• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

That's more likely provisioning from ms end, the Bing search doesn't always work on handsets due to coverage but the bing webpage does

edit : try resetting your live password.

just placed an order for the 8x for t-mobile. Ordered it from Target...the website was confusing so i called it in........i had the worst time ordering a produt over the phone ever....she had a thick Indian accent that i couldnt understand....she couldnt understand me....ugh...anyways i put in overnight shipping........then she tells me its back ordered....this is BS....i should have just waited till they go on sale.....worst experience ever....

That's more likely provisioning from ms end, the Bing search doesn't always work on handsets due to coverage but the bing webpage does

edit : try resetting your live password.
tried it but no luck :(
it's so weird as everything else works, calls, texts, 3g data, even synching to the hotmail account im trying to use (as just a mailbox) works but trying to sign into it to use as the phone's main account just doesn't work. ill give it a few days to sort itself out as ive work tomorrow, otherwise it's back to the shop.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Finally got my Lumia!

WP_000233.jpg

Top comparison with the 900:

Also, my phone has SUPERPOWERS:

Lumia 920 said:

Samsung Focus S said:

These are from underneath my work desk.

Okay...picked up the HTC 8X - it's lovely...but is there any known way to force the Spotify 7.5 app to download to it?! The lack of my playlists is KILLING me. :(

PG2G

Okay...picked up the HTC 8X - it's lovely...but is there any known way to force the Spotify 7.5 app to download to it?! The lack of my playlists is KILLING me. :(

No, it wouldn't work. Spotify used native code and lower level APIs which means it is no longer compatible with Windows 8.

Kinda bizarre. I can't tell if this is the same problem other people were having. My Microsoft account says "attention required" under the accounts list, and then when I open up that account it says "Hotmail password incorrect" even though I'm not using hotmail. I know what my Microsoft account password is, and I use it all the time on my xbox and skydrive. That password worked on the phone for all of the actual Microsoft account services like xbox and skydrive. I can see my xbox friends and access my OneNote notebooks on skydrive. Only, for some reason it says my password is incorrect. Plus, every time I enter the correct password on the Microsoft account settings screen and it tries to sync, the saved password is one character longer than it should be according to the number of asterisks.

PG2G

I'm having trouble getting Zune Software to recognize my Lumia 810. Any advice?

You no longer use Zune (unfortunately) for Windows Phone 8. You need to download the Windows Phone desktop app

So how do I sync playlists from my PC again? Also, video podcasts. I have windows 8 if that helps.

Windows 8 (Xbox Music app) has no support for podcast. In WP8 you can subscribe on the phone just as you would in WP7. Or does it treat video and audio podcasts differently? I know a lot of regions don't have the podcast support, so might need to look into apps for it if that is the case.

Playlists you'll just use the Windows Phone desktop app. If you want cloud playlists, create them in Xbox Music (or on an Xbox)

You no longer use Zune (unfortunately) for Windows Phone 8. You need to download the Windows Phone desktop app

Windows 8 (Xbox Music app) has no support for podcast. In WP8 you can subscribe on the phone just as you would in WP7. Or does it treat video and audio podcasts differently? Playlists you'll just use the Windows Phone desktop app. If you want cloud playlists, create them in Xbox Music (or on an Xbox)

I downloaded that and it is terrible.

*edit*

I suppose I can still play around in the Zune software and then sync over whatever I download with the Windows Phone Desktop App. Booooourns Microsoft.

PG2G

I downloaded that and it is terrible.

I agree, unfortunately. It is an app preview, so hopefully more functionality will come (and quickly). I think Windows Media Player is also capable of being used for sync.

The only good thing about the new setup is it seems like it is now open enough for a third party to write sync clients.

Everyone with a 920 is going to be so buff after a month. Dat tank.
I went to get my old Lumia 900 activated for my son and they have 8X on display and it is a nice phone. Feel great in the hand but yeah, I am ok with my super heavyweight phone. Love the red ... People at my work think I have a case on it.

Troll

Banned
I went to get my old Lumia 900 activated for my son and they have 8X on display and it is a nice phone. Feel great in the hand but yeah, I am ok with my super heavyweight phone. Love the red ... People at my work think I have a case on it.

When I saw the red in person I really liked it. That and the black impressed me, those were the two colors that I really didn't think looked good in pics but ended up being pretty great.

Finally got my Lumia!

Top comparison with the 900:

Also, my phone has SUPERPOWERS:

These are from underneath my work desk.

Cyan brothers!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Playlists you'll just use the Windows Phone desktop app. If you want cloud playlists, create them in Xbox Music (or on an Xbox)

There is a desktop app? It only downloaded the metro app when I plugged in my phone and I don't see options for playlists.

PG2G

There is a desktop app? It only downloaded the metro app when I plugged in my phone and I don't see options for playlists. Also, the on phone podcast support is horrible. Most of the podcasts are super old.

It kinda sucks too and isn't going to help you with podcasts.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop?wa=wsignin1.0

I just used the on phone podcast support this morning. Didn't seem like it auto downloaded, I had to go in there and poke around a bit. I'm guessing it doesn't check too frequently.

The other option is to use an app

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The black matte on my 920 seems much nicer than my 900, it is a bit lighter plus my 900 looks like it has a texture to it. Maybe that is just from use?\

Edit: The marketplaces seems to being really slow for me at the moment on the phone and PC. Having trouble re-installing apps.

PG2G

seriously?

ok a little research seems to show that zune software will work? What about my xbox ... Can i sync playlists to my phone through the 360?

Zune software is useless with WP8. Xbox has Xbox Music and you can use it to make cloud playlists.

ny advice for anyone using WP8... Get Windows 8. Especially if you're planning to have an Xbox Music Pass

Zune software is useless with WP8. Xbox has Xbox Music and you can use it to make cloud playlists.

ny advice for anyone using WP8... Get Windows 8. Especially if you're planning to have an Xbox Music Pass

Sadly I have Windows 8 and I still find myself using Zune. Its just vastly superior, and it has great podcast management! The only time I use Xbox Music is when I get bored of what I currently have.

PG2G

Sadly I have Windows 8 and I still find myself using Zune. Its just vastly superior, and it has great podcast management! The only time I use Xbox Music is when I get bored of what I currently have.

agreed, but its necessary for cloud collection, the pass (since Zune DRM is different) and creating cloud playlists.

Razdek

Banned
Anyone else having issues with twitter apps authorizations? I've tried rowi, gleek, mehdoh, metweets and I can't get authorized for any of them. I wonder if this has to do with the new twitter policies.

Liberty4all

Banned
Ok. Im coming from 2 years of IOS and tonight was really my first time getting to really see wp8 in action.

live tiles on the start page giving me an instant overview of multiple information sources

start page having my most important apps arranged how I want them

social media baked into the OS. Very nice

metro oriented apps like CNN, metrotube (so good), linkedin, etc. I'm finding those apps that have been optimized for wp8 are universally better than IOS in terms of visual appeal and often (but not in all cases) functionality as well

dislikes:

the keyboard is going to take awhile to get used to. I hate that it doesn't auto capitalize and aldo found auto correct to be a touch more accurate on ios

Ironically the things I like about the start menu are also things I dislike ... On IOS I organized apps into category specific folders with close to 100 apps on my ios start page alone. With wp8 its just not feasible ... Unless I want to scroll ... On the other hand this is forcing me to prioritize and I do like the live tiles giving me an instant overview of multiple apps without having to open them.

hate having to constantly click screen for signal indicator ... Wtf were they thinking? First app I downloaded was a proper battery gauge app.

overall wp8 is going to take me awhile to get used to. I hope I don't end up missing IOS too much!

hate having to constantly click screen for signal indicator ... Wtf were they thinking? !

I'm always baffled by this. Is there a reason why you want to check signal all the time? I seriously want to know, because signal strength is something that I never EVER check--it's just never on my mind. I've seen it as a complaint several times, so I'd definitely like to hear why!

Troll

Banned
I'm always baffled by this. Is there a reason why you want to check signal all the time? I seriously want to know, because signal strength is something that I never EVER check--it's just never on my mind. I've seen it as a complaint several times, so I'd definitely like to hear why!

I think it's more of a habit for most people. I'm not really sure how having two bars vs full bars changes your decision on using your phone, but I guess someone else can clear that up for me too. The only way that it really makes a difference that I can see is if you live in an area with an extremely weak signal. Other than that though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom