• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who needs games: PlayStation 4's first year [EUROGAMER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that people dismiss indy games really piss me off. It is not acknowledging all the hard work that indies put into their games, especially when a lot of them are better games than plenty of boxed games.

Though Destiny, TLoU Remastered and Black Flag were my favourite experiences on my PS4 to-date, I've never been more happy with what Plus is offering in a long time, personally.

Rather than those 'AAA' titles, Resogun, Towerfall, Binding of Isaac, Velocity were awesome. I'd rather any of those than Bioshock Infinite.

Ps4 has had a decent first year but has yet to have that real "next gen" experience.

This feels like a half step up from last gen, not a leap. Pretty depressing.

It's not difficult because we're seeing PS4 versions of games sell better than any other version of them. So people have decided that they'd have more fun with those versions than they would've with a PS3 or 360 version of the same game. I won't touch a last gen version of a game if I can get it on the PS4. It's simply going to be a better game on that platform.

To put it another way, if the PS4 literally did not exist and the PS3/360 gen had just gone on another year, would you have had a substantially worse time playing games this year?

Very few people would be able to truly answer "yes" to that, if they were being totally honest with themselves.

I like the PS4 and if I'm going to buy a multi-platform title I'm obviously going to buy it on PS4, but if I didn't have one and I bought the same game on PS3 it's still the same game.

Man there is hardly any difference between them, don't care how many milliseconds of slow down a comparison video shows to show you the difference, there is hardly nothing between them in reality

Lol I love when people profess that they don't believe a fact is a fact as if it's something to be proud of

Oh did I hurt your feeling? Do Sony pay you or something?

Look at this thread and article. I'm not alone.

Yes, Sony pays me. I'm getting my shill check from them on Monday hopefully.

Anyway, you said that there were no good Sony exclusives this year. I disagree with that, and I'm sure many others would also. Furthermore, once one spends a decent amount of time on this board, they can recognize the small portion of users who are disturbingly devoted to a company and defending that company's console. So coming from you, the statement that there are no good games for the PS4 is just annoying noise that adds nothing to the discussion. It's shit-posting at its finest.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
To put it another way, if the PS4 literally did not exist and the PS3/360 gen had just gone on another year, would you have had a substantially worse time playing games this year?

Very few people would be able to truly answer "yes" to that, if they were being totally honest with themselves.

I like the PS4 and if I'm going to buy a multi-platform title I'm obviously going to buy it on PS4, but if I didn't have one and I bought the same game on PS3 it's still the same game.
How do you feel that the author named a game for his argument that is not yet out on PS3 and is not developed by the same studio as the one that made the currently released versions? Speaking of Shadow of Mordor.

IMO we can't know yet whether or not it's the same game, as we haven't seen any footage of that game yet. And this is a game that actually was mentioned to have been reduced in scope not only in graphics.

Sweep14

People buying consoles at launch should know that you don't get all the first party exclusives immediately.

What were buyers expecting ? 30 First party AAA games the first year ?

The PS4 has more games than the XB1, yet you don't see press talking about this fact

I bought an Xbone before a PS4. I would have laughed in your face if you said to me a year ago that I would end up doing that.

Microsoft's determination to turn around their disaster of a hardware platform and Sony's half arsed first year has been interesting to watch. One platform has somehow become less desirable as time goes on while the other has transformed from something genuinely terrible to something desirable.

jRPG

Wow, what great and mature responses guys.

It's rather amusing that most seem not to have bothered reading the article and have misaligned the actual point to Xbox One vs PS4. When actually the article only has one positive directed at Microsoft in the closing paragraph, the rest of the mentions are all negative (blundering, catastrophe, having less horsepower, being trounced in sales terms). I wish people would stop seeing constructive criticism as shots fired.

It's a very well written article that conveys exactly my feelings on the current home console generation, with perhaps the exception of the Wii U. I'm literally in this generation with Vita as my main, and as much as I love my Vita I don't want that to be the case for the remainder of the generation. I hope 2015 sees a big step up.

Faustek

I sold my PS4 for the exact reasons Eurogamer states. Great system but it lacks the great online service, frequent updates and exciting exclusives the Xbox One does.

I don't get this.
Per praxis most PS exclusives stay that way.
Xbox exclusives come to PC later.

Unfortunately this isn't really true. Not true enough atleast.

barit

What completely nonsense. Yes you can play Diablo 3 and TLOU and GTA5 on PS3 but not in 1080p/60fps so give me a break. The OS is faster and smoother then the PS3 OS ever was and on top of that the DS4 is in a whole new level of controller design. PS4 has so many cool new features that it don´t matter if it doesn´t have 10 must-buy exclusive in it´s first year. Sony will deliver as always just wait for 2015 and get blown away. Bloodborne and The Order (to some extend) will making the start.

FeiRR

Banned
This isn't "Microsoft vs. Sony," this is just about PS4's first year.

It's very, very difficult to argue with Eurogamer's conclusion that if you hadn't bought a PS4 this year you could easily have had just as good a time playing the same games on PS3.
For a website that has a section dedicated to dissecting games down to minute differences in framerate and IQ, this argument really doesn't make much sense. I'd still buy PS4 just to be able to enjoy BF4 with better graphics, framerate, player count and party chat even if it didn't have any exclusives.

Majmun

Ps4 has had a decent first year but has yet to have that real "next gen" experience.

This feels like a half step up from last gen, not a leap. Pretty depressing.

I'd say Infamous is the most "nextgen" game this gen so far. And the game was released in march.

It's the most technically and visually impressive game this gen so far. That's pretty impressive considering it's an open world game as well..

James Coote

Neo Member
What the shit is this. If you actually were an indy dev, you would not be calling indy games a filler, especially when plenty of them are higher quality than AAA games.

Creatively, I'd take indie over AAA any day!

But commercially speaking, when you dig into the sales figures, a dodgy Assassin's Creed is still going to ship 1mil+ units, whereas your Towerfalls and Shovel Knights are doing more in the region of 50k or maybe 100k unit sales at much lower prices.

I'd say Infamous is the most "nextgen" game this gen so far. And the game was released in march.

It's the most technically and visually impressive game this gen so far. That's pretty impressive considerijg it's an open world game..
It was very pretty but a step back as a game.

I mean something that couldn't be achieved on last gen as well as being technically impressive.

FranXico

This guy's comment on the article reflects my opinion, for the most part (excluding opinion on games I have not played of course). Apologies for the wall of text, as I couldn't find a way to link to it.

chuck_bone said:
To me, this looks like an article calculated to counter the negativity surrounding the Xbox One since it's announcement. But that's no excuse for poor journalism.
EG have just trotted out the same old tropes that get repeated in fanboy debates and stamped their official seal on them as if they are fact.

PSN Dowtime? Sure - but in the context of both platforms, XBL has hardly been perfection:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/17/xbox_live_problems/
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...mbies-Halo-achievements-Call-Of-Duty-problems
http://kotaku.com/xbox-live-is-down-dont-blame-titanfall-1541665467
http://www.cnet.com/news/xbox-live-down-microsoft-at-work-on-a-fix/
http://www.*****************/2014/1...wn-sorry-we-cant-show-your-friends-right-now/
http://levelsave.com/destinys-public-beta-stress-test-just-crashed-xbox-lives-party-system/
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst2474_Multi-Player-Connection-problems.aspx
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/forza-5-is-unplayable-online.453663845/
http://n4g.com/news/1538224/xbox-on...nues-with-transformers-rise-of-the-dark-spark

Yes, I'm selectively quoting, and I'm sure some of you genuinely have experienced PSN downtime (outside publicised scheduled maintenance), but the pretence that XBL is a massively superior service is just that - a pretence, and EG should be ashamed for perpetuating that myth.

As for the lack of 1st party games - the Xbox One is hardly head and shoulders above the PS4 in terms of quantity and quality of exclusives.

After a lengthy drought that lasted most of the summer for 1st party games, with 3 high profile games being released together since September, one of which is merely a remaster of several older games that will appeal mainly to fans of that series!

Even then, neither console has yet to get a brand new, system exclusive title that receives over 8/10!

Apart from MCC, none of the games released have exactly been massive sellers, and have done little to expand the user base of the Xbone.

Yes, the situation is WORSE on the PS4, but only *just*.

Considering the games that have shifted systems this year have all been multi-platform, especially the franchise games like COD and BF4, FIfa, etc - it's those games that the mass market want to play.

Not inFamous, Forza, Dead Rising, Ryse, Killzone, Driveclub or Sunset Overdrive.

With that in mind, consumers are choosing the 'best' platform to experience those multi-platform franchise games, and invariably that is the PS4.

In nearly every benchmark, the PS4 has had the best image quality - with nary a compromise. AC:U is probably the only high profile example, but the least said about that abomination, the better.

I don't think even Sony expected the transition between last and current gen would be so rapid either. They concentrated efforts on geting AAA games out for the PS3 last year, with The Last of Us, GT6, and Beyond:Two Souls featuring easily.
The PS4 got a small amount of attention by comparison.

By comparison, MS shifted focus to the next generation far quicker - and moved a number of XBOX 360 games to the XBOX One -
Ryse was meant to be a Kinect game on the 360, Dead Rising 3 was originally a 360 release, and you can bet your bottom dollar so was FOrza 5 to begin with.
But they sacrificed mass-market sales for the sole intent of bolstering the 1st party line-up for the Xbox One.

Unfortunately, none of the launch titles were really compelling for either console - only Forza 5 really stood out, but only just. So I'll agree that MS have done a better job this year, but only because they started at such a low point.

Unfortunately this article is clearly designed to spark this kind of debate, and does little service to paint an accurate picture of PS4s enjoyment of their console - which is immense, otherwise sales would have dropped off rapidly, and the Xbone or Wii would be taking up the slack.

Blablurn

Man. I don't mind the first year at all. After all I survived the PS3 launch lol. It was always obvious that the way to Fall 2014 would be rough but thanks to many sports titles, indie games and Diablo I didn't feel too bothered. Now it's like there are too many games lol.

And Sony always delivered awesome first party content. They did well at launch and it's not like they can deliver a AAA title every month. That's not possible. Give them time. It's not like they are swimming in money like MS. Yet they deliver great games. And no one will care about Sonys Fall 2014 lineup once Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are out.

Sweep14

I sold my PS4 for the exact reasons Eurogamer states. Great system but it lacks the great online service, frequent updates and exciting exclusives the Xbox One does.

This post brought to you by...

You'd better go with PC if "frequent updates" and "online services" are what you look for in gaming entertainment...

The PS4's launch set the tone for its first year: the games weren't stellar, but it didn't seem to matter. The first-party line-up was thin - Knack was dire, Killzone Shadow Fall was dazzling but hollow, DriveClub was delayed - but Sony was carrying so much momentum and goodwill, nothing could stop it.

Interesting way to put the launch offerings in the most negative light possible - so much so that he was compelled to mention what wasn't there (Driveclub) in that sentence rather than what was there: a well-received, free PS Plus game (Resogun).

How do you feel that the author named a game for his argument that is not yet out on PS3 and is not developed by the same studio as the one that made the currently released versions? Speaking of Shadow of Mordor.

IMO we can't know yet whether or not it's the same game, as we haven't seen any footage of that game yet. And this is a game that actually was mentioned to have been reduced in scope not only in graphics.

It's out in a matter of days, and it's not really an argument we can have without knowing how the game compares.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There's a reason I don't have a PS4 yet.

Motorstorm made me need the PS3, I'm still waiting for such a killer app.

One platform has somehow become less desirable as time goes on while the other has transformed from something genuinely terrible to something desirable.

How does PS4 become less desirable when the platform has only grown since then? (more features added, more games released, more games announced.) Price hasn't increased either.

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Man there is hardly any difference between them, don't care how many milliseconds of slow down a comparison video shows to show you the difference, there is hardly nothing between them in reality

Sure, just keep telling yourself that if that makes you feel better selling your PS4

Last gen ports.

Thing is, PS4 doesn't exist in a vacuum. The person who wrote the article has access to every platform, including PC. In that context, PS4's offering was pretty dire.

That'd be fine if he were talking about himself. But he's not

PlayStation 4 has had a great year. But PlayStation 4 owners haven't, not really.

Majmun

It was very pretty but a step back as a game.

I mean something that couldn't be achieved on last gen as well as being technically impressive.

Then I think you should skip the Ps4 and X1 entirely because most of the games will be the same, only prettier.

Ps4 will have VR though.

Last gen ports.

Thing is, PS4 doesn't exist in a vacuum. The person who wrote the article has access to every platform, including PC. In that context, PS4's offering was pretty dire.

The thing is the person is talking about people that bought a PS4 how many of them do you think plays on everything .
For some people PS4 does exist in a vacuum because that is where going to play all there games other than a table or cell phone.

coastel

Yeah, the whole using firmware updates as a one up point is pretty darn funny.
As soon as I see someone use it I automatically stop reading the rest of their post.

The online bit get's me to. Yes ps4 has had some problem's but overall it's been great for me and I played everything online last gen on the 360. Better multi plats are enough for me that im struggling to play the game's I have especially with the exclusive's. In the end if exclusives are better or not is down to the players preference.

I look forward to a generation long butthurt from Eurogamer. Get ready for the evil PS4 to continue it's dark reign muhahahaha!

mclem

Because the games are better on these machines than their predecessors.

When people say that they were tired of the last generation, were they after something new, or something old, but prettier?

That, I think, is the problem I have. I wanted the first, and people who did want the first might be a bit disappointed. People who wanted the second might well be satisfied, but that's not what "tired of the last generation" conveys to me.

Denton

It's sad because it's true. PS4's year was even worse than Xbone's, which is something I would have never expected.

Im starting to believe that mass people aka people not using gaming forums are much smarter than we think. They are smart enough not to exclude games and realise that PS4 actually has a lot of good games. Why else would PS4 sell so much? Obviously its gotta have games.

Why in the hell is everything so negative and hyperbolic?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's out in a matter of days, and it's not really an argument we can have without knowing how the game compares.
But I think we can have the argument, given that it was argued that you can play this on PS3. Which you at this moment in time you couldn't. Nor could you do that one and a half month ago.

If anything the author should have chosen a better example to make his point that it doesn't matter where you play things on and include a game that you actually can play everywhere.

Auctopus

Though mostly hyperbole, I agree with the closing statements.

It feels like Sony has got too comfortable after demolishing Xbox in 2013 and now has rested on its laurels too long, failing to capitalise on the lead they have in sales.

I will agree that Sony's 1st Part has really failed to live up to its full potential (and then some!) on PS4 and has been quite lackluster.

However, I am hopeful that 2015 Sony will turn things around and deliver the level of superb quality we have come to expect from them in years prior.

Sweep14

How does PS4 become less desirable when the platform has only grown since then? (more features added, more games released, more games announced.) Price hasn't increased either.

Exactly. When looking at next year line-up and considering the not-so exclusive status of XB1 titles like Ryse, DR3, Sunset Overdrive, TR etc...the XB1, is getting less and less desirable than the PS4

Im starting to believe that mass people aka people not using gaming forums are much smarter than we think. They are smart enough not to exclude games and realise that PS4 actually has a lot of good games. Why else would PS4 sell so much? Obviously its gotta have games.

Why in the hell is everything so negative and hyperbolic?

I believe it recognizes the market reality that indie games can't push console sales nearly as much as big multiplatform games and full exclusives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom