• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Tamako Market stuff

Really? I found the animation in this episode to be much better than in the last. There may have been some kinda off shots, but I didn't find them to be very pervasive or badly done.
I find that something Kyoani does a lot on "cheap" scenes is having the whole body of the character sort of bounce in a loop of two or three frames while they talk, instead of just making the mouthflap. I can't say it's much of an improvement, and that sort of thing was very present in episode 7, but this time I thought the acting was more realized for the most part. I liked the part where Choi is looking at herself on the water, when they go to school, for an example.

Also, is it just me, or have there been a lot more of these top-down perspectives in the last two episodes? The way it was used was definitely a lot more interesting than the way the last episode used it though. I feel like Takemoto really did a good job with what he had. Tons of birds-eye perspective as well. There was so much of it (or rather, there was so little of the regular, straight-on perspective), it actually took me out of the anime for a little bit, lol.

Yeah, the angles and scene composition were very elaborated, maybe a bit overkill (for some people, I love it). The episode was very Takemoto in that regard, he likes emphasizing the depth of the screen to some degree in his layouts.
That high angle shot really tickled my fancy because the animation for that part was very lively and well-made, particularly the grandpa walking. I don't know why he used that perspective though, I get that he was able to show the whole space in a static shot like that, but were we supposed to focus on the table, or something that could only be seen from that angle? Or was it implying something else? Maybe someone better at getting this stuff like Jexhius could answer me this one.

Novid

Banned
as for the podcast - Robert has some truth, but he misses the point of the on why Bandai failed in the main market place. Aniplex has the backing, has the tech, and has the product. They werent born stupid. Bandai was and still is too much connected to Saban's boys to even care. This Star Blazers mountain isnt totally true, explain Haim Saban and Al Kahn? Robert is doing a disservice here.

duckroll

I always thought Sony lacked the mascots to make a title like Smash Bros, but even I didn't think they would handle it as badly as they did. No Crash? No Solid Snake? Big Daddy and Isaac Clarke? Two versions of Cole? The new Dante? LOL

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/306757344770019328

Last night we announced 2 DLC new characters for PlayStation All Stars. They’re called “Not Crash Bandicoot” and “Also Not Crash Bandicoot”

Still the best parody twitter account out there.

Novid

Banned
This podcast is pissing me off conserning the walmart/target nonsense. of course dude - you have no TV rights so how the hell the walmart croud would know where to find it?

Branduil

Dude, it has the guy from Ape Escape! You can't beat that.

When I think of "Playstation All-Stars" I think of Colonel Radec from Killzone, Emmett Graves from Starhawk, and Zeus.

Does it have Solid Snake?

You're thinking of Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Don't worry though, Sony has you covered.

idgHaAA6DbLjV.jpg

cajunator

Banned
I always thought Sony lacked the mascots to make a title like Smash Bros, but even I didn't think they would handle it as badly as they did. No Crash? No Solid Snake? Big Daddy and Isaac Clarke? Two versions of Cole? The new Dante? LOL

Kind of hilarious that as big as MGS is on Playstation it was nintendo that got Snake into their game. That was probably one of the stipulations of putting him in there that he couldnt be used elsewhere in a similar fashion. Of course Im just speculating.
The sad thing about that game isl ike you said, nobody knows or cares who those characters are. they arent beloved exclusive mainstays or hugely recognizeable characters. Thats where Nintendo, no matter what kind of shitty tech they have, has a leg up on the others. You know who Kirby is. who Mario is. They have identities. They have a history of great games to remember and generations of followers.
none of this has anything to do with anime lol.

OceanBlue

Really? I found the animation in this episode to be much better than in the last. There may have been some kinda off shots, but I didn't find them to be very pervasive or badly done.
I find that something Kyoani does a lot on "cheap" scenes is having the whole body of the character sort of bounce in a loop of two or three frames while they talk, instead of just making the mouthflap. I can't say it's much of an improvement, and that sort of thing was very present in episode 7, but this time I thought the acting was more realized for the most part. I liked the part where Choi is looking at herself on the water, when they go to school, for an example.

Yeah, the angles and scene composition were very elaborated, maybe a bit overkill (for some people, I love it). The episode was very Takemoto in that regard, he likes emphasizing the depth of the screen to some degree in his layouts.
That high angle shot really tickled my fancy because the animation for that part was very lively and well-made, particularly the grandpa walking. I don't know why he used that perspective though, I get that he was able to show the whole space in a static shot like that, but were we supposed to focus on the table, or something that could only be seen from that angle? Or was it implying something else? Maybe someone better at getting this stuff like Jexhius could answer me this one.
Well, from what I remember of episode 7, the animation did a pretty good job of staying on-model but it was pretty boring overall. I think this episode had more interesting animation than 7, but there were a lot of weird moments that took me out of the show like some weird shots of Tamako and the looping baton-and-Dera animation (I also noticed the CG crowd but I thought it was a nice touch, lol).

Choi looking at herself in the water was definitely a nice scene. I think that was the scene that best conveyed to me a feeling of, "I want to look nice in this new environment and situation." It was a nice touch of character development that I really appreciate.

Lol, yeah, I got the feeling that the angles were a Takemoto's thing. The perspectives used were definitely a lot different than anything else in the series so far, in my opinion. As for the high-angle shot, I can only speak on how I felt watching the scene, but it was a scene that had me going, "Aha, I see why that happened!" later on. When I was watching the scene, I definitely thought it was lively because Anko had a lot of expression in it. I noticed the grandpa rising out of his seat and leaving, but I didn't really think much of it. To me, it was a nice way of showing the grandpa leaving without putting too much focus on it.

Novid

Banned
Kind of hilarious that as big as MGS is on Playstation it was nintendo that got Snake into their game. That was probably one of the stipulations of putting him in there that he couldnt be used elsewhere in a similar fashion. Of course Im just speculating.
The sad thing about that game isl ike you said, nobody knows or cares who those characters are. they arent beloved exclusive mainstays or hugely recognizeable characters. Thats where Nintendo, no matter what kind of shitty tech they have, has a leg up on the others. You know who Kirby is. who Mario is. They have identities. They have a history of great games to remember and generations of followers.
none of this has anything to do with anime lol.

Ninty in the end is screwed because all the hardware bs they pulled. Its a sorry sight.

Branduil

Honestly if the big publishers start really pulling stuff like no used games, constant microtransactions and $70 price tags, it's going to be more than Nintendo that's screwed.

cajunator

Banned
Ninty in the end is screwed because all the hardware bs they pulled. Its a sorry sight.

Well they fucked up next gen in a way but don't count them out quite yet.
There is a loyal fanbase that keeps them alive even in bad times but they wont be a juggernaut like last gen. Probably third place again.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ANNCast Bro-takon 2/22/2013
Somehow even in the expanse of bad podcasts I have listened to over the years this one stood out as being particularly bad. The hosts invited some guys from Otakon, which, wow, must be relevant to an infinitesimal section of the audience. Questions are occasionally thrown at them about what their lineup looks like, but they are unable to talk about or announce anything. The podcast quickly devolves into exchanges over the disbelief that anime conventions have been around for twenty years.

Typically I will fall asleep while listening to podcasts, but this was so boring it wound up being aggravating. I ultimately settled for silence.

Novid

Banned
Ninty will never be as great as it was once was because of how they handled the metroid franchise. they went to fusion, didnt do a sequel, then asked Team Ninja to do the game and it went to shit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Videogames aren't dead. The outmoded home console model is what's next to the execution chamber.
Mobile-only future for video games is about as disheartening as CGI-only future for anime.
Ninty will never be as great as it was once was because of how they handled the metroid franchise. they went to fusion, didnt do a sequel, then asked Team Ninja to do the game and it went to shit.
Nobody really ever cared about Metroid.

Why are we talking video games in here again?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Oh man you guys. I got the JoJo Phantom Blood OST. This shit is just fantastic! My ears are jizzing themselves. I'm gonna grab a scotch.

Milamber

ANNCast Bro-takon 2/22/2013
Somehow even in the expanse of bad podcasts I have listened to over the years this one stood out as being particularly bad. The hosts invited some guys from Otakon, which, wow, must be relevant to an infinitesimal section of the audience. Questions are occasionally thrown at them about what their lineup looks like, but they are unable to talk about or announce anything. The podcast quickly devolves into exchanges over the disbelief that anime conventions have been around for twenty years.

Typically I will fall asleep while listening to podcasts, but this was so boring it wound up being aggravating. I ultimately settled for silence.

Anime podcasts never stay long on my phone. All of them are too boring. Same goes for those US magazines. Kicking myself in the past for the money I wasted on Newtype USA, Animerica and Otaku USA.

Novid

Banned
I don't think home consoles are outmoded. They're just making the wrong ones with the wrong games right now.

FPS were good. But they have changed everything, from what a game should be to how "artistic" it should look like. When you have a top heavy genre dictacte everything in a industry you going to have massive dislocations. Thats why THQ is dead.

Narag

FPS were good. But they have changed everything, from what a game should be to how "artistic" it should look like. When you have a top heavy genre dictacte everything in a industry you going to have massive dislocations. Thats why THQ is dead.

I thought uDraw was why THQ is dead.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Anime podcasts never stay long on my phone. All of them are too boring. Same goes for those US magazines. Kicking myself in the past for the money I wasted on Newtype USA, Animerica and Otaku USA.
All I wanted was for them to talk about anime or really anything that could even mistakenly be interpreted as interesting. It felt particularly offputting after listening to Anime World Order do a really fantastic interview with Michael McConnohie and Melodee Spevack.

Novid

Banned
The problem is the same with the TV industry now. Nobody wants to write for TV any more unless they have A Seth MacFarlaine deal - and it sort of the same with video games - they aint writing unless they get production credits and money. Thats why the US TV ratings outside of The Following has been so fucked up. 0.9 in NBC's Do No Harm, to 1.8 for CBS's new show. Now the executives want more pilots based on Book series - because thats the only way you going to get some type of audiance.

Narag

The problem is the same with the TV industry now. Nobody wants to write for TV any more unless they have A Seth MacFarlaine deal - and it sort of the same with video games - they aint writing unless they get production credits and money.

Writing for video games seems like the sort of thing one wouldn't want listed in their body of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom