• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundr51

Just picked up my 8x yesterday and really happy. Looking for some more apps to pin, anybody got suggestions for a good feed reader with live tile?

Also, where did you guys get the nokia drive beta app?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Can't wait for WP7.9. Can I dream, huh?

Still, given that there are handsets releasing with WP7.8, seems like there's still a lot of life in 7.x.

I'm not sure there will be an update for you post 7.8, but there will definitely be Nokia-exclusive apps as well as regular market apps for probably another year. But by this time next year, you'll be due for an update or very close. I know the contract length says 24 months, but pay your bills on time and you'll be allowed an upgrade around the 18 month mark.

I'm not sure there will be an update for you post 7.8, but there will definitely be Nokia-exclusive apps as well as regular market apps for probably another year. But by this time next year, you'll be due for an update or very close. I know the contract length says 24 months, but pay your bills on time and you'll be allowed an upgrade around the 18 month mark.

Mobile account information said:
Recontract Eligibility Date
26-Jun-2013 (Handset top-up charge of $350 applies)
26-Mar-2014 (No top-up is required)

Hmm... This might be interesting, pending any additional handset charges if not free.

thundr51

Anybody pick up a case yet? Honestly this thing doesn't seem to need one really. My HD7 screen had a protector and it was the ONLY thing that was scratched, the rest of the screen was fine.

Liberty4all

Banned
Anybody pick up a case yet? Honestly this thing doesn't seem to need one really. My HD7 screen had a protector and it was the ONLY thing that was scratched, the rest of the screen was fine.

I got a bumper case for my 920 ... It fits like a glove and has great grip on the sides. Will be adding a screen protector later today.

NeOak

Huh? Why would it be up to HTC, when Nokia is the one who limits Maps and Drive on the marketplace to Lumia devices?

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/06/20/nokia-drive-for-all-windows-phone-8-smartphones/

Nokia Drive is one of the major apps that on Nokia’s location platform. Today, we are also making this platform and its unrivalled quality of data and richness of features available on Windows Phone 8 for all partners. This means that Nokia’s Location platform will be central to the Windows Phone 8 experience, with the intention of developing smartphones that bring advanced location experiences. Windows Phone 8 partners and developers will be able to use our location assets to build location-based apps and experiences of superior quality.

frontieruk

I still don't get it. Why would it need to go through partners (HTC, Samsung), when they could just enable it for all in the marketplace? Licensing? (aka, pay us money)

Nokia wants their experience on their platform, they just make the tools available to the other OEMs who can chose to use it to add similar value to their platform rather than do the work for them.

giga

Nokia wants their experience on their platform, they just make the tools available to the other OEMs who can chose to use it to add similar value to their platform rather than do the work for them.
So basically, they're not going to allow the official Drive or Transit apps to non-Lumias then?

frontieruk

So basically, they're not going to allow the official Drive or Transit apps to non-Lumias then?

Basically yes, if you read the link you passed they mention Nokia Drive is "Nokia Drive is one of the major apps that on Nokia’s location platform."

it then says :-

Today, we are also making this platform and its unrivalled quality of data and richness of features available on Windows Phone 8 for all partners.

I can't see HTC or Samsung wanting to see a Nokia branded app on their platform, so they'll either make one or license one like HTC did for WP7

hey thirty, I saw you post in the pureview thread about buying off contract at att, then getting them to unlock it and switching to straight talk. I was wondering how you get att to unlock the phone for you and what this all entails. I'm with Sprint right now but my contract has been up for a while and was considering t-mobile but I'm not as excited about the 8x as the 920. This seems the the cheapest option I've come up with and would love to be able to join the cool table.

NeOak

hey thirty, I saw you post in the pureview thread about buying off contract at att, then getting them to unlock it and switching to straight talk. I was wondering how you get att to unlock the phone for you and what this all entails. I'm with Sprint right now but my contract has been up for a while and was considering t-mobile but I'm not as excited about the 8x as the 920. This seems the the cheapest option I've come up with and would love to be able to join the cool table.

AT&T gives you a free unlock code... once 6 months have passed. As for out of contract, no clue.

AT&T gives you a free unlock code... once 6 months have passed. As for out of contract, no clue.

So I could spend 6 months on the month to month plan with them first? Or you're saying I have to be on contract for 2 years, but after 6 months they give me the unlock code?

NeOak

So I could spend 6 months on the month to month plan with them first? Or you're saying I have to be on contract for 2 years, but after 6 months they give me the unlock code?

nvm, i reread that you said that you would use it with Straight talk. It works, no need to unlock it since its an AT&T MVNO.

You need to add the APNs though. Here is a guide for the 900, you just have to use the WP8 tool now: http://straighttalkwindows.com/straight-talk-mms-setup-nokia-lumia-900

Razdek

Banned
Any Canadians get local scout to work? I changed my region to United States and all I can get is the See + Do to populate and not the other columns.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Any Canadians get local scout to work? I changed my region to United States and all I can get is the See + Do to populate and not the other columns.

You just need to change the search region to US and I find only the swipe to the side Bing videos, movies works. For some reason local scout doesn't work for me like it did for WP7.

Huh? Why would it be up to HTC, when Nokia is the one who limits Maps and Drive on the marketplace to Lumia devices?
windows platform allow OEM to differentiate via App and add on so it is up to HTC to make Navigation app available or any other app.

It's Microsoft way of straddling the line between iOs and Android.

I don't see why you would expect Nokia to build Nav software for HTC...

Razdek

Banned
You just need to change the search region to US and I find only the swipe to the side Bing videos, movies works. For some reason local scout doesn't work for me like it did for WP7.

I did that but it doesn't populate the eat+drink, shop, for you columns like WP7. Why does Microsoft disable this when it was working before?

zedge

windows platform allow OEM to differentiate via App and add on so it is up to HTC to make Navigation app available or any other app.

It's Microsoft way of straddling the line between iOs and Android.

I don't see why you would expect Nokia to build Nav software for HTC...
I figured it was a standard thing across all windows phones. Very disappointed in this to be honest.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I did that but it doesn't populate the eat+drink, shop, for you columns like WP7. Why does Microsoft disable this when it was working before?

I have no idea why it does that. Wonder if it has to do with Nokia and Bing Maps being pushed to the side?

Dead

well not really...yet
Does the Bing live lock screen update automatically every day for you guys?

It seems the only way ive been getting it to change each day is to switch to another lock screen, then back to bing...

Cj70

It seems the only way ive been getting it to change each day is to switch to another lock screen, then back to bing...

I get the same issue. I poked the support account n twitter about it and they seemed confused and said they would look into it.

Are you outside the US?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I think sometimes it may take a day and a half, two days.

frontieruk

Daily here, sometimes I get confused as I don't recognise the lock screen lol

thirty

Banned
Bloomberg live wallpaper works great too showing stock updates from your watch list. I'm waiting on ESPN to release their live wallpaper.

thirty

Banned
yeah, straight talk works with att locked phones. as far as getting att to unlock it, i have yet to do so but was told that if i bought off contract, which i did, att would have no issues unlocking my phone. if you buy on contract then yes they make you wait 6 months. i'll call att and get back to you.

yeah, straight talk works with att locked phones. as far as getting att to unlock it, i have yet to do so but was told that if i bought off contract, which i did, att would have no issues unlocking my phone. if you buy on contract then yes they make you wait 6 months. i'll call att and get back to you.

NeOak was saying I don't need to unlock it for it to work on Straight Talk. Let me know what you find out. The process of switching it over to Straight Talk seems fairly easy, and I found a very helpful thread on WPCentral Forums about it. But, I just had a thought, if my 920 ended up having the battery problems, who would I go to for an exchange? I can't see AT&T helping if I'm not using them. Need to check everything out before I go for it.

thinking about it now...im not sure now if I should get the 8X or 810....only reason I would get the 810 is for the apps...mainly nokia drive....anyone have any thoughts?

thirty

Banned
thinking about it now...im not sure now if I should get the 8X or 810....only reason I would get the 810 is for the apps...mainly nokia drive....anyone have any thoughts?
drive+ in its current form is overrated. The only exclusive Nokia app worth a damn, IMO, is cinemagraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom