• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Switch travel case solution (if any)?

Lexxism

fQDXe37.jpg
Holy shit. This thing is huge.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I posted stylish skinny fit jeans like 4 times, lol

The only reason I'm even talking them up so much is that I've tried the carrying a bag around all the time life when the iPad mini first came out. It sucks. I really don't understand how anyone could do that every day, and I plan on bringing it with me everywhere, every day.

No one wants to buy new pants to carry around the Switch. Again, I get that you are going to be sleeping with this thing within arms reach but pull back a bit. Haha

jax

Banned
No one wants to buy new pants to carry around the Switch. Again, I get that you are going to be sleeping with this thing within arms reach but pull back a bit. Haha

Eh. The jeans don't cost much more than some of the cases out there. I don't see why it's not a suitable option, especially for those planning on carrying the Switch everywhere.

Carrying a bag everywhere is not fun. It also makes the Switch easier to lose.

Don't have to take my word for it either, try carrying a bag around for the next week. If you haven't already been doing it your whole life, I promise you'll hate it.

Plum

The official case with screen protector
+
+
A small bit of Velcro to attach the two.

Is what I'll be using. The official case looks like the best option in the UK but I'd also like to carry some games if needed. If I'm travelling I always bring some kind of bag with me so I don't need something that'll carry everything possible.

Blues1990

To be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure if I want to risk taking the system out and about, as I had some unsavory jerks (almost) trying to steal my Nintendo 3DSXL.

I don't even know if the screen has toughened glass or not, so I have to put that into consideration.

Muzicfreq

Banned
A lot of people don't rock cargo pants/shorts, but do carry around a bag.

I know you want to insist that this is pocket sized, but for most people the Switch and Joy-Cons are not going into any pant pockets.
Most people don't actually. Mostly college students

jax

Banned
The official case with screen protector
+

+
A small bit of Velcro to attach the two.

Is what I'll be using. The official case looks like the best option in the UK but I'd also like to carry some games if needed. If I'm travelling I always bring some kind of bag with me so I don't need something that'll carry everything possible.

This looks awesome, it's just a case for the tablet itself, and not the Joy-Con, correct? Where can I buy this thing?

I have this one ordered already
916-ocrGnrL._SL1500_.jpg

But I'm going back and forth on whether I want that or the hori tough pouch with eventual cartridge case if/when I exceed 5 physical games. (Going mostly digital.)

What I want is the tunic one's functionality in a more restrained design. I want space in the case so I can put this in it:
61Ly9jIq-cL._SX425_.jpg

I mean everything is getting thrown in a laptop messenger bag anyways if I'm taking it on a trip, so in theory packing 3 things separately isn't the end of the world.

I can't stand the plastic/acrylic on fabrics like that. I also dislike overly branded/imaged stuff. That's why I was pleasantly surprised and dissapointed I didn't get the Breath of the wild special (non statue) edition. That case is just themed and is a consistent material without too blatant of brand advertising. Hopefully stock comes back in at Amazon or Best Buy at some point. I can't justify $99.99 when all I want is the case when I can get the game for $48.

japtor

I kinda like the Mario version of that one PDP case:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4O0392/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But I'm thinking game storage wise it'd be more convenient both around the house and on the go just to have one of those multi cart cases alone.

And if I brought the Switch anywhere it'd probably just in my bag/backpack with other stuff like I do with iPad and 3DS. So either bare, or something minimal like this cover thing, which can get out of the way enough to still be dockable:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01N125DYN/
http://www.play-asia.com/front-cover-for-nintendo-switch-black/13/70aw5h

I never use cases/screen covers for any of my electronics. I don't care if it costs 100 euros or 2k, I buy these things so I can use them, not showcase them in some shelf decades later.

After my 3 year old gauged my wiiu tablet screen with the charging plug she thought was a stylus I keep screen protectors on everything.

v0yce

They're really small. I can just put one in my coin pocket, and toss the other one in the same pocket as my phone. (I rock a regular 7 with a screen protector, so plenty of space.

You think you can stick an analog stick in your coin pocket?

Frankly the idea of various pieces of the Switch in most of my pant pockets seems incredibly uncomfortable and will look... lumpy

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm holding off on picking one out/deciding to get one.

Hell, I first have to stop waffling on my preorder and make sure I don't cancel it. :D

I doubt I will though, so will just be a matter of having it a bit, getting used to the size and seeing if it's something I ever want to take out of the house. I've just never had a lot of use of portable gaming. I don't have much down time outside of the house in daily life, and when traveling I tend to want a break from normal routines (and I normally game a lot) so I've rarely used portables even when I've taken them on trips.

Only difference here is I may be more apt to keep playing a console game (I'll rarely play undocked at home) on a trip vs. starting something on a dedicated portable that I'd probably never finish after getting back as I prefer gaming on the big screen. If I end up wanting that, I'll pick out one of the smaller cases that still has slots for a few game cards. So probably the official one. I'm careful with my bags so I don't need a bulky one with protection and want to add minimal size and just keep the screen covered and game cards in one place.

jax

Banned
You think you can stick an analog stick in your coin pocket?

Frankly the idea of various pieces of the Switch in most of my pant pockets seems incredibly uncomfortable and will look... lumpy
I thought the same thing about the Vita, it wasn't too bad. Lumpier than I would have wanted, I'll give you that.

I'm hoping with these DPJCO jeans I can just shove the whole Joy-Conned switch in there.

BooJoh

Why buy a case again? If this is accurate, you don't really need one. Just detach the Joy-Con and toss it in your pocket.
I could probably get away with doing this, but the vents on top of the system look like sizable gaping holes. A little pocket lint inside your Switch could possibly mean bad things for your $300 system.

I'll probably continue carrying my 3DS around in my pocket for quite a while anyway, so a case for the Switch when I want to take it with me seems like the best idea.

jax

Banned
I could probably get away with doing this, but the vents on top of the system look like sizable gaping holes. A little pocket lint inside your Switch could possibly mean bad things for your $300 system.

I'll probably continue carrying my 3DS around in my pocket for quite a while anyway, so a case for the Switch when I want to take it with me seems like the best idea.

Something like this, that only snaps around the tablet would solve that issue. The vents do look like lint magnets, though. Good looking out!

hwy_61

Banned
I'm getting that regular Hori one. Simple design, and it looks like it's going to protect the Switch just fine.

I'm one of those unwashed heathens GAF hates that wears cargo shorts, and since my bottom left pocket is usually empty if I ever do take my Switch somewhere I'll just put it in there with the JoyCons off. Not too worried about the screen getting scratched but I can always face the screen "in" and have the JoyCons sit in my pocket against the back of the system.

I am of course assuming that my cargo pocket is even big enough to hold the Switch at all though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Most people don't actually. Mostly college students

Outside of college, I think it's more an urban thing honestly. If you're taking public transit, walking a lot of places etc., having a bag is super common.

If you're just driving from home to work, driving to the store etc., then yeah a bag is much less needed/common. But such people probably have less use for a portable in general as that's not much downtime. Unless they have forced lunch breaks I guess rather than just working at their desk like a lot of us for lunch.

I'm a bag person myself as I always want my iPad with me as it's my most used gadget--not sure why I bother paying for a smart phone honestly--much less an iPhone. If I'm traveling I'll want the iPad and my Kindle Voyage (read on it every night and a ton on planes), have to add in my work laptop for most business trips and sometimes a portable in the past and maybe Switch in the future.

WadeitOut

I'm one of those unwashed heathens GAF hates that wears cargo shorts, and since my bottom left pocket is usually empty if I ever do take my Switch somewhere I'll just put it in there with the JoyCons off. Not too worried about the screen getting scratched but I can always face the screen "in" and have the JoyCons sit in my pocket against the back of the system.

I am of course assuming that my cargo pocket is even big enough to hold the Switch at all though.

I'm telling you. Cargo shorts are making a comeback.

Not

Banned
Everyone posting how they were able to preorder the Special Edition of BotW is making me sad

I JUST found a Switch

nikos

Ordered the official Nintendo case, but the screen protector is going in the trash and I can't tell if it has cartridge slots. Do we know for sure if it does?

The Hori case is looking like a nice alternative. I'm going to end up tossing it in a bag anyway.

RootCause

Depends on what kind of travel, and for how long. By the time the switch launches, I'll have five cases. One will be able to fit the system with stand, pro controller, and charger.

Everyone posting how they were able to preorder the Special Edition of BotW is making me sad

I JUST found a Switch
Congrats on nabbing a switch.

I JUST found a Switch

Yea... I think I would have ordered the edition without the statue through BB/Amazon. By the time I knew it included a case, it was too late.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Outside of college, I think it's more an urban thing honestly. If you're taking public transit, walking a lot of places etc., having a bag is super common.

If you're just driving from home to work, driving to the store etc., then yeah a bag is much less needed/common. But such people probably have less use for a portable in general as that's not much downtime. Unless they have forced lunch breaks I guess rather than just working at their desk like a lot of us for lunch.

I'm a bag person myself as I always want my iPad with me as it's my most used gadget--not sure why I bother paying for a smart phone honestly--much less an iPhone. If I'm traveling I'll want the iPad and my Kindle Voyage (read on it every night and a ton on planes), have to add in my work laptop for most business trips and sometimes a portable in the past and maybe Switch in the future.

Actually most people are forced to take a lunch break.

Some people have and use bags, but people that do think they're the majority when really that's not the case

Eh. The jeans don't cost much more than some of the cases out there. I don't see why it's not a suitable option, especially for those planning on carrying the Switch everywhere.

Carrying a bag everywhere is not fun. It also makes the Switch easier to lose.

Don't have to take my word for it either, try carrying a bag around for the next week. If you haven't already been doing it your whole life, I promise you'll hate it.
Pretty easy to carry a bag everywhere if you need your switch everywhere so bad. Where are you going that you cant use a bag? Messenger bags are fine or get a purse. They wont be much trouble.

jax

Banned
Pretty easy to carry a bag everywhere if you need your switch everywhere so bad. Where are you going that you cant use a bag? Messenger bags are fine or get a purse. They wont be much trouble.

Like I said earlier, I tried the carry a bag everywhere thing when the iPad mini first came out.

Bought a dope Waterfield bag for it and everything.

It's a terrible experience.

It's not "pretty easy", it sucks.

Anyone who doesn't already carry a purse or bag everywhere is kidding themselves if they think it's no big deal.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Like I said earlier, I tried the carry a bag everywhere thing when the iPad mini first came out.

Bought a dope Waterfield bag for it and everything.

It's a terrible experience.

It's not "pretty easy", it sucks.

Anyone who doesn't already carry a purse or bag everywhere is kidding themselves if they think it's no big deal.

But piling a Switch and Joy-Cons plus your phone, wallet and keys into your pockets is easy?

Come on, you must see the hypocrisy here.

It would make so much more sense if you said you were going to be carrying things in coat pockets as well as pants.

I posted stylish skinny fit jeans like 4 times, lol

The only reason I'm even talking them up so much is that I've tried the carrying a bag around all the time life when the iPad mini first came out. It sucks. I really don't understand how anyone could do that every day, and I plan on bringing it with me everywhere, every day.
If you can find stuff in my Hot Topic aesthetic that fits and has pockets enough to fit a Switch, I'd give you a neato finder's fee hehehehehe :p

The last pair of pants I got were really cool galaxy jeans, which I was dismayed to learn that they didn't have front pockets. The fact that so much of women's clothing has no pockets is an outrage and I know a lot of women who complain but honestly I'm shocked they don't complain MORE. I mean SERIOUSLY JEEZ

Back on topic, I'm cool with carrying a bag with me any time. I'd rather not bulk up my pockets unnecessarily and a bag could work or if a bag is too much, have it be put in my Harley Quinn bag. It's all good.

Zalman

Decided to place an order for the official one. Since it holds games as well I think I like that one the best. It comes with a screen protector too but I'm not even sure if I want to use it. I suck at putting on screen protectors.

Decided to place an order for the official one. Since it holds games as well I think I like that one the best. It comes with a screen protector too but I'm not even sure if I want to use it. I suck at putting on screen protectors.

Get a tempered glass one once they are out. They are so much easier to put on in my experience.

epicnemesis

I saw the insignia one and was tempted, but I hated those straps on my ds case back in the day so I went with the hori one.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
I'm looking to get Monoprice's Tactical Notebook Sleeve and use the three front pockets to house the Switch, Joy-Cons, and either the AC Adapter or Hori's Compact Playstand. For added protection, I'll have Power A's Hybrid Cover installed on the Switch as well.

Aside from that, I can carry my laptop or some extra accessories such as cables, adapters, and game cases in the main back compartment.

That will probably serve me best until WaterField comes along with a more suitable alternative. Even then, it will definitely depend on the price point as both options will be going in a bag of some sorts in any event.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Actually most people are forced to take a lunch break.

Some people have and use bags, but people that do think they're the majority when really that's not the case

True. My view is skewed a bit from being a college professor at an urban university with most of the businesses around us also being salaried employers (aside from shops and food places of course). So there's not a big set time, lunch break scene here as people are just grabbing stuff whenever or eating at their desk.

And yeah, even here (at least once you are off campus) bags aren't a majority just much more common than in the suburbs or smaller towns where people are driving everywhere and never/rarely taking public transit or walking several blocks etc. In urban center--even other parts of town away from campuses--people are walking or biking around all over the place and most have messenger bags or large purses. Especially the younger generations.

The tablet movement really increased it I think as it seems many more people carry those around daily than ever did laptops. I'll always be a bag person just from wanting my iPad with me daily (well not when just running errands with no downtime) and wanting other gadgets like my Kindle or a portable gaming device reasonably often as well. So throwing a Switch in their with a slim case won't be a big deal. Takes up more room than a 3DS or Vita, but not a huge deal. I'll want to find a smaller USB-C travel brick for travel though--or at least one with a few ports so I dont also have to bring one for my iPad and iPhone.

Top Bottom