• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

I know ... Its not really a good solution for me ... I refresh compulsively especially on GAF. Maybe ill try it and see if it bothers me.

Mobile GAF does have it's own refresh button at the bottom of the page in threads which is what I use most of the time, and you could just hit the address bar and the 'enter' (not sure what other way to describe it) arrow down in the bottom right to refresh.

Not ideal of course but I'd take the tab button myself over a quicker way to refresh.

Liberty4all

Banned
Mobile GAF does have it's own refresh button at the bottom of the page in threads which is what I use most of the time, and you could just hit the address bar and the 'enter' (not sure what other way to describe it) arrow down in the bottom right to refresh.

Not ideal of course but I'd take the tab button myself over a quicker way to refresh.

im so stupid you are right (about mobile gaf refresh button).

changed button to tab and bing to google ...

kazinova

I can't have Google as my default search engine anymore.
google.png
sux.png

This weird formatting has never helped anyone, why does google do this to me?

thirty

Banned
Man, the POI database in Nokia Maps is pretty bad. I have been trying to find stuff and no luck. Even finding it in bing and then opening Nokia Maps from the card won't pull up the right place. It is basically useless without knowing the address here (Los Angeles)

How is it for you guys?
terrible too, but if you search via Bing, it will find what you are looking for, then you can tap "drive" to launch navigation.

terrible too, but if you search via Bing, it will find what you are looking for, then you can tap "drive" to launch navigation.

That's what I do usually, and I find the current way work OK. I read some complain about the way map is implement during review but so far I think it a good set up. Search for what I want then hit Drive to open drive up or use direction via Bing.

Unless I miss something? Heading out of town in a bit so I will see how all these directions, Nokia view and map work.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The built in podcast support is trash. I have new episodes stuck in "pending", with no way to force the download. WiFi or not. I don't even know what to do anymore. Any podcast app that works flawlessly? I heard some don't keep your place, obviously that won't work for me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The built in podcast support is trash. I have new episodes stuck in "pending", with no way to force the download. WiFi or not. I don't even know what to do anymore. Any podcast app that works flawlessly? I heard some don't keep your place, obviously that won't work for me.

Have you tried BringCast?

thirty

Banned
no issues with podcast management. Did find oddities in the music store where some albums and songs aren't available on Xbox console but not on phone. Hope this improves.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Everything sucks, according to this page :-D

its unbelievable how these idiots took one of the strongest parts of the platform, PC music and podcast syncing, and trashed it entirely. I'm flabbergasted. The desktop app says it synced some playlists from iTunes, but when I get to work.....those playlists aren't there. I'll have to try syncing my Zune playlists, which contain Zune pass music. But if I do that, it erases the iTunes video podcasts I have stored. Seriously, lastflowers, who can I punch in the face for this?

PG2G

I was hoping to be able create lists of favorite places. It doesn't look like there is anyway to do that anymore in the standard Bing maps. Oh well, I'm sure Nokia Maps will improve soon.

Cj70

This seems to be the man in charge of managing podcasts on wp8

https://mobile.twitter.com/robgreenlee

he has been asking people to let him know what podcasts to add.

Won't help people like me in the UK having no podcast market though :(

That and the few 8x specific issues are my only problem with the platform. Everything else seems great.

frontieruk

I can't see your image, but I have my Samsung Focus Flash and Lumia 920 on the same page from Bing search and the Focus Flash has a favorite button and the Lumia 920 doesn't

Wow Nokia really can make some overarching changes that OS level stuff

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Got the 8X off of Wirefly for $130! But it's backordered :( willing to wait though. Crazy Tmobile wants you to throw down $250 when you buy directly from them.

Heretic

Got the 8X off of Wirefly for $130! But it's backordered :( willing to wait though. Crazy Tmobile wants you to throw down $250 when you buy directly from them.

I thought you were going with AT&T?

I ordered my Cyan from them. Leaving my phone number behind and gave it to a family member for this stupid phone haha

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I thought you were going with AT&T?

I ordered my Cyan from them. Leaving my phone number behind and gave it to a family member for this stupid phone haha

Lack of credit history bit me in the ass. Tried to do it online and got declined, from there I probably would have had to put down a substantial down payment. Figured it wasn't worth this much bother :( Still a little salty, I liked what I had seen from the 920s camera capabilities.

cube444

Sorry guys. I'm not feeling that "California Blue" at all for the 8X. Saw the phone at a Bell store today. Reminds of the purple GameCube. Give me the black 16 GB within this month or I'm going to wait for the next wave of phones in Spring of 2013.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nice.

What is the app or tile you have in the 3rd image that says TV Show and has what looks like the girl from Fringe on it?

The app is TV Show. It keeps track if shows you watch. The front tile will show what is on that day or a random show and the back shows what episode is coming up. The app is really nice.

I was at Microsoft store today and of the five people looking at Windows Phone, 4 picked Lumia 920 (and I didn't know Microsoft store carry Cyan in store!). One person (female) said 920 is too big and was looking at 8X but changed her mind and decided not to get any phone at all. I feel bad for HTC. May be the phone will do well on Verizon.

I was at Microsoft store today and of the five people looking at Windows Phone, 4 picked Lumia 920 (and I didn't know Microsoft store carry Cyan in store!). One person (female) said 920 is too big and was looking at 8X but changed her mind and decided not to get any phone at all. I feel bad for HTC. May be the phone will do well on Verizon.

I think they're doing rather well. The 8x seems to be sold out on a lot of sites.

Commodore

Whew! Finally checking in after a long week of first time parenthood and working extra hours at night.

I've had a week with my 920 now. A few impressions/general thoughts.

That first time taking the phone out of its box, after laughing at how silly complaining about the phone's weight, well there is an immediate heft coming from my OG Focus. But I wouldn't come close to calling it a possible deal breaker. I don't see how anyone could decide it wouldn't work because its too heavy, but I could see how someone might not like it because of its size. That was my second impression, the first was the color. Holy hell, I can't get over how distinct the phone is. I work at a charter school with a bunch of junior high kids and every time I pull my phone out of my pocket to check the time within eyesight of any of them, they immediately burst out asking what the hell it was I was holding. The effect is immediate for anyone that sees it. I work at a local retailer nights at an electronic department and it turns heads all night. Feels good. A heavy good.

Battery has been a concern the whole week. Its been up and down all week, it'll barely lasts half a day, and the next day, it'll last the whole day. I keep messing around with the possible culprits of background tasks and NFC settings and GMail pushes, to try and find what's causing most of the problem. But today I went to work in the morning (11 am) and turned off GMail to manually sync email and by the end of the day at 9pm, my phone was still at 50%. That's the best its ever gotten, and at least its not consistently bad, but its not consistently good. Hopefully as the battery starts getting a little more conditioned it'll get better as software tweaks get released, because I don't think its really a battery issue but more a software issue.

Built quality, call clarity, low light camera performance, and OIS are all seriously impressive. And I can confirm how awesome it is to not have to rip off my gloves during a cold morning to start some music on the way to work. Just really really pleased with the phone.

I am not pleased with the downright gimped software I'm using to sync content from my PC to my phone. Playlist support is utter shit. They have some serious work to do to get it to usable levels, its barely a skeletal framework of basic function. The transition from Zune to XBOX music, and getting Zune playlist content onto XBOX Music to my new phone has been pretty frustrating. I can't sync my autoplaylist that contains all my rated music, the autoplaylist support is nonexistent in XBM. Means I have to manually choose thousands of songs I like versus a playlist I've set up and used for years to keep the good stuff with me. Very disappointed.

Cool stuff: Cinemagraph. I love this little function. And I've created a ton of little looping pictures so far, but being able to share it has been stilted. For some reason it won't upload to facebook, and it doesn't animate when I share it via email or skydrive. Any of you found a way to show a cinemagraph off easily?

That torch effect that happens when the phone is in direct sunlight? So good. Best I've ever seen on a phone.

Windows 8 specific new stuff: I'm really liking the new home screen, being able to just get more easily accessible tiles on the start screen itself makes me happy.

Here's mine so far:

What's with still not being able to use a custom sound with text messages? For some reason I thought that was in for Apollo. What a dumb oversight. How long do we have to wait till we get some basic user customization options Microsoft?

But generally I'm pretty pleased with the OS upgrades, its still crazy smooth, Kid's Corner will be useful in about a year or so, I've already shown it to someone at work who was buying a Nexus 7 to keep her kid off her phone and she asked how she could get that on her Android. Gladly informed her of other platform options.

So I think overall, I'm very pleased with what Nokia has brought to the table and kinda disappointed with stuff MS should have pulled off far far better. So uh, here's to over the air updates? I expect MS to get their software shit together over the coming months.

Timan

Developer
How are you guys taking screenshots without compression? Everytime I do so, theres artifacts all over it. (power + win)

How are you guys taking screenshots without compression? Everytime I do so, theres artifacts all over it. (power + win)

If it's anything like the Windows Phone 7 viewer, the viewer has a bit of a preview compression problem. Almost everything looks better while zoomed in or exported.

Walshicus

Anyone else getting issues when connecting WP8 to a Windows 8 PC, where it will flicker between charging and not charging?

If not, I might just take this phone back and get a replacement. :(

Totakeke

If you guys missed the latest news.

Lumia 920 apparently to launch with Grey (no Cyan) in Singapore

WP7.8 has gone RTM

Nokia_lumia_Dokument.jpg

Life after 7.8 for WP7.X and WP8 getting updates

Would they switch to pushing smaller update packages rather than have a major release every year? They seem to have the OTA update thing down for WP8 anyway with their promise with a minimum of 18 months support for each phone. Plus the base OS is pretty much stable now except maybe for the lack of a notification center.

Good thing there's only HTC and Nokia making WP8 phones eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom