• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who needs games: PlayStation 4's first year [EUROGAMER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny because my brother and I are having a blast with our ps4 (that apparently has no games).

The games we bought are:

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
The Last of US remastered
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Destiny
Natural Doctrine

and all the awesome PS+ Freebies

I guess those games "don't count" because they are not exclusives?
Sad times indeed :(

I'm a PS4 owner since September and I can't say I've lacked stuff to play. That being said, I missed out on quite a few games they're remastering so yeah. More worthwhile exclusives like Second Son would be nice and next year looks like it may deliver.

From where I’m sitting my current backlog + soon to be released games of interest looks like this:

Shadow of Mordor
DA: Inquisition
Wolfenstein
First Light
The Evil Within
Alien: Isolation
GTA: V (didn’t play it last gen)
Far Cry 4
Driveclub PS+
Towerfall
P v Z
Unfinished Swan
Binding of Isaac

And there’s no way I’m going to be able to finish all of these games before stuff like Bloodborne and No Man’s Sky start dropping. So the backlog will only grow from here on out. But yeah, maybe I should just ignore reality and accept the alternate reality of some GAFers where the only thing I can do with my PS4 is watch Netflix or stare at a blank screen while sadly fondling my dualshock 4.

Since the article is strictly about the PS4, then ok, I can agree on its points.
We'll have to see next week if they apply the same logic to their Xbox article, since that it is in the same position, where its best games can be played somewhere else.

VanWinkle

There is no denying that PS4 has been a disappointment, in relation to the insane levels of hype and excitement in its early days. Destiny was a massive disappointment, Drive Club suffered huge delays and a horribly bungled launch, Knack and Killzone were lackluster.

I'm sure PS4 will hit its stride eventually. But for right now the best reason to own a PS4 is if you want the best console version of multiplatform games (most of which are better on PC anyway).

I own all 3 current-gen consoles plus 3DS and a PC. PS4 was easily my least played system over the last year.

It's interesting, because I also own all three new consoles, and the PS4 is easily my MOST played system of last year.

I mean, there might be some context to that statement you're not considering.

Like Microsofts initial mountain of self-imposed Xbox struggles and how they've been able to effectively sidestep most of them. I don't think saying 'they've got their act together' implies that they're doing a better job than Sony. I think it implies that they're doing a better job than they were originally doing themselves and therefore aren't as irellevant to Sony's potential success with PS4 anymore. Or in other words, they're basically saying "you ought to shape up now that your competition isn't an arguably shittier value anymore"

I have feeling most of that again going to be subjective and have no facts to back it up.

Since the article is strictly about the PS4, then ok, I can agree on its points.
We'll have to see next week if they apply the same logic to their Xbox article, since that it is in the same position, where its best games can be played somewhere else.

Sunset Overdrive can be played on a different platform???

Biker19

Banned
lol fuck

you... aren't even trying

Sorry, but it's the truth. The gaming media from both the U.S. & the UK seems to be awfully biased towards Sony while always praising Microsoft instead of giving both Sony & Microsoft equal treatment & judging them fairly.

I mean, there might be some context to that statement you're not considering.

Like Microsofts initial mountain of self-imposed Xbox struggles and how they've been able to effectively sidestep most of them. I don't think saying 'they've got their act together' implies that they're doing a better job than Sony. I think it implies that they're doing a better job than they were originally doing themselves and therefore aren't as irellevant to Sony's potential success with PS4 anymore. Or in other words, they're basically saying "you ought to shape up now that your competition isn't an arguably shittier value anymore"

We shall see. I hope it's written by the same person to see whether or not he's concerned about "true exclusives" when talking about those games that you can only play on the Xbox One.

Sorry, but it's the truth. The gaming media from both the U.S. & the UK seems to be awfully biased towards Sony while praising Microsoft instead of being fair to each other.

I'll give you the US, haha, homeland of Microsoft and the recipient zone of most of it's advertising cash but even then that's a strained argument and if I pressed you for evidence I'm not sure how long this conversation would last. People seem to take notice any time someone knocks their preferred console but gloss over when it happens in equal or greater measure to someone else's. I remember fighting Nintendo fans because "everybody shit on the 3DS its first year but nobody is touching the Vita!" fuckin lol but that's Nintendo fans I guess

When we're talking about games in UK I was always under the impression that Sony is king, perceptually and sales-wise, by a fairly wide margin

Eventually, the gaming press will move on and come to terms with the new market realities

such an iron clad narrative. where are the foundations for it? what conclusively puts games journalism to you guys as being inside Microsoft's pocket to this degree? I'd have thought the last year alone would put a stop to this line of thought.

From where I’m sitting my current backlog + soon to be released games of interest looks like this:

Shadow of Mordor
DA: Inquisition
Wolfenstein
First Light
The Evil Within
Alien: Isolation
GTA: V (didn’t play it last gen)
Far Cry 4
Driveclub PS+
Towerfall
P v Z
Unfinished Swan
Binding of Isaac

And there’s no way I’m going to be able to finish all of these games before stuff like Bloodborne and No Man’s Sky start dropping. So the backlog will only grow from here on out. But yeah, maybe I should just ignore reality and accept the alternate reality of some GAFers where the only thing I can do with my PS4 is watch Netflix or stare at a blank screen while sadly fondling my dualshock 4.

What really helps me out is that I refuse to pay 70 euros for new games (that's the average price in Ireland currently) so whenever I finish the games I have at the moment I can looks forward to Mordor and such. I never ran out of games to play with my launch Wii U, I'm sure not going to with my PS4.

orochi91

Sorry, but it's the truth. The gaming media from both the U.S. & the UK seems to be awfully biased towards Sony while always praising Microsoft instead of being fair to each other & giving both Sony & Microsoft equal treatment.

XB1 will remain a distant second this gen.

Eventually, the gaming press will move on and come to terms with the new market realities.

Give it until the end of 2015.

By then the PS4 should have a 20+ million lead over the XB1.

We shall see. I hope it's written by the same person to see whether or not he's concerned about "true exclusives" when talking about those games that you can only play on the Xbox One.

The thing is most true exclusives don't mean anything for the most part.
Infamous SS out sold FH2 and SSO first month sales in NPD.
Which is a game he did not mention and all three of them will be out sold together when GTAV remaster comes out in one day .

Abounder

Banned
Sorry, but it's the truth. The gaming media from both the U.S. & the UK seems to be awfully biased towards Sony while always praising Microsoft instead of being fair to each other & giving both Sony & Microsoft equal treatment.

I think you're confusing articles about Sony's financials vs the Playstation 4 (Sony's financials are bleak at best, and businesswise they seem incompetent), in any case the PS4 deserves to be called out for its lackluster lineup and services, and the gaming media rewards awesome exclusives like we have seen with TLOU's praise. Sony also earned their arrogance with the PS3's prices earlier on.

As someone who doesn't have a next gen console yet....there still isn't much of a reason to jump in, and quite frankly the controller quality, PS4 stability updates, and PSN outages makes Year 1 look like a guinea pig trial

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
XB1 will remain a distant second this gen.

Eventually, the gaming press will move on and come to terms with the new market realities.

Give it until the end of 2015.

By then the PS4 should have a 20+ million lead over the XB1.
In one year they are going to have a 20+ million lead?
What's the reasoning for that?
I don't remember you being very informed when even talking current numbers, so your reasoning for trends will be interesting.

PS2 had big time exclusives by Holiday 2001, basically it's one year anniversary in the US. GT3, FFX, GTA3, DMC and a bunch more. It was an exclusives beast at that time. The PS2 delivered pretty quick, though it's launch games pretty much sucked and there wasn't much to play the first 6 months, especially if you already had a Dreamcast like me.

Yeah, it eventually delivered at the end of year one. But it was the road going there that killed the dreamcast. People were expecting Jesus himself riding on hardware that could control saddams missiles. Dreamcast was fighting a dream not an actual lineup. Sad to see it happening again. What really boogles my mind is the subscription part. How and when did console gamers agree to the idea you have to pay for online? It´s ridiculous.

Can you tell me what promises PS4 was build other than it going be good place to play games.
Only perception problem is message board users and some of the gaming press feel what they think matter most don't and reality hit them in the face .

Why dou you need more?

Chabbles

Its year one, what exactly are people expecting ?
My current game library for PS4 not including Plus games,

KZSF, TRDE, Metro Redux, TLoU, Wolfenstein, TEW, AI, BF4, COD AW, Infamous, DriveClub, WD's, GZ... I cant remember a year one console being so decent in the past.

Afrocious

I feel a lot of folks mentioning multiplats for their PS4 library probably either don't have a PC or prefer consoles in general.

Ugh it's hard out there for the master race.

Slixshot

Banned
29mSmhj.gif

Edit:
I feel a lot of folks mentioning multiplats for their PS4 library probably either don't have a PC or prefer consoles in general.

As someone who has everything, I find the ecosystem on consoles much more enjoyable. They're less convoluted with their UI (well, I'm just starting to get used to the One's UI), they serve only the purpose of gaming for me which allows me to just sit down and play games without getting sidetracked, I personally enjoy having discs and those are practically useless on PC nowadays, and all of my friends play on consoles. Honestly, there is very little that a PC does that makes it a "better" experience for me. The only thing PC's have over consoles for me is Dota.

Astral Dog

Sony played their cards right, while their competition struggled, its very unlikely that the opinion, and sales of the system will get worse.

I mean, most people seem to be happy with Destiny, in that it became an event, was/is THE system seller and best selling new ip ever. Unity is probably going to be a success too.

Yes, a lot of people seem to be confusing the fact that they preferentially buy games for one system to it having a lot of compelling exclusives.

Yeah, it eventually delivered at the end of year one. But it was the road going there that killed the dreamcast. People were expecting Jesus himself riding on hardware that could control saddams missiles. Dreamcast was fighting a dream not an actual lineup. Sad to see it happening again. What really boogles my mind is the subscription part. How and when did console gamers agree to the idea you have to pay for online? It´s ridiculous.

Why dou you need more?

You have not answer my question , your saying Sony hype PS4 to be second coming of Jesus .
All Sony did was said it going best consoles to play games and for the most part it's true .
Yeah first party games could have been better but most of what they said there were going to do they did.

Maybe he is concern trolling, or at least just trying to shift consensus a bit over where the games are actually at because he believes they're elsewhere. I'll keep your viewpoints in mind when the next article hits if only because there's so many of you who seem to believe this even if I think it's kinda outlandish.

orochi91

such an iron clad narrative. where are the foundations for it? what conclusively puts games journalism to you guys as being inside Microsoft's pocket to this degree? I'd have thought the last year alone would put a stop to this line of thought.

It's an impression I've developed over the course of last gen.

PS3 was heavily scrutinized by the press then, and that mindset has carried over to the PS4.

I'm not insinuating MS is paying anyone either. It's just that MS was clearly the popular one for an entire gen in the medias' view.

I don't remember you being very informed when even talking current numbers, so your reasoning for trends will be interesting.

Of course, by the end of 2014 PS4 will possibly have a ~10 million lead on the XB1 WW.

I expect that to double (at minimum) by the end of 2015 given the number of quality titles (exclusive and multiplats) to come and a price but to $299. That's mass market pricing.

Possibly even a slim version of the console.

~20 million gap at a minimum is what I expect.

pastrami

I can't say it has better games due to metacritic with a straight face because the data isn't truly objective and it's easy to tear it apart with analysis rendering any conclusions based on it moot.

I can agree with that. My intention wasn't to give value to Metacritic scores.

Loakum

Banned
With the only exception being The Last of Us Remaster, the PS4 exclusives has been very "meh", to say the least. However, it still has the best versions of many multiplatform titles. However, 2015 looks like a much better year for Sony. Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, and The Order 1886 all look amazing.

The PS4 must be the most successful console without a killer app there's ever been, but its momentum can't last forever, its feelgood factor has worn off, and its opponent has got its act together. Sony - and all your partners - it's over to you.

QUOTED FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING TRUTH.
1080p, but 30fps last gen ports are all its best games.

I want a PS4, but can't justify a purchase when there is nothing to buy that can't be bought on every other system.

The only made from the ground up games that actually look like next gen games, Killzones, Infamous & Drive Club, were disappointments & considered above average.

XboxOne, for the year its been on the market, at least has Sunset Overdrive & Forza 5.
If I found an XB1 for really cheap, I would buy it just to play those two games.

It's an impression I've developed over the course of last gen.

PS3 was heavily scrutinized by the press then, and that mindset has carried over to the PS4.

I'm not insinuating MS is paying anyone either. It's just that MS was clearly the popular one for an entire gen in the medias' view.

Of course, by the end of 2014 PS4 will possibly have a ~10 million lead on the XB1 WW.

I expect that to double (at minimum) by the end of 2015 given the number of quality titles (exclusive and multiplats) to come and a price but to $299. That's mass market pricing.

Possibly even a slim version of the console.

~20 million gap at a minimum is what I expect.

the xbone has already started outselling the Ps4. are you talking worldwide? because clearly the Ps4 is losing ground now in the U.S...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Longer than that...it all started on November 15th, 2001 with the Original Xbox.
Xbox Live launched in November 2002, but arguably the point in time when it became accepted was when the Xbox 360 launched.

the xbone has already started outselling the Ps4. are you talking worldwide? because clearly the Ps4 is losing ground now in the U.S...
You mean specifically if you only count sales in the last 14 days?

You have not answer my question , your saying Sony hype PS4 to be second coming of Jesus .
All Sony did was said it going best consoles to play games and for the most part it's true .
Yeah first party games could have been better but most of what they said there were going to do they did.

No, i said the PS2 had those levels.
For the PS4 the internet produced the hype mostly by itself. Sony helped by not being too ambitious with their marketing. They were honest, moderate and more important, likable this time around. Lots of things are selling the PS4, but as eurogamer agrees, it´s not the games that pushed it beyond 10+ million.

Afrocious

QUOTED FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING TRUTH.
1080p, but 30fps last gen ports are all its best games.

I want a PS4, but can't justify a purchase when there is nothing to buy that can't be bought on every other system.

The only made from the ground up games that actually look like next gen games, Killzones, Infamous & Drive Club, were disappointments & considered above average.

XboxOne, for the year its been on the market, at least has Sunset Overdrive & Forza 5.
If I found an XB1 for really cheap, I would buy it just to play those two games.

I'm actually considering trading my PS4 for an Xbox One for MCC, SO, and D4. The console I have my eye on comes with MCC and Shadow of Mordor (which i haven't played).

Arklite

Longer than that...it all started on November 15th, 2001 with the Original Xbox.

More like November 2004. Halo 2 is what made Live matter and it was the compelling Trojan horse that made everyone accept it. Anyway, I'm just glad the services have at least lessened their grip on every single facet of the console's network capabilities. Having to have a sub to use netflix or net browser etc was massive bull.

orochi91

These are all WW numbers.

Even if the XB1 can eventually eliminate the current ~1 million gap the PS4 has in the US, it will always remain close in NA.

XB1 won't enjoy market domination in the US like the 360 had.

These are all WW numbers.

Even if the XB1 can eventually eliminate the current ~1 million gap the PS4 has in the US, it will always remain close in NA.

XB1 won't enjoy market domination in the US like the 360 had.

okay. well with that being said. it almost sounds like it is safe to say the Ps4 has already won the 8th generation...

No, i said the PS2 had those levels.
For the PS4 the internet produced the hype mostly by itself. Sony helped by not being too ambitious with their marketing. They were honest, moderate and more important, likable this time around. Lots of things are selling the PS4, but as eurogamer agrees, it´s not the games that pushed it beyond 10+ million.

Then what push it past 10 million if not the games as the main reason .
eurogamer like some of gaf seem to think exclusive push systems but no exclusive is going sell more than GTA or COD or FIFA just to name a few.

Well according to wiki it launched November 2002 if you want to be precise .

My point was the one benny made quite well. It wasn't until the 360 that Xbox Live really took off.

Xbox Live on OG was similar to PSN on PS3. It was serviceable but incredibly bare bones. 360 saw it turn into the service we know today...

Duxxy3

It's a small part of why I traded my PS4 for an XB1 back in May. I looked at the next 6-12 months and did not see anything exclusive that I was interested in. There was a lot of XB1 titles I was interested in.

The biggest reason I did the trade was because I simply don't like the dualshock 4. No graphical difference could make up for that.

Then what push it past 10 million if not the games as the main reason .
eurogamer like some of gaf seem to think exclusive push systems but no exclusive is going sell more than GTA or COD or FIFA just to name a few.

Brand, image, the promise of value, the promise of future games. The promise of being a cool dude with the latest maturestation under your TV.

Or Knack.

onQ123

Seems crazy but if the Xbox One price go back up after Christmas as planned & PS4 has a real price drop next year. I think it would be safe to say it could come close to a 20 million lead after next Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom