• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
This does a disservice to readers who want to know whether or not to spend time and money on a game before it comes out.

I really wish this were true. It's not. The Internet has facilitated a world where speed is everything. The reactionary attitudes of some on sites like Reddit and GAF don't help.

His post is so infinitely clueless about what is expected of reviewers and the realities they face I'm honestly shocked you even bothered.

This does a disservice to readers who want to know whether or not to spend time and money on a game before it comes out.

I really wish this were true. It's not. The Internet has facilitated a world where speed is everything. The reactionary attitudes of some on sites like Reddit and GAF don't help.

Guess that's more confirmation. So let me fet this straigjt - reviewers that choose to review outside the event will be penalized by facing a review embargo?

Hyunashi

I'm sorry but forcing someone to review a game at a special review event is crazy.

If that's not correct and reviewers have the luxury of reviewing wherever they choose without any penalty, then we certainly have nothing to complain about.

Wheres the forcing? Its not like that's the only opportunity they have to review. Its also not like they have to go to the event if they disagree with the approach.

In the other thread, someone speculated it has to do with a firmware update. Kagari said that made sense, as the network on PS4 wouldn't be up until that week. I guess maybe that way they could properly review MP features?

Well that's that...but it's still not clicking for me as to why Sessler feels this is going to effect his livelihood so much...review events should be old news for him...in his career he would have been to hundreds of these things...

Maybe Rev 3 cant afford to fly him all around the world to these review events?

Pop

I wonder if this has something to do with the video capture being blocked on PS4 until sometime after the launch, which basically makes sesslers ability to review ps4 games impossible.

But it's not blocked, there's work arounds. It's been like this for years now.

Replicant

His post is so infinitely clueless about what is expected of reviewers and the realities they face I'm honestly shocked you even bothered.

Who expected that? Certainly not readers who read that the game that they want to purchase is so awesome that it's unmissable....only later on finding out themselves that it's chock full of holes with awful ending.

The incestuous nature of gaming journalists with the publishers is frankly has gone too far. You guys are relying too much on publishers' handout and blame your readers for anything that goes wrong. But we already saw that haven't we during the DRM gate with MS?

Well i can only imagine Sony are the bad guys here since its been confirmed is not MS.

But everybody knows nobody can beat the bad guy.

razor-ramon-o.gif

Demon Ice

Banned
My respect for the dude has been fairly low ever since he manufactured that bullshit faux-moral outrage over the GoW trophy, but he isn't Gies-tier so I do feel bad he's in a shitty position. I did enjoy some of the coverage he did for E3, it's refreshing to see somebody in the industry that's half decent in front of the camera.

All that said, it's fucking obnoxious how they're all posting this cryptic drama over Twitter. Like they're trying to be an edgy exclusive cool kids club. "Hey dude...is it about that "THING" that happened today? We totally can't tell all the plebes what it is but lets talk about it publicly anyways, we look so hardcore hur."

This comic perfectly illustrates how I feel about those tweets:

1316662746.jpg

Samyy

Believe me is not what i'm hoping. But, if it's making Sessler question his future and it involves Sony then is not exactly good news.

Right, Sessler has been known to be quite dramatic on his twitter.
What it seems like it boils down to is that Sony is holding this event for launch system and exclusive game reviews (im guessing as Gies said they are reviewing PS4 AC next week), if Sessler thinks Sony is going to fly a bunch of reviewers and hold an event for every single game they make he is crazy.

AND

If these reviews are enough to through his entire financial stability into question with regards to this job then it doesn't sound like the greatest field to be in.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist

1) Gaming journos(not necessarily you) were condescending to gamers who cared aboiut resolution, DRM, used games, but now they care about readers? They care about themselves, not us.

2) Gaming journalists have only themselves to blame for this. They enabled game publishers to get away with shit like this for years. Now the chickens have come home to roost.

jschreier

Guess that's more confirmation. So let me fet this straigjt - reviewers that choose to review outside the event will be penalized by facing a review embargo?
I am talking about situations in general. I don't know anything about this specific review event. I really don't. All I can say at this point is that however we (Kotaku) wind up reviewing the next-gen consoles, we'll be as transparent as possible about what we experienced and how we experienced it.

I do know what Adam's upset about (and out of respect to him I'll let him be the one to share it), but it has nothing to do with anything that will affect most gamers.

ProcrasDANation

Neo Member

In your view maybe, but it will be up to you to actually demonstrate that this is a betrayal of transparency for the consumer. If you cannot then the point is mute, no?

Squire

Banned
What is expected of reviewers and what realities do they face?

Educate yourself on the topic. I'm not typing up a wall of text for a thread full of people who've made very clear over the last two pages or more that they wouldn't care about what would be in it anyway.

So he can wait to review his games?

I don't see the big deal.

The difference in views for a review posted before & after release are massive. If your prime form of income relied upon those views, it is crucial you get access to the game ASAP. It's arguably unfair for publishers to demand critics experience the game under controlled conditions if they want that early access.

antonz

Review Events certainly go against the idea of an independent reviewer but It would not surprise me one bit to see it become more and more common. The Gaming Press has been far too compliant and frankly incestuous with the Gaming Industry.

Most are just out to get their feet in the door with one of the big three so do whatever it takes. Gaming Press needs to detach itself from the Developer Side of the Industry and stand up

They may have to wait to buy their own copies like everyone else, no? How's that so horrible?
They're going to say something like "how will the consumers know what to buy if don't have reviews out!? Think of the consumers!!!! Thhheeeee coooonsuuuuuummmers!"

(By consumers they mean their customers)

Samyy

Review Events certainly go against the idea of an independent reviewer but It would not surprise me one bit to see it become more and more common. The Gaming Press has been far too compliant and frankly incestuous with the Gaming Industry.

Most are just out to get their feet in the door with one of the big three so do whatever it takes. Gaming Press needs to detach itself from the Developer Side of the Industry and stand up

Right, then X publisher will just not send you a copy of the game, but will send it to your large competitor. Oh and no previews for you, or E3 appointments.

I feel like publishers have all the power here.

I, for one, am okay with getting rid of the larger problem that faces games today and that's game reviews.

It's one of the things that is holding games back, the fear of investing millions into a novel idea because it may not be to the taste of reviewers and thus never turn profit.

Bishop89

I'm sorry but forcing someone to review a game at a special review event is crazy.

If that's not correct and reviewers have the luxury of reviewing wherever they choose without any penalty, then we certainly have nothing to complain about.
forcing how? all they have to do is wait a few days to get their own copies

RE_Player

I would argue that gaming sites have trained users that speed is everything but that is a discussion/debate about the broken business model of websites for another time.

This is just like those stupid cryptic Facebook statuses that people leave.

Person: "Never trusting people again."

Friend: "omg what happened?"

Person: "I don't want to talk about it."

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I am talking about situations in general. I don't know anything about this specific review event. I really don't. All I can say at this point is that however we (Kotaku) wind up reviewing the next-gen consoles, we'll be as transparent as possible about what we experienced and how we experienced it.

I do know what Adam's upset about (and out of respect to him I'll let him be the one to share it), but it has nothing to do with anything that will affect most gamers.

Does Adam's situation have nothing to do with what Marcus Beer is talking about in the other thread?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87649519#post87649519

It's suggested that this is a one-time event, but Sessler's reaction suggests it's going to be a long-term issue.

ok. I get the issue.

However, why would Sony be the one to want videogame reviewers to only be able to review games at these events? It just does not seem like a thing sony would do.

they been so intune to what we consumers want, and have taken steps to go against the anticonsumer stuff that MS has been doing..Does not make sense that this is whats really happening here.

Sony has nothing to hide with their games, compared to MS who has something underpowered etc etc

In what way is posting this helpful?!? The whole point is 'stop publicly posting shit and then being vague about it' and so then that's exactly what you do. Don't tell us you know what the issue is and then not tell us what the fucking issue is!

hamchan

Yeah this is pretty much nothing that affects most of us regular consumers but it's a huge deal for game journos. Pretty tough for them.

rdrr gnr

Educate yourself on the topic. I'm not typing up a wall of text for a thread full of people who've made very clear over the last two pages or more that they wouldn't care about what would be in it anyway.
So, let me get this straight: You think people are uninformed about the "realities" of reviewers, yet when prompted to elaborate, the best most interesting answer you threw out was "educate yourself on the topic?" Congratulations on matching the quality of the initial post itself.

I, for one, am okay with getting rid of the larger problem that faces games today and that's game reviews.

It's one of the things that is holding games back, the fear of investing millions into a novel idea because it may not be to the taste of reviewers and thus never turn profit.

I don't think reviewers are the ones discouraging novel ideas, it's the consumers. Weird games are very rarely sales hits, unless they've got a serious pedigree behind them.

Shahadan

It seems these games journalist are more worried about clicks then the review which is sad.

Clicks = money. Tha's what make them live. I don't see how its so surprising. A late review means far less clicks, and in the end less ad money and your website will go kaput.

Samyy

ok. I get the issue.

However, why would Sony be the one to want videogame reviewers to only be able to review games at these events? It just does not seem like a thing sony would do.

they been so intune to what we consumers want, and have taken steps to go against the anticonsumer stuff that MS has been doing..Does not make sense that this is whats really happening here.

Sony has nothing to hide with their games, compared to MS who has something underpowered etc etc

Not to mention the cost of flying, housing, feeding, renting space and setting up the infrastructure necessary seems like a ridiculous expense for every single game Sony will release >.>.

Replicant

forcing how? all they have to do is wait a few days to get their own copies

Didn't you know? They'd miss their preciousss clicks.

So, let me get this straight: You think people are uninformed about the "realities" of reviewers, yet when prompted to elaborate, the best most interesting answer you threw out was "educate yourself on the topic?" Congratulations on matching the quality of the initial post itself.

That argument seems to match the kind of quality reviews gaming journalists put out these days.

Because people prefer to read a review before they buy a game than after and holding such an event pre launch means many gamers will be getting pretty unreliable reviews.

I don't think that'd be the case though. I mean, if it were, it'd make it even easier to tell who the sell outs are. Win-win for us in that case, wouldn't you say?

ok. I get the issue.

Like any company, it's in their best interest for their product to be seen under the best possible light. This isn't a consumer issue - and therefore doesn't play into their "pro-consumer" strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom