• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who needs games: PlayStation 4's first year [EUROGAMER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is too many games on PS4 is on like 4 other things

Problem for fanboys, yes. How many of the 30 million that bought GTA V last year care that it can be played on more than one console? How many people will care that the latest FIFA can be played on an iPad or still on a PS2 (specifically last year). You can take a look at the npd or pal charts for the answers.

This thread will at least accomplish one goal. Prove to console warriors how small their POV really is in comparison to reality.

Fdkn

Ryse (also on pc)
Killer Instinct
Forza 5
Forza Horizon 2 (also on 360)
Titanfall (also on 360 and pc)
Plants vs Zombies (also on ps4 and pc)
Halo MCC (remaster) *when it works*
Sunset Overdrive

You are lacking some annotations that you did add to the other list. I'll help you this time

I'm not even going to point games missing in both list because I'd like to think you only listed the ones you like or are curious about.

I have both systems and I have to agree with Eurogamer. I think people just shit on Microsoft because of the weaker hardware and wrong policies, which have been fixed properly. In terms of quality exclusives, the Xone takes the lead offering stronger titles in different genres compared with the ps4

fighting games= Xone Killer instinct
Action adventure games = Xone Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive
Racing = Forza 5 and Horizon
Multiplayer Garden Warfare (it's on ps4 now but was too a while)
FPS Titanfall

PS4 exclusives were good but not as strong as Xone, I think 2015 will be much better for the ps4 with Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, The Order and etc

Well it comes down to the exclusives, OS, friends and ecosystems you prefer.

I traded in my PS4 towards an Xbox One because of the criteria listed above.

Ryse (playable on PC)
Killer Instinct
Forza 5
Forza Horizon 2 (playable on XB360)
Titanfall (PC)
Plants vs Zombies (PS4)
Halo MCC (remaster) *when it works*
Sunset Overdrive

All in one year. Games you can't get on the PS4. For comparison sake

Knack
Killzone Shadowfall
Infamous Second Son
Resogun (soon for Vita)
The Last of Us Remastered (remaster)
Driveclub *when it works*
Some exclusive Destiny Raids
LittleBigPlanet 3 (also playable on PS3)

But let's be fair here. Sony is the only one of the big three that had first party games release up until 2013 whereas microsoft and nintendo abandoned ship after holiday 2011.
FTFY.
3 (4 counting MCC) of those XB1 games can't be played on PC nor PS4.
5 (6 counting TLOU) of those PS4 games can't be played on PC or XB1.

kinggroin

Banned
PS4 is a beast of a platform to own if you don't want to bother with a PC. That's how I see it.

I own a good PC, the Bone has exclusives I enjoy more, and the Wii U is god console as far as exclusives go. Those work to compliment each other.

The PS4 is probably the most well rounded. Maybe not winning first in anything, but never being lower than second.

Abdiel

This article feels so out of touch with the realities of the market. Maybe it is what resonates with some of the more jaded aspects of the hardcore community, but when you look at who is buying these systems and the software at large... It's just laughably inaccurate.

Exclusives don't determine a console's value to the massive chunk of the market. They are added enticement to the priority, which is the big third party titles. And for that huge chunk of the market, the PS4 has represented the best place to get access to those, and the snowball effect has been in full... effect. Purely from a retail perspective, the games available to customers that are the "system sellers" are the ones that you have options on where to get it. People are buying them on the new systems, and even buying the new systems at all, to find the best versions, the prettiest versions, the ones with the new features and wow-factor.

Not only that, but I feel like this article also goes out of its way to emphasize situations that had a limited scope for actual negative impact. Our district of stores has sold thousands of new systems in the last year. Do you know how many people came in with issues on the DS4 analog rubber issues? A handful. A very small percentage. It just feels very silly. Software is selling definitively best on the current gen consoles, and most of the time, those games are selling best (bundles included) on the PS4.

The people in this thread arguing that he's right are also missing the point, because perhaps you're just in that same mindset, doesn't mean the market agrees, let alone would say the article has any merit at all.

Mugatu

Well I have to agree with the author, that's why I sold my PS4 as well, it just sat there, I rarely even turned it on.

However, he should not be speaking for everyone. I know there are plenty of games that just don't appeal to me. That's my problem, not necessarily the platform's.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ok I'll bite.

Driveclub gameplay gets compared to PGR a lot. For good reason. The game has issues. Gameplay is not one of them.

Infamous. Name me another game like it that isn't prototype. Graphics? The game has amazing gameplay. It's issue lies in how quick you can finish it and the lack of diversity in the secondary missions.

The order? It has terrific gameplay. I played it last week at Lisbon games week. Had 0 issues with the thermite gun that those drooling baboons who call themselves video game journalists did.
Fire a shot with r1. Ignite it with r2 and keeping shooting in the vicinity to use the weapon. This game is sorely missing multiplayer.

Great gameplay, yet fail to mention anything that's actually notable about said gameplay. You guys aren't helping your case. Whenever I:SS is mentioned it's almost always about graphics, not it's mechanics, content or systems. The response the Driveclubs gameplay is middling, I don't need to mention Killzone etc.

I'll hold off on the order since it's not out but you see my point..

If these games are not as mediocre like your implying people should be finding it easier to state notable things about said games that set them apart, and yet almost every time I hear one of these games come up the it's almost always about the graphics. That's why I said the graphics are the only notable things about these games.

Great gameplay, yet fail to mention anything that's actually notable about said gameplay. You guys aren't helping your case. Whenever I:SS is mentioned it's almost always about graphics, not it's mechanics, content or systems. The response the Driveclubs gameplay is middling, I don't need to mention Killzone etc.

If these games are not as mediocre like your implying people should be finding it easier to state notable things about said games that set them apart, and yet almost every time I hear one of these games come up the it's almost always about the graphics. That's why I said the graphics are the only notable things about these games.
Jesus.

The idea that the media is somehow biased against Sony or the PS4 is delusional. I can't even fathom how one would come to that conclusion.

I haven't turned mine on in more than a month

Xbox has sunset overdrive and halo at the moment....sony's definitely lacking on exclusives

I think I should have went pcxboxone instead of pc/ps4

But of course naughty dog and Santa Monica will change that next year

The idea that the media is somehow biased against Sony or the PS4 is delusional. I can't even fathom how one would come to that conclusion.
I don't know, man. There was a lot of hand waving about the DRM stuff prior to the consoles release, leading to the birth of SonyToo. There was also lots of downplaying of the PS4's sales initially (like the infamous Ars article). I would say that as a whole MS got off a lot easier with mainstream gaming media than Sony did in the PS3 days.

joke post?

Duxxy3

We have yet to see the Xbox one article ya know. Before everyone starts bashing Eurogamer, maybe you should wait to see what they say about the other system. Its not all green grass and roses on that side of the fence either.

Loudninja

Wait why is the burden of poof on him and not you?

Maybe you should read though the OT of InFamous.

Drift challenges in Driveclub. Graphics don't even matter when you are trying to beat the high score. I was number 1 for my car/track combo at one point. Graphically impressive, takes away all the fluff a lot of racing games have added over the years to appeal to god knows who and provides a solid racing experience because of it. Driveclub has become like Gran Turismo for me, in that one car/one track/drift challenge has been how I have spent the majority of my time with it.

Killzone is a fantastic game because, like the other Killzone games, the guns are really satisfying to shoot. The game ends far too quickly, like it should have had another chapter or two. Especially on harder difficulties, Killzone provides good challenge and good AI and really puts you under pressure. I don't find any shooter to be particularly worthy of praise, but Killzone does shooting as competently as you'll find. The MP is hectic and continues to be the best part of the series.

inFamous is inFamous. A slow start that becomes amazing once you unlock the infinite neon run ability. Running up buildings, leaping through the air. It provides a rush that really made me forget about even doing the missions, just racing around and fighting enemies. I don't "platinum" games based on their graphics.

Xbox has sunset overdrive and halo at the moment....sony's definitely lacking on exclusives

Sony has the same amount but they were just spread threw the year.

Nanashrew

Banned
This isn't "Microsoft vs. Sony," this is just about PS4's first year.

It's very, very difficult to argue with Eurogamer's conclusion that if you hadn't bought a PS4 this year you could easily have had just as good a time playing the same games on PS3.

Right. It's the end of the first year so these kinds of articles are going to start rolling out for both consoles for those still on the fence. The Wii U had these articles already and I'm sure it will get an article for its second year for anyone still on the fence.

I like a thing. Wait, that person doesn't like a thing?! OMG THEIR BIASED!!!

I really still can't understand how people aren't agreeing with the article. First it's not comparing the PS4 to the One, so half the posts in this thread are irrelevant immediately. Then you've got the fact that it actually says the PS4 is a great system but it's just lacking in games that you can't play elsewhere. It's literally the truth, however you look at it.

Then you've got other people in this thread going "well who cares, exclusives don't sell consoles!" which, if they'd bothered to read the article before raving about how biased Eurogamer are, they'd see that it actually says that.

Bizarre, really.

Superman0

Yeah it is so lacking that it has Infamous, Knack, Killzone, and Drive Club. The game may not appeal to you but don't act like they don't exist. The PS4 has the same amount or more exclusive than the XBONE, so this Eurogame article is hyperbolic nonsense. The only console with more exclusives is the Wii U.

This is getting ridiculous.

This thread has brought out the worst of everybody's inner fanboy.
Both consoles have had a relatively weak year, but both have plenty of games to play.

Oersted

Well, Playstation first years are barely good. Vita was an exception, which deserved better.

Brand attachment to your Sony/Nintendo/MS/Gamer identity, that these companies created. That makes you feel that the media works like a monolith, where everyone is thinking the same, acting the same. It was the fuel for Gamergate.

Superman0

There are a ton of game on my ps4. I don't get it?

Didn't you get the memo, games that you don't like and is on the opposing console don't exist. Therefore, your console of your choice has the most game and the opposing console doesn't have any games. QED.

Not all media of course, however you can almost be certain that if Microsoft had released the superior-specced console things like 'Resolutiongate' would never have even been a thing.

But the consumers don't care.

Just look at npds.

So they don't count. They shouldn't be played. They shouldn't be enjoyed.

People don't seem to care going by software sales and most people only own 1 system .

A unified game console is what we need!! PSXboxU otherwise known as a PC!! Seriously what is your point? Just because it's a multiplat it's not considered a game anymore like indies?

The amount of people in those 10 million or so owners that purchase more than one device is very small. That argument holds no weight what so ever in the narrative of the Eurogamer article.

*except the Wii U

more multiplatform games = more sales
more support = more sales

That's why Ps4 is winning.

Problem for fanboys, yes. How many of the 30 million that bought GTA V last year care that it can be played on more than one console? How many people will care that the latest FIFA can be played on an iPad or still on a PS2 (specifically last year). You can take a look at the npd or pal charts for the answers.

This thread will at least accomplish one goal. Prove to console warriors how small their POV really is in comparison to reality.
Im just saying thats the point of the article. There are alot of games but most are on like 4 other devices like I said. Xbox 360, PS3, xbox one and PC. Yes consumers dont care but thats the point. Theres not anything wrong with it but it is what it is. Same games on the 4 on like everything else. Theres no special gameplay or anythinf with it. Im not sure why people see it as offensive on something thats just the plain ol truth.

This is getting ridiculous.

This thread has brought out the worst of everybody's inner fanboy.
Both consoles have had a relatively weak year, but both have plenty of games to play.

Pretty much. At least I get a nice start in identifying individuals who would rather champion a piece of plastic than engage in normal discourse.

So far, Principate and Killer.

Yeah it is so lacking that it has Infamous, Knack, Killzone, and Drive Club. The game may not appeal to you but don't act like they don't exist. The PS4 has the same amount or more exclusive than the XBONE, so this Eurogame article is hyperbolic nonsense. The only console with more exclusives is the Wii U.

THIS ARTICLE IS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE XBOX ONE.

Regardless of how many exclusives there are on other platforms, you're claiming that PS4 has an abundance of exclusives based on the fact that, in an entire year, there were four. Four exclusives. Is that seriously enough for you? Do you seriously not consider four games in an entire year to be lacking?

Especially when three of those four were critically panned. To me, personally, I'm going to call that lacking.

Again, a reminder, how many exclusives the Xbox One has is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to this article.

CoG

Sunset is Microsoft's InFamous:SS. Scored the same, I:SS probably sold a bit more Halo launch is something of a disaster so far. I didn't expect Microsoft to launch such a broken product. I've never seen them slip up like that before.

I like a thing. Wait, that person doesn't like a thing?! OMG THEIR BIASED!!!

I really still can't understand how people aren't agreeing with the article. First it's not comparing the PS4 to the One, so half the posts in this thread are irrelevant immediately. Then you've got the fact that it actually says the PS4 is a great system but it's just lacking in games that you can't play elsewhere. It's literally the truth, however you look at it.

Then you've got other people in this thread going "well who cares, exclusives don't sell consoles!" which, if they'd bothered to read the article before raving about how biased Eurogamer are, they'd see that it actually says that.

Bizarre, really.

Well maybe he should not ask a stupid question like why have we bought these machines or want to speak for everyone .

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Halo launch is something of a disaster so far. I didn't expect Microsoft to launch such a broken product. I've never seen them slip up like that before.

Seriously, I never would have guessed in a million years that Halo would be all kinds of broken at launch, both server side and game wise.

I mean, it was a tremendous undertaking to begin with, but it clearly wasn't ready for release.

Sony and the PS3 ended last generation really strong... Actually the PS3 is still very much alive I feel. Still has a good amount of games coming out, mostly from Japan though. But those last few years for the PS3 were really fantastic.

But yeah the PS4's line up this year has been really rough. Drive Club screwing up really didn't help. I still think the Wii U and even the XBone have a better first party line up. But the PS4 is in the '360 situation' where people are buying it for third parties, I'd imagine.

It's hard to compare the PS4's and XBone's line ups to last gen. The first whole year last gen consoles got all together was 2007, and what a fucking year that was. I have a feeling 2015 will be a lot better, across all 3 consoles. Especially for Sony. Hell, they're starting off the year with Bloodborne and the Order so there are the first party games people are lusting for.

Remember E3 2014 guys? "Please be excited for 2015"

ninanuam

Banned
I love my PS4 but I'd be lying if I said I played it as much as my Xone. In my estimation its been a disappointing year for both consoles.

I bought both at launch and in the beginning I thought I'd be primarily playing PS4 titles due to the superior hardware but over time I've been playing more and more games on Xone.

The reason isn't exclusives or some weird teh bias, its really primarily one issue: PS online issues.

The PS online service is just not up to the task (not for me at least, living in semi rural Australia). I'm not talking about down time, its all about lag. I have never had a positive experience playing online games on my PS4, it always feels laggy.. To the point where I have given up and no longer have Plus.

Live isn't all roses and sunshine either but I seem to have far fewer lag issues on that service and when they added those dedicated servers to Australia for Titanfall...holy shit those were the best online matches I've ever had on a console. I want more of that.

Its at the point that if I think I am going to play the multiplayer in a game I buy the Xone version. Which means 80% of the games I buy, I buy on Xone. Which sort of creates its own feedback loop.

That's not to say I don't play the PS4, its still where I go for single player games. For example the last game I played on PS4 was Mordor and I will probably end up grabbing Batman on that system as well. (WB Machine?)

The lack of games thing though...yea that's just bullshit. You can say the holiday releases from Sony have been a bit meh, especially with Sunset Overdrive actually delivering the goods (there were a lot of people doubting it would before release, count me among them) and Driveclub not exactly setting the world on fire. But the actual amount of AAA games is pretty close.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Pretty much. At least I get a nice start in identifying individuals who would rather champion a piece of plastic than engage in normal discourse.

So far, Principate and Killer.

You needed this thread to find out about Killer? You haven't been reading Gaf much lately...

Nanashrew

Banned
See that's the thing, the key word is "weak year" and not "plenty of games to play."

The article is for those on the fence to buy a PS4. My personal answer is no. I have no interest in the PS4 right now, but maybe later when games I want to play start showing up. Right now, if I wanted to buy some games on the PS4, chances are it's also available on PC so I'm fine not spending $400 for a console till some must haves show up. I was like this last gen as well.

It's the end of the first year for the PS4 and there is nothing I really want to play or see as a must have. Maybe next year, who knows.

This.

And there's still LPB3 this month and Guilty Gear Xrd next month, which IMO will be the best next-gen fighter so far when it comes out next month and it's another PS exclusive (PS4/PS3). They have the same amount of exclusives and that's not even counting the digital games to play where it's lopsidedly in favor of the PS4.

Its quite obvious that EG were talking about quality, not list wars.

If sheer numbers wasa ll that mattered, sony/nswould jusy create a load of studios and let them run wild.

If it came to list wars, PC would be the best gaming platform in history.

Fact is, in terms of quality big name games, they havent been there in the way that they have been elsewhere.

And i dont know in what world a load of indie ports makes a worthy replacement for the types of games console gamers on the whoke have come to exppect. The vast majority wont have bought a ps4 for indies.

JavaMind

Banned
MS can pay how much they want for articles like that in Europe. Doesn't matter Xbox is dead in Europe and no chances for a revival...

Hah. Jesus dude. I know it's hard, but you could probably sometimes try to tone down your bias.

Bitter Sony fans. Let the hate flow man.

I bought an Xbone before a PS4. I would have laughed in your face if you said to me a year ago that I would end up doing that.

Microsoft's determination to turn around their disaster of a hardware platform and Sony's half arsed first year has been interesting to watch. One platform has somehow become less desirable as time goes on while the other has transformed from something genuinely terrible to something desirable.

Though mostly hyperbole, I agree with the closing statements.

It feels like Sony has got too comfortable after demolishing Xbox in 2013 and now has rested on its laurels too long, failing to capitalise on the lead they have in sales.

Sounds about right. Sony dropped the ball

man the anger in some of these posts

eurogamer has always been a click bait site. they dont deserve any respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom