, so am catching this Final Fantasy Live performance tonight

uompdtR.jpeg

reektann

So, I played the Prince of Persia the Lost Crown demo a few months back, I wasnt really into the aesthetic and saw the price was a bit heavy so I moved on as I was used to paying 20-30 for similar looking indie style platformers.

A work colleague kept going on about how great it is so they loaned me their Switch copy. I ended up playing about 2-3 hours, it seemed cool but I wasnt massively into the aesthetic still or the story, but man, the exploration and the way it handles dishing powers out is masterful. I started to find the Switch a bit cramped and outputting it to my TV it sort of looked a bit dogshit. I really wanted it on Xbox Series X instead as I do love the controller comfort, but I didn't want to RE play those hours. I then noticed that it has cross save, so I uploaded my Switch save, purchased it for the Xbox Series X (its £26.99 at the moment which is the right price in my opinion!) and then downloaded the save from Ubisoft onto the Series X. Worked an absolute treat and now im playing it at 120hz and it just feels even better. They also made a sale by being smart and not having dumb policies locking progress to specific platforms.

I would go so far as to say that I think it is really close to the quality and feel of Hollowknight, which I absolutely loved. It has some of the best quality of life features all wrapped in so you never feel lost or frustrated, if you fail on a boss you can choose to start at a save point or just from the beginning of the boss again, so no running back feeling annoyed. The character movement feels pitch perfect and the dash and later abilities just allow you to zoom across the huge maps, mopping up all the chests and other things you couldn't reach earlier. The combat has a really methodical feel and I am sure people must have come up with insane stun lock style combos by now as it is totally geared toward that, but if you aren't a huge combat fan you can happily get away with just mashing, but it does feel great to juggle enemies up in the air and such. There is also a really good little training section that teaches you some simple but effective combos that you can use throughout the entire game.

I am about 14 hours in now and I am absolutely loving it, I would be more than happy if there were 20 more hours as it just feels absolutely wonderful to play.

Please do check it out, and give it 2-4 hours to get some abilities which allow you to really go into a nice flow state. I scan read all the dialogue and some of the items as I am not really here for the lore/story but there IS one if you want it.

It's easily one of the best "metroidvania" style games out there and I do hope they get to make another one.

P.S you can smash barrels and currency comes out of them. I love being able to smash things as I go, just feels great.

hinch7

Just finished Ghost of Tsushima. Brilliant game. The ending was slightly anticlimatic but overall really enjoyed the journey. Despite some of its flaws; the repetitive tasks, lack of enemy types and rudimentary forced stealth missions. There are really great side stories within, as is the main story. The side characters too are likable, interesting and flawed in their own way as is the case with its MC. With decently evil and powerful villian to work towards beating. Mix that in with some dramatic old Samurai film goodness and we have an Assassin/Shinobi game that I've been wanting to play for some time.

Other good stuff is the art, which is serious beautiful throughout. The opening scene, with Jin riding through the tall grass setting the stage for the rest of the game. And ofc great fun being a force of nature as an unstoppable Samurai/Shinobi of Tsushima. Really looking forward to the sequel.

Not sure what I'll move onto next. Might try and get back into Alan Wake 2, right before Elden Ring DLC.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gear 4 is crazy. Overkill is one of the best shotguns Ive used. Hammberburst feels better than ever. The new robot enemies are pretty cool. Pulling enemies over cover for a melee kill is a nice, small addition. Looks art style wise like a mix of inFamous SS and FFXIII. Reminder #10,000 to never listen to mainstream opinions on games. Im early but this easily seems like one of the best in the series. Graphics are far past 0-3.

Last edited:

engstra

Finished Dredge. Cool game although playing Dave the Diver and then this back to back gave me a bit of fatigue even though they are quite different. Dave the Diver is the better game even though it had a bit too much content for its own good.
Don't think the atmosphere was that great in Dredge tbh, it's never like I felt and dread or danger from being out on the boat at night etc. Still worth a play though even if catching all the crab abberations turned into a real grind.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Started into Bramble: The Mountain King a couple of days ago. I like it a lot so far. For those who don't know, the game has a Swedish developer and is based on old Norwegian folktales. The tone is a mix of darkness and innocence. Gameplay is relatively easy but can be a little challenging at times. Environments can be quite beautiful at times. There is a warning at the start about grim themes (e.g., murder, suicide), and the imagery can get pretty gruesome sometimes - although it's counterbalanced by cheerful, upbeat moments. It's a unique game. A lot of care went into it.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I got The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, both physical for Switch. I never played either. And now I can't decide which one I want to start when the latest episode of Star Wars wraps tonight.

edit: a word

Last edited:
I got The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, both physical for Switch. I never played either. And now I can't decide which one I want to start when the latest episode of Star Wars wraps tonight.

I really can't wait for Luigi Mansion 2 HD Remaster. I might get the physical

I only played the 3rd game and loved it.

Mobilemofo

Started Hogwarts Legacy after doing a potter-A-thon. I really like it this far. I was recommended for Slytherin, but I said fuck that, and took my ass to griffin. It's a weird game graphically. It doesn't look old, but neither does it look modern. Somewhere in between.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Started Hogwarts Legacy after doing a potter-A-thon. I really like it this far. I was recommended for Slytherin, but I said fuck that, and took my ass to griffin. It's a weird game graphically. It doesn't look old, but neither does it look modern. Somewhere in between.

Great game.

On the graphics: I thought the interiors were gorgeous and imaginative, as were the towns and ruins. But yea, the general open world does feel a tad underbaked. But I like how somber it is as one cruises around it on their broom as night falls.

Mobilemofo

Great game.

On the graphics: I thought the interiors were gorgeous and imaginative, as were the towns and ruins. But yea, the general open world does feel a tad underbaked. But I like how somber it is as one cruises around it on their broom as night falls.
Mooching about on the broom will be cool. Look forward to that. The interior of hogwarts is lovely. So many hidden bits within. The one town I've been. To so far is beautiful. It reminded me of the harry potter experience in Florida. 😅 I saw the game on sale after I'd finished the potter films, and then also saw that a photo mode had been released. That tipped it for me. I love photo mode in games.

I started Peggle 2 (EA Play, oh goodie another sub service). There is a lot happening on that screen compared to the older ones, oh boy. I'm a little dizzy.

Last edited:
Zelda Link's Awakening (Switch)

Great and fun classic Zelda. The performance however is baffling and ridiculous. It constantly chugs and slows down. I'd easily drop at least a full point for that.

Crayon

I finished stellar blade this weekend. Had to put it in easy for the last four bosses!

Maybe I didn't have to but some things in the game were taking me legit 10 tries. More maybe. Seems legit ke a thousand after awhile.

I enjoy that challenge but this game was vastly longer than I expected going in. Beating those bosses would have taken me ages and it's time to wrap this one up. Even the last bosses on easy, I didn't breeze through them. But they just took two or three tries and I was able to finish it. I unwittingly got the food ending, it seems.

Final boss of the good ending tho...
If our own mech suit is the strongest thing in the game then bitch why didn't you send us in with those in the first place????

So I'm FINALLY going to get to start rebirth. I have to find a good time though because I want a long session to start it off.

And someone here got my gears turning about ff14. Some say it's playable as a single player game. If i were to find that true, that would be great. Whole nother FF game out of nowhere. Being an MMO I never even looked at it. Now I'm kinda fascinated.

Damn my wife has been playing a lot of games. That puts the PS5 in contention. I double dipped bg3 to free up the PS5 for Tekken (should have just bought the pc one, duh). She asked if she should get dd2 on PS5 or pc and i told her whatever she wants. She is strongly inclined to buy her games on consoles so I'm surprised she even considered pc.

So she's in the endgame of dd2 And she's already talking about playing bg3 again. Oh wait... She can play that on pc and I can play rebirth!

Södy

Playing my NHL 24 franchise. Despite spending thousands of hours in the series, this is the first time I really deep dive in the mode including scouting, etc.

PUBG and Helldivers 2 with friends.

Anno 1800, this time slow and optimized workforce distribution to other islands.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, finished the first world, not sure what to think about it yet. Definetly fun.

Wanted to start the DLC for Ghost of Tsushima but my old savegame is locked behind PS+. Since my son already has PS Plus on our console, I don't need it to play online but I can't access my cloud saves this way. Atleast, let us download these things Sony (or let me start the DLC right away without completing the first act again).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Now playing Outer Wilds. I tried playing that once before a few years ago, but didn't stick with it. Don't remember exactly why, but part of it was that the PS4 version (although I played it on PS5) just didn't feel good at 30fps with very heavy input lag. But I think I also wasn't really in the right mindset at the time, and maybe some other game stole my attention.

Now that there's a native PS5 version at a mostly solid 60fps it feels MUCH better to play, and I'm invested in figuring out what's going on.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still on Sin & Punishment 2. Can reach Stage 6 but that one fucks me over, will need a lot of practice to beat it.

Also, hyped for this Friday since SMT V² is coming out.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Got sucked back into Starfield for another new game+ run. Trying to hit level 100 for my last achievement so I can start enabling mods.

Gears of War 4: Playing a few sections a day. I still think it's a great blockbuster movie style action game. Definitely a different tone, but that's fun to me. I just played 4 games in a row that are really similar in that series so this was a breath of fresh air. And without a doubt it's much, much, much better graphically than anything in the originals. Very impressed so far.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ghost of Tsushima: GoT has really provided me with some badass moments, like last night rescuing some villagers by putting an arrow into the face of a mongol, before dropping down and driving my katana through another’s chest. I do agree that this is a little like a UBI style formula, but not in a bad way. I’ve been enjoying every bit of this.

Atari 50th Anniversary Celebration: Super well done collection of classic games, and really cool historical bits about the company. This is my laid back, don’t have much time to play game.

Postal Brain Damaged: My quick pick up and fuck around game.

I’ve got so many other recent pick ups that I have to get to. I don’t want to start anything else until after GoT though.

Last edited:
Recently started Xenoblade X and Paper Mario TTYD. I did not care for Xenoblade 1 but I really like X two hours in. Love TTYD. Also just bought Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity because the price glitched at Gamestop ($14). My summer is packed.

Shifty1897

Unicorn Overlord on the Switch and I ended up reinstalling Civilization 6 because of the 7 announcement. Big mistake. Now I'm about two days behind on a work project and all I can think about is fast tracking the machinery technology so I can build lumber mills in all these forested areas around my cities and use the production to start pumping out commercial hubs and trade routes.

Finished Dredge. Cool game although playing Dave the Diver and then this back to back gave me a bit of fatigue even though they are quite different. Dave the Diver is the better game even though it had a bit too much content for its own good.
Don't think the atmosphere was that great in Dredge tbh, it's never like I felt and dread or danger from being out on the boat at night etc. Still worth a play though even if catching all the crab abberations turned into a real grind.

These two have been teasing me on Extra. Is Dredge actually spooky? I have been debating waiting until closer to Halloween when I do a spooky game marathon.

You probably already started, but go for TTYD and join discussion in the OT.

engstra

These two have been teasing me on Extra. Is Dredge actually spooky? I have been debating waiting until closer to Halloween when I do a spooky game marathon.
Personnally I wouldn't say so. If there was more at stake, to really up the risk/reward, maybe that would build some tension of staying out past dark. But never felt dangerous or that athmosperic tbh

Roberts

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - Finally decided to give it a try but ditched it already. I love it when Souls-like games make me curious to explore and discover new stuff without really giving me any kind of story reason to do so. I played this for a few hours and it was clear as day that I'm not getting any kind of excitement out of it. It also looks kind of bad and I'm not a fan of messy gameplay mechanics.

Octopath Traveler 2 - It is unusual for me to be this negative, but I am not feeling this one, too. I'm glad you guys like it, but I found the storytelling to be excruciating in a way that it feels like it was conceived by adults and then passed on to twelve year olds to write all the dialogue and create drama. It looks lovely, though and initially I had some fun with combat.

Last edited:
Personnally I wouldn't say so. If there was more at stake, to really up the risk/reward, maybe that would build some tension of staying out past dark. But never felt dangerous or that athmosperic tbh

That's helpful, thanks! I'll probably pick it up soon to play on the side. It seems shorter than Dave the Diver which I was also contemplating, but kind of offput by the HLTB reported length. Dredge seems much more doable as a side game than Dave, especially when I'll be focusing on Shadow of the Erdtree soon.

Can anyone help me replace The Division 2 with a good alternative?

I'm looking for something similar to play cause the devs are just pissing me off ruining that game.

Anyone able to recommend something good?

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - Finally decided to give it a try but after a few hours ditched it. I love it when Souls-like games make me curious to explore and discover new stuff without really giving me any kind of story reason to do so. I played this for a few hours and it was clear as day that I'm not getting any kind of excitement out of it. It also looks kind of bad and I'm not a fan of messy gameplay mechanics.
It is a good game, but the starting Yellow Heaven Arc is enough to make anyone want to quit. It is the most tedious and looks the worst in the whole game. I have no idea why it is even there. Once you pass it and get to the village it gets a lot better.

Last edited:

engstra

That's helpful, thanks! I'll probably pick it up soon to play on the side. It seems shorter than Dave the Diver which I was also contemplating, but kind of offput by the HLTB reported length. Dredge seems much more doable as a side game than Dave, especially when I'll be focusing on Shadow of the Erdtree soon.
Yea should take a bout half the time to complete Dredge compared to Dave the Diver. Dave the Diver is the better game but was much bigger than I expected, had a blast with it though

Top Bottom