• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what is the secret to not getting permanently banned from NeoGAF.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razek

Banned
meh I can't stand the OT anymore

I'm going to have to agree with this. It just seems different from a year ago. Maybe it's because I can finally post, the new layout, or the members, but I don't get joy from reading the articles anymore. There doesn't seem to be as much actual discussion going on either. Everyone knows everyone's posting habits and schtick. There just isn't any surprise anymore.

I never used to bother with the gaming side. I was almost an all OT reader, but I find myself over there way more often now. At least is seems there are more opportunities for progressive discussion over there.

Riggs

Banned
Five dollars says this guy will be banned within a week.

iChJf.jpg

You're the guy on the left.

OT is where the gods go to die.

Gaming is always good : ) Finding myself over there more often too.

All I do in OT is post pics/gifs and they are not relevant to the topic at hand 84% of the time.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
I'm going to have to agree with this. It just seems different from a year ago. Maybe it's because I can finally post, the new layout, or the members, but I don't get joy from reading the articles anymore. There doesn't seem to be as much actual discussion going on either. Everyone knows everyone's posting habits and schtick. There just isn't any surprise anymore.

I never used to bother with the gaming side. I was almost an all OT reader, but I find myself over there way more often now. At least is seems there are more opportunities for progressive discussion over there.

I agree, except I tend not to post on the gaming side. But yeah, OT is boring now, I just keep on checking in due to habit.

oh you mean the place where EatChildren had to reset an entire thread because people were bickering about graphics on consoles that don't even exist

Razek

Banned
Maybe there just isn't much to talk about lately. I never understood the posters that mocked the OT and said they stick primarily to community, I always thought that would be boring. Now I found myself doing it as well.

One thing I really miss are the Pleb threads, tell us your quarks, dreams, ambitions, ect. Basically, the personal ones. Now they never make it past page 2 because everyone just posts the obvious joke one liners. Why even bother then?

oh you mean the place where EatChildren had to reset an entire thread because people were bickering about graphics on consoles that don't even exist

What's this?

bjork

It doesn't seem different, it is different. People splintered off into their communities and tend to stay there most of the time (which makes those communities either hard to take part in or to sift through nonsense to actually read imo), and so the shtick characters in regular OT threads are more prominent how. But it's not a matter of a year ago or two years ago, it's just the way the entire forum population has evolved.

Also, to pretend gaming is any different is hilarious. Both sides have their high and low points, it just becomes a matter of what you choose to read or not read. :shrug:

Razek

Banned
It doesn't seem different, it is different. People splintered off into their communities and tend to stay there most of the time (which makes those communities either hard to take part in or to sift through nonsense to actually read imo), and so the shtick characters in regular OT threads are more prominent how. But it's not a matter of a year ago or two years ago, it's just the way the entire forum population has evolved.

Also, to pretend gaming is any different is hilarious
. Both sides have their high and low points, it just becomes a matter of what you choose to read or not read. :shrug:

No, you're right. That side has a prominent gang of one word posters that add nothing as well. I think it's just the topics on this side that generally contain the discussion are not my thing anymore. It's always the race and sexuality threads that see this discussion, and it's the same thing every time now. Religion threads don't even show up anymore and the other common ones like tipping are too meta to make a scene.

Like you said, the other threads that see discussion are too community orientated like the movie threads and pop threads.

hub

Banned
I dunno, I can't count the amount of times I've been outright insulted, called an idiot, stupid, etc. and not had the person banned.

Then you randomly might find yourself banned for not breaking a single rule.

So, follow the rules.. and partly luck.

One piece of advice?

If the neogaf "horde" is kind of against you on any topic that is remotely controversial? Back the hell away from the conversation.

Heed this guys advice.

;)

Camp Lo

Banned
Riggs
Banned
(08-09-2012, 11:03 AM)

Surprised I have not been banned yet. I hope it stays this way forever!

Snuggler
erotic butter maelstrom
(08-09-2012, 11:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Riggs:
Surprised I have not been banned yet. I hope it stays this way forever!
Five dollars says this guy will be banned within a week.

Too funny.

Never call people names and never post in the gaming forum; use the community gaming forum instead for game talk. Trust me

This is real advice. I dare say wisdom. We've lost many a legendary MLB-GAF member, lulled by the sweet siren's song of the Gaming Side.

I had a nightmare the other night I was Perma-Banned, actually.

A question about magazine scans.

Why are they legitimately banned? I really can't think of any site that has the no scans rule other than GAF.

One would think if there really *were* legal repercussions we would've had them in droves considering how much shit gets posted on other sites.

Plus, with all the people in the industry that works with GAF, I highly doubt they'd care even if they technically *could* take legal action.

Seems so bizarre for something so harmless, imo.

A question about magazine scans.

Why are they legitimately banned? I really can't think of any site that has the no scans rule other than GAF.

One would think if there really *were* legal repercussions we would've had them in droves considering how much shit gets posted on other sites.

Plus, with all the people in the industry that works with GAF, I highly doubt they'd care even if they technically *could* take legal action.

Seems so bizarre for something so harmless, imo.
I'm thinking that it's precisely because so many people in the industry are on GAF. Including people who make a living writing for the magazines. If all the new magazine scans were posted here, no one would ever buy them. It's probably a show of good will.

Narolf

Banned
I'm thinking that it's precisely because so many people in the industry are on GAF. Including people who make a living writing for the magazines. If all the new magazine scans were posted here, no one would ever buy them. It's probably a show of good will.

Thought that was due to copyright for one. Makes sense now.

this is a constant struggle. they only alter the ToS when too many people are too big of an idiot about posting too many things.
Yeah, when I was a junior I read the TOS in almost it's entirely. But still there's a lot of things that get you auto-banned easily that you couldn't possibly know unless you were at that specific thread where it became a bankable offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom