• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

They are, but it's hard for real discourse to occur when the response is a literal refusal to believe anything contrary to their position.

I was slightly curious about the thread, to be honest, but now it sounds like a boring argument. Well, I wasn't too much of a fan of Skullgirls from the little I've played it anyway.

Tamako Market night! I'm busy, but who cares about priorities?

Syrinx

This thread, obviously.

Duckroll, please don't read that skullgirls thread in gaming side if you value your sanity. :(

Dear God. I really don't know anything about animation, and even my brain was spinning like a rotisserie chicken reading that thread.

Mature

Think that got retconned into what I mentioned at one point. No idea if it's still that way though.
I think you may be thinking of Macross II. The prospect of an original 36 episode series being retconned for a movie adaptation of it is pretty funny though.

Narag

I think you may be thinking of Macross II. The prospect of an original 36 episode series being retconned for a movie adaptation of it is pretty funny though.

Terse phone posting will be the death of me.

It's not Macross II as that's sort of excised from continuity. I meant DYRL is an actual movie within the Macross continuity, not a replacement for the original series. They remake some of it in Macross 7. :lol

Narag

That is exponentially more reasonable. Macross 7 worth watching?

I haven't watched all of it so I can't quite say. Think it's one of those love it or hate it things but given the recent rise of idol & mecha talk in the thread, I find myself tempted to start both it and Frontier again in order to be a more efficient poster.

cajunator

Banned
This week's ANNCast: "The Last Days of Bandai Entertainment", featuring special guest and former director of marketing at Bandai Ent. USA, Robert Napton.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-02-27

Before I listen to this, I bet itsl ike the last days of Geneon one but possibly less extensive money wasting.

That is exponentially more reasonable. Macross 7 worth watching?

I'll bite: which song?

That ridiculously beautiful song..I don't want to spoil it for people who havent watched that.
SPoiler alert: This one

Narag

Before I listen to this, I bet itsl ike the last days of Geneon one but possibly less extensive money wasting.

That ridiculously beautiful song..I don't want to spoil it for people who havent watched that.

I listened to that a ton when I watched Flashback 2012. So fucking good.

Mature

This week's ANNCast: "The Last Days of Bandai Entertainment", featuring special guest and former director of marketing at Bandai Ent. USA, Robert Napton.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-02-27
Neat. I'll be listening to this. Today I actually listened to my first anime podcast (Anime World Order) and i'm sort of craving more. Coincidentally, they talked about DYRL.

It's interesting how cool/important the concerts are in Macross. On par with the the actual VF fights themselves. Speaking of ridiculous scenes in DYRL, the Max and Milia fight was so creative and breathtaking in this. And how it starts... I said "Jeez".
Kakizaki got a better death in this (being taken out by a serious ace) then in SDF (getting caught in the Macross' shield explosion).

Narag

It's interesting how cool/important the concerts are in Macross. On par with the the actual VF fights themselves. Speaking of ridiculous scenes in DYRL, the Max and Milia fight was so creative and breathtaking in this. And how it starts... I said "Jeez".
Kakizaki got a better death in this (being taken out by a serious ace) then in SDF (getting caught in the Macross' shield explosion).

Max/Milia fight is probably my favorite part of it. Everything about that fight was gorgeous. May as well link it to try and rope more people into watching DYRL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTKtRkQHzHw

You know what PS-All Stars was Missing?

LastStation. Even a Americanized version would have worked.

What it actually needed:

iZoZp3BxWU9Gn.jpg

cajunator

Banned
You know what PS-All Stars was Missing?

LastStation. Even a Americanized version would have worked.

I would have bought the game just to destroy Kratos and the other stupid roid ragers with a little videogame-tan. At least the game has Katt but that wasnt enough for me to get it.

Novid

Banned
Intresting thing about the Bandai Interview, he metioned how he got into anime and the like - he stated that there used to be host for kids shows - If my history is correct - there was a simular type show hosted in Philly back in the mid 70's that aired the early proto and golden age anime. In fact - i believe Tribune did this type of show (maybe not in Chiago per-se) in the major markets.

Novid

Banned
I would have bought the game just to destroy Kratos and the other stupid roid ragers with a little videogame-tan. At least the game has Katt but that wasnt enough for me to get it.

the fanboy rage would been a sight to see and im a sony fan IIRC. but then again, the marketers would ask for "lady armor" etc.

Saint Seiya Omega 46
tumblr_miqdv12sO11qgaaado3_250.gif
tumblr_miqdv12sO11qgaaado4_250.gif

Way incredible episode. I dont think there was nary a dull moment, excellent action and so many cool attacks. Pegasus Ryu sei ken, Sei sui ken both never get old and I love how they looked for it, then Eden, Eden was awesome
almost was so proud when he like defeated Mars, first time though too bad he fell second time at least he entrusted his will to Kouga, hopefully he wont be defeated.
. I think this episode to me, certainly made up for the dull moments that were present this whole arc. It had everything I wanted after so many episodes of Saint Seiya Omega, teamwork, budding friendship among rivals, intense drama, epic abilities, and all of my favorite tracks on the ost (most seemed like they came from ost 1...).

Plot was just a bit predictable I think, felt like I even predicted what would happen. I liked it.

Jarmel

Banned
Now that it seems Brain Base is doing Blood Lad, is anybody familiar with the source material? I'm curious whether I should be hyped for it. I remember people saying it was competent but nothing special.

Now that it seems Brain Base is doing Blood Lad, is anybody familiar with the source material? I'm curious whether I should be hyped for it. I remember people saying it was competent but nothing special.

It's a standard battle shounen with a pretty unique premise and some very entertaining characters. I personally love it.

Of the first two volumes (10chps) Ive read its pretty funny at times and slight moments of action. Lots of interesting supporting cast characters. Loveable mc.

OceanBlue

Wow, when Shergal mentioned the framing for Tamako Market 8, I expected something like episode 3 with a lot of nice backgrounds and stuff. Episode 3 had a lot of really pretty backgrounds, and compared to that episode I honestly thought this episode looked pretty "low-budget". There seemed to be a lot more slightly off-model scenes and the animation didn't seem too outstanding.

That being said, I really see what Shergal meant by the framing. It was really interesting despite what I said! In fact, it might be recency bias, but I think this episode was more visually interesting than 3 (actually, I can't think of another which was more interesting). There were a lot of scenes with the characters framed a certain way by the background to create an interesting atmosphere. Although I'm sure there are better examples, I picked out a few to illustrate what I mean:

Also, is it just me, or have there been a lot more of these top-down perspectives in the last two episodes? The way it was used was definitely a lot more interesting than the way the last episode used it though. I feel like Takemoto really did a good job with what he had. Tons of birds-eye perspective as well. There was so much of it (or rather, there was so little of the regular, straight-on perspective), it actually took me out of the anime for a little bit, lol.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The iDOLM@STER 15

Well, that was fun. I so badly want
that mecha movie to be a real thing
. And the whole "Makoto totally looks like a boy" thing never gets old. :lol

Next episode is going to be bad, isn't it? =/

Novid

Banned
I love the parts Robert Napton states about that LA Convention of 84. Pretty much Hollywood started the process that lead CBS (The OLD, REAL CBS that passed way in 1993, RIP) to get Vampire Hunter D, Masak and his folks rebooting Robotech in 85, and was the leading forces that made 89 the watershead moment in the dubbing industry.

cajunator

Banned
the fanboy rage would been a sight to see and im a sony fan IIRC. but then again, the marketers would ask for "lady armor" etc.

Yeah it would have been hilarious. Part of Smash Bros charm is that it had a lot of cute characters with incredibly overpowered moves that you would never expect. Especially the little cute pokemon totally wreaking havoc all over the place and holding their own. All Stars Battle Royale was a halfhearted attempt with a lot of forced characters that Sony fans "love".
They just aren't as good with mascots as Sega and nintendo are. They lack that whimsical charm. Its not something that can just be conjured up.

duckroll

This thread, obviously.

Duckroll, please don't read that skullgirls thread in gaming side if you value your sanity. :(

I thought you were talking about the last thread we had about the exact same topic, which I already read and rolled my eyes on. But now I see there's a new about about the exact same thing, and it's just as bad. :(

cajunator

Banned
I thought you were talking about the last thread we had about the exact same topic, which I already read and rolled my eyes on. But now I see there's a new about about the exact same thing, and it's just as bad. :(

Obviously people dont expect payment for their work. It must be a utopian society in those offices.

Novid

Banned
Yeah it would have been hilarious. Part of Smash Bros charm is that it had a lot of cute characters with incredibly overpowered moves that you would never expect. Especially the little cute pokemon totally wreaking havoc all over the place and holding their own. All Stars Battle Royale was a halfhearted attempt with a lot of forced characters that Sony fans "love".
They just aren't as good with mascots as Sega and nintendo are. They lack that whimsical charm. Its not something that can just be conjured up.

Sony has always aimed for the toughness - even though everything else they do is mainstream (outside of of the TV series in the US and the Aniplex in Japan) - for me its a good thing IMO but at times rigidity has massive problems.

Branduil

I always thought Sony lacked the mascots to make a title like Smash Bros, but even I didn't think they would handle it as badly as they did. No Crash? No Solid Snake? Big Daddy and Isaac Clarke? Two versions of Cole? The new Dante? LOL

Novid

Banned
Its almost unbeliveable that LA used to be US anime's hub in a way. And yet - as it moved to the south - you can see why it has gotten fucked up.

Narag

I always thought Sony lacked the mascots to make a title like Smash Bros, but even I didn't think they would handle it as badly as they did. No Crash? No Solid Snake? Big Daddy and Isaac Clarke? Two versions of Cole? The new Dante? LOL

Entire premise is like a bad fan game.

Novid

Banned

Crash pissed me off more than anything else. Its world 1.1 for sony.

speaking of which...why in the world LastStation doesnt have a bandcoot for a pet?

Should had just made it a game where Toro and Kuro dress up in costumes and fight each other.

I also love that one of the levels is of Columbia from Bioshock Infinite. A game that isn't out yet and we have no idea if it will be any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom