• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone with a 920 been able to download smart shoot at all? i tried but it must've had trouble installing, and now i can't delete the app from my phone, and it has a greyed out progress bar as if it's still downloading/installing. it won't disappear after switching the phone off and if i try downloading it again it just keeps happening. :(

hwalker84

anyone with a 920 been able to download smart shoot at all? i tried but it must've had trouble installing, and now i can't delete the app from my phone, and it has a greyed out progress bar as if it's still downloading/installing. it won't disappear after switching the phone off and if i try downloading it again it just keeps happening. :(
Yes I downloaded it the first night with no issues.

There was issue with Microsoft Store Marketplace , I would try it again later to see if problem go away. Last I heard the problem is still sporadic.

lol, Joe dropped the "why don't you just drag and drop your mp3's into the phone" line. What the hell is this, android? Get that shit outta here, give me full device sync, and give it to me without that turd software from Apple.

It feel to me like they have feeling that nobody like using Zune to sync and just want to get away from that which is fine and good, but the on device management need to be more robust. I find it funny that on his twitter he said to just keep using Zune and then sync via that shitty Metro App.... so basically we need two applications to do the task that was done by one on previous version.

And again beating dead horse, that Xbox Music software is just plain shit. I hope that it's not done by ex-Zune team and by product of Windows 8 team. I have un-sync all my music and just doing them all now via the good old Windows Media Player.

Is there a black one?

Yes, there are red, black, yellow and blue (purple). The phone is beautiful, when it is cheap off contract next year, I might get one as my back-up phone. I didn't know the phone has LED light in the grill ... pretty neat.

I was at my local At&t store and they told me that they are completely sold out of Lumia 920 in the Southwest Washington area (the other Vancouver) and have no ETA on when the next batch will show up. It is pretty sad they have all the promo poster up and demo unit running but no phone to sell. She said all the phones they got in were gone by the first day and everyone is asking for red and yellow.

(By the way they are clearing out all Lumia 900 accessories including headphones at discount price, I pick up nice case for my son for just $5.00).

Liberty4all

Banned
At grand opening Microsoft store in Toronto its packed.
VTltM.jpg

Beta app is trash for podcasts. It recognizes the podcasts and syncs them to the phone but won't automatically delete the ones I've already viewed. Also, it crashes way too much.

I can't get any program (W8 app or W8 desktop app) to recognize my Zune-downloaded podcasts as podcasts. They all go into my phone as regular music.

It tells me "invalid imei number" on the Nokia site for the free wireless charger. :'(

What did you use for the unique code? Is this UK only?

EDIT: Goddammit.

Entry is via online only. 1. The Free Wireless Charging Plate offer only applies to customers who have purchased a qualifying Nokia Lumia 820 or Nokia Lumia 920 promotional handset available through any P4U store, online or call centre between 02/11/12 and 31/12/12. 2. Open to residents of the UK and Republic of Ireland aged 16 or over, excluding employees and their immediate families of Nokia UK Ltd and P4U, its agents and anyone professionally connected with the promotion. 3. Opening date for applications is 16/11/12. Closing date for receipt of applications is midnight 30/01/13. 4. The offer is subject to availability. Customers are only eligible to redeem once per Nokia Lumia 820/ 920 purchased, while promotional phone stocks last. No cash alternatives in whole or in part. 5. The offer can be redeemed by visiting www.nokiafreecharger.com, 14 days after purchase and entering the unique code printed on this sticker and IMEI number which came with the phone (found on the side of your Nokia box). Customers must then complete an online form containing their name, address, mobile phone number, email address, date of purchase and date of birth. 6. The Free Wireless Charging Plate will be sent within 28 days of valid application. Only applications that adhere fully to the terms and conditions are valid. The Promoter reserves the right to verify any application. 7.The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries that are misdirected, lost, delayed, damaged or corrupted during delivery to or from the Promoter due to any computer malfunction, virus, bug, delay or other reason whatsoever. 8.The Promoter reserves the right to amend or withdraw the promotion in whole or in part without prior notice or compensation if circumstances make this unavoidable. By participating in this promotion consumers agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. 9. In the event of any dispute the decision of the Promoter will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. The law of England and Wales shall apply to this promotion. 10. The promoter is Nokia UK Ltd, 2 Kingdom street, London W2 6PY (no correspondence to this address please). In the event of queries, please call the helpline on 0843 308 7877.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't get any program (W8 app or W8 desktop app) to recognize my Zune-downloaded podcasts as podcasts. They all go into my phone as regular music.

What did you use for the unique code? Is this UK only?

EDIT: Goddammit.

ah, I didn't have any code, just gave it a shot anyway. Also, it won't see Zune podcasts, I had to set them up again on iTunes. Still a horrible solution because it doesn't take them off my device when I've viewed them.

antique, can you sync podcasts through WMP?

ah, I didn't have any code, just gave it a shot anyway. Also, it won't see Zune podcasts, I had to set them up again on iTunes. Still a horrible solution because it doesn't take them off my device when I've viewed them.

iTunes?

ibqaEB13L8xMlh.gif

Had hoped I would never need to use that POS again...although it sounds like it got improvements. Will give it a shot. I tried syncing podcasts via WMP, and it recognizes them as music, not podcasts/other media.

Hmm...

For some reason, I'm still playing videos and messing around at 0% battery on my Lumia 900.

*wonders whether this is common on WP handsets*

No, someone in the Lumia thread it may be a software bug, although in that case, they thought that the incorrect battery level was causing the phone to shut down...doesn't seem to be the issue with you.

Cj70

iTunes?

ibqaEB13L8xMlh.gif

Had hoped I would never need to use that POS again...although it sounds like it got improvements. Will give it a shot. I tried syncing podcasts via WMP, and it recognizes them as music, not podcasts/other media.

No, someone in the Lumia thread it may be a software bug, although in that case, they thought that the incorrect battery level was causing the phone to shut down...doesn't seem to be the issue with you.

Windows Phone 8 is the only device that has forced me to use ITunes!

I've never installed it before, not even for my IPad. It's a crazy situation and they don't seem to really understand the problem =/

Guess we'll just need to keep harassing them on twitter until they listen. I'm quite surprised no non US tech writer has picked up on it and written a piece.

NeOak

You may be refering to my posts where i posted screenshot of a negative value for battery and the eternal battery i got now according to my phone.

I've never installed it before, not even for my IPad. It's a crazy situation and they don't seem to really understand the problem =/

Guess we'll just need to keep harassing them on twitter until they listen. I'm quite surprised no non US tech writer has picked up on it and written a piece.

paging The Verge....

No, it doesn't see podcasts folder (which is pretty stupid) as separate category. You would have to add Podcast folder to music folder on WMP, then it would show up as part of Music Collection and then you can sync it from there ... but then you still have to manage your Podcast download using Zune or iTunes. Like I said earlier it's pretty lame solution using 3 applications to do the job that was done by one.

I just manage them on the phone, as I don't like my music mix with my podcast on WMP.

I think they just want you to manage everything via your phone like you did with your iPad. My family doesn't like to sync stuff either and I think that is the norm going forward. We are just dinosaurs that like to micro-manage our collection.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Had hoped I would never need to use that POS again...although it sounds like it got improvements. Will give it a shot.

Nope, still a steaming pile of crap. Still locks up my PC, still takes forever to boot up, still takes forever to add new files cause it wants to go back and re encode my old wma files, and still refuses to close by warning me its doing some process that I never asked it to do in the first place. Its bad software and Apple should be embarrassed to be associated with it.

MS should also be embarrassed about the sorry excuse for a sync app that they put out.

zorbsie

I think they just want you to manage everything via your phone like you did with your iPad. My family doesn't like to sync stuff either and I think that is the norm going forward. We are just dinosaurs that like to micro-manage our collection.

But some of us don't have the option to manage podcasts from our phones. Podcasts are only available in the US.

Love my 920, but this is just fucked. Hoping it gets fixed quickly.

But some of us don't have the option to manage podcasts from our phones. Podcasts are only available in the US.

Oh, yeah, forgot about the non-US podcast support bullshit. I never understood that.. is it copyright thing, local laws thing?

Nope, still a steaming pile of crap. Still locks up my PC, still takes forever to boot up, still takes forever to add new files cause it wants to go back and re encode my old wma files, and still refuses to close by warning me its doing some process that I never asked it to do in the first place. Its bad software and Apple should be embarrassed to be associated with it.

Joy. Can't wait!

It's marginally better for the US. You can "manage" podcasts on the phone, but you can't search or add by RSS, so you're stuck looking into Xbox Music's list of podcast...which isn't so bad, but out of the 9 podcasts I listen to, 4 aren't listed.

zorbsie

Oh, yeah, forgot about the non-US podcast support bullshit. I never understood that.. is it copyright thing, local laws thing?

I don't know for sure, but it can't be that. I mean I can search and find podcasts with itunes. I would be happy with an rss field to add podcasts manually. I don't have to have the podcast marketplace.

Does app like Podcasts! get around the restriction? I used to use Podcasts! app when I first got Windows Phone 7 and there was no podcast support originally.

I still used it sometimes when built in podcast fail to download podcast or when looking for something difference.

There is also Slapdash app.

Cj70

Does app like Podcasts! get around the restriction? I used to use Podcasts! app when I first got Windows Phone 7 and there was no podcast support originally.

I still used it sometimes when built in podcast fail to download podcast or when looking for something difference.

There is also Slapdash app.

Yea the podcast apps still work (though i get bad audio quality from them but i think that's just my 8x needing returned)

It still seems ridiculous that we have a podcast section on xbox music and the only way to get anything into it is to use iTunes and a sync app that rarely runs without crashing.

Hoping the MS solutions isn't just to hide podcasts entirely outside of the US.

No idea why they don't offer podcast market (outside US) or rss subscription. It's really weird.

I was really psyched about Slapdash, until I realized it doesn't save your position that you last listened in the podcast if you listen to something else after the podcast.

Podcasts! is okay, but I really wish there was an app that let you add podcasts by URL AND those added podcasts were included in your Xbox Music library (as podcasts).

Liberty4all

Banned
They had 920s only black (not sure about 8x). Im also not sure if off contract or not ... Sorry man i meant to ask but it was insane in there. Like an apple store the day before Christmas but worse. I did score tickets to the train concert tomorrow though !

zorbsie

Podcasts! is okay, but I really wish there was an app that let you add podcasts by URL AND those added podcasts were included in your Xbox Music library (as podcasts).

This would be the most ideal solution. I wouldn't mind using an app to get the podcast if the app could integrate the files into my xbox music library. You can't play games and listen to podcasts with Podcasts! or Slapdash. Really annoying.

yes they do but only the stand up one ... 69 dollars D:
OK I can wait then. I'm assuming it only came in black right?

Liberty4all

Banned
OK I can wait then. I'm assuming it only came in black right?

yup only black. I went back and forth on it as i really wanted the flat or fatboy pillow one but ended up picking it up ... Who knows when the rest of the accessories are going to show up ... Just so you know the wireless charger works even if you have a bumper on your phone.

cube444

They had 920s only black (not sure about 8x). Im also not sure if off contract or not ... Sorry man i meant to ask but it was insane in there. Like an apple store the day before Christmas but worse. I did score tickets to the train concert tomorrow though !

:lol I don't blame you dude. So you're going back tomorrow for the concert?

PG2G

Was actually thinking of writing this. Need to verify that apps can write to podcasts library but that should be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom