• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberty4all

Banned
I think it's more of a habit for most people. I'm not really sure how having two bars vs full bars changes your decision on using your phone, but I guess someone else can clear that up for me too. The only way that it really makes a difference that I can see is if you live in an area with an extremely weak signal. Other than that though...

I find the lack of battery percentage when browsing more annoying. I hate having to back out to check ... And it's something I check once ever couple of minutes. I never realized this before but I sure do now :p

Troll

Banned
I find the lack of battery percentage when browsing more annoying. I hate having to back out to check ... And it's something I check once ever couple of minutes. I never realized this before but I sure do now :p

If you must check your power levels constantly, you can hold the back button down and pull up the card view. Then when you're satisfied just punch back into the app that you were using. Maybe after using the OS for a while you become less obsessed with these types of things, idk.

derFeef

It's just habits. After I switched from iPhone to WP7 I missed it too, but today I do not mind it anymore, glad it's gone in most cases, even.

frontieruk

I'm always baffled by this. Is there a reason why you want to check signal all the time? I seriously want to know, because signal strength is something that I never EVER check--it's just never on my mind. I've seen it as a complaint several times, so I'd definitely like to hear why!

baffles me too. Its not like it doesn't display when you go to make a call.

he is right on auto capitalization, it auto capitalizes after . Like so, but

it doesn't for a new paragraph though it does for the first paragraph. It does for names like James, Sarah etc and does when referring to ones self such as I am just writing jibberish now, and I find the auto correct more accurate but I'm used to watching for what I'm actually typing rather than relying on the OS to guess what I'm actually trying to type.

Klocker

I'm always baffled by this. Is there a reason why you want to check signal all the time? I seriously want to know, because signal strength is something that I never EVER check--it's just never on my mind. I've seen it as a complaint several times, so I'd definitely like to hear why!

me too I guess it depends on where you are and what you do but I never look and love the minimalist look of the screen.

I cringe when I see all the info in your face on the other Os's

I'm used to watching for what I'm actually typing rather than relying on the OS to guess what I'm actually trying to type.

I remember reading an MS dev talking abut the keyboard and said number one rule... trust the autocorrect! :)

When I do and dont try to interpret it myself, I find it pretty good. It actualy recognizes context within a sentence pretty well and gives you good words when it sees what you might be trying to say.

Liberty4all

Banned
baffles me too. Its not like it doesn't display when you go to make a call.

he is right on auto capitalization, it auto capitalizes after . Like so, but

it doesn't for a new paragraph though it does for the first paragraph. It does for names like James, Sarah etc and does when referring to ones self such as I am just writing jibberish now, and I find the auto correct more accurate but I'm used to watching for what I'm actually typing rather than relying on the OS to guess what I'm actually trying to type.

Thanks frontieruk for explaining how auto cap works. I wonder why they chose not to capitalize new paragraphs. Minor quibble really.

Also that's cool about the hold back feature. I'll use that to tab while surfing from now on.

I guess I'll be learning all the tricks over the next few days.

frontieruk

If you must check your power levels constantly, you can hold the back button down and pull up the card view. Then when you're satisfied just punch back into the app that you were using. Maybe after using the OS for a while you become less obsessed with these types of things, idk.

doesn't on the 8x

wp_ss_20121115_0001.png

Firestorm

Now that more people have WP8, can someone give me a screenshot of how the index and maybe a thread page look for my forums in IE10 on WP8? It looks like complete ass in WP7 but just fine on iOS, Android, and probably BlackBerry. Really hoping IE10 is fine...

http://nuggetbridge.com/forums

Thanks!

Walshicus

Posted about some of my wordament difficulties earlier but this is a bit more concise (essentially what I posted on the support site, no response yet):

Hi all,

I'm currently using a Lumia 920 on an Orange/EE contract in the UK.

I'm able to go to the WP Marketplace and download Xbox Live games, and I'm able to browse the internet. I can download email from my Hotmail account. In the Xbox hub I can see friends and send messages. My avatar view in the Xbox hub is up to date and shows the correct gamerscore.

What I can't do is connect to Xbox Live in games. In Wordament the game tells me it can't connect to Live. In Gamechest: Solitaire I can play the game but checking the Leaderboards section of the Scrapbook gives the error "The System Cannot Connect to Xbox Live."

In addition I can't get past the validation stage on WhatsApp.

Any ideas? I've noticed my phone doesn't have an MEID value in the expanded "about" section.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also that's cool about the hold back feature. I'll use that to tab while surfing from now on.

I guess I'll be learning all the tricks over the next few days.

While using the browser in portrait mode, you can tap the ellipsis to bring up the top status bar, then just swipe it down when you're done.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Because you are using inferior Windows Phone. Seriously, I do love the 8X, it looks and feel great, if not for Nokia godly camera 8x would be my choice. Anyway you still need to swipe to get info on top, it is that way on the Lumia too.

On my phone I don't have to swipe to get the status bar when I go into the cards screen.

hadareud

The Translator
In the browser you can also hold and then swipe in the bottom right corner and the battery/network stuff will show up (Lumia 920).

Totakeke

Sinofsky says he never tried to take over the Windows Phone division.

In a blog post by Hal Berenson, a former Microsoft distinguished engineer, Sinofsky has replied in the comments section to dispute some facts around rumored internal battles. Berenson claimed in his post that Sinofsky had lost recent attemps to control Windows Phone and Microsoft's developer division. "I never initiated any discussions to bring together the organizations/products you describe," says Sinofsky. "No one ever approached me to manage them as part of Windows 7 or 8."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/15/3648552/steven-sinofsky-windows-phone-comments

WPGaf, how do you judge him?

hwalker84

So where is everyone buying the 8x? No one has it around here it seems :(

My Fiancé (TMobile) is trying to get it since the Samsung Ativ S has disappeared in America. She's so ready for a new phone she even caved to getting a blue phone.

On a side note. Universal Apps are really needed for Windows Store + Phone.

Milchjon

My Fiancé (TMobile) is trying to get it since the Samsung Ativ S has disappeared in America. She's so ready for a new phone she even caved to getting a blue phone.

On a side note. Universal Apps are really needed for Windows Store + Phone.

I think I read a few days ago that the Ativ will arrive in December. I think it was on wmpoweruser

NeOak

So it seems the battery issue is (according to WPCentral) NFC related and happens in both Lumias as well as in the 8X.

WTB Firmware update.

hwalker84

So it seems the battery issue is (according to WPCentral) NFC related and happens in both Lumias as well as in the 8X.

WTB Firmware update.

Not with mine. After I let the phone fully die 2-3 times. The battery is fantastic. Went from Tuesday 12pm - Wednesday 10pm. Before the phone reached critical.

NeOak

Not with mine. After I let the phone fully die 2-3 times. The battery is fantastic. Went from Tuesday 12pm - Wednesday 10pm. Before the phone reached critical.

Same with mine. I haven't charged it since yesterday morning and it still has 49% left.

PG2G

MS_Nerd is saying that OEM pushback on Surface is part of the reason why he is gone. Seems dumb though, that should have been obvious to everyone in Microsoft.

I'm split, on one hand it is seeming increasingly like he may have been the cause of the SDK and "annoucnement" releases till the last minute, but he may not have

I don't really think he ever had much to do with anything Windows Phone. He probably has more to do with why Windows and Windows Phone aren't more similar.

MS_Nerd is saying that OEM pushback on Surface is part of the reason why he is gone. Seems dumb though, that should have been obvious to everyone in Microsoft.

I don't really think he ever had much to do with anything Windows Phone. He probably has more to do with why Windows and Windows Phone aren't more similar.
But still, doesn't it seem odd to you? Even with the SDK, they said that it would release a few months before release, but then they go pitch quiet, ignoring all questions about the OS/SDK until it came out. When you look at it, it sort of looks like they just adopted the Surface model for secrecy. It's why I'm split, if he did make a play for leadership, it would easily explain the rapid change in secrecy within the WP division.

... Of course if it was just a general order from say Balmer, it would also make sense.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Bell Canada is releasing the HTC 8X 16GB for $49.99 on a 3 year plan:

Link

That's pretty decent, cheaper than Rogers.

Also it seems like my store/marketplace issues have sorted themselves out. I don't know what the hell was going on last night. I had a bitch of time redownloading apps, sometimes it would time out and lose connection to the store? Weird.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My phone lost 80% charge in 6 hours under relatively heavy use. It definitely won't make it to the end of my workday. I'm not too worried because aside from firmware tweaks which I'm sure Nokia and MS will release, one factor that nobody mentions in these discussions is signal strength and consistency, which is absolute battery poison.

My at&t signal is crap, they've been horrible lately and the signal strength indicator is always jumping around. The phone is constantly reconnecting with the varying signal and intermittent data and I know that is affecting my battery life significantly.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My phone lost 80% charge in 6 hours under relatively heavy use. It definitely won't make it to the end of my workday. I'm not too worried because aside from firmware tweaks which I'm sure Nokia and MS will release, one factor that nobody mentions in these discussions is signal strength and consistency, which is absolute battery poison.

My at&t signal is crap, they've been horrible lately and the signal strength indicator is always jumping around. The phone is constantly reconnecting with the varying signal and intermittent data and I know that is affecting my battery life significantly.

I notice I tend to jump from 4G to 3G, probably doesn't help.

I'm in a bit of dilemma today.

Conserve battery and lose out on a lot of things that we take for granted on smartphones, or let the battery drain by 20% every 7 hours of idling? I really like push email and notifications and oh my, being uber-connected, but...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It is weird, with my 900 I could use Local Scout by setting the search to US, but with the 920 I still get the Local Scout button, but nothing is found in the search? Does it have anything to do with not having Bing Maps on the phone??

Thankfully the swiping to the side for Bing movies, news, etc. works.

hwalker84

I'm in a bit of dilemma today.

Conserve battery and lose out on a lot of things that we take for granted on smartphones, or let the battery drain by 20% every 7 hours of idling? I really like push email and notifications and oh my, being uber-connected, but...
Seriously try letting the phone die several times. Even after dying see if it powers on. If it does let it die again.

After I let the phone complete die twice. My battery became more than my 900 ever was.

Seriously try letting the phone die several times. Even after dying see if it powers on. If it does let it die again.

After I let the phone complete die twice. My battery became more than my 900 ever was.

You may not want to look at my list of background tasks. It fills pages! I think hay has something to do with it.

Turn them all off, or keep the functionality...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom