• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired editor Ryan Singel: Cyclists are the n*****s of the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

7threst

Rather requote this than repost the same thing.

What the fuck is the guy even trying to say here?

He feels like he is a black person when he is cycling. Which, by the way, only happens if you at least cycle for three months, according to him.

Effnine

Guy from Wired magazine doesn't understand impact of Twitter comments?

3595-i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

Kikujiro

They usually say people don't think before they speak, Twitter is showing that people don't think before they write too.

Mudkips

Banned
He should have went with assholes.

Bicyclists are pretty huge assholes. I say that as a pedestrian commuter of NYC.

While I agree that cyclists are the true assholes of the road, that wasn't the point of his tweet.

He was claiming that cyclists were treated like second class citizens, everyone hated them, etc.

Why on earth do people tweet stuff like this? Seriously...

It's easy. Open the app, post whatever random though pops into your head and it's widely available. What they forget is the last part of the equation. Twitter is an incredibly public forum that you're posting to. It's so easy to do that people forget the tool they're using.

So what's the difference between a cyclist and a bicyclist?

I'd say a cyclist is a pro or someone wearing the full gear (shorts, glasses, aerodynamic helmet, etc.) Bicyclist is regular Joe on a Schwinn or something comparable who things they own the road.

FStop7

Banned
There's no apologizing that away. It wasn't some kind of outburst of frustration and a poor choice of words. It was a brief, unfiltered glimpse of what he really thinks. He thinks black people are scum. Full stop.

Jim

He should have went with assholes.

Bicyclists are pretty huge assholes. I say that as a pedestrian commuter of NYC.

Sounds like he is complaining on behalf of cyclists from the perspective of a cyclist, not complaining about them.

Terrible way to explain himself though if that was his intention.

TheContact

wtf people are dumb as shit. I thank god for twitter because people say what's really on their mind without thinking about it too hard. why anyone who has that many followers and is in a well known business would say something like that is beyond me

There's no apologizing that away. It wasn't some kind of outburst of frustration and a poor choice of words. It was a brief, unfiltered glimpse of what he really thinks. He thinks black people are scum. Full stop.

It was a stupid comment but he was making a reference to something that has the exact opposite connotation to what you're saying.

He should've compared cyclists who refuse to leave the road to Rosa Parks. Comparing ones plight to Rosa Parks is the widely acceptable thing to do. dude fuk'd up

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I'm all for free speech but there are just a few words that should trigger your "Wait a minute what are the repercussions of this usage?" instinct.

This one. "Retard." "Rapey." "Dick wolves." All of these are examples of words that should raise your own hackles at yourself, plus of course numerous others...

Isn't the very definition of common sense the ability to sense what the common man around you might think of what you might do?

I'm all for free speech but there are just a few words that should trigger your "Wait a minute what are the repercussions of this usage?" instinct.

This one. "Retard." "Rapey." "Dick wolves." All of these are examples of words that should raise your own hackles at yourself, plus of course numerous others...

Isn't the very definition of common sense the ability to sense what the common man around you might think of what you might do?

haha, I have no idea why these are controversial.

Sounds like he is complaining on behalf of cyclists from the perspective of a cyclist, not complaining about them.

Terrible way to explain himself though if that was his intention.

Wow. It didn't even occur to me that he didn't mean it in an offensive way.

bill0527

While I agree that cyclists are the true assholes of the road, that wasn't the point of his tweet.

He was claiming that cyclists were treated like second class citizens, everyone hated them, etc.

The only reason I hate cyclists are because they decide its a good idea to go out and tone the calves and thighs on the busiest roads in my area at the busiest times of day, usually between 4:30-6:00pm.

800 subdivisions in a 10 mile radius and you have to ride down the road where its already bumper to bumper for miles on end at the evening drive time.

Yes, I know cyclists have just as much right to the road as everyone else, and nobody has the right to hit, or harass a cyclist, but every time I hear about a cyclist getting hit at drive time on main highways (which happens around here 1-2 times a month), I don't find myself getting outraged. There's a lot of stuff in life that's perfectly legal to do, even at the inconvenience of everyone else, but that doesn't mean that its the smart thing to do.

For those who don't actually want to click on the Wiki link, here's a quote. This is what he was making reference to:

Woman Is the Nigger of the World

Meaning

The phrase was originally coined by Yoko Ono during a magazine interview in 1969. Lennon was proud that it was the first women's rights song before "I am Woman".[1] The song describes women's subservience to men and male chauvinism across all cultures. It was banned from radio and BBC airplay because of the word 'nigger'. Many prominent black people, including comedian Dick Gregory (whose own autobiography was titled Nigger) spoke out in defence of the song. Another supporter, Congressman Ron Dellums, stated: "If you define 'nigger' as someone whose lifestyle is defined by others, whose opportunities are defined by others, whose role in society is defined by others, the good news is that you don't have to be black to be a nigger in this society. Most of the people in America are niggers."[2]

In a 1972 interview on The Dick Cavett Show, John Lennon stated that Irish revolutionary James Connolly was an inspiration for the song. Lennon quoted Connolly's 'the female is the slave of the slave' in explaining the pro-feminist inspiration behind the song.[3]

Tweeting that was still the epitome of Bad Idea Jeans, but there's some context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom