• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who needs games: PlayStation 4's first year [EUROGAMER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an utter load of nonsense - I expect more from euro gamer.

I've been playing games all year on mine. Either exclusives, or the best versions of multi-platforms. That's why I bought it.

Yea I don't get this either. I'm loving CoD:AW, BF4, Diablo 3, TLoU:Remastered, Transistor is my GOTY so far, and GTA V and Dragon Age are otw (along with Driveclub PS+ soon).

Love my PS4, love my Wii U, too. Good time to be a gamer.

prwxv3

Late 2015 is good, but there's next to nothing the first half of the year

To be fair they could have things planned and I think they have some indie games out early next year. But personally I really hope they don't do a repeat of this year where they barely released any games during the non-holiday part of the year. doing that every year would be awful.

Hilarious but expected.

Sony killed it for the last five years while the 360 stumbled along for its final FIVE years and the media stood idling by waiting... Then Sony has a "weak" year and the media jumps on them.

I guess you gotta get these articles in while you can.

It's sad that Sony consoles always have this pressure to deliver a "killer app", each exclusive always being judged as whether its finally the one that justifies an entire console ignoring everything that came before it. Comparatively, each game on the bone just adds to it's collective library. Nothing to prove and the weight of the world not resting on its shoulders.

Sad. But expected.

To be fair they could have things planned and I think they have some indie games out early next year. But personally I really hope they don't do a repeat of this year where they barely released any games during the non-holiday part of the year. doing that every year would be awful.

The sentiment appears to be that independant games don't count towards having any games though if Eurogamer and fans of the article are going to be consistent then I forsee a tremendous reversal of fortunes on this argument come next year.

Bgamer90

Banned
How do we know this? See, this argument only makes The Order not a terrible game either. But a lot of people here will let you know that it isn't "Real Games".

Not sure I understand what you mean.

If you are saying "how do we know this?" in terms of there being more coming in 2015 outside of Quantum Break and Halo 5, Phil Spencer pretty much stated it. On top of this, MS has a trend of announcing a few games at (or around) E3 that come out during the Fall of the same year (whether retail or digital).

Ishan

This article seems like clickbait from the title to how he starts if super negative then says some really positive stuff to again negative . Doesn't seem like a well written piece . Especially if this guy is the new editor in chief. The article makes some valid points tho. But the writing is essentially clickbait .

Afrocious

The funny thing here is I'm wondering if I should trade in my PS4 today for an Xbox One that comes with MCC and Shadows of Mordor.

The PS4 has ultimately been a disappointment for me considering if I did play indie titles, I'd play them on my PC.

I sure do want Bloodborne though.

Mr Moose

If you are saying "how do we know this" in terms of there being more coming in 2015 outside of Quantum Break and Halo 5, Phil Spencer pretty much stated it. On top of this, MS has a trend of announcing a few games at (or around) E3 that come out during the Fall of the same year (whether retail or digital).

How do you know they won't be terrible.

ironcreed

Banned
Look at Mr. money-for-pants over here. Some of us have money for only one console, it's a difficult choice so we have to base our identities and dedicate hours a day defending our purchases.

Pardon? I was simply making the point that it's early yet and some great games are on the way for PS4 and that is why I am not worried about it. But of course I realize that some folks will only be buying one system and I never argued otherwise. I wish them the best in making an informed decision based on what works for them and when.

Killzone - Titanfall
Knack - Ryse
Killer instinct - guilty gear
Infamous - sunset overdrive
Halo - the last of us
Project spark - little big planet
Forza - drive club
Tons of indies - what's an indie?
War thunder - ?????
DC universe - ?????
Black light - ????
FFXIV - ????

Well there goes that argument

Wait what's your argument? That killzone is better than titanfall or infamous is better than SO or just that both systems have comparable games?

I'm a Sony lifer that only has an X1 right now but I think it's fair to say X1 has had a better year but Sony will have a better spring and probably a better 2015. People get so up in arms. X1 has better exclusives at the moment but ps4 is gonna have a great spring. It is what it is.

Griss

The one good thing that will hopefully come out of this launch, this gen and this article is an understanding among enthusiast gamers that

1. Exclusives don't matter compared to the huge multi-plats that top charts every year, and,
2. The most powerful console CAN win, and power IS important if it can give you an advantage with the aforementioned multiplats.

I'll tell ya, if MS ever makes another console for this same segment of customers, there's no way they won't take the graphical power of the console lightly. You just can't afford to have the perception out there that 'multiplats are better on the competitor's box'. It's poison.

delSai

Wait what's your argument? That killzone is better than titanfall or infamous is better than SO or just that both systems have comparable games?

I'm a Sony lifer that only has an X1 right now but I think it's fair to say X1 has had a better year but Sony will have a better spring and probably a better 2015. People get so up in arms. X1 has better exclusives at the moment but ps4 is gonna have a great spring. It is what it is.

Pretty sure he means the bolded.

And what was the point of that list? "B-b-but Xbox!!" The article is about the PS4's first year.

The point of the list was to highlight the hypocrisy of the article itself and people who continue to spit the same factually incorrect rhetoric to perpetuate a myth that Sony platforms have no games. It's been going on since PS3 and continues during the launch year of the Playstation 4.

Hilarious but expected.

Sony killed it for the last five years while the 360 stumbled along for its final FIVE years and the media stood idling by waiting... Then Sony has a "weak" year and the media jumps on them.

I guess you gotta get these articles in while you can.

It's sad that Sony consoles always have this pressure to deliver a "killer app", each exclusive always being judged as whether its finally the one that justifies an entire console ignoring everything that came before it. Comparatively, each game on the bone just adds to it's collective library. Nothing to prove and the weight of the world not resting on its shoulders.

Sad. But expected.

Made all the sadder when it obviously doesn't need a killer app. I truly believe articles like this do show the writers true colors.

Sales numbers speak for themselves. People are happy and buying the console in droves, and this will continue into the Holiday.

Continuing to try to make this narrative happen is so entertaining. Going by some people's logic about this, Nintendo should be selling out on wii Us given the strength of their exclusives

This article kind of feels like GAF -> internet -> GAF. It's as if Eurogamer picked up on the "PS4 haz no gaems" schtick coming from the fanbot warriors, accepted it as common opinion and wrote an article based on it.

Bgamer90

Banned
How do you know they won't be terrible.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Same could be said for every console... How do we know that the 2015 PS4 games won't be terrible? I mean, that alone could shut down almost every post in this thread stating that 2015 looks to be a much better year for the PS4 in terms of games.

We obviously don't know quality for sure yet but we can say/assume that the planned output seems solid.

Ateron

I guess if they repeat the same thing too many times you can actually believe it.
In a world where only exclusives matter, maybe they would have a point, but it's not the case. Most games sold are, of course, multiplatform, so of course the consumers will be more than happy to pay less for better versions 90% of the time.

They keep assuming that multiplat games don't matter, like they exist in a vaccum or something. MS is getting their act together because they're the ones that fucked up, not Sony. A few good exclusives got bumped back to 2015 (or were planned to release in 2015 from the get go) can be frustrating, but if that allows them to polish them up instead of releasing broken games (DriveClub is the exception here, sadly) all the better.

2015 is going to be insane, wallets will cry. I don't remember having a better console first year when I got the ps3. I don't know what's with this fixation that ps4 "has no games" when in fact it has more than the x1. Seems like they're really trying to downplay the ps4, since the mass consumer is showing every month that they prefer it. Imagine if it had games, how much more would it sell!

Mr Moose

I'm not sure I understand your point. Same could be said for every console... How do we know that the 2015 PS4 games won't be terrible? I mean, that alone could shut down almost every post in this trend stating that 2015 looks to be a much better year for the PS4 in terms of games.

We obviously don't know quality for sure yet but we can say/assume that the output seems solid.

I think that's the point they were making, how do you know Halo 5 and so on won't be terrible.

If you are saying "how do we know this" in terms of there being more coming in 2015 outside of Quantum Break and Halo 5, Phil Spencer pretty much stated it. On top of this, MS has a trend of announcing a few games at (or around) E3 that come out during the Fall of the same year (whether retail or digital).

I'm talking about the guarantee that Quantum Break and Halo 5 are not "Terrible".

Scalebound, Gears, Crackdown, Tomb Raider and Phantom Dust obviously don't have release dates yet but I understand that.

Ishan

And lbp is superior to project spark and tlou > halo mcc but forza > drive club . Individual matchups differ but the point is sony has released games . But I agree it's been a markedly better year for ms from an aaa perspective but this narrative of sony having no games is misportrayed in the article . I think sony is missing those high profile exclusives tho. 2015 hopefully is better

Robcat

Banned
I'm definitely a little disappointed in the first year. I thought the would be a lot more games this year especially when they said there will be over 100 games the first year. I didn't think that a lot of them were available on ps3 as well. I ended up selling my ps4 but I will buy it again when some more AAA games come out or if there is a really good deal.

I think the PS4's current line-up is awful too, but that's why I haven't bought one yet. Only console worth owning until Bloodborne, Ys, and Deep Down come out is the WiiU.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm talking about the guarantee that Quantum Break and Halo 5 are not "Terrible".

Scalebound, Gears, Crackdown, Tomb Raider and Phantom Dust obviously don't have release dates yet but I understand that.

I see now. I meant "not terrible" simply in terms of the planned lineup -- not game quality.

I think the PS4's lineup for 2015 is pretty solid too though I'm only interested in The Order and Uncharted 4 right now. Those games could very well end up being disappointing for whatever reason(s). I would like to not think that way though (at least not yet).

Ishan

Zero doubt tho sony has dropped the ball on aaa exclusives. And case in point is sonys own outline

1) ssm game cancelled. Huge project
2) order was supposed to be 2014 delayed
3) drive club messing up

That's 3 aaa games sony was banking on for its first year which ended up not working out . If those were out sony would be matching/beating ms on the aaa space too . Sony did mess up year on on that aspect as a result of those 3 .

Zero doubt tho sony has dropped the ball on aaa exclusives. And case in point is sonys own outline

1) ssm game cancelled. Huge project
2) order was supposed to be 2014 delayed
3) drive club messing up

That's 3 aaa games sony was banking on for its first year which ended up not working out . If those were out sony would be matching/beating ms on the aaa space too . Sony did mess up year on on that aspect as a result of those 3 .

SSM game was never 2014. Where the heck are you getting that from?

And lbp is superior to project spark and tlou > halo mcc but forza > drive club . Individual matchups differ but the point is sony has released games . But I agree it's been a markedly better year for ms from an aaa perspective but this narrative of sony having no games is misportrayed in the article . I think sony is missing those high profile exclusives tho. 2015 hopefully is better

but LBP hasn't been released...

JJD

I don't think it helps that third parties have been so boring lately. I bought a PS4, and I think it was a waste of money for "the best console version" of the sixth installments of the same games I have been playing with pretty similar quality.

I'm sure the PS4 will end up with an expansive library of great games. Just don't think it's worth owning now, despite how well it's selling - which I think is what the article was observing.

Well I can't really argue with you there. If you have no interest in third parties and the current lineup of PS4 exclusives then I agree that buying one was a waste of money for you, but let's not generalize. For me the PS4 was worth it for a single third party game considering I have almost 500 hours of playtime on BF4. I could have played it on PS3 but I just can't go back now considering the differences. I don't agree you can really measure the overall worthiness of a platform based on personal preference. Everyone is going to have a different opinion, it was worth for some, for others not.

People that try to make the argument that you could play most of the PS4 games on the PS3 and have a good time should play the 360 version of Forza Horizon 2 exclusively instead of the Xbone version and try to say the same thing with a straight face.

FH2 isn't even a real open world game on the 360. There are games out there were the current gen version is just an improvement on resolution and framerate. Others offer significant features over the last gen versions like BF4, Mordor and FH2.

And to be honest, just the improvement in resolution and framerate is worth it for me .

EGM1966

Uh, what? It's objective data. If I take a poll of political views in the US, the data that I obtain is objective. It's a number. Each person's political view? Subjective.

And of course you can play with the numbers. My argument isn't that one game was better than the other. My argument was that someone took issue with sales numbers when another countered a statement about "best" games. Best game is subjective. I can say that Burger King's Sneak King was the best game ever. And that would be a perfectly fine statement owing to it's subjective nature. I can't say Burger King sold the most games, or has the highest Metacritic rating.
Let me clarify. My point is the metacritic data can't be treated as objective data. It objectively exists but cannot be properly used as objective data (not that many use it as if it is nonetheless).

Why?

If I poll with a clear criteria - such as will you vote Obama Y/N/Don't know - I can tabulate and compare : for example 45% of those polled said Y.

The issue with Metacritic is the method for calculating their number is not fully disclosed (how did they get to 85% for example?) and the data source is a series of unrelated arbitrary scores with no clear methodology between them.

Now yes, we do objectively have metacritic scores - which re-reading your post is part of your statement and I agree we do - but can we use them? I'd argue no. The data isn't trustworthy and while you could say PS4 has more titles with over 90% score objectively you can't, in my view, take that to mean PS4 objectively has better games because the data itself isn't reliable.

For myself only testable objective numbers can be used for comparison - for example I can say PS4 is more popular than XB1 globally without fear of contradiction (well contradiction that would hold water).

I can't say it has better games due to metacritic with a straight face because the data isn't truly objective and it's easy to tear it apart with analysis rendering any conclusions based on it moot.

vesvci

Banned
A single message from Call of Duty: Ghosts producer Mark Rubin, confirming that the game would run at a higher resolution on PS4, told a story that Microsoft is fighting to counter to this day: multi-platform games are better on PlayStation.

Well, the superior version of multi-platform games found on the PS4 definitely helped. Personally, the PS4 feels more like a gaming console than the XBO. It's to the point...concise.

The XBO on the other hand, it has a different feel to it, for me at least. It's a good console, but it's lacking something, cant put my finger to it.

It's not just about the first-party games, it's the whole package. Consumers are very well-informed nowadays.

I see now. I meant "not terrible" simply in terms of the planned lineup -- not game quality.

I think the PS4's lineup for 2015 is pretty solid too though I'm only interested in The Order and Uncharted 4 right now. Those games could very well end up being disappointing for whatever reason(s). I would like to not think that way though (at least not yet).

Why would those game be disappointing for whatever reason but Xbox Exclusive never have that hint of doubt? I don't understand this.

I have no doubt they won't be good. Then again I really have no bias when it comes to games. I play everything so, I'll try everything whether it's good to others and bad to some.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

His argument is you have to narrowly define games for XB1 to have more. I don't know what exactly what that metric is, maybe console only retail releases? The PS4 has more games, period. It has as many retail release, more indies and more F2P. Then you can sprinkle in all the cross-buy PS3 ports which are superior on the PS4.

MS also has the nasty habit of losing "exclusives" by lying about the timed aspect. I can now buy Ryse and DR3 on the PC and recently bought Titanfall for $10. Its not hard to imagine Sunset Overdrive on the PC in March. So why buy a XB1 exactly, where are all these games I can't play anywhere else?

farisr

For me it's been a decent year for ps4 exclusives, they appealed to me more than the xbone's, which is why I didn't get an xbone until last week.

Knack on Hard + 2 player co-op was tons of fun. On that difficulty, it was like a Lego game that requires more skill (and had some good boss fights as well), had deeper combat mechanics than expected. Really underrated game, I feel if they hadn't released it at launch it may have reviewed a little better.

Resogun was solid, and it was free with PS Plus.

KZ SF MP was fun, couldn't get through the SP though the graphics were gorgeous.

inFAMOUS Second Son - good, only the side missions were weak imo. The main story missions, the actual gameplay (powers, combat, traversal), the graphics, the music all lead to a good game.

The Last Of Us Remastered - Better version of one of the best games last gen, yes please.

Driveclub - Okay. I was mainly interested in playing this game offline and am not a big fan of open world racers. Like the gameplay, like the graphics environments daynight cycles etc. Sucks that they made certain cars unlockable only via clubs, so even though I want to play offline, the online problems they are having actually affect my experience with the game. Otherwise it would've been good. Due to free ongoing support my opinion could change.

These are just the exclusive that interested me, there are other exclusive games I didn't mention simply because this is my list of exclusive games that I liked in the first year of the ps4 Seems like a solid list to me.

NotLiquid

PS4 has easily paid its dues as far as setting up the premise of a quality machine for everyone but the lack of any real must-haves as supplements which can't already be achieved on a good PC makes me inclined to agree with Eurogamer. I feel like all the games coming out right now are good if you're a person who's already been sold on the premise of the console and own one, but speaking as an outsider who never got caught in the launch window hype train I find zero value in actually owning one right now. The only game I feel slightly interested in owning is Bloodborne but I'm not really that big of a Souls fan, and getting a console for just one game is rarely worth it.

TyrantII

There's no point in them listing indies when mobile and PC already dominate that space to such a degree it makes the system irrelevant in that space.

youre_serious_futurama.gif

I have a friend that dabbles in other games towards the ends of the gaming year (June-Aug), but chiefly only plays COD and Madden (yup, one of those gamers). He found Don't Starve and has been hooked all year on it.

There's plenty of people who don't game on mobile, or are not into the PC hobby. What is amusing is people that can't wrap their mind around the huge Indy push being a huge plus that is expanding their market and appeal.

Not even getting the pluses of creating a viable console marketplace and history of support for the next generation or big game devs and creators.

StuBurns

Banned
His argument is you have to narrowly define games for XB1 to have more. I don't know what exactly what that metric is, maybe console only retail releases? The PS4 has more games, period. It has as many retail release, more indies and more F2P. Then you can sprinkle in all the cross-buy PS3 ports which are superior on the PS4.

MS also has the nasty habit of losing "exclusives" by lying about the timed aspect. I can now buy Ryse and DR3 on the PC and recently bought Titanfall for $10. Its not hard to imagine Sunset Overdrive on the PC in March. So why buy a XB1 exactly, where are all these games I can't play anywhere else?

All is an exaggeration. There will be XBO exclusives you will never see come to PC.

It is going to be tough for MS to sell me an XBO at this point. The only value they have to me would be the real exclusives they have, the only upcoming announced one I can imagine wanting is Scalebound, which isn't likely to be worth £300 to me, but you never know.

I certainly prefer the Sony concept of an exclusive not being on PC, it gives me greater need to buy the console.

Jamix012

Thats your opinion TLOU remastered is still the best rated game of the year with your Halo:redeemed edition 0.5 points behind.

It's not really an exclusive. The highest rated PS4 exclusive this year clocks in at a sweet 80 on Metacritic. You're allowed to be happy with your PS4, no doubt, but don't shit the bed when there's clear reasons for others to be disappointed with the machine.

The point of the list was to highlight the hypocrisy of the article itself and people who continue to spit the same factually incorrect rhetoric to perpetuate a myth that Sony platforms have no games. It's been going on since PS3 and continues during the launch year of the Playstation 4.

You actually believe there's some sort of...for lack of a better word, conspiracy? No, some people are just kinda underwhelmed by the PS4.

Arklite

Eh, the article has far more of a negative POV to it but I'm not surprised since Sony's Killzone and InFamous have always been more fan favorites, and that leaves their new AAA offerings down to Knack and DriveClub for consideration. Not the brightest picture, but then overall I think it's been a solid and surprisingly varied year for third party offerings.

It's not really an exclusive. The highest rated PS4 exclusive this year clocks in at a sweet 80 on Metacritic. You're allowed to be happy with your PS4, no doubt, but don't shit the bed when there's clear reasons for others to be disappointed with the machine.

You actually believe there's some sort of...for lack of a better word, conspiracy? No, some people are just kinda underwhelmed by the PS4.

And I've no issue with people saying they personally didn't like the lineup.

It's when the spin begins and they try pushing this narrative as something that actually matters that peeves me.

Poor PS4 owners with zero games to play and who can only stare at a blank screen while fondling their controller or use their console as a netflix box.

And don't even think about bringing up third party games, indies, sports games or games that score below 80 on Metacritic. Everyone knows those aren't real games.

I've been saying the PS4 had no games since 6 months ago. Then again I'm not a fan of sports games, throwaway shooters and EA racing so that leaves me with indies/smaller games and Infamous

The animosity towards Sony from the anglo-saxon press has been tremendous ever since the PS2 dominated the market. Is it a case of cheering for the home player? Seriously, every issue that plagued MS was -and is, in some cases- obfuscated, while ever misstep of Sony lends itself to a formidable scrutiny.
Because by telling us there are no games on the PS4 it suggests there are more games on the XB1. I haven't seen one article about 'no games' for the XB1 and yet it has less games than the PS4.

afaik you guys are making stuff up because that's not what this is. I don't see how you found it so easy to fit this pretty isolated article into your narrative and strange dichotomy

check this out right there in the article

"(We'll write a similar report card for Xbox One's first anniversary next week.)"

this article isn't about Xbox even? so where the shit are you coming from?

what am I even doing in here? 22 pages? Jesus christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom