• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who needs games: PlayStation 4's first year [EUROGAMER]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
There is no denying that PS4 has been a disappointment, in relation to the insane levels of hype and excitement in its early days. Destiny was a massive disappointment, Drive Club suffered huge delays and a horribly bungled launch, Knack and Killzone were lackluster.

I'm sure PS4 will hit its stride eventually. But for right now the best reason to own a PS4 is if you want the best console version of multiplatform games (most of which are better on PC anyway).

I own all 3 current-gen consoles plus 3DS and a PC. PS4 was easily my least played system over the last year.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Well, the superior version of multi-platform games found on the PS4 definitely helped. Personally, the PS4 feels more like a gaming console than the XBO. It's to the point...concise.

The XBO on the other hand, it has a different feel to it, for me at least. It's a good console, but it's lacking something, cant put my finger to it.

It's not just about the first-party games, it's the whole package. Consumers are very well-informed nowadays.

afa consumers being well-informed, i agree. less disposable income does that to people. a console becomes more an investment than an impulse buy...

Kezen

Banned
I agree with the piece mostly. As a PS4 owner since November 2013 I can count on one hand the number of games I've played on it.
Extremely disappointed by the exclusives so far. Only The Order and the next Uncharted are slightly picking my interest. I expected much, much better than that even for the first year.

And given that I have a PC for superior multiplats the PS4 is gathering dust right now.
I had a decent time with Knack and Infamous but they have not left a strong impression notwithstanding. Average games IMO, Shadow Fall was downright mediocre, what a letdown considering I liked Killzone 2 and 3.

If 2015 is not drastically better in terms of exclusive output I'll sell the PS4.

You actually believe there's some sort of...for lack of a better word, conspiracy? No, some people are just kinda underwhelmed by the PS4.

Who said anything about a conspiracy? I'm just saying people keep spitting out the same incorrect stuff as facts rather than opinions.

It's not really an exclusive. The highest rated PS4 exclusive this year clocks in at a sweet 80 on Metacritic. You're allowed to be happy with your PS4, no doubt, but don't shit the bed when there's clear reasons for others to be disappointed with the machine.

You actually believe there's some sort of...for lack of a better word, conspiracy? No, some people are just kinda underwhelmed by the PS4.

Then it's not that the system didn't do it's job, it's that people have taste and of those, they were disappointed. Sony as a whole delivered the games and rightfully so. It's not fair to say, they don't have games when essentially it's "Games I didn't like".

The general consensus that everyone I believe is arguing is the general nature that Sony did deliver on "Games". As for what others did and did not like, that's totally subjective and completely reasonable if they are disappointed by what they did not like.

"Why are they singling out PS4"? Because you didn't read the article. "Do they not realize Xbox doesn't have games neither?" Read the article. "Xbox Xbox Xbox Xbox Xbox Xbox Xbox Xbox hehehehehehe"

"(We'll write a similar report card for Xbox One's first anniversary next week.)"
"(We'll write a similar report card for Xbox One's first anniversary next week.)"

"...but why aren't they mentioning Xbox? typical medier with their chemtrails and moon landing bullshit"

Utter crud. Typical media can't stand to see PS4 do well.

Fucking hell, it's like I've stepped into a wormhole and it dropped me back out at Gamefaqs.com

Article reads like someone from a message board wrote it.

Going by the authors logic does the wii u have games but the ps4 doesn't ?

w/detective skills like that you could probably take on the batman

StoopKid

Article reads like someone from a message board wrote it.

Going by the authors logic does the wii u have games but the ps4 doesn't ?

eXistor

I agree. If I wasn't able to get a PS4 on the cheap I would have skipped its first year like I did with the Xbox One. There's just not enough exclusives that interest me to justify buying one right now. PS4'll be fine soon though, just like the Xbox One, so I don't feel it's money wasted.

Astral Dog

First, there are games on PS4, they may not be very good, or be true next gen, but they are there, the first year is always weak, the best thing is to wait a little to buy the system if you arent interested on the games, but clearly this is not the case.

Then, nobody cares, PS4 has the best image and best hardware right now, nobody is going to buy a Wii U for its exclusives anyways, we have to wait more, as next gen games are expensive, The Order and Bloodborne are coming early 2015.

