• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metfanant

I'm trying to connect the dots...but there are still dots missing...or out of place...

- Dent mentioned an event...and that the "publisher" asked that the press not acknowledge that the event took place....

But we've known about the PS4 launch event ever since IGN posted that image....and the way Dent described it, the event already happened....Sony's event is in November...

- mort responded to Dent and specifically mentioned "the CoD event"

Dead Man

It's annoying how defensive Arthur Gies is being on Twitter. You guys are yelling fire but refusing to tell us where it is. Expect people to question you or don't fucking talk about it so cryptically in a public space.

Gies will Gies. Best to ignore him.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
If it's the game review event thing that definitely sucks and Sony should be ashamed for forcing that, but that's not the end of game journalism as we know it. I think a launch could legitimately be held within a game review event type of thing, simply because it's a launch, they happen once in a blue moon.

Remember, game reviewers get seriously crazy packages from the respective publishers or companies, lots of swag that not even special edition people get. The game review event would be, at the minimum, a reflection of the swag that game reviewers normally get.

Frankly if game reviewers were serious they'd have one guy open the box, not say what was in it, and then deliver the disc to the reviewer. If anything this is the publishing industry trying to sway the reviewing industry by making it an "event." Now that would be bad. If every release was preceded by some event. And let's be honest, setting up an event with all sorts of glamor shit is just not realistic for games going forward. It makes sense for launch games because you can centrally locate them and there aren't many of them. It will not work for releases other than launch releases, because they come and go.

I think it's being overblown.

Replicant

So Dent was right and Cboat and Mortimer were wrong? I'm guessing reviewers don't actually get the games and hardware and are forced to review at review events? Yeesh

They get what? Why should they get the hardware instead of buying it like the rest of us? Game copies I can understand but even then they should really buy their own if they don't want their opinion to be influenced by the publishers. But asking for hardware at a launch when most unit is counted and important for potential buyers is ridiculous.

It's annoying how defensive Arthur Gies is being on Twitter. You guys are yelling fire but refusing to tell us where it is. Expect people to question you or don't fucking talk about it so cryptically in a public space.
How have these guys not learned that twitter isn't an anonymous Live Journal? Why are they dumping their personal neuroses there and being cagey to boot?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's annoying how defensive Arthur Gies gets on Twitter. You guys are yelling fire but refusing to tell us where it is. Expect people to question you or don't fucking talk about it so cryptically in a public space.

Ding ding. It was stupid to air it on Twitter if they didn't want it to blow up/be questioned.

Keihart

Some of my favorite video reviews are not even day one, and they get quite a lot of views.
If you don't want go to a review event , the f-them and do your reviews later. If they are entertaining they'll get a bunch of views.
My favorite reviews on youtube are the ones of Acorn Films, an almost dead youtube channel with an impressive amount of subs for having so little content. And Jeremy jahns reviews.
I don't see footage being restricted either, you might as well record it your way and then claim fair use. Term of use don't apply.

I don't think it's this tho. So color me intrigued as everyone else here writting this mini journal drama. Gaf it's really sometimes like reading a live journal or something xD

Chobel

So Dent was right and Cboat and Mortimer were wrong? I'm guessing reviewers don't actually get the games and hardware and are forced to review at review events? Yeesh

No one is forced, they could do it by themselves at whatever place they like. It appears that they didn't like not getting free PS4 and free game copies.

beast786

Lol, did you even see what CBOAT replied. He specifically talked about retail xb1 to dev kit future update. Nothing about review events happening for games with Both consoles.

JABEE

I'm trying to connect the dots...but there are still dots missing...or out of place...

- Dent mentioned an event...and that the "publisher" asked that the press not acknowledge that the event took place....

But we've known about the PS4 launch event ever since IGN posted that image....and the way Dent described it, the event already happened....Sony's event is in November...

I wonder if outlets are going forward with reviews of Call of Duty based on unconfirmed hardware. Is this new for an industry veteran like Adam Sessler?

I doubt that is what it is about. These sites would not be saying it effects their livelihood because they didn't get a free PS4.

They should be refusing those types of handouts anyways.

Are you serious? You realize that reviews come out the day of (or before) release because the reviewers have access to pre-release code? You know, pre-release as in "can only be played on devkits"?

How have these guys not learned that twitter isn't an anonymous Live Journal? Why are they dumping their personal neuroses there and being cagey to boot?

Sessler's justification was that the said publisher was not responding to him to private, and he knew they'd be watching the Twitter. By making his grievances public, he can put their feet to the fire to some extent.

Megasoum

Banned
Lol, did you even see what CBOAT replied. He specifically talked about retail xb1 to dev kit future update. Nothing about review events happening for games with Both consoles.

Speaking of which... I always thought it was funny that people expect the whole "Switch a retail XB1 to become a devkit" thing to be free lol. It's not because you already have the hardware that Microsoft won't charge you for access to the special entitlement.

We cant deduce anything from Dent's post. Dent is a nobody and a leech of the industry at best. He pretends to be a dev, but isn't and has been called out by CBOAT and others as being a clown.

4Zc47.gif

Metfanant

I wonder if outlets are going forward with reviews of Call of Duty based on unconfirmed hardware. Is this new for an industry veteran like Adam Sessler?

It just sounds to me, that this is an ACTIVISION thing....not Sony....and it actually makes more sense that way...

Has any of the media outlets said when to expect their CoD:Ghosts reviews?

Honestly all these vague tweets and speculation is getting annoying. I just want to know the truth because I can handle the truth.

Page after page of nonsense! :/

a916

There was a Call of Duty review event this month in preparation for the review coming up. Happens every year. Not sure if that has happened yet or is happening next week but IGN has mentioned a few times they are going down to the COD review event. So it could be it.

It's annoying how defensive Arthur Gies gets on Twitter. You guys are yelling fire but refusing to tell us where it is. Expect people to question you or don't fucking talk about it so cryptically in a public space.

He's yelling fire in a crowded building and then throw's a passive agressive hissy fit when people asked him which way they should run.

Chobel

From The other thread
Hi all, took me a while to remember my password or I would have jumped in sooner.

Its not just about the games, its reviewing the actual system 2 days before the damn thing ships.
Something feels off right now to be honest & a lot of people are pissed about it.
If you have seen anything I have done over the last 8 months, you will know I have been very happy with the way Sony has been doing things but now its time for them to shit or get off the pot and they are being damn evasive about allowing serious access to the system before launch.
I have mine preordered (ditto XboxOne) & if that is the only way I will get to have said access to the PS4 then so be it.
When people delay access to something, game or hardware, it's never for a good reason in my experience.

Replicant

You know what journalists? Have a fucking BALL.

1. Get your own copy instead of relying on publishers to give it to you. That way you won't be under their thumb over what you say.
2. If you have problem about a publisher then say it like it is. Don't sputter around throwing hints via Twitter. Again, this wouldn't be a problem if you don't rely on them for handouts!
3. So what if you have to wait a few days to review the games? If your article/opinion is good then people will come and read your article regardless of how late it is.

Thanks for this.. It's fucking odd too thatpeople think sony will have to put reviewers in a controlled environment to rig the reviews. Sony games looks good already, they dont need to do that shit. It seems to me that the term "Review Event" has been attached to such despicable publisher practices that when sony does it, everyone expects sony to do the same horrid shit to reviewers... Until that happens then I woulb believe there is nothing shady sony will do to that review event.

My best guess really is activision as Ghost looks like garbage.

RulkezX

How can the Sony review embargo drop on the 5th if this ''issue'' is a review event on the 12th.

First party games being only playable wouldn't be an industry drama either. They make up a much smaller % of releases than 3rd party , so how could it threaten someone like Adam's livelihood ?

From The other thread

So what are Polygon reviewing AC4 on ?

Penryn

Banned
I wonder if this has something to do with the video capture being blocked on PS4 until sometime after the launch, which basically makes sesslers ability to review ps4 games impossible.

Metfanant

We cant deduce anything from Dent's post. Dent is a nobody and a leech of the industry at best. He pretends to be a dev, but isn't and has been called out by CBOAT and others as being a clown.
Maybe so...but some of what he said checks out....

- mort mentioned the CoD Event in response to him...annoyed gamer clearly says this shitstorm is about reviewing games in staged environments (ie review events)

Guess reviewers better be getting those tissues out.

I'm sorry but forcing someone to review a game at a special review event is crazy.

If that's not correct and reviewers have the luxury of reviewing wherever they choose without any penalty, then we certainly have nothing to complain about.

hamchan

If it's really just about reviewers not getting free games and hardware, and being forced to do their work in a review event, then I don't feel that much sympathy tbh.

If they're worried about there not being enough time resulting in their work being compromised, then they can buy the system and games at launch, like everyone else has to, and then put out a review later.

Man, they're really upset over those two days. Like something like this have never happened before, one could think this is the new way for them to review games all the time going forward.

Question, is this REVIEW event only for the launch titles or will it be one of these "events" for every game coming out for the rest of PS4 and Xboxone lifetime?

jschreier

1. Get your own copy instead of relying on publishers to give it to you. That way you won't be under their thumb over what you say.
This does a disservice to readers who want to know whether or not to spend time and money on a game before it comes out.

3. So what if you have to wait a few days to review the games? If your article/opinion is good then people will come and read your article regardless of how late it is.
I really wish this were true. It's not. The Internet has facilitated a world where speed is everything. The reactionary attitudes of some on sites like Reddit and GAF don't help.

Question, is this REVIEW event only for the launch titles or will it be one of these "events" for every game coming out for the rest of PS4 and Xboxone lifetime?

It's suggested that this is a one-time event, but Sessler's reaction suggests it's going to be a long-term issue.

Replicant

This does a disservice to readers who want to know whether or not to spend time and money on a game before it comes out.

I really wish this were true. It's not. The Internet has facilitated a world where speed is everything. The reactionary attitudes of some on sites like Reddit and GAF don't help.

Like a review coming on time isn't likely to be compromised anyway. MASS EFFECT 3 - 10/10 WITH DORITOS!

Yess, that's the kind of reviews that readers deserve. Instead of one that is marked with integrity because the reviewer actually wait and review a game that they purchased out of their own pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom