• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do the Brits never vote for Mo Farah in SPOTY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very surprised by the 3rd place though. I know it's another great story that he broke his neck and still won a gold, but... showjumping? I've seen about 100x more coverage of long-distance running than I have of showjumping, which is a sport for posh blokes that no-one takes seriously.

It's a pretty inspirational story though, to come back from a broken neck and win an Olympic gold at 58 years of age.

Ikkarus

He has done the 'double double' and won so many other championship medals. It makes him Britian's most celebrated athlete ever. He should have won the award 5 years ago but never even makes it to the top 3. Today again he was robbed of the award.

Is this a sign of the racist undertones in society that Brexit and Trump made obvious to us?

Why is this a racial thing? Everything these days is pointed towards race and it's really jarring.

Just drop the whole racial thing. The athletes are measured on their successes alone, simple.

Mo Farah is a fantastic athlete and a great role model for future generations, just because he didn't with SPOTY doesn't affect that.

Andy Murray has had a brilliant year in tennis and I can't see many people dispute the fact he won the award.

As much as I don't think anyone on here can conclusively say whether or not Mo's race or ethnic background came into the picture when the votes were cast (seriously, you're ignorant of your lack of evidence if you think you can authoritatively claim it has "nothing" to do with racism), I think the biggest uphill battle you're going to fight on this board OP, is convincing any number of us brits (or europeans for that matter) that we have a problem with racism.

As fucked as US race relations are, I think alot of white europeans seem to remain of the opinion that racism really isn't a major thing over here (it's not true but good luck trying to convince them of that).

krang

I think it might be because Tennis is more in the public conscious than long distance running.

Mo is a great athlete and does well to keep himself in the public eye, which can be hard when success in track and field is only really celebrated by the wider public around the Olympics.

The other problem is that his votes were probably diluted by the fact we had such great success in Rio across a wide range of sports.

However, he did deserve to be above Brownlee who was riding on that one single (and frankly awkward-looking) moment with his brother across the line.

Hmm. He's great, and his career has had a really rewarding upswing, but I'm not sure I'd call him the greatest British sportsperson ever. Steve Redgrave? Matthew Pinsent? Chris Hoy? Sally Gunnel? Jason and Laura Kenny? Denise Lewis?
I wouldn't give the title to anyone from Cycling or Rowing given how much money we throw at it. It's not a surprise we dominate it.

Murray has achieved what he has off the back of his own talent, sacrifices and dedication and nothing more. He's up there with any other British athlete ever.

And quorn is the best you're right.

As long as the BBC has the rights to Wimbledon, you can expect the best British tennis player to have massive amounts of media exposure. Athletics now is really only in the public eye during the Olympics for most people and that exposure is shared between a lot more sports than it used to be..

azyless

As much as I don't think anyone on here can conclusively say whether or not Mo's race or ethnic background came into the picture when the votes were cast (seriously, you're ignorant of your lack of evidence if you think you can authoritatively claim it has "nothing" to do with racism), I think the biggest uphill battle you're going to fight on this board OP, is convincing any number of us brits (or europeans for that matter) that we have a problem with racism.

As fucked as US race relations are, I think alot of white europeans seem to remain of the opinion that racism really isn't a major thing over here (it's not true but good luck trying to convince them of that).
Brexit was this year and pretty much everyone here except for a few Leave voters agreed it was hugely based on racism and xenophobia.
I don't think saying it had nothing to do with racism is fair, but claiming it's the only reason he doesn't win the award is just as ridiculous.
His win at the olympics this year was ranked 2nd most memorable british tv moment of 2016 btw, above Murray's OG win and Leicester City's title to name a couple.

Zaph

There are plenty of legitimate reasons why Mo wouldn't be higher ranked overall, but if people think his immigrant background and tendency to visibly practice Islam post-win don't factor in to that, they're kidding themselves about this country.

Even members of my row club raised eyebrows over his low rank a few years ago, especially given the fact Mo gives us someone to cheer once the track and field events start - a place where we generally underachieve.

Let's just forget that Murray has had the best year in british tennis in decades. Seriously.

OP has said multiple times he's not disputing Andy's win (I don't think any sane person could), but Mo's overall ranking across many years.

Never really heard of Mo Farah but Andy Murray is talked about a lot. I don't really follow sports. Perhaps he is really famous if you follow that sport. For some reason Britain is lousy with successful Olympians and if you don't care so much it's impossible to keep track of them.

Never really heard of Mo Farah but Andy Murray is talked about a lot. I don't really follow sports. Perhaps he is really famous if you follow that sport. For some reason Britain is lousy with successful Olympians and if you don't care so much it's impossible to keep track of them.

You've never heardof Mo Farah? Really?

Acorn

There are plenty of legitimate reasons why Mo wouldn't be higher ranked overall, but if people think his immigrant background and tendency to visibly practice Islam post-win don't factor in to that, they're kidding themselves about this country.

Even members of my row club raised eyebrows over his low rank a few years ago, especially given the fact Mo gives us someone to cheer once the track and field events start - a place where we generally underachieve.

OP has said multiple times he's not disputing Andy's win (I don't think any sane person could), but Mo's overall ranking across many years.
Fair enough then.

Jezbollah

Andy Murray is probably the greatest ever British sportsperson, so no Farah doesn't deserve it.

Let's be honest, he's no Phil "The Power" Taylor, is he? ;)

SPOTY is a joke, show's been a joke ever since they went from Review to Personality. It's just a big circle jerk on how amazing the BBC thinks it is at covering the last shreds of sport it has rights for.

Brexit was this year and pretty much everyone here except for a few Leave voters agreed it was hugely based on racism and xenophobia.
I don't think saying it had nothing to do with racism is fair, but claiming it's the only reason he doesn't win the award is just as ridiculous.
His win at the olympics this year was ranked 2nd most memorable british tv moment of 2016 btw, above Murray's OG win and Leicester City's title to name a couple.

Totally agree with you here...

Personally I'd similarly put it down to the fact that he's not the most memorable sports personality (he is quite boring and so is his sport) and then maybe there's some internal psychology at play here, where most brits' top pick would be someone they can personally identify more with, and maybe that's no Mo, given that he's clearly not so close in terms of identity, to the average brit (our population is like 87.2% ethnic white); which in itself is not racism per say...

Zemm

murray is an understandable winner but i do think it's bullshit that triathlete brownlee came 2nd with 16% of the vote and farah came fourth with 7.3%. farah's achievements are far greater.

i can understand the showjumper in 3rd just cuz of the novelty of the 58 year old man as an olympic medalist being a nice narrative.

Brownlee had a huge campaign from his home town to get him votes, that's the only reason he's in the top 3, same reason Shaun Long was in the top 3 too. Sometimes fans of a smaller sport or someones home town will make a campaign that catches on and pushes that person into the top 3. Maybe the running community should have done something similar for Mo if they wanted him up there.

EmiPrime

Mo Farah, Lewis Hamilton and Andy Murray are all Gooners so I am glad that some athletes who put on an Arsenal shirt are capable of winning medals and trophies and SPOTY.

I just find it a little bizarre that anybody who has lived here or knows anything about the UK would attempt to argue against the idea that Mo Farah's SPOTY rankings is obviously a by product of the racism and Islamaphobia that is part of the culture, imo.

Now that SKY news is about to become Fox News, situation should only get worse.

I just find it a little bizarre that anybody who has lived here or knows anything about the UK would attempt to argue against the idea that Mo Farah's SPOTY rankings is obviously a by product of the racism and Islamaphobia that is part of the culture, imo.

Now that SKY news is about to become Fox News, situation should only get worse.
I live here, I hate Brexit, the Tories, the Daily Mail, Islamaphobia and the rest but this isn't that. Mo Farah is actually really popular he's just unlucky he's competing at the same time as Andy Murray and the British middle-class like their silly rowing and horse sports.

He has finished 3rd once and 4th three times so it's not like he is completely overlooked. Middle-distance running just doesn't get the attention of something like Tennis. If he won the London Marathon he'd probably win SPOTY.

Bold One

I'm surprised that you're surprised OP.

Seriously, While I do believe that AM is very deserving (Actually a fan of his, and how he sticks it to the English), there is literally nothing that Mo can do that will get him that award ( I recall him falling during his race, getting back up and winning) apparently not a good enough 'story'. The reasons for which have already been covered in great detail.

One thing is certain, were he a white man, he would have won.

Kareha

As for why Mo didn't win it, probably because we get to see Murray every year whereas most of the time Mo is only really seen by the majority of the public every 2 or 4 years.

I'm surprised that you're surprised OP.

Seriously, While I do believe that AM is very deserving (Actually a fan of his, and how he sticks it to the English), there is literally nothing that Mo can do that will get him that award ( I recall him falling during his race, getting back up and winning) apparently not a good enough 'story'. The reasons for which have already been covered in great detail.

One thing is certain, were he a white man, he would have won.

Codswallop

DeathyBoy

Banned
I live here, I hate Brexit, the Tories, the Daily Mail, Islamaphobia and the rest but this isn't that. Mo Farah is actually really popular he's just unlucky he's competing at the same time as Andy Murray and the British middle-class like their silly rowing and horse sports.

He has finished 3rd once and 4th three times so it's not like he is completely overlooked. Middle-distance running just doesn't get the attention of something like Tennis. If he won the London Marathon he'd probably win SPOTY.

This.

It's Roddy Piper/Chris Jericho syndrome. Massively popular and talented but around at times when better people who were more popular dominated.

Wtf does Trump have to do with a British TV vote? The constant elision of British and American issues is ridiculous. There are similarities but there are massive differences, and if you're going to be thoughtful you can't just say 'yeah Trump is Brexit is Trump', it's useless.

No doubt some Brits hate Farah. I'd warrant the vast majority do not. None of that suggests he MUST win SPOTY and didn't because of his heritage. Non-sequitors galore, let alone ignorning previous non-white winners.

Kareha

Mo didn't win because the others were just better, simple as. People trying to say it's down to racism are fucking idiots. Sometimes I despair about my fellow countrymen, I really do.

there is literally nothing that Mo can do that will get him that award ( I recall him falling during his race, getting back up and winning) apparently not a good enough 'story'. The reasons for which have already been covered in great detail.
Setting a World Record or winning the London Marathon could do it. The public here places greater emphasis on certain achievements, so Murray didn't win SPOTY for winning his first Slam the US Open but has both times for winning Wimbledon.

I would put Murray above all of those listed, yes.

I wouldn't give the title to anyone from Cycling or Rowing given how much money we throw at it. It's not a surprise we dominate it.

Murray has achieved what he has off the back of his own talent, sacrifices and dedication and nothing more. He's up there with any other British athlete ever.

And quorn is the best you're right.

Fair enough. I'm not disputing that he deserves to be up there, but I'm not sure I would list him as #1. Is he the most successful British tennis player ever?

I haven't heard of a lot of people you would probably be shocked. I only recently learned who kim kardashian was.

How is that possible? Even if you don't have a tv you obviously have internet.

I feel like you would have to actively try very hard to not know who the people you mention are.

I mean, it's entirely possible to have seen the name but not know who the person is. I watch almost no TV and don't follow pop culture at all, so I'm pretty bloody ignorant of celebrities or musicians unless it's someone who specifically fits with my tastes.

Coxy100

Banned
He has done the 'double double' and won so many other championship medals. It makes him Britian's most celebrated athlete ever. He should have won the award 5 years ago but never even makes it to the top 3. Today again he was robbed of the award.

Is this a sign of the racist undertones in society that Brexit and Trump made obvious to us?

If that's true - how did Ore Oduba win Strictly at the weekend?

Bold One

A compelling rejoinder to your completely unqualified statement that if Farah was white then "it is certain" he would have won? And then you have the nerve to have a go at me for making unsupported arguments? LOL
who's "having a go"

your only response to my post was

Codswallop

Not really an argument of any sort, just a shit-post,

shouldn't have acknowledged it, a mistake on my part.

My statement is my opinion, the fact that athletes who have achieved less have won the award is all the qualification my statement needs.

Acorn

who's "having a go"

My statement is my opinion, the fact that athletes who have achieved less have won the award is all the qualification my statement needs.
Done less in years British sport has done worse. Your opinion is not fact and your qualification is flawed.

who's "having a go"

Tbf it's hard to make a significant response to your entirely unsubstantiated assertion though, opinion or no. "Codswallop" is, if not particularly well thought out, a similar assertion of opinion with no evidence to back it up. I mean come on: "One thing is certain, were he a white man, he would have won." It's demonstrably not "certain", so it kinda is codswallop.

who's "having a go"

No. You said that it was certain that, had Farah been white, he would have won. You stated that as if it was objectively a fact and yet you provided absolutely no evidence or qualification for your claim. Why then would you expect me to provide evidence for my rebuttal when you have provided none of your own? Your risible statement deserved nothing more than what it got. If you want to make outlandish claims either support them or don't be surprised when they are dismissed out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom