• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Switch travel case solution (if any)?

Jerm411

So I checked my Amazon pre-order today on the RDS case, it was delivery date pending...now I'm wondering if I'll be getting it on the 3rd.

Anyone have a case ordered yet that has a guaranteed delivery date of 3/3? Might considering changing my order...

SiDCrAzY

Another thing, with the game cases directly underneath the system, without anything in-between them, isn't there a small risk of scratching the back of the system with the hard plastic cases?

Other people already responded, but I'd also like to point out that I don't think the Switch will lay down flat on its back because of the grooves on the Joycons, but I could be wrong.

I think I'd be happy with either case really, but the RDS one just seems to fit me better at the moment.

jax

Banned
Some sort of a folio does exist.

It's from a company in japan called cyber.

There's also a few case that only hold the tablet portion.

This one's made by gametec

NOW YOU ARE SPEAKING MY LANGUAGE. HOO-RAH!

oh SHIT son, there's even a red one.

513Y%2BEAQHnL.jpg

That'll match my all-red switch.

Thanks for posting this!

GamerJM

Banned
My plan is to not buy anything at launch and wait and see if I need one later. The Switch's lifespan will probably last through a transitional period in my life where I don't really know how frequently I'll be leaving my living space with it, so I dunno if it'll be necessary or not yet. Something like a traveling case would have been nice for the Wii U since I took it to and from college a lot, but ultimately I was fine and the gamepad never broke. Also by waiting I'll see what the reception on the different traveling cases is like before I buy any of them.

tiijj

I will be needing an external battery and a aditional USB C cable, any tips?

For usb c cable go with one of the "approved" ones in this spreadsheet.

One of the engineer at google tested some cables to check if it's built to the usb c specification.

Just a warning, right now we dont even know if the usb cable on the switch is built to specification. I'm pretty sure it is but since nobody has it right now, so I guess nobody has tested it. Also some of those cables that were not "approved" might work perfectly fine too.

For usb c cable go with one of the "approved" ones in this spreadsheet.

One of the engineer at google tested some cables to check if it's built to the usb c specification.

Just a warning, right now we dont even know if the usb cable on the switch is built to specification. I'm pretty sure it is but since nobody has it right now, so I guess nobody has tested it. Also some of those cables that were not "approved" might work perfectly fine too.

Note that this only applies to USB A to C cables. I keep seeing this brought up and while it is good advice, if you're getting a battery with USB C on it you can use any USB C to C cable without concern as there's no resistors or anything in those.

jts

...hate me...
Are you guys actually going to put screen protectors on your Switch?

I'm tempted, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting dust in-between and wind up trashing the protector promptly. :
Before I know how scratch resistant the screen is, and because Nintendo's case includes a screen protector anyway,

Yes.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
b.jpg

Just ordered the Zelda case from ***********. neoGAF won't let me link...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
probably a dumb question, but does the basic official slip case thing has a stiff front to help protect the screen?

N30RYU

Gold Member
probably a dumb question, but does the basic official slip case thing has a stiff front to help protect the screen?
I would be more worried about the analog sticks 'cause they are what will suffer if it's not hold in place

Listonosh

I bought two to see which I like more.

This Zelda one I liked because it offers protection for the entire system, plus the Joycons, and it comes with some neat extras like headphones, joycon slips, and storage for game carts.

The second I bought because I really love the slip case for iPads, as I think they're super elegant looking, so I bought this one. Granted, it offers less protection, but I really like how it looks.

Peltz

Are you guys actually going to put screen protectors on your Switch?

I'm tempted, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting dust in-between and wind up trashing the protector promptly. :
Hells no. I never put screen protectors on my handhelds and they've never gotten scratches.

My vita still looks pristine to this day (albeit slightly dusty).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's because it's a copy of the Sheikah slate in BotW.

I know what it's based on, still thinks it's ugly. If the only reason they think it looks pwerty is because it's from Zelda then I wonder if it were based on Tingle's underwear would it still garner similar responses.

Coffinhal

I know what it's based on, still thinks it's ugly. If the only reason they think it looks pwerty is because it's from Zelda then I wonder if it were based on Tingle's underwear would it still garner similar responses.

This is dumb, you are insulting people ("lol you would like it if it was an underwear lololol") and you don't provide ANYTHING to back up your dumb troll (are the colors bad chosen? is the drawing bad ? texture ? etc), twice in a row. Sad.

Haines

Banned
Read the entire thread.

Respect everybody's choices but I'm just going to go with the simple Nintendo one and the PDP one.

I don't need 2 cases but than I have the option and an extra one incase one is misplaced.

I just need it to be covered while in a bag.

Some of these cases are completely overkill.

Ultimadrago

This is dumb, you are insulting people ("lol you would like it if it was an underwear lololol") and you don't provide ANYTHING to back up your dumb troll (are the colors bad chosen? is the drawing bad ? texture ? etc), twice in a row. Sad.

They're not trolling. It's a giant Sheikah eyeball. It doesn't look sleek, it doesn't look cool and it sure isn't attractive from this view point. I'm actually curious why others think it's interesting (the case in particular, I suppose).

I don't want to carry anything around inside that either and also think it's unsightly. It's thematically involved, yes, but not aesthetically appealing to me just like it isn't to them.

Feeroper

I'm ordering both the Hori tough case and the official Nintendo one. I also have the Zelda special edition pre-ordered, so we'll see what one I want to use once I have them all. Definitely overkill, but I also figure that there will potentially be a hardware refresh somewhere down the line so Ill potentially have an extra case on hand for it.

I also ordered the Hori premium screen protector but I usually suck at putting them on, however I hear the Hori ones are usually pretty easy - is this true? Also, what makes it premium or better than a standard screen protector? I'm getting it based on recommendations to go for the premium one but I'm not entirely sure what the difference is.

Haines

Banned
Im in the camp that thinks the zelda case is ugly as hell as well.

But if you can swing that thing around in public, by all means, do so,

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's not an appealing design. Screaming "TROLL" doesn't change that.

Why would anyone accuse someone of trolling because they don't like the look of the case? I personally find it unattractive as well.

//ARCANUM

I'm getting all of these at launch:

I'm getting all of these because I need to do unboxing videos for work, and these seem the most varied and interesting. Not sure if I'll go with the RDS case, the Zelda special edition case, or the official Nintendo one for personal use.

As for the backpack, I'm just super curious what the hell that looks like inside and if I can use it for other things too! (A Nintendo Switch branded backpack sounds kinda cool.)

japtor

I'm getting all of these because I need to do unboxing videos for work, and these seem the most varied and interesting. Not sure if I'll go with the RDS case, the Zelda special edition case, or the official Nintendo one for personal use.

As for the backpack, I'm just super curious what the hell that looks like inside and if I can use it for other things too! (A Nintendo Switch branded backpack sounds kinda cool.)
What's your budget for stuff to review? :p

Posted this one earlier but no pic, so here goes again with a pic:

rgLd0gI.jpg

http://www.play-asia.com/front-cover-for-nintendo-switch-black/13/70aw5h

Just a front flip cover thing like the Apple iPad covers, looks like it has vents for the top and can stay attached while docked, vs the other folio ones that presumably need to be taken off. Curious how it attaches, like if there's some points or just...sticks on?

There's also a bunch of other Japanese products that I haven't seen on Amazon (US at least).

Lexxism

If you're not going to use the RDS case, can I buy it from you?

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Can anyone post the image of the Zelda official case that's up on ShopTo? I preordered and cannot wait for it!!

//ARCANUM

If you're not going to use the RDS case, can I buy it from you?

Unfortunately, I'm unable to sell anything we get for unboxing/review, sorry. Also, I'm *probably* going to be using the RDS case myself.

We'll have two more Zelda games by the time they show us the interior of the PDP backpack.

I'm wondering if my unboxing will be the first time we see the inside of that thing lol.

What's your budget for stuff to review? :p

Posted this one earlier but no pic, so here goes again with a pic:

rgLd0gI.jpg

http://www.play-asia.com/front-cover-for-nintendo-switch-black/13/70aw5h

Just a front flip cover thing like the Apple iPad covers, looks like it has vents for the top and can stay attached while docked, vs the other folio ones that presumably need to be taken off. Curious how it attaches, like if there's some points or just...sticks on?

There's also a bunch of other Japanese products that I haven't seen on Amazon (US at least).
Yeah, I'm curious about how it attaches to the Switch too. Will it be magnetic so it sticks to the screen, or is it just loose and floppy?

I also wonder if this case will go on sale in the US, but it might arrive faster from Play Asia than hoping it'll turn up on Amazon in the first week or two of the Switch launch... Edit: oh wait, it's not launching until April. :(

I see lots of people gushing about this, but honestly, I think that is one ugly case.

Agreed. I actually cancelled my special edition order because I realized the case was the only thing I really cared about from it but after looking at it more in this video and seeing what other cases are available, I realized that I don't really like how it looks and prefer other options. Not to mention that it appears that style of case in the special edition and other PDP cases doesn't offer cutouts for the triggers or joysticks, meaning that I'd be worried about damage to them.

The options I'm currently considering are:

RDS Industries Deluxe Travel Case
Looks good, like that it allows room for the triggers and joysticks while still carrying 8 games and having a pocket for a USB cable, but am concerned about bulk and protection for the bottom of the switch after seeing the video of how the game cards are stored. Also don't like that game cards are kept in flimsy-looking plastic cases instead of pockets.

Surge Carry-All Case
Is rather boring and plain on the outside, but looks to be one of the slimmer options for a hard case thanks to the design for the triggers. Like the RDS case I like that it has those pockets for the trigger and the flap allows space for the joysticks. It too also carries 8 games and has a pocket, so functionally it's similar to the RDS case while maybe being a bit slimmer yet blander looking.

Official Nintendo Case
I really need to see some hands on with this one. It looks to be the slimmest option, but I don't think it's as hard or protective as the other cases. Supposedly it does have game card storage though only five, but no pocket for a cable? The stand built in to it also doesn't interest me, since it doesn't provide any functionality the built in kickstand doesn't.

PDP-Nintendo-Switch-Premium-Console-Case-937x1024.jpg

Does anyone know where this is available? Lots of the usual sites you'd go to don't even have it listed, and Amazon has a backlog.

Thanks.

RootCause

I really need to see what the backpack looks like on the inside. Please hit me up with the unboxing video link once you're finished. :)

The RDS Industries one is the one I'll get, i didn't know it had space for the triggers until now. I just wished the game's could be stored directly in the pouch and not in those extra cases but it's fine.

Top Bottom