Zia

"Why are they singling out PS4"? Because you didn't read the article. "Do they not realize Xbox doesn't have games neither?" Read the article. "Xbox Xbox Xbox Xbox Xbox Xbox Xbox Xbox hehehehehehe"

"...but why aren't they mentioning Xbox? typical media with their chemtrails and moon landing bullshit"

Fucking hell, it's like I've stepped into a wormhole and it dropped me back out at Gamefaqs.com

w/detective skills like that you could probably take on the batman

Bookmarking this thread for the next time people scream "consumer advocacy" at the top of their lungs because they didn't like the ending of their favorite video game series, or because an online multiplayer game is always-online.

One of Eurogamer's best writers says, "You deserve better," and the response is to spit into his still-open mouth.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Watch the Xbox One article be about how "MS turned the ship around" and how the future is "looking better than ever"

:yawn

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
One of Eurogamer's best writers says, "You deserve better," and the response is to spit into his still-open mouth.
If only Eurogamer's best writer and EIC had the balls to call out Ubisoft like Giant Bomb did. But alas under him AC:Unity got scored safe and then called "in shambles."

If that is the best Eurogamer has to offer, I am not impressed.

StuBurns

Banned
The first year of PS3 was worse imo. First year of Wii U was shit too.

PS4 is gonna hit its stride in 2015 and rock it in 2016.
I'd say Motorstorm, Folklore and Uncharted are better than PS4's exclusives so far. Resistance and R&C were well received too.

yazanov

Banned
Funny because my brother and I are having a blast with our ps4 (that apparently has no games).

The games we bought are:

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
The Last of US remastered
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Destiny
Natural Doctrine

and all the awesome PS+ Freebies

I guess those games "don't count" because they are not exclusives?
Sad times indeed :(

I'm a PS4 owner since September and I can't say I've lacked stuff to play. That being said, I missed out on quite a few games they're remastering so yeah. More worthwhile exclusives like Second Son would be nice and next year looks like it may deliver.

orochi91

Inflammatory.

Yet, absolutely on point.

Questionable decisions by Sony regarding 2013 have compromised the quantity and quality of exclusive titles released in 2014.

Sometimes, I wish this gen had started November 2014 instead of last year because the games and consoles don't feel polished/ready for prime time.

Bookmarking this thread for the next time people scream "consumer advocacy" at the top of their lungs because they didn't like the ending of their favorite video game series, or because an online multiplayer game is always-online.

What does this have to do with consumer advocacy?

To say, "we deserve better" in this manner from their 'best writer' is troublesome to say the least. It's just not a fact to say either system has no games and to try to make a point while basing your whole article on opinion and cherry picking games is never going to achieve your intended goal. It's fanboy rhetoric to say either system this year, has no games.

NeoROCK

It may have been an issue before the summer, but since then there has been…

The Last of Us Remastered
MGS: Ground Zeroes
Destiny
Shadow of Modor
COD-AW
Far Cry 4 in a few days
GTAV in a few days
LBP3 in a few days

By February there will also be:

Bloodborne
Evolve
The Order 1886
The Witcher Wild Hunt

Not bad at all. The biggest problem I've seen with next-gen (and it's not limited to only PS4) is publishers releasing broken games like BF4, AC-Unity, DriveClub, etc.

No one is going to argue that it would've be great if there were more solid PS4 exclusives this year. People are taking issue with the idea that it's all that makes a console. Yes, exclusives are great and they obviously play a role in a consoles success, but they aren't the end all be all as this article is trying to paint things. They aren't the deciding factor in whether or not people are enjoying a console or not. The success of the PS4 isn't a surprise or even hard to understand. It has the best versions of games that most people buy, which are multiplatform titles.

Finally some outlet speaks the true. So far my PS4 has been nothing but a MP machine for certain games and nothing more. Since I have a good rig, most of my games that have SP content I play them all on PC and only buy games on PS4 for sport games and exclusives.

So far the only thing that stops me from selling my PS4 is TLOU:R free cheats MP (as soon as I start seeing cheaters I will just stop with the game like I did on PS3), EA's UFC (which was a surprise) and PES 15.

I guess I am exited about Bloodborne and Persona 5 but I could see why some people (or a lot of people, myself included) could have been burned by the current library on PS4. I guess if you don't have a good PC then having a PS4 makes much more sense.

Between the Xbox One and PS4, I'm always confused why PS4 is the console that gets picked on for having "no games." It could be argued that the Xbox One has a better exclusive lineup, but in reality it's not that much better and for the most part, their libraries are virtually the same.

It´s a nice piece of hardware. Not a technical marvel like the PS3, but still a nicely designed shell with some well chosen parts inside. Unfortunately the levels of hype about it and its creators were well beyond of everything it could deliver on. Sony sold promises. Maybe they will deliver on them, but its taking them a long time. Especially if you have bought a PC during the last 2-3 years(!), there is little to no reason to invest this amount of money into a console and a monthly subscription.

We had a simliar situation with the ps2. The dreamcast stood no chance against all the hype and promises the ps2 got years in advance.

FStop7

Banned
Yeah, for whatever reasons, the PS4 isn't hitting all the notes... Features still missing from the OS, the 2.0.0 "stability" stuff, PSN's seemingly constant problems, platform exclusives like Knack and Driveclub failing to deliver, etc.

I don't regret having bought my PS4, I've gotten a fair number of hours of enjoyment from Destiny, Resogun, Black Flag, etc... but it's not what I was expecting.

I was about to grab an Xbone for Halo MCC and Forza Horizon 2, but seeing all the MCC issues made me delay that until they're resolved.

BokehKing

Banned
There is no denying that PS4 has been a disappointment, in relation to the insane levels of hype and excitement in its early days. Destiny was a massive disappointment, Drive Club suffered huge delays and a horribly bungled launch, Knack and Killzone were lackluster.

I'm sure PS4 will hit its stride eventually. But for right now the best reason to own a PS4 is if you want the best console version of multiplatform games (most of which are better on PC anyway).

I own all 3 current-gen consoles plus 3DS and a PC. PS4 was easily my least played system over the last year.

good thing your word is not final, because then there would be 10 million angry PS4 fans...when there is probably maybe only....50,000 disgruntled ps4 fans

xandaca

The real lesson is the importance of building up a strong head of steam and positive word of mouth in the build-up to a console's release. Nintendo were already facing an uphill struggle after letting the Wii die out and everything about the Wii U in the run up to release was either confusion or off-putting (lack of power, lack of compelling games, messy design philosophy) which unsurprisingly led to the mess Nintendo finds themselves in now. Microsoft had huge amounts of goodwill from the 360, but that only led to them becoming arrogant and exacerbating their natural anti-consumer attitude to a grotesque extreme, forcing a series of about-turns and price cuts. They've been saved this gen by the fact that people liked the 360 and wanted to buy its successor pretty much regardless of anything, but the fact the PS4 has been able to establish such a comfortable lead, mostly off the back of Microsoft's stupidity, is testament to how essential it is to get the build-up right. Sony have largely coasted so far this gen because they haven't had any real competition - the Wii U was a dead duck from the start, the XBox One has relied almost exclusively on blind customer devotion to drive sales for a console which is less powerful, less friendly and, until recently, more expensive.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Who said anything about a conspiracy? I'm just saying people keep spitting out the same incorrect stuff as facts rather than opinions.
But the article doesn't say that PS4 has no games, it says that there's been no truly compelling reasons to upgrade. Yes you get the best versions of multi platforms, but they're games built for PS3 and 360. PS4's 'killer app' is an upgraded port of a PS3 game. Lots of the big next-gen games have been pushed to 2015, or they came out and were half-broken or just boring.

Do these arguments also apply to Xbone? Yes, absolutely. But the perception that Sony's had a pretty lacklustre year is compounded by the fact that they pushed themselves as being #4theplayers, and they've only managed to have an arguably slightly better year than 'sports sports sport TV TV TV kinect kinect' MS.

Between the Xbox One and PS4, I'm always confused why PS4 is the console that gets picked on for having "no games." It could be argued that the Xbox One has a better exclusive lineup, but in reality it's not that much better and for the most part, their libraries are virtually the same.

Maybe its a counterculture thing?

MilesTeg

Banned
It´s a nice piece of hardware. Not a technical marvel like the PS3, but still a nicely designed shell with some well chosen parts inside. Unfortunately the levels of hype about it and its creators were well beyond of everything it could deliver on. Sony sold promises. Maybe they will deliver on them, but its taking them a long time. Especially if you have bought a PC during the last 2-3 years(!), there is little to no reason to invest this amount of money into a console and a monthly subscription.

We had a simliar situation with the ps2. The dreamcast stood no chance against all the hype and promises the ps2 got years in advance.

PS2 had big time exclusives by Holiday 2001, basically it's one year anniversary in the US. GT3, FFX, GTA3, DMC and a bunch more. It was an exclusives beast at that time. The PS2 delivered pretty quick, though it's launch games pretty much sucked and there wasn't much to play the first 6 months, especially if you already had a Dreamcast like me.

PensOwl

Banned

Its mostly because the PS4 is winning. Nobody cares if a console with very few worthy games is selling a third of its competitor because its to be expected. But not having any games and yet still selling a shit ton? That's a story.

This is operating on the assumption that nextgen as a whole has seen paltry lineups though.

StoopKid

But the article doesn't say that PS4 has no games, it says that there's been no truly compelling reasons to upgrade. Yes you get the best versions of multi platforms, but they're games built for PS3 and 360. PS4's 'killer app' is an upgraded port of a PS3 game. Lots of the big next-gen games have been pushed to 2015, or they came out and were half-broken or just boring.

Do these arguments also apply to Xbone? Yes, absolutely. But the perception that Sony's had a pretty lacklustre year is compounded by the fact that they pushed themselves as being #4theplayers, and they've only managed to have an arguably slightly better year than 'sports sports sport TV TV TV kinect kinect' MS.

The consumer has spoken they don't give a fuck if a game is on PS3 also.

Can you tell me what promises PS4 was build other than it going be good place to play games.

Only perception problem is message board users and some of the gaming press feel what they think matter most don't and reality hit them in the face .

cafemomo

eh. it could use a bit more games. it's nothing but a FIFA and TR/SD remaster machine for me
vp3SEwu.jpg
9BUd3az.jpg

Biker19

Banned
I don't know why people seem to just ignore how Sony was for all intents and purposes the only 1st party pub putting out games in the last year of last gen and also ignore how they have a great lineup of a bunch of games for 2015 while the competition doesn't seem to have anything until Holiday 15.

Simple: Biasedness from the gaming media (mostly from the U.S. & the UK).

Probably because the PS3 was the GOAT no gaems machine and it's still (imo) one of the funnier and more enduring console wars memes so ofc people want to apply it to this latest round of hardware.

With that said I don't actually think PS4 is the only console this complaint is lobbied against.

It's worth nothing that within the article the writer states he'll be making another article like this for the Xbox's first birthday.

Simple: Biasedness from the gaming media.

lol fuck

you... aren't even trying

It's worth nothing that within the article the writer states he'll be making another article like this for the Xbox's first birthday.

And he's already pointed out that Sony's "opponent has got its act together", so it's not hard to figure out how that one is going to go.

Innolis

Wow...those eurogamer guys are pissed...I honestly dont understand where all the hate is coming from. I absolutely love my PS4. I've spent hours upon hours with it and I dont see myself getting bored anytime soon.

I also dont get where all the "dissapointment" is coming from...almost every console every generation has had a week lineup the first year, they pick up later. And tbh, if there's someone who deserves the benefit of the doubt in regards to exclusive games, its sony.

Also: Fuck yeah, GGX next month!

It's seriously concerning to me that this article get posted and all people can think to do is frame it as console wars fuel for crazytown opinions about company bias in games journalism.

If you read the article you can see which way the wind is blowing, I'll be surprised if I'm wrong.

And he's already pointed out that Sony's "opponent has got its act together", so it's not hard to figure out how that one is going to go.

I mean, there might be some context to that statement you're not considering.

Like Microsofts initial mountain of self-imposed Xbox struggles and how they've been able to effectively sidestep most of them. I don't think saying 'they've got their act together' implies that they're doing a better job than Sony. I think it implies that they're doing a better job than they were originally doing themselves and therefore aren't as irellevant to Sony's potential success with PS4 anymore. Or in other words, they're basically saying "you ought to shape up now that your competition isn't an arguably shittier value anymore"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom