• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkel

Banned
I think sessler typed what he typed to see other people in industry reaction if they have something similar on hands.

Essentially he was trying to check ground if some other people in same situation as him without giving what is going on and possibly hurting himself in process.
There are several people who typed comparable things in those two weeks.

Bigger question is why the anonymity ?

If that would be youtube policy change i doubt they would be anonymous and would state what is going on.

Now if we would add to that publishers that would tie their mouths since they wouldn't want to hurt their relations in future.

Let's assume that publishers joined forces and sent a letter to youtube that they want to approve every gaming material with their content ? No approval --> no possiblity of uploading content --> no review --> no money from ads ---> no y channel

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maybe twitch (and/Ustream lol) have some sort of deal with sony/ms that in order for them to have them on the system and stream straight to their service that youtube videos should be gone.. Meaning twitch get all that money youtube was getting. Maybe they want twitch to be the main spot to watch game videos. idk

Don't they(or atleast the ps4 share) hookup directly to youtube, though?

Maybe it's something with the mass influx of videos, they don't want to monetize it for people to profit off random gameplay...but I can't see why youtube would do that as they would just get more money.

I think sessler typed what he typed to see other people in industry reaction if they have something similar on hands.

Essentially he was trying to check ground if some other people in same situation as him without giving what is going on and possibly hurting himself in process.
There are several people who typed comparable things in those two weeks.

Bigger question is why the anonymity ?

If that would be youtube policy change i doubt they would be anonymous and would state what is going on.

Now if we would add to that publishers that would tie their mouths since they wouldn't want to hurt their relations in future.

Let's assume that publishers joined forces and sent a letter to youtube that they want to approve every gaming material with their content ? No approval --> no possiblity of uploading content --> no review --> no money from ads ---> no y channel

Seems to be on the down low as he wants clarification/an answer for now.

Respawn

Banned
It's not MS:

IGbeOPx.jpg
Lmao at reply tweet. Twitter is f'ing rough.

Stop doing this to yourself guys.

Sessler himself said this would affect a "handful" of people.

Gertsman says it's not a big deal

Jschrier (sic) said it's not a big deal

If it were half the things you are all talking about, more than Sessler would be having a hissy fit.

Im convinced it is to do with montization, but only how rev3 does it.

It always struck me as odd how they would directly advertise products and services at the start and end of videos. It struck me as pushing the boundaries too far.

DeviantBoi

Nintendo managed to block the YouTube monetization of their games, and the backlash by players who buy their games wasn't too bad.

Maybe Activision or EA decided that maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to do the same.

However, this wouldn't affect Sessler. He doesn't do LP videos. He monetizes his opinions through previews, reviews, and editorials on YouTube. Isn't he allowed to use game footage through the Fair Use Doctrine?

ieatzombies

Somebody asked yoshida on his twitter for some confirmation on the Sessler twitter posts, and he is confused as well it looks like.

itsgreen

Don't they(or atleast the ps4 share) hookup directly to youtube, though?

Maybe it's something with the mass influx of videos, they don't want to monetize it for people to profit off random gameplay...but I can't see why youtube would do that as they would just get more money.

Seems to be on the down low as he wants clarification/an answer for now.

Yeah you don't want to scream bloody murder if you misinterpreted something, if the other party doesn't know your objections, they haven't made up their mind.

Especially when the relation is co-dependent.

It always struck me as odd how they would directly advertise products and services at the start and end of videos. It struck me as pushing the boundaries too far.

I think you might be onto something. Maybe Youtube is banning ads within videos, of the sort Rev3 have been using. I'm sure those pay far better than ads before a video or skippable ones.

For what it's worth I think the Rev3 content is very well produced.

itsgreen

I think you might be onto something. Maybe Youtube is banning ads within videos, of the sort Rev3 have been using. I'm sure those pay far better than ads before a video or skippable ones.

Doesn't sound weird indeed. Google not allowing ads through third parties on their platform...

Jhn

This actually makes a lot of sense, and is in line with the whole "only affects a handful of people" thing.
However, it certainly does not explain why all these other media personalities have started insinuating all kinds of various unrelated crap around Sesslers original tweets if that is indeed the case. What the hell are people doing?

itsgreen

I can't see that being true, that's basically Google censoring what can and cannot be shown on Youtube. The outrage would be pretty massive...

They already do that.

They only say, all good and well, but if you want to use our servers, and you want to monetize your videos, you will have to do it through us.

Doesn't sound to weird to me.

I don't like it, but it isn't completely unreasonable.

Paganmoon

This seems like the most likely thing.

Audioboxer

What a clusterfuck all these cryptic tweets have been. No wonder bish built a shelter and retired there. Wish he had room for more.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Hmm, maybe. I would say it depends if youtube gets any cut from integrated ads or if it works around their system.

Amused

Seriously, when are gaming journalists going to start acting like journalists?

This is some serious bullshit going down here. These people have access to information that is important to the public. Money will change hands, and big corporations are forcing secrecy. How the shit is that not a god damn story?

Leak it, and publish it! The public deserves to know.

Do your job.

X-Factor

If you read Marcus Beer's twitter, the issue at hand seems to be Sony's press only event that happens on Nov 11-12th.

https://twitter.com/AnnoyedGamer

My speculation: Maybe most media websites are not getting a free PS4 sent to them, and they have to attend the event to experience the PS4 for the first time.... and it would only be days before the console launches.

BigDes

If you read Marcus Beer's twitter, the issue at hand seems to be Sony's press only event that happens on Nov 11-12th.

My speculation: Maybe most media websites are not getting a free PS4 sent to them, and they have to attend the event to experience the PS4 for the first time.... and it would only be days before the console launches.

Maybe, but I'm not sure this would make Sessler think about leaving the industry

Tamanon

Banned
Seriously, when are gaming journalists going to start acting like journalists?

This is some serious bullshit going down here. These people have access to information that is important to the public. Money will change hands, and big corporations are forcing secrecy. How the shit is that not a god damn story?

Leak it, and publish it! The public deserves to know.

Do your job.

I think you don't understand their job.

Tratorn

So, is there a good summary about all these weird things, that happened today?
Well, I only want to really know what it was about. I just know it wasn't about XB1.

And I read something about the review embargo for the PS4 until 2 days before the release. Is that true? And was this the reason for the meltdown?

Sorry, It's really too much to catch up all these posts. ;)

SJRB

Gold Member

"Journalists" crying because they won't get a free PS4 deserve a punch in the face.

Paganmoon

I think there are several different, unrelated things happening. Don't think Beer's comments have anything to do with Sessler's. Beer might just have assumed that.

rocK`

Banned
Break the NDA and lose said job!

Umm isn't it a common theme in almost all journalist movies to you know sacrifice everything to get thruth out? Isn't that like the whole goal of a journalist? If him having a job will always be leverage on him he won't be that good if a journalist.

Mman235

There would be something delicious about (a?) big publishers doing something so disgustingly compromising that even game journalists are forced to turn on them, but then the chance of that is probably zero, and they will go along with this however awful it is.

Hmm, maybe. I would say it depends if youtube gets any cut from integrated ads or if it works around their system.

That's the weird thing about ads inside the video though. Google would have no idea what Rev3 gets paid for that ad, so Google has no idea how much of a cut they should get.

With the ads integrated right into the youtube player, Google knows exactly what the split of profits are for each and every ad watched.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I sure hope he does leave the industry, make room for other "journalists" who may actual report on situations important to gamers without fear of reprocusions from publishers or corporate sponsors.

Don't let the ISP hit you on the ass on the way out. Also if you could, take Polygon, IGN & gametrailers with you.

GodofWine

I just woke up...havent read mch of this thread so forgive me if old/repeat.

Could this be an offshoot of that one dev claiming copyright to pull bad news from a review channel? could bigger powers be threatening more people about this? or pushing devs to do this?

just a pre-coffee thought. caffeinate if way off.

Amused

I think you don't understand their job.

That might be correct.

And of course, I wouldn't force a reviewer to go out of their way to do something one of their colleagues should do.

So I guess my problem is with the actual gaming journalists. Where are they on these issues? Are they non-existent to begin with?

And, no, I don't want people to lose their job. Something needs to be done with the gaming media on a system level though.

Marvel

could never
you do know that this is the internet, they can leak it and have it published somewhere out side of their own videogame site. like to angry joe or someone and he will post it on their behalf.

Yeah I guess, risky though. Wouldn't do it myself if I were in that position.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The fact that's there's 20 50 post pages of a thing we don't even know what's happening gives me mixed emotions. And then there's the fact that we STILL don't know exactly what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom