• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

TheMoon

I got a reasonable deal on Sniper Elite V2 and started playing it the other day. Wanted to try and take screenshots. Was excited when taking a screenshot on the title screen worked flawlessly (I think the Miiverse community doesn't support posting screenshots), then I go and try to take one in-game. HOW ON EARTH do you develop this game and make it automatically go to the pause-menu when one presses the home button. That is so incredibly dumb and completely kills the theoretically possible screenshot function. ARGH! That made me so mad!

Like, it's not that they don't support taking pics from the framebuffer at all like Darksiders 2 or anything. The game simply reacts as if you pressed START. Who came up with this! Otherwise they seem to have done a fine job with the port as the game runs super smooth (might actually go up to 60fps most of the time?, judging based on feel) and renders at a higher res than the original console versions. It's quite nice for a change. Obviously ignoring the fact that they stripped out all multiplayer/co-op modes and there was no DLC support :/

Ah what could've been...

jholmes

I got a reasonable deal on Sniper Elite V2 and started playing it the other day. Wanted to try and take screenshots. Was excited when taking a screenshot on the title screen worked flawlessly (I think the Miiverse community doesn't support posting screenshots), then I go and try to take one in-game. HOW ON EARTH do you develop this game and make it automatically go to the pause-menu when one presses the home button. That is so incredibly dumb and completely kills the theoretically possible screenshot function. ARGH! That made me so mad!

Like, it's not that they don't support taking pics from the framebuffer at all like Darksiders 2 or anything. The game simply reacts as if you pressed START. Who came up with this! Otherwise they seem to have done a fine job with the port as the game runs super smooth (might actually go up to 60fps most of the time?, judging based on feel) and renders at a higher res than the original console versions. It's quite nice for a change. Obviously ignoring the fact that they stripped out all multiplayer/co-op modes and there was no DLC support :/

Ah what could've been...

I think it's intentional, with all the gory violence in the game.

Not excusing it, though.

TheMoon

I think it's intentional, with all the gory violence in the game.

Not excusing it, though.

Doubt it. At least it didn't stop Ninja Gaiden 3: RE from supporting screenshots on Miiverse even. Sniper Elite V2 is rated only PEGI 16, btw, believe it or not lol.

jholmes

Doubt it. At least it didn't stop Ninja Gaiden 3: RE from supporting screenshots on Miiverse even. Sniper Elite V2 is rated only PEGI 16, btw, believe it or not lol.

I beat Ninja Gaiden 3 and at no point did it zoom in on anyone's exploding testicles.

TheMoon

I beat Ninja Gaiden 3 and at no point did it zoom in on anyone's exploding testicles.

Obviously PEGI didn't care :p

edit: it's hilarious how arbitrary age ratings are. these two games are a perfect example. Obviously hyperexaggerated cartoonishly violent NG3 gets an 18 and gritty WW2 sniper game with bullets piercing bones and organs gets a 16.

ozfunghi

Well y'all, after waiting forever I finally got a Wii U 32GB Deluxe. My brother bought it as an early birthday gift for me, knowing that I was dying to play Bayonetta 2.

So, question. I really love the Offscreen play, and I'm noticing some really cheap titles on Amazon. I played the hell out of Arkham City, Deus Ex: HR, and AC3+4 (all on PC). But I'm kind of tempted to just build my library, and have something to jump into every now and then- were these good porting jobs?

I own 3D World, MK8, NG3:RE, ZombiiU. I'm hoping to pick up Wonderful 101 within the week or so, are there are other things people are really loving ? The system came with NSMB so I have that also. DE:HR is one of my favorite Wii U games, alongside Pikmin 3, ZombiU and Earthbound.

I'm just so happy to finally have the system and be part of the Nintendo community again. I loved my Wii, and I kept telling myself I had to get around to buying it before October 24th. Money was tight, and it was a gift that left me so grateful and a bit emotional. But yasss!

You need to play Pikmin 3. Seriously.
As 3rd parties go, Splinter Cell Blacklist was best on WiiU and i really enjoyed it. Also Deus Ex was great (but i never played the game on another platform). Both games have long loading times though, but gamepad integration was very good. DE:HR was one of my favorite Wii U games, alongside Pikmin 3, ZombiU and Earthbound.

Arkham City was good too, AC3 was a decent port (but the game didn't blow me away). But i recommend Deus Ex and SC: Blacklist over them.

blado

I couldn't resist any longer and bought a 3D World Wii U bundle today. I'm planning on getting Tropical Freeze on the eShop before the 2nd as well. I'll probably pick up New Super Mario Bros U used at some point as well. Hopefully I can pick up mario kart at some point as well. I can't wait to own all of these games :D, but 3d world will work for now.

Roo

I couldn't resist any longer and bought a 3D World Wii U bundle today. I'm planning on getting Tropical Freeze on the eShop before the 2nd as well. I'll probably pick up New Super Mario Bros U used at some point as well. Hopefully I can pick up mario kart at some point as well. I can't wait to own all of these games :D, but 3d world will work for now.
Try to get Pikmin 3, New Super Luigi U and ZombiU as well. Amazing games.

So i have fleshed out my wii u library little now im looking to see if i missed any must have titles that i may have passed up by mistake. Here is what i currently have

Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge
Game & Wario
Lego City Undercover
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD
Wii Sports Club
Wii Party U
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Game
Super Mario 3D World
Wii Fit U
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Hyrule Warriors

ZombiU
Assassins Creed 3
Rayman Legends
Assassins Creed 4
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Resident Evil Revelations
Batman Arkham City
Batman Arkham Origins
The lego Movie
Sonic Lost World
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed
Disney Infinity
Skylanders Swap Force
Darksiders 2

AniHawk

So i have fleshed out my wii u library little now im looking to see if i missed any must have titles that i may have passed up by mistake. Here is what i currently have

Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros U
Game & Wario
Lego City Undercover
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Wii Sports Club
Wii Party U
Super Mario 3D World
Wii Fit U
Mario Kart 8
Hyrule Warriors

ZombiU
Assassins Creed 3
Rayman Legends
Assassins Creed 4
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Batman Arkham City
Batman Arkham Origins
The lego Movie
Sonic Lost World
Disney Infinity
Skylanders Swap Force
Darksiders 2

highly recommend new super luigi u. it's pretty much the best 2d mario ever. but i don't want to oversell it - try it for yourself.

69wpm

Dungeons And Robots is a top down game which mixes sci-fi,fantasy and medieval elements in one RPG game. Choose your robot, equip your gear and search the dungeons for the artifact. But you are NOT alone. Traps, demons, orcs and mages are a small example of what you have to defeat.

Release date is still TBD, game mad in Unity, more info here.

JoV

Dunno if this is the right place to post this or not, but my gamepad has stopped working, won't turn on and won't charge.

Tried taking the battery out and then putting it back in a few times, but no dice.

Will ring customer service tomorrow, but will buying a new battery help? Have been meaning to pick up the high capacity battery for a while, and that might kill two birds with one stone.....

LOL GameFly just got a bit better:

error404.png

ozfunghi

Dunno if this is the right place to post this or not, but my gamepad has stopped working, won't turn on and won't charge.

Tried taking the battery out and then putting it back in a few times, but no dice.

Will ring customer service tomorrow, but will buying a new battery help? Have been meaning to pick up the high capacity battery for a while, and that might kill two birds with one stone.....

Not sure if it's the battery if it won't even turn on when you plugged in the cable.

jmizzal

Deep in Hyrule Warriors and just downloaded DKCTF from the Smash bros sale
The rest of the year is gonna be great

Bayo 1+2 Oct
Watch_Dogs Nov
Smash Bros Nov

Plus gonna see if some good VC or eShop games coming out

All of these will hold me until Splatoon which I hope is Feb or March

maxcriden

Deep in Hyrule Warriors and just downloaded DKCTF from the Smash bros sale
The rest of the year is gonna be great

Bayo 1+2 Oct
Watch_Dogs Nov
Smash Bros Nov

Plus gonna see if some good VC or eShop games coming out

All of these will hold me until Splatoon which I hope is Feb or March

FWIW, my prediction:

Jan. SNES Remix
Feb. Yoshi's Woolly World
Mar. Mario Maker
Apr. Mario Party 10
May Splatoon
June Mario vs. DK

FWIW, my prediction:

Jan. SNES Remix
Feb. Yoshi's Woolly World
Mar. Mario Maker
Apr. Mario Party 10
May Splatoon
June Mario vs. DK

Pretty late to announce SNES Remix unless it's digital only?

I would assume that 1 game a month rumor is for retail games, and unless Toad is delayed, I would actually place my chips towards Yoshi being in Jan, only due to it being in development for so long, maybe Mario Maker or Mario vs DK as they appear to be retail as well.

kunonabi

Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U
Game & Wario
Lego City Undercover
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Wii Sports Club
Wii Party U
Super Mario 3D World
Wii Fit U
Mario Kart 8
Hyrule Warriors

ZombiU
Assassins Creed 3
Rayman Legends
Assassins Creed 4
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Batman Arkham City
Batman Arkham Origins
The lego Movie
Sonic Lost World
Disney Infinity
Skylanders Swap Force
Darksiders 2

Retail wise Deus EX is the only thing I can think of although I'm kind of a big fan of Tank! Tank! Tank! as well.

maxcriden

Pretty late to announce SNES Remix unless it's digital only?

I would assume that 1 game a month rumor is for retail games, and unless Toad is delayed, I would actually place my chips towards Yoshi being in Jan, only due to it being in development for so long, maybe Mario Maker or Mario vs DK as they appear to be retail as well.

I dunno, bro. I've never seen Nintendo release one retail game per month on a console in the past...two? Three? Generations. NES Remix was announced the same month it came out last year so I do think SNES Remix as a digital release is possible. I think we'll get Yoshi in Feb. although maybe they'll think there's crossover with Toad and not release it till March. Mario Maker I believe is retail, as are Splatoon and MP10, but I'm fairly sure Mario vs. DK is eShop only. I'm putting it in the June slot where we got Pushmo World this year.

EhoaVash

I was going to pick up bayonetta 2 from gamestop but someone showed me this
lK4Vs8f.png

this deal is for both Kmart & Sears. ( same company ). a lot of the new wii u games you buy there give you back $20 in rewards points system which you can sign up for free, and use it for future purchases. ....i wonder if Kmart is doing this deal for the gamecube smash gamecube bundle o.o if so I will cancel the gamestop pre order right away

ozfunghi

Since the Wii U is hardly getting any more 3rd party games, i once more urge the OP to include Splinter Cell Blacklist in the "recommended" section of the OP. If games like COD: Ghosts, AS:III, Origins, NFSMW, Lost World... all made the cut, then surely Blacklist deserves to be there far more. I've played and finished it, and i can tell you it is a much more enjoyable game than, for instance, Assassins Creed III. It is also a very competent port and according to Lens of Truth, the best console version. And i also don't understand the double standard. In the past, there have been other games recommended by posters in the thread, like Tekken or Injustice, but rejected for reasons other games in the list didn't get rejected. So i'm still not sure, is this a topic to inform Wii U owners of games where the general consenus is positive, or is this the "Captain Smoker's personal Wii U favorites" topic. In which case maybe someone should just make a new topic.

TheMoon

Since the Wii U is hardly getting any more 3rd party games, i once more urge the OP to include Splinter Cell Blacklist in the "recommended" section of the OP. If games like COD: Ghosts, AS:III, Origins, NFSMW, Lost World... all made the cut, then surely Blacklist deserves to be there far more. I've played and finished it, and i can tell you it is a much more enjoyable game than, for instance, Assassins Creed III. It is also a very competent port and according to Lens of Truth, the best console version. And i also don't understand the double standard. In the past, there have been other games recommended by posters in the thread, like Tekken or Injustice, but rejected for reasons other games in the list didn't get rejected. So i'm still not sure, is this a topic to inform Wii U owners of games where the general consenus is positive, or is this the "Captain Smoker's personal Wii U favorites" topic. In which case maybe someone should just make a new topic.

I second this. Blacklist has no business NOT being on this list.

Captain Smoker, where are you?

OryoN

I agree.

Btw, am I the only one really annoyed by the lack of a global Wii U Direct since E3?

The Bayonetta 2 direct was global, no? :/

In any case, I kinda feel the same way in general. Nintendo came out of E3 with so much positive momentum, and while I wouldn't say they've completely squandered it, I feel as though they aren't taking much advantage of it either.

Zeeman

It's honestly pretty bizarre that we still don't have release dates for Smash Wii U and Captain Toad (in NA at least).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The Bayonetta 2 direct was global, no? :/

In any case, I kinda feel the same way in general. Nintendo came out of E3 with so much positive momentum, and while I wouldn't say they've completely squandered it, I feel as though they aren't taking much advantage of it either.

Well, the Bayonetta2 one was a "Bayonetta2" Direct, not a Wii U one.
I agree: at E3 they blow my mind, both for the presentation, the Treehouse, and the actual contents, that testified how they are supporting the console at least until end of 15. Than, they faded away...since E3 we had for Wii U:

- Gamescon: just a trailer (bwe!)
- Fatal frame Nico Nico reveal and stream: just for Japan
- Pokken reveal: for Arcade only, for Japan only
- Treehouse: footage but just for the incoming games, such as Smash or Toad. No firm release date nor furhter details

It's honestly pretty bizarre that we still don't have release dates for Smash Wii U and Captain Toad (in NA at least).

Yes...I'm still waiting for Smash details about date, possible bundles with amiibos, distinctive functions/modes, Toad coverage (even if in PAL it will be on january)
Plus, in the past years they had interesting Wii U Directs to show/announce several games: between September 12 and December 13 Directs we had the announcements for MH3U, COD BLOPS, Ken's rage 2, Worriors Orochi 3 Hyper, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors...I think that it would be good to see another Direct with more details about the incoming games (smash, toad, sonic), more launch windows for some of the 2015 games (at least to clarify those coming in the first half, that should be Mario maker, Splatoon, Yoshi, Project Robot and Mario VS DK for the eshop), and maybe reveal something (FF5 western release? Pokken Wii U version? SMT x FE first footage? Ni-Oh unprecedent partnership (LOL?)

But oh so terrible loading times. Worse than PS3 loading times... puts me off loading it up.

I agree also on that, but once loaded, the level was pretty big, open and without any additional issue, if I remember. Plus, I loved how they managed to really make the Wii U version interesting with the Gamepad, despite it being a multiplatform game.

jmizzal

Now that Smash Bros 3DS is out, I bet we get a ND next week with release dates for Smash WiiU, Amiibos and Toad, or at least huge press release info

Vagabundo

I agree also on that, but once loaded, the level was pretty big, open and without any additional issue, if I remember. Plus, I loved how they managed to really make the Wii U version interesting with the Gamepad, despite it being a multiplatform game.

Agreed. I've never tried a Splinter Cell game, but I've enjoyed it so far.

Cyd0nia

Banned
They seem to like letting games ship, or get close to shipping, before they drop any big bombs. I do think we're due a big ND though. Maybe early November if it follows the pattern of 2013?

Here's a summary of the timeline so far, excluding some mini directs and 3DS centric ones:

Code:
┌ [b]Pre Launch - Sep 2012 Wii U Preview Direct[/b]
|
|	[i]- Bayonetta next-gen betrayalton, lineup preview -[/i]
|
├ [b]Launch[/b]
|
|	[i]- ZombiU, NMSBU, initial launch lineup released -[/i]
|
├ [b]ND - 23 Jan 2013[/b]
| Miiverse update and future plans, W101, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi, SMT/FE, 
| Zelda: WWHD announced
|
|	[i]- drought, some indie games like The Cave etc. but [/i]
|	  [i]next big releases were Lego City Undercover and MH3U,[/i] 
|	  [i]both in March -[/i]
|
├ [b]ND - 17 May 2013[/b] 
| Sonic Lost World, Game & Wario, RE: Revelations, New Super Luigi U
|
|	[i]- RE: Revelations, various eShop games like Cloudberry[/i] 
|	  [i]Kingdom, Mutant Mudds etc -[/i]
|
├ [b]11 June 2013 - E3[/b]
| SM3DW, MK8, Wii Party and Wii Fit U updates, Art Academy Wii U, 
| first video for WWHD, A Link Between Worlds, Smash Bros for 3DS 
| and Wii U shown, DKCTF, X Chronicles etc. 
|
|	[i]- Pikmin 3 released in July -[/i]
|
├ [b]7 Aug 2013[/b]
| More Zelda ALBW and Smash Bros shown, Animal Crossing Plaza, 
| Pokemon Rumble, etc
|
|	[i]- Splinter Cell Blacklist, New Super Luigi U,[/i] 
|	  [i]Pokemon Rumble, Wonderful 101 fill out August and [/i]
|	  [i]Rayman Legends finally releases in early September. -[/i]
|
├ [b]18 September 2013 - Wii Fit U Direct[/b]
| Wii Sports Club announced here too
|
|	[i]- Wind Waker HD, Deus Ex and Mighty Switch Force 2 [/i]
|	  [i]landed in October. - [/i]
|
|	[i]- Wii Sports Club and a DLC-free Arkham Origins [/i]
|	  [i]shipped in early November -[/i]
|
├ [b]ND - 13 Nov 2013[/b]
| Wii Sports Club and free trial of Wii Fit U, more info on Wii U and 
| 3DS titles
|
|	[i]- Ass Creed IV, COD: Ghosts, Zumba, Sonic Lost World,[/i] 
|	  [i]Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games and Super Mario 3D [/i]
|	  [i]World were all released around November in the run up to [/i]
|	  [i]Christmas -[/i]
|
├ [b]Pre-Christmas ND - 18 Dec 2013[/b]
| Hyrule Warriors, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Yoshis New Island, Sonic Lost 
| World DLC, NES Remix (released same day!)
|
├ [b]13 Feb 2014[/b]
| Mario Golf World Tour, Steel Diver Sub Wars, MH4U, Nintendo Pocket 
| Football, more Level 5 games, GBA on Virtual Console
|
|	[i]- DKC:TF released -[/i]
|
├ [b]8 April 2014[/b]
| Smash Bros Direct
|
|	[i]- NES Remix 2 released -[/i]
|
├ [b]ND - 30 April 2014[/b]
| Mario Kart 8 Direct
|
├ [b]28 May 2014[/b]
| Pushmo World announced 
|
|	[i]- Mario Kart 8 released May 30 -[/i]
|
├ [b]10-12 June 2014 - Nintendo E3 Digital Event, Treehouse Live @ E3. [/b]
| Captain Toad, Mario Maker, Codename STEAM, Splatoon, Mario VS DK Wii U, 
| Amiibo, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, LoZ Wii U etc.
|
├ [b]5 Aug 2014[/b]
| Hyrule Warriors Direct
|
└ [b]4 Sep 2014 - [/b]
  Bayonetta 2 Direct

[i]- Hyrule Warriors released in September -[/i]

[i]- Bayonetta due for release this month -[/i]

Some napkin guesstimations on how long it has taken some games to go from announcement to release too - we've nearly cleared the tranche of games that were announced during 2012 and 13, so it stands to reason we'll start to hear more about the 2015 games soon. Interesting how many games went from announcement to release in around 5-7 months:

Code:
NES Remix  				Same Day
Pushmo World aka Pullblox World		Less than 1 Month
Wii Sports Club  			2 Months
ZombiU  				5 Months
NSMBU  					5 Months
Zelda: ALBW (3DS)  			5 Months
Super Mario 3D World			5 Months
Captain Toad  				5/6 Months
Sonic Lost World 			6 Months
W101  					7 Months
Zelda: WWHD  				7 Months
Lego City Undercover  			9 Months
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze  	9 Months
Mario Kart 8  				11 Months
Pikmin 3  				1 Year
Hyrule Warriors				1 Year
Rayman Legends  			1 Year 2 Months
Smash Bros (3DS)  			1 Year 5 Months
Bayonetta 2  				2 Years 1 Month

TheMoon

They seem to like letting games ship, or get close to shipping, before they drop any big bombs. I do think we're due a big ND though. Maybe early November if it follows the pattern of 2013?

Here's a summary of the timeline so far, excluding some mini directs and 3DS centric ones:
Some napkin guesstimations on how long it has taken some games to go from announcement to release too - we've nearly cleared the tranche of games that were announced during 2012 and 13, so it stands to reason we'll start to hear more about the 2015 games soon. Interesting how many games went from announcement to release in around 5-7 months:

Code:
NES Remix  				Same Day
Pushmo World aka Pullblox World		Less than 1 Month
Wii Sports Club  			[s]2 Months[/s] -> [B]2 Years - 2 Years 6 Months[/B] (E3 2011 promo reel, release starting Nov 2013)
ZombiU  				[s]5 Months[/s] -> [B]1 Year 6 Months[/B] (counting Killer Freaks reveal at E3 2011, released Nov 2012)
NSMBU  					[s]5 Months[/s] -> [B]1 Year 6 Months[/B] (E3 2011, NSMB "Mii" - released Nov 2012)
Zelda: ALBW (3DS)  			5 Months
Super Mario 3D World			 [s]5 Months[/s]  -> [B]10 Months[/B] (Announced in Jan 2013, released in Nov 2013)
Captain Toad  				5/6 Months
Sonic Lost World 			6 Months
W101  					[s]7 Months[/s] -> [B]13 Months[/B] (Announced E3 2012, released August/Sep 2013)
Zelda: WWHD  				7 Months
Lego City Undercover  			[s]9 Months[/s] -> [B]1 Year 9 Months[/B] (Announced E3 2011, released March 2013)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze  	9 Months
Mario Kart 8  				[s]11 Months[/s]  -> [B]1 Year 4 Months[/B] (Announced in Jan 2013, released in May 2014)
Pikmin 3  				[s]1 Year[/s]  -> Technically more like [URL="http://kotaku.com/5026096/miyamoto-were-making-pikmin"][B]5 Years[/B][/URL] E3 2008 - rel. July/Aug 2013)
Hyrule Warriors				[s]1 Year[/s] [B]8 Months[/B] (December 2013 - Aug/Sep 2014)
Rayman Legends  			1 Year 2 Months
Smash Bros (3DS)  			[s]1 Year 5 Months[/s] -> [B]3 Years 3 Months[/B] (E3 2011 - Sep 2014)
Bayonetta 2  				2 Years 1 Month

Not really, considering your table is off by a lot for many of the games. TW101 didn't get announced and released within 7 months. Project P-100 got announced at E3 2012 in June, released in August 2013. That's 13 months. Lego City Undercover got announced at E3 2011, released in March 2013. And so on. Announcements aren't the first trailer or final title reveal, it's when they announce they're making a game. I updated the table accordingly.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
In the september 12 direct they announced not only bayo2 but also mh3u, cod blops2, kens rage2, warrior orochi3 and maybe also another game.
It was somehow better than e3.

TheMoon

In the september 12 direct they announced not only bayo2 but also mh3u, cod blops2, kens rage2, warrior orochi3 and maybe also another game.
It was somehow better than e3.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms ...twelve? maybe? Was that announced there?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Romance of the Three Kingdoms ...twelve? maybe? Was that announced there?

Yes, that one.
That direct was great, as the jan 13 one and the e3 of this year. Good also the sonic one and the hyrule one.
Now we already have many games announced, but I still think they should do another wiiu global direct to update us on games but also to share some net contents as the one I suggested yesterday

TheMoon

I have exactly 0 doubts that we'll get one more "big"-ish ND this year. Doesn't mean 5 new top-tier game announcements but just updates on the known stuff plus maybe a first real look at Star Fox or what became of the two Miyamoto Projects by now. If they wanted to, they could even drop a short Zelda teaser in there without taking too much away from a big E3 2015 showing for that one. I'd love to hear about Splatoon's solo modes.

They also really need to talk about what's up with 3DS in early 2015. Surely we could stand to hear something new on Code Name S.T.E.A.M. by now unless those things are all planned for the New 3DS by now and thus they want to cover them post-Holiday when they start talking about N3DS officially.

It's not that they don't have anything to talk about, it's just that they choose not to at the moment. Hoping we don't have to wait long for more reassurance of a great 2015.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
A few of my cables for the Gamepad went missing, so I finally bought them back. Seems like a stupid thing to have impeding me from playing Bayonetta 2 when it comes out.

I can understand Nintendo holding out on the Smash Wii U release date, as to not cannibalize Smash 3DS sales, but with their silence on a Captain Toad release date, I'm beginning to believe it's going to slip into 2015 everywhere. There's absolutely no reason to wait this long to announce a release date if it's coming this year in North America.

I hope I'm wrong, but I've got a bad feeling.

maxcriden

I can understand Nintendo holding out on the Smash Wii U release date, as to not cannibalize Smash 3DS sales, but with their silence on a Captain Toad release date, I'm beginning to believe it's going to slip into 2015 everywhere. There's absolutely no reason to wait this long to announce a release date if it's coming this year in North America.

I really hope you're mistaken. I could see how that could potentially happen, but January is an unusual release month for major Nintendo games so I would be concerned we'd be looking at February at that point. Plus, the first half of 2015 is pretty packed with releases as it stands, most of which seem likely to still hit that window. I dunno. I'm rambling here but I just really want to play Capt. Toad in time for Christmas. I'm taking that week off for some quality time with my wife and I would really love if we could play it during that week. FWIW, Nintendo has the perfect opportunity to promote the game further by announcing its release date as part of a greater release date announcement including the release date for SSB Wii U.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

It seems kinda crazy to miss Christmas with Smash. That game is a system seller, pure and simple.

...well, and the hype around the 3DS game makes me really want to play the real deal version on the WiiU. Like, now.

maxcriden

It seems kinda crazy to miss Christmas with Smash. That game is a system seller, pure and simple.

...well, and the hype around the 3DS game makes me really want to play the real deal version on the WiiU. Like, now.

Maybe I misunderstood Orbital's post, but I thought he was saying he understands delaying the release date announcement for SSB, which he thinks will still hit this year, but not for Capt. Toad, so he's worried the latter will be delayed to 2015.

xandaca

Pretty certain Captain Toad is going to be 2015 worldwide personally. Nintendo have got Smash and Bayonetta 2 as their big end-of-year games and Toad would be better served padding out the early 2015 schedule than potentially being overshadowed needlessly in the Christmas rush. Not that I'll be buying it, but I'm personally expecting it in Feb 2015.

maxcriden

Pretty certain Captain Toad is going to be 2015 worldwide personally. Nintendo have got Smash and Bayonetta 2 as their big end-of-year games and Toad would be better served padding out the early 2015 schedule than potentially being overshadowed needlessly in the Christmas rush. Not that I'll be buying it, but I'm personally expecting it in Feb 2015.

The thing is, the early 2015 schedule doesn't necessarily need padding. I believe we already have Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, Splatoon, and Mario vs. DK scheduled for the first half of the year, not to mention any other last-minute surprises.
#CaptainTO14D

Maybe I misunderstood Orbital's post, but I thought he was saying he understands delaying the release date announcement for SSB, which he thinks will still hit this year, but not for Capt. Toad, so he's worried the latter will be delayed to 2015.

Exactly. I definitely think Smash Wii U is coming this year.

The thing is, the early 2015 schedule doesn't necessarily need padding. I believe we already have Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, Splatoon, and Mario vs. DK scheduled for the first half of the year, not to mention any other last-minute surprises.
#CaptainTO14D

If Toad is early 2015, then I'm fairly certain games that were planned for early next year will all see slight delays. I really, really hope I'm wrong but Nintendo has had a really hard time hitting release dates recently, so I'm just preparing myself for the worst.

maxcriden

If Toad is early 2015, then I'm fairly certain games that were planned for early next year will all see slight delays. I really, really hope I'm wrong but Nintendo has had a really hard time hitting release dates recently, so I'm just preparing myself for the worst.

Just to play devil's advocate further (if I wasn't morally opposed to it I'd apply to that as a full-time job!), I think Nintendo really hits most of its major Mario and Zelda-related release games. I know that sounds odd, but: WWHD, LBW, 3DW, and all other recent Mario/Zelda games seem to have hit their announced window, right? I could be totally misremembering, so I'm just trying to keep some hope alive for #CaptainTO14D here.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Bayonetta 2 is not by any means a "big end of the year game" commercially. Captain Toad is pretty much the second big seller after Smash Bros. and definitely should be there for North America this Fall. This is a crucial Holiday season for the company.

Besides, you can speculate EAD Tokyo was kind of tasked with creating quick sequels with Captain Toad (SM3D engine) and Ultimate NES Remix for this year, because EAD Kyoto had some indefinite development halt as they transitioned to their new Kyoto studio. Basically all the Kyoto games were scheduled for 2015 instantly. So you got Splatoon, Mario Maker, Zelda U, Star Fox U for 2015 alongside other NCL games like Devil's Third, Kirby U, Yoshi U, and Mario Party 10.

Nintendo has a myriad of titles for next year, depending how they decide their schedule.

Just to play devil's advocate further (if I wasn't morally opposed to it I'd apply to that as a full-time job!), I think Nintendo really hits most of its major Mario and Zelda-related release games. I know that sounds odd, but: WWHD, LBW, 3DW, and all other recent Mario/Zelda games seem to have hit their announced window, right? I could be totally misremembering, so I'm just trying to keep some hope alive for #CaptainTO14D here.

You're right, those have all released on time. Hopefully Toad continues that trend!

Top Bottom