• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: new update available (5.1.0) - Wii U to Wii U transfer + eShop controllers

Spinluck

Are you kidding me? It works like 3DS system transfer? One should be able to just sign into their account on a second Wii U FFS.

Oh nevermind.

Fuck off Nintendo. I thought this was gonna be a way for us to have two Wii U's share content!!

Nosgoroth

PSN parity list:

☐ Remove stupid option to easily nuke the whole NNID from the system it's linked to. URGENT.
☑ Purchases tied to NNID
☑ Ability to move NNID between systems when both systems present
☐ Ability to unlink NNID from system when system present (Now: possible via CS)
☐ Ability to unlink NNID from system without system present (Now: possible via CS)
☐ Ability to link NNID to more than one system
☐ Ability to easily move individual saves between systems
☐ Some sort of cloud saves

Making progress.

This is cool. But they need to finally allow us to use the pro-controller and gamepad in wii mode.

This is actually literally impossible for them to do. When you launch a Wii game, the Wii OS isn't running in the background. You know the menu that pops up with the options to return to the home screen and all that? Yeah, that's not the OS, each game had to be coded with that in there. They also had to be coded to load up what drivers they needed, since the OS isn't in the background to manage that either. Essentially, each game disc comes packed with the menu and drivers that it needs.

What that means is that there is nothing Nintendo can do to make the pro controller and gamepad work in Wii Mode. Games can't be patched, and each and every game would need to be patched to make it happen, which isn't feasible or even possible. They could technically, I guess, patch the Wii Menu to work with gamepad and pro controller, but if it doesn't extend to any other function there's no point

PSN parity list:

☐ Remove stupid option to easily nuke the whole NNID from the system it's linked to. URGENT.
☑ Purchases tied to NNID
☑ Ability to move NNID between systems when both systems present
☐ Ability to unlink NNID from system when system present (Now: possible via CS)
☐ Ability to unlink NNID from system without system present (Now: possible via CS)
☐ Ability to link NNID to more than one system
☐ Ability to easily move individual saves between systems
☐ Some sort of cloud saves

Making progress.

You forgot one.

Hmmmm... so if someone has multiple accounts on system A, could they do a transfer to a new system B and then retransfer back to system A, relink 1 account and then have the others open for other Wii Us?

Me and an old roommate both made NNIDs on a friend's launch Wii U before we found out about the link system. We both now have the accounts tied to our 3DSes as well and would like to keep that account for when we get a Wii U. No Wii U purchases have been made on the system other than the owners.

I was mistaken on point 2, any accounts removed from the target system are still linked on the back-end to that system, they can just be relinked at any time. Sorry, that's my misunderstanding of their FAQ

Really, when you get a Wii U, just call Nintendo and have them unlink your NNID from your friend's Wii U and then you can relink it on yours. Painless process, if a bit of a hassle

JoeM86

Why would they allow you to get something for free? You attitude is exactly what they are trying not to feed.

Indeed. If they do allow it, they'd have to put restrictions for sharing content on it.

Just allowing multiple consoles to log in and play the same downloaded content, is just asking for the business to collapse.

Indeed. If they do allow it, they'd have to put restrictions for sharing content on it.

Just allowing multiple consoles to log in and play the same downloaded content, is just asking for the business to collapse.

They should really just do the XBO/PS4 system: one home console where anything your profile buys can be played by all the other profiles, and any other console you sign into is a "guest" console. where your content is accessible as long as you stay signed in

Stops rampant sharing, but still allows you to access your digital library at a friend's house and play as long as you're there

rpmurphy

Why would they allow you to get something for free? You attitude is exactly what they are trying not to feed.
My Google account is shared among multiple devices that I own and never once had I ever had to go through the hassle of managing links, and I don't think anyone has ever had upset Google for this... why can't it be the same for NNIDs? The issue is not of linking to multiple devices, it's of people sharing their account with other people; they are not necessarily the same problem and both can be solved.

Duallusion

Still not quite there yet. When I unlink NNID from one system I want to be able to link it to another system without having to have both systems present. And then be able to redownload my games on a new system, since they're not playable on the first one anyway.

Hopefully they'll manage to pull it off before or at their next-gen systems launch.

Spinluck

Yeah. I'm a fucking bottom feeding thief. Who wants to be able to save all his content to another Wii U and give his siblings his old Wii U (which has their profiles on it). I just want my new Wii U to retain all my own info while I let them have my old one. Most of our games are physical copies. You think I'd buy a game digitally from them with the shit system they have in place? This isn't about me sharing games with them, but not losing my content when I give them my old Wii U and allowing them to keep theirs.

People defending Nintendo's bullshit make me scratch my head. Sony had it right with PS3, not sure how the PS4 handles this.

PS I do not live near them, at all. And I let them borrow my Wii U till Smash.

Kitoro

Now how about some N64 games on the Wii U VC? I'm dying for Smash 64 playable with my Pro Controllers. I'm done with dealing with Wii Remotes that eat through batteries even when they're off.

Yeah. I'm a fucking bottom feeding thief. Who wants to be able to save all his content to another Wii U and give his siblings his old Wii U (which has their profiles on it). I just want my new Wii U to retain all my own info while I let them have my old one. Most of our games are physical copies. You think I'd buy a game digitally from them with the shit system they have in place? This isn't about me sharing games with them, but not losing my content when I give them my old Wii U and allowing them to keep theirs.

People defending Nintendo's bullshit make me scratch my head. Sony had it right with PS3, not sure how the PS4 handles this.

PS I do not live near them, at all. And I let them borrow my Wii U till Smash.

PS3: Two consoles can be linked to your PSN ID. All your downloads are available to both these consoles without limits. Any content downloaded to these two systems is playable by any profile also on the systems. If you sign into a new console and try to download something, you need to deactivate an old console from your account, which can only be done a limited amount of times in a certain time span

Xbox 360: Digital content is tied to two things upon first download: gamertag and the console it's being downloaded to. The first console it's downloaded to is now that content's "home" console. It can be played offline or by any other profile on the console. If you sign in on a different console and download it, that console is the game's "guest" console, and can only be accessed while the profile is signed in. When they sign out, the data remains but is unusable. Each game has it's own home console depending on where it was downloaded.

PS4: accounts now have "home" consoles, where any digital content purchased by that account is available offline and to all other profiles. When the account signs in on another PS4, that console is a "guest" console, and digital content is only available as long as the person stays signed in. When they sign out, the data remains but is unusable

Xbox One: same as PS4

Wii U: Purchases are tied to an NNID, and that NNID is tied to a console. You can not sign in on other consoles. In order to put your NNID on another console, you must call Nintendo and have them unlink your NNID from their end so you can relink to another. It's uncommon, but they can deny you this, especially if you're doing it a lot. Downloaded content on your console is accessible by all other profiles

imae

No proper account system yet, sigh. Having to call Nintendo is such bullshit to people who don't even have a Nintendo Call Center available.

You are right in that purchases are essentially tied to a system. but there IS an account system.

Your purchases are tied to / recorded on your Nintendo Network account, but that account is also tied to the console.

Nintendo are just very serious about protecting the value of their software and it's why the 1 console restriction is there. It does suck that legitimate consumers have to suffer because of those that will abuse a multiple console account system, but at least they seem to be working towards giving the user more control of their digital purchases.

flohen95

Why shouldn't it allow you to share an SD card between Wii U and Wii modes?

Also, why is the SD port required for Wii mode compatibility? I mean, they even removed it from the Wii Mini!.

Since no one answered yet (unless I saw that wrong), I'll do.

The Wii U uses, as far as I am aware, a proprietary format for external storage. This means that you can't use a USB stick or harddrive that you use on your Wii U with your PC unless you reformat it. The Wii, on the other hand, used SD cards formatted in FAT32, which is usable on PC.

To avoid exploits like the one with a modified Twilight Princess save to install homebrew, Nintendo opted for this proprietary format. You can't put any of your Wii U files on your PC and then back onto your Wii U that way. It's pretty understandable that they did it that way, even though it's not as customer friendly. Think Sony's Vita memory cards, only that every USB medium can be used.

Since an SD card can't have two formats at once, Wii U will not save data on an SD card formatted for use with it's Wii mode. It will let you save pictures or Mii AR codes on there so you can transfer them to your PC, however.

The only way to make the SD card usable with Wii U's Wii U mode would be to be able to format it in Wii U's proprietary format, which would make it unrecognizable for it's Wii mode. Since Wii can't use USB storage devices, Nintendo opted not to give that option, since they figured that you'd probably rather be able to use external storage in Wii mode than to have the option to use SD card external storage in Wii U mode even though you can easily use any USB storage device.

That's really the only thing were you could blame them: Not giving you the choice to use the SD card slot for Wii U mode rather than for Wii mode. Using the SD card slot for both, however, is technically impossible (due to their way to protect against homebrew and thus, piracy).

The SD port isn't required, however, since Wii U's Wii mode is internet compatible, you can download stuff on it. If you do, you will need the SD card slot, since Wii's internal storage was really, really small (and since Wii U basically turns itself into a Wii when booting Wii mode and Wii not being compatible with more internal storage, you can't use Wii U's internal storage but only the part of it designated to be the simulated internal storage for Wii mode). Not having an SD card slot would have made the Wii Shop Channel basically unusable.
Since Wii Mini doesn't have a way to connect to the internet, it doesn't need an SD card slot. I mean, you could probably fill up your internal storage with enough save files, but I've never had that happen.

Sayter

PS3: Two consoles can be linked to your PSN ID. All your downloads are available to both these consoles without limits. Any content downloaded to these two systems is playable by any profile also on the systems. If you sign into a new console and try to download something, you need to deactivate an old console from your account, which can only be done a limited amount of times in a certain time span

Xbox 360: Digital content is tied to two things upon first download: gamertag and the console it's being downloaded to. The first console it's downloaded to is now that content's "home" console. It can be played offline or by any other profile on the console. If you sign in on a different console and download it, that console is the game's "guest" console, and can only be accessed while the profile is signed in. When they sign out, the data remains but is unusable. Each game has it's own home console depending on where it was downloaded.

PS4: accounts now have "home" consoles, where any digital content purchased by that account is available offline and to all other profiles. When the account signs in on another PS4, that console is a "guest" console, and digital content is only available as long as the person stays signed in. When they sign out, the data remains but is unusable

Xbox One: same as PS4

Wii U: Purchases are tied to an NNID, and that NNID is tied to a console. You can not sign in on other consoles. In order to put your NNID on another console, you must call Nintendo and have them unlink your NNID from their end so you can relink to another. It's uncommon, but they can deny you this, especially if you're doing it a lot. Downloaded content on your console is accessible by all other profiles

I'm wondering just how many main stream consumers have more than one of the same console in one dwelling?

oatmeal

Banned
Hopefully this will stop my system from crashing 50% of the time when i quit MK8.

No other game does it...

Also, need folders.

Or broken. If it won't turn on, this won't help.

I knew someone who's 3DS had a broken wifi, and he couldn't replace it because all his digital purchases were on it which couldn't be transferred to another 3DS because of no wifi. I told him to call up Nintendo and ask for system transfer to new 3DS, but since it was an OOR, I don't think it would've helped much. He'd probably have to live with it forever. At least he can't buy any more digital games so thats a plus.

I'm wondering just how many main stream consumers have more than one of the same console in one dwelling?

I wouldn't say it's terribly common, but it's not uncommon, especially for families with kids. Plus it's kind of irrelevant how many houses have more than one, the option should always be there.

I will say it's very easy to see why MS and Sony both switched to the same system. The 360 and PS3 methods were easily abusable to share games with friends. Now it's almost impossible. I personally have no issues with the "home console" method.

Kater

Banned
Noticed that there was an update when I started the eShop today. Neat.
It's still the best way to use the internet browser and play Pikmin 3 (though I'm guessing some people will disagree with me on that). :-/
You are absolutely right. There is no better way to watch YouTube videos in bed. :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
good and unexpected update. the transfer is a very positive improvement.
now I still need folders, please, thank you.

Now we just need Pro Controller support for Miiverse. Go, Nintendo, Go!

There is.

Is there Pro Controller support for Settings yet? As soon as that is done, I'm getting rid of my Gamepad forever (in a box, sealed away forever).

I can see the headlines now:
NeoGAF circa September 2014 said:
Nintendo Co., Ltd. will discontinue the Gamepad controller for the Wii U system this September. The firm will introduce a new standard $199.99 model that will include a Wii U Pro Controller.

I should also mention that both Microsoft and Sony use a "home" system for PS4 and Xbox One, where the user sets one console as their "home," where anything bought on their account can be played by any user on the system, and any other console they sign into is the "guest" console, where anything they bought can be played for as long as they remain signed in.
But you can easily change the home PlayStation console. You can't do the same with Nintendo.

Hatchtag

Banned
I haven't been in the loop with the Wii U for a while, but
1) Is the Wii U gamepad still unusable in wii mode despite mirroring the tv screen?
2) Are there any plans for it to ever be usable?
3) Are there any technical reasons for it not to ever be usable?

1) Is the Wii U gamepad still unusable in wii mode despite mirroring the tv screen?

This is actually literally impossible for them to do. When you launch a Wii game, the Wii OS isn't running in the background. You know the menu that pops up with the options to return to the home screen and all that? Yeah, that's not the OS, each game had to be coded with that in there. They also had to be coded to load up what drivers they needed, since the OS isn't in the background to manage that either. Essentially, each game disc comes packed with the menu and drivers that it needs.

What that means is that there is nothing Nintendo can do to make the pro controller and gamepad work in Wii Mode. Games can't be patched, and each and every game would need to be patched to make it happen, which isn't feasible or even possible. They could technically, I guess, patch the Wii Menu to work with gamepad and pro controller, but if it doesn't extend to any other function there's no point

From another one of my posts

1) yes
2)no
3)yes

NotLiquid

I doubt we'll see a Gamepad-less SKU anytime soon. Amiibo is a going to be a big driving force this following year and a Wii U without that would not really sit well. They could release a cradle but the point of Amiibo is universal simplicity - anyone can use it for little to no additional peripherals or cost, as well as it applying to more than just one game. Removing the Gamepad is removing a significant advantage Amiibo has, and it arguably puts the U in the same camp as Xbox One, as while the console will be cheaper, they've essentially downsized the significance of their developers and working partners doing Gamepad-centered products at a consequence-free rate since everyone would have had the access to that special feature (though Kinect was arguably more offensive than the Gamepad so there's less consumer ambivalence there).

I've actually looked forward to a stability update. Quick Start has been a great feature but the console has crashed on me during startup several times since the update. Hope this remedies the problems.

They should really just do the XBO/PS4 system: one home console where anything your profile buys can be played by all the other profiles, and any other console you sign into is a "guest" console. where your content is accessible as long as you stay signed in

Stops rampant sharing, but still allows you to access your digital library at a friend's house and play as long as you're there

Sounds like a good system. How does this work if you sell your home console and then buy a new system?

Edit: Oops, answered above.

Sounds like a good system. How does this work if you sell your home console and then buy a new system?

Mysterious was kind enough to provide us with the link so I didn't have to google it.

Basically you can do it from your console before you sell it, or from their website afterwards

Of course, that's an important part of Sony's system. Nintendo doesn't use the "home" system, they use the "one and done" system. I've just been explaining the different methods companies use throughout the thread so people have an accurate comparison point. Not defending Nintendo's way at all, just explaining.

T-0800

There is.

Is there Pro Controller support for Settings yet? As soon as that is done, I'm getting rid of my Gamepad forever (in a box, sealed away forever).

I really don't understand how people don't like the gamepad. Best controller ever imo. Playing something like Batman that is just a port is so much better on the Wii U thanks to having the map displayed at all times. Not to mention off screen play. I just don't get the dislike for it. To me it seems that Nintendo are the only ones trying somethind different.

I can't remember the last time I played anything on my PS4.

New animation:
ss-gp-wiiu-sdcarddatamovingtosystem-lg-700x394.png

Where are my folders? :(
That would be a major feature so firmware 6.0?

They REALLY need to universally remove whatever saved data-lock they have on this system. It's the thing I hate most about the Wii U. The original Wii allowed users to copy saved data to a new system (aside from the handful of online-enabled games, which were locked to the hardware). There's some people out there with 100+ hour Wonderful 101 saves, ha! Ain't no one got time to re-do that shit if your system breaks down! =/
Not going to happen for security reasons. Saves are locked by a private key because public key encrypted saves are an attack vector. If the key was NNID based then being able to copy saves to an SD card would be fine and practical (like it is on the 3DS).

Hmmmm... so if someone has multiple accounts on system A, could they do a transfer to a new system B and then retransfer back to system A, relink 1 account and then have the others open for other Wii Us?

Me and an old roommate both made NNIDs on a friend's launch Wii U before we found out about the link system. We both now have the accounts tied to our 3DSes as well and would like to keep that account for when we get a Wii U. No Wii U purchases have been made on the system other than the owners.
Actually that may have been a misunderstanding. However, I wonder what this means:
"There is a limit of 12 Nintendo Network IDs that can be linked to a single Wii U at one time"
What happens if there are more than 12 between the two systems? Do the excess get unlinked or can the excess only be linked if you delete or transfer again? Or will the excess somehow migrate when you do that transfer and so you are left with unusable IDs.

You can turn off the screen (which I do), but the gamepad isn't completely off. It's still draining the battery.
I've heard walking it out of range will turn it off.

Actually that may have been a misunderstanding. However, I wonder what this means:
"There is a limit of 12 Nintendo Network IDs that can be linked to a single Wii U at one time"
What happens if there are more than 12 between the two systems? Do the excess get unlinked or can the excess only be linked if you delete or transfer again? Or will the excess somehow migrate when you do that transfer and so you are left with unusable IDs.

From my understanding, the NNIDs on the target Wii U get booted off, but are still tied to that console on the back-end (like how when you delete the user associated with an NNID, the NNID isn't there any more, but it's still tied to the console. You can only reattach it to a new user on the same system).

So if a Wii U with 7 users gets transferred to a Wii U with 6 users, the 6 users on the target get booted off and replaced with the 7 from the source. Those 6 users can then be reattached to the target, but since 12 is the max, not all 6 will be able to be placed back on. One will just be floating in the nether.

elektrixx

Banned
That's good. That's something. I'd like to use the pro controller to nav the eShop as it's pretty much the only controller I use.

It sure beats the PS4's "updates".

Grampasso

System Transfer? Revision incoming?

Wii U firmware updates are dog slow to download. I'm just going to leave it in standby and hope it's done by tomorrow morning.
Do you really need that? I thought they implemented the autodownload for system updates even if it's turned off

dolabla

Put it on the charging craddle.

Unfortunately, there isn't a plug by that will keep it close to me :-(, otherwise I'd do it. I'd like to have gamepad right next to me just in case I run into levels (for example, the Toad levels on 3D World) that require the use of the gamepad.

I've heard walking it out of range will turn it off.

Interesting. I haven't thought about that. I'll try it out. Thanks!

Top Bottom