• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Mory Dunz

I was going to pick up bayonetta 2 from gamestop but someone showed me this
lK4Vs8f.png

this deal is for both Kmart & Sears. ( same company ). a lot of the new wii u games you buy there give you back $20 in rewards points system which you can sign up for free, and use it for future purchases. ....i wonder if Kmart is doing this deal for the gamecube smash gamecube bundle o.o if so I will cancel the gamestop pre order right away

Wait, Kibry has a boxart, or is that a placeholder? (considering it doesn't have Kirby on it)

maxcriden

Bayonetta 2 is not by any means a "big end of the year game" commercially. Captain Toad is pretty much the second big seller after Smash Bros. and definitely should be there for North America this Fall. This is a crucial Holiday season for the company.

Nintendo has a myriad of titles for next year, depending how they decide their schedule.

That's my thinking as well. I doubt EU would have delayed it if they thought Europe cared much about the game vs. America. It's become increasingly clear how disinterested EU audiences en masse are in Nintendo games, so they probably don't put the same premium on making it a holiday release.

You're right, those have all released on time. Hopefully Toad continues that trend!

Fingers way crossed!

Wait, Kibry has a boxart, or is that a placeholder? (considering it doesn't have Kirby on it)

It's a placeholder. The game won't be out until about a year from now.

Pretty certain Captain Toad is going to be 2015 worldwide personally. Nintendo have got Smash and Bayonetta 2 as their big end-of-year games and Toad would be better served padding out the early 2015 schedule than potentially being overshadowed needlessly in the Christmas rush. Not that I'll be buying it, but I'm personally expecting it in Feb 2015.

Captain Toad is going to handily outsell Bayonetta 2. Let's be serious here. Nintendo would be better off delaying Bayonetta 2 compared to delaying Captain Toad.

Roo

Bayonetta 2 is not by any means a "big end of the year game" commercially. Captain Toad is pretty much the second big seller after Smash Bros. and definitely should be there for North America this Fall. This is a crucial Holiday season for the company.

Besides, you can speculate EAD Tokyo was kind of tasked with creating quick sequels with Captain Toad (SM3D engine) and Ultimate NES Remix for this year, because EAD Kyoto had some indefinite development halt as they transitioned to their new Kyoto studio. Basically all the Kyoto games were scheduled for 2015 instantly. So you got Splatoon, Mario Maker, Zelda U, Star Fox U for 2015 alongside other NCL games like Devil's Third, Kirby U, Yoshi U, and Mario Party 10.

Nintendo has a myriad of titles for next year, depending how they decide their schedule.

Wait wait wait... Devil's Third is being developed in-house?

edit: Nintendo SPD... ohhhhhh D:
Color me surprised.

Ponn

Banned
I'm still going back and forth between PS4 or Wii U this holiday and i know its going to come down to BF deal or bundle. What do we think a Wii U bundle will look like this holiday, another Mario Kart bundle? Mario Kart and another game? Is a Bayonetta Bundle slightly possible? Smash Brothers seems to be coming out on or after BF so a bundle with that seems unlikely. I'm trying to figure out if its even worth it to consider a bundle or maybe look at just getting refurbished instead.

TheMoon

I'm still going back and forth between PS4 or Wii U this holiday and i know its going to come down to BF deal or bundle. What do we think a Wii U bundle will look like this holiday, another Mario Kart bundle? Mario Kart and another game? Is a Bayonetta Bundle slightly possible? Smash Brothers seems to be coming out on or after BF so a bundle with that seems unlikely. I'm trying to figure out if its even worth it to consider a bundle or maybe look at just getting refurbished instead.

These are the new bundles. There will be no Bayonetta 2 bundle. That's not how they roll and you know it^^

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/buynow

bundle-wiiu-supermario3dworld.jpg

Walmart exclusive:
bundle-mariokart-wm.jpg

This is my thinking too. I expect Bayonetta 2 to bomba even harder in NA than it did in Japan.

I actually think Bayonetta 2 will perform better in NA compared to Japan honestly but all that means is it sells 50k week one instead of 30k. It's not going to be a significant increase and it's not going to stop the game from being a financial loss. I still am pretty excited considering I never played any of the Bayonetta games. I don't even have my WiiU yet but I'm getting it launch month.

Frankly I think B2 would benefit from the drastically increased userbase (well, the extra 1.5-2 million users anyway) the WiiU is going to see after the holiday season. Captain Toad considering the price and the genre would thrive a lot if it was a November or December title.

I thought your post said "hardly outsell" and I was confused as hell.

Haha, I should of have used a different word, sorry :p

maxcriden

Think so? I thought it sells more in the west than Japan.

I still expect it bomb, but I think it'll do better in NA.

I actually think Bayonetta 2 will perform better in NA compared to Japan honestly but all that means is it sells 50k week one instead of 30k. It's not going to be a significant increase and it's not going to stop the game from being a financial loss. I still am pretty excited considering I never played any of the Bayonetta games. I don't even have my WiiU yet but I'm getting it launch month.

Frankly I think B2 would benefit from the drastically increased userbase (well, the extra 1.5-2 million users anyway) the WiiU is going to see after the holiday season. Captain Toad considering the price and the genre would thrive a lot if it was a November or December title.

If it were on any other platform, I wouldn't be saying this. But I think for Wii U it won't do too well. FWIW, I don't know that I mean literally worse than Japan in terms of numbers, more relative to overall audience.

Choomp

Banned
The thing is, the early 2015 schedule doesn't necessarily need padding. I believe we already have Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, Splatoon, and Mario vs. DK scheduled for the first half of the year, not to mention any other last-minute surprises.
#CaptainTO14D

I get that you're just saying when these games are currently slated to release, but I don't see those all coming out in early '15 tbh, hopefully those are spread out, and they really don't seem like January-March type titles either, Mario Party I can see there.

maxcriden

I get that you're just saying when these games are currently slated to release, but I don't see those all coming out in early '15 tbh, hopefully those are spread out, and they really don't seem like January-March type titles either, Mario Party I can see there.

I don't see any games coming out in January. We saw DK in Feb. last year so I think that makes any of these fair game for Feb. - June. Here are my predictions for the calendar:

Jan. SNES Remix (eShop)
Feb. Yoshi's Woolly World
Mar. Mario Maker
Apr. Mario Party 10
May Splatoon
June Mario vs. DK (eShop)

Is there any specific reason you don't see these games coming out in the announced window?

I think that's reasonably spread out when we also have Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Zelda, and Xenoblade Chronicles X (and who knows what else) coming in the latter half of the year. Devil's Third and SMT x FE could also hit next year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Mario game next Holiday season, Paper or otherwise, or an HD remaster of a game.

BTW, I forgot there's also the Star Fox/Miyamoto project coming next year, and I want to say that's tentatively coming in the first half of the year, although given the very limited information on it, I could see that one not hitting till the second half of the year.

Oddduck

I don't see any games coming out in January. We saw DK in Feb. last year so I think that makes any of these fair game for Feb. - June. Here are my predictions for the calendar:

Jan. SNES Remix (eShop)
Mar. Mario Maker
Apr. Mario Party 10
May Splatoon

Is there any specific reason you don't see these games coming out in the announced window?

I feel like you're a little optimistic about Yoshi's release date...or maybe I'm too pessimistic of Nintendo's ability to release games in a timely manner.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The thing is, the early 2015 schedule doesn't necessarily need padding. I believe we already have Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, Splatoon, and Mario vs. DK scheduled for the first half of the year, not to mention any other last-minute surprises.
#CaptainTO14D

Wouldn't be surprised if some of that stuff slips.

If it were on any other platform, I wouldn't be saying this. But I think for Wii U it won't do too well. FWIW, I don't know that I mean literally worse than Japan in terms of numbers, more relative to overall audience.

I think it will easily do more than 33k during it's first tracking period honestly. Relatively is hard to quantify because Japan and NA are extremely different markets for the vast majority of games and systems. I mean, W101 did about 20k first month in NA. I don't see any planet where B2 doesn't outperform it by a good margin.

maxcriden

I feel like you're a little optimistic about Yoshi's release date...or maybe I'm too pessimistic of Nintendo's ability to release games in a timely manner.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of that stuff slips.

The game was originally announced in January 2013. The build at E3 looked pretty far along. Nintendo is plenty capable of releasing games in a timely manner--look at 3DW or LBW last year, for example. Also, DK: TF was announced June 2013 and released February 2014. They've become much better about announcing them closer to release, in fact, than they used to. (Holding onto hope here, Yoshi, Kirby and Toad are my most anticipated games!)

I think it will easily do more than 33k during it's first tracking period honestly. Relatively is hard to quantify because Japan and NA are extremely different markets for the vast majority of games and systems. I mean, W101 did about 20k first month in NA. I don't see any planet where B2 doesn't outperform it by a good margin.

Whereas this is the kind of thing I'm just more pessimistic about. I just don't see fifty thousand people among the Wii U's limited audience, for example, grabbing this game in the first month. I could be totally wrong about this. W101's mega-bomba just really curbed my expectations further, and this game has a "2" in the title, so casual players may not realize they'll be able to play the first game along with this one. Plus, say what you will about W101's demo putting off potential buyers, but it's also possible that demo gave the game much better exposure than it might have had otherwise. I dunno. I don't like to be pessimistic about *anything* Nintendo (that's a shock, right?). I just am wary of this game doing very well in sales. OTOH, I think even W101 will out-perform Devil's Third, at least in the West, by a considerable margin.

The game was originally announced in January 2013. The build at E3 looked pretty far along. Nintendo is plenty capable of releasing games in a timely manner--look at 3DW or LBW last year, for example. Also, DK: TF was announced June 2013 and released February 2014. They've become much better about announcing them closer to release, in fact, than they used to. (Holding onto hope here, Yoshi, Kirby and Toad are my most anticipated games!)

Whereas this is the kind of thing I'm just more pessimistic about. I just don't see fifty thousand people among the Wii U's limited audience, for example, grabbing this game in the first month. I could be totally wrong about this. W101's mega-bomba just really curbed my expectations further, and this game has a "2" in the title, so casual players may not realize they'll be able to play the first game along with this one. Plus, say what you will about W101's demo putting off potential buyers, but it's also possible that demo gave the game much better exposure than it might have had otherwise. I dunno. I don't like to be pessimistic about *anything* Nintendo (that's a shock, right?). I just am wary of this game doing very well in sales. OTOH, I think even W101 will out-perform Devil's Third, at least in the West, by a considerable margin.

I don't wanna make this a thread about sales because it's about hyping great looking games so I won't drag this on too much longer but honestly, despite my extreme pessimism about the WiiU as sales platform, Bayonetta 2 will do about 50k first month. I'm not really worried about that. I guess we'll know mid November.

maxcriden

Optimism is so much more fun than pessimism.

I'm definitely optimistic about the release schedule. And I agree with you. I'm just not as optimistic about Wii U sales for Bayonetta 2.

I don't wanna make this a thread about sales because it's about hyping great looking games so I won't drag this on too much longer but honestly, despite my extreme pessimism about the WiiU as sales platform, Bayonetta 2 will do about 50k first month. I'm not really worried about that. I guess we'll know mid November.

I hope you're right, I'd like nothing more than for Wii U games to enjoy impressive sales or those that are above expectations.

Don't you mean you're the Devil's Third Advocate? ;) I'm probably the first or second. XD

Hero pls

XD

Choomp

Banned

Jan. SNES Remix (eShop)
Mar. Mario Maker
Apr. Mario Party 10
May Splatoon

I would just think they'd sell better being released in like Q4, but if that's how they're doing it, spread out like that, I'm fine. Wii U has had spurts of games, if all of those games are decent and end up coming out once a month that'd be cool.

TheMoon

I'm honestly still surprised that Devil's Third is alive.

I'm more amazed at how interesting it actually is. That 2010 footage looked so dumb and that was all I could base my opinion on. I hated the rumors that Ninty might've picked it up based on that. Now with the crazy mp and weird sword/gun mix they've shown I'm pretty psyched.

TheMoon

Tbh, there are so many other games I would rather see Nintendo fund than this. Like Zack and Wiki 2.

They'd have to have started making one. And it would have to be one they would/could never do internally. ZombiU2 would fit that bill. Except for the part where it's developed in-house by a publisher and not an independent dev with a publishing deal for the game.

They'd have to have started making one. And it would have to be one they would/could never do internally. ZombiU2 would fit that bill. Except for the part where it's developed in-house by a publisher and not an independent dev with a publishing deal for the game.

I just want Z&W2 more than anything :(

Why? The game was further along then Bayo 2 when Nintendo picked it up, its just getting better polish under Nintendo
It's just that it was announced during the previous gen and pretty much looked like it would end up on PS3/360, then it just went quiet and you forgot about its existance. Suddenly it's emerging on Wii U. I didn't even remember that the game existed until we were told Nintendo picked it up. You'd think it was cancelled by the lack of news, still it's good to see that someone picked it up.

I'm more amazed at how interesting it actually is. That 2010 footage looked so dumb and that was all I could base my opinion on. I hated the rumors that Ninty might've picked it up based on that. Now with the crazy mp and weird sword/gun mix they've shown I'm pretty psyched.
Yeah it's looking much better now, can't say the same when it was shown in the early stages last gen.

Tbh, there are so many other games I would rather see Nintendo fund than this. Like Zack and Wiki 2.
That's my favorite Wii game. Aside from the controller not walking smoothly in certain gameplay moments that game was great in all ways. Games like that are why I bought a Wii...I want a sequel so badly :(

jmizzal

I think Nintendo published games like Bayo 2, Devils Third, and Fatal Frame because those are the kinda game they dont make in house, character games like Zack and Wiki they make a lot of those and would rather a publisher make it and put it on WiiU, where as mature games like those others publishers would prob not put it on WiiU

maxcriden

I would just think they'd sell better being released in like Q4, but if that's how they're doing it, spread out like that, I'm fine. Wii U has had spurts of games, if all of those games are decent and end up coming out once a month that'd be cool.

Most def. They could do a lot better all coming out Q4 since that's when people shop more, but I would hope some of these are so evergreen (like Yoshi) that they'll sell well throughout the year and then see a holiday sales spike. I imagine that was the thinking behind releasing DK: TF in Feb. and MK8 in May.

I just want Z&W2 more than anything :(

I really need to give the game another shot. I tried to get into it but found it just ridiculously hard.

I think Nintendo published games like Bayo 2, Devils Third, and Fatal Frame because those are the kinda game they dont make in house, character games like Zack and Wiki they make a lot of those and would rather a publisher make it and put it on WiiU, where as mature games like those others publishers would prob not put it on WiiU

FWIW, Nintendo does make a lot of games with a similar look to Z&W, but interestingly, they haven't made a point and click-style adventure game like Z&W in a long time.

Roo

Wasn't there a rumor about Nintendo working on another remake to fill the gaps between every big release?

Ponn

Banned
These are the new bundles. There will be no Bayonetta 2 bundle. That's not how they roll and you know it^^

Hmm...thanks but was hoping for something different. I liked the Zelda bundle from last year. I will wait and see if they have any further discounts for BF or extra bundled games on a per store basis.

Hiltz

Wasn't there a rumor about Nintendo working on another remake to fill the gaps between every big release?

Yeah, the rumor was apparently from the same person who predicted/leaked the announcement of Pokemon remakes and Devil's Third becoming a Wii U exclusive. Anyway, the game in question may actually be a remaster and not a remake which would take longer to develop and naturally cost more as well.

The rumor also stated that Nintendo will be releasing a new game pretty much every month next year. Although, we currently only have confirmation of the following games for 2015: Capt Toad (for Europe in January), Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker ,Kirby & Rainbow Curse, Star Fox, Splatoon, Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles X , Mario Party 10 and Miyamoto's tech demo projects, Project Guard and Giant Robot ,which may or may not be full-fledged games. There's also a new eShop title next year with Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

Titles such as Devil's Third and Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei are currently not confirmed for release in 2015. We also don't know if Fatal Frame 5 will be localized (but chances are it won't be).

TheMoon

We also don't know if Fatal Frame 5 will be localized (but chances are it won't be).

Chances are it will be. :) There are more signs pointing to yes than to no. But this has been beaten to death in the Fatal Frame topics already.

Yeah, the rumor was apparently from the same person who predicted/leaked the announcement of Pokemon remakes and Devil's Third becoming a Wii U exclusive. Anyway, the game in question may actually be a remaster and not a remake which would take longer to develop and naturally cost more as well.

The rumor also stated that Nintendo will be releasing a new game pretty much every month next year. Although, we currently only have confirmation of the following games for 2015: Capt Toad (for Europe in January), Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker Kirby & Rainbow Curse, Star Fox, Splatoon, Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles X , Mario Party 10 and Miyamoto's tech demo projects, Project Guard and Giant Robot ,which may or may not be full-fledged games. There's also a new eShop title next year with Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

Titles such as Devil's Third and Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei are currently not confirmed for release in 2015. We also don't know if Fatal Frame 5 will be localized (but chances are it won't be).
I'm still pissed that they didn't localize Fatal Frame 4. That was the only time I wished badly that Nintendo didn't take over a series since I had bought all three ones before it and wanted the fourth. I finally bought the game anyway. It was so close to coming out in Europe too...I bet they even finished translating it :/ Anyway I won't be surprised if FF5 stays in Japan as well.

jmizzal

The rumor also stated that Nintendo will be releasing a new game pretty much every month next year. Although, we currently only have confirmation of the following games for 2015: Capt Toad (for Europe in January), Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker ,Kirby & Rainbow Curse, Star Fox, Splatoon, Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles X , Mario Party 10 and Miyamoto's tech demo projects, Project Guard and Giant Robot ,which may or may not be full-fledged games. There's also a new eShop title next year with Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

Thats plenty to have a game released every month, even if eShop counts, plus we know there are games that are not announced yet that will come out next year.

This is the most announced first party WiiU games ever even more then after the big Jan direct 2 years ago.

Hiltz

Chances are it will be. :) There are more signs pointing to yes than to no. But this has been beaten to death in the Fatal Frame topics already.

I hope it does get localized, but I'm keeping my expectations low since the last two Fatal Frame titles were not, and this is despite how Iwata is new CEO of Nintendo of America.

Hiltz

Thats plenty to have a game released every month, even if eShop counts, plus we know there are games that are not announced yet that will come out next year.

This is the most announced first party WiiU games ever even more then after the big Jan direct 2 years ago.

Yeah, let's hope Nintendo has just a few more surprises left, though I think the only ones would be a potential remaster as the rumor claims (and a possible localization of Fatal Frame 5). I doubt we'll get any new major games beyond that. 3DS, of course, has to have a better year of support than compared to this year's, and we know Nintendo has some software planned specifically for the new 3DS model too.

. If I remember correctly, back on the Wii, it had around as much as 10 titles released on it (developed and/or published) in two different years of its lifespan.

TheMoon

I hope it does get localized, but I'm keeping my expectations low since the last two Fatal Frame titles were not, and this is despite how Iwata is new CEO of Nintendo of America.

Only one was not localized and that was because of the bug issue. 2 out of 3 games got localized, both of them being the most recent ones. One of them skipped NA because Wii was dead at that point and NOA didn't do niche games like that (see OpRainfall).

Spirit Camera getting a global release and Zero 2 Wii getting a full PAL translation are quite a reassuring indicator that a localization is still very much in the cards, especially considering the JP release was completely timed around the movie.

Hiltz

Only one was not localized and that was because of the bug issue. 2 out of 3 games got localized, both of them being the most recent ones. One of them skipped NA because Wii was dead at that point and NOA didn't do niche games like that (see OpRainfall).

Spirit Camera getting a global release and Zero 2 Wii getting a full PAL translation are quite a reassuring indicator that a localization is still very much in the cards, especially considering the JP release was completely timed around the movie.

I see. I wasn't aware of the specifcs behind those Fatal Frame titles. However, I thought I read recently that Tecmo Koei Europe stated Fatal Frame 5 was only for Japan.

openrob

I see. I wasn't aware of the specifcs behind those Fatal Frame titles. However, I thought I read recently that Tecmo Koei Europe stated Fatal Frame 5 was only for Japan.

The general argument from the "It-will-be-localized" camp basically point out that Temco Koie aren't gonna announce it over a tweet. Secondly, as a Fatal Frame Holloywood movie was announced,the game may get released alongside that.

Top Bottom