• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired editor Ryan Singel: Cyclists are the n*****s of the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai3345

Banned
"Yeah, Lennon! That's it, guys! I was referencing John Lennon!"

Come the fuck on.

even if he didn't pull from lennon, its pretty obvious he's sympathizing with cyclists and black people alike. Obviously not the best choice of words but still, he's not some racist hate monger.

Hoo-doo

Banned
For those who don't actually want to click on the Wiki link, here's a quote. This is what he was making reference to:

Tweeting that was still the epitome of Bad Idea Jeans, but there's some context.

If you have been around the internet for longer than a few days, you know that's not even remotely what he meant. Come the fuck on.

"Yeah, Lennon! That's it, guys! I was referencing John Lennon!"

Come the fuck on.

Dude it's okay, you jumped to a conclusion and got burned. You can still condemn him for comparing cyclists getting harassed to centuries of horrific racial oppression while using a terrible hateful word lightly in the process.

Jobiensis

The only reason I hate cyclists are because they decide its a good idea to go out and tone the calves and thighs on the busiest roads in my area at the busiest times of day, usually between 4:30-6:00pm.

800 subdivisions in a 10 mile radius and you have to ride down the road where its already bumper to bumper for miles on end at the evening drive time.

Yes, I know cyclists have just as much right to the road as everyone else, and nobody has the right to hit, or harass a cyclist, but every time I hear about a cyclist getting hit at drive time on main highways (which happens around here 1-2 times a month), I don't find myself getting outraged. There's a lot of stuff in life that's perfectly legal to do, even at the inconvenience of everyone else, but that doesn't mean that its the smart thing to do.

racist

I'm all for free speech but there are just a few words that should trigger your "Wait a minute what are the repercussions of this usage?" instinct.

This one. "Retard." "Rapey." "Dick wolves." All of these are examples of words that should raise your own hackles at yourself, plus of course numerous others...

Isn't the very definition of common sense the ability to sense what the common man around you might think of what you might do?

Dick Wolves?

FooTemps

I don't think it really matters, does it?

It does though, the original quote concisely describes the position of women in relation to a well recognized social position people still remember. Singel was trying to do the same thing but it bit him in the ass because everyone is afraid of the "n-word" (and no one is well read enough these days to really get the reference).

edit: Not defending the guy, he's a freaking moron for not using common sense.

PmYon.jpg

yo whip so cold

WAB1C.jpg

this old thing?

7threst

Even if it was a reference (which is pretty hard to believe), how about not using stupid references like this? He himself acknowledges it as a very powerful and painful word, which doesn't change even if it is a John Lennon reference. He should've known better before being the dramatic cyclist on Twitter imo.

KHarvey16

If you have been around the internet for longer than a few days, you know that's not even remotely what he meant. Come the fuck on.

Are you saying it wasn't him quoting Lennon? Because it definitely was. It's word for word precisely the same except the subject.

Huh? It may have been inappropriate, and as MCG said:

You can still condemn him for comparing cyclists getting harassed to centuries of horrific racial oppression while using a terrible hateful word lightly in the process.

(And I'd even add that the other side of Lennon's comparison, women's struggles for equality, isn't a good comparison to cyclists on the freeway either)

...but yeah, I think that's definitely the reference he was making.

lol at missing the point of the tweet.

BLERGH RAGE RACIST!!!!! arghhhhh!!

It doesn't matter what he referenced because the inboxes at Wired are exploding right now. He had to be smart enough to know that the general public isn't familiar with each and every John Lennon quote...even if he prefaced it with "As John Lennon would say..." it still wouldn't be smart.

It does though, the original quote concisely describes the position of women in relation to a well recognized social position people still remember. Singel was trying to do the same thing but it bit him in the ass because everyone is afraid of the "n-word" (and no one is well read enough these days to really get the reference).
It bit him in the ass because it's a bad comparison.

It's funny when people prefer to be offended than to learn something.

Maybe you might want to try looking something up once in a while. There's this thing called the internet.

Mudkips

Banned
There's no apologizing that away. It wasn't some kind of outburst of frustration and a poor choice of words. It was a brief, unfiltered glimpse of what he really thinks. He thinks black people are scum. Full stop.

Your reading comprehension is poor.

It's funny when people prefer to be offended than to learn something.

Maybe you might want to try looking something up once in a while. There's this thing called the internet.

It's the Olympic hair thread all over again.

I blame Chris Rock for confusing me to thinking that this guy's message wasn't coming from the perspective of a cyclist.

Also, am I out of touch with pop culture? Becasue I had to Google "N****s in Paris" to learn that it's actually a Kanye West song and thus making Scooters post cheeky.

R2D4

Banned
Can I be a Wired editor? I know nothing about the job but I won't use a decades old racial slur when I'm tweeting useless shit.

This is so stupid! Even before reading about the Lennon bit, it's obvious what he meant: That cyclists are treated poorly. Come on guys, this is not something to rage over.

EYEL1NER

Didn't know the Lennon quote but I instantly realized what he was getting at upon reading it.
Sucks for him I guess.

Edit: after thinking about it, I don't even think he should have deleted the tweet.
Usually I am on the side of the easily offended. Not because I am that easily offended but I feel like a lot times people who are easily offended are just shrugged off and told to deal with it. But not in this instance.
Can't believe I'm on the same side as Dookkake in a situation like this.

If he's referencing Lennon it's still offensive and stupid.

It's like Christians trying to claim people are "bigots' for not accepting their homophobia. Offensive to anyone who has actually faced real bigotry to suggest that.

Not as offensive and stupid as what most people will read from that tweet.. that he's attempting to complain about cyclist.

This thread is also funny.... do the people who are aware of the John Lennon song want a hipster cookie or something?

But even if you are aware of the song.. you'd still have to confirm that the guy is actually a cyclist on the side of cyclists to know that's what he was referencing. I read "Wired editor" and assumed he was a cyclist complaining on behalf of cyclists, but it's not shocking some would read it and assume he was complaining about cyclists. The word usually isn't used in defense of people, despite anyone's knowledge of a John Lennon song existing.

Guevara

Ultimate this tweet reveals two things:

1. Ryan has no idea what it meant to be a black person in the U.S. for most of American history. Being slightly inconvenienced on your commute is nothing. Google Emmitt Till for christ's sake. You get off your bike and you'll still a white man with the right to vote, protection of laws, etc.

2. Even an editor at Wired is an idiot when it comes to social media.

KHarvey16

It's like Christians trying to claim people are "bigots' for not accepting their homophobia. Offensive to anyone who has actually faced real bigotry to suggest that.

Not as offensive and stupid as what most people will read from that tweet.. that he's attempting to complain about cyclist.

This thread is also funny.... do the people who are aware of the John Lennon song want a hipster cookie or something?

But even if you are aware of the song.. you'd still have to confirm that the guy is actually a cyclist on the side of cyclists to know that's what he was referencing.

The context very strongly suggests what "side" he's speaking from even if you have no idea where the quote is from.

Ultimate this tweet reveals two things:

1. Ryan has no idea what it meant to be a black person in the U.S. for most of American history. Being slightly inconvenienced on your commute is nothing. Google Emmitt Till for christ's sake. You get off your bike and you'll still a white man with the right to vote, protection of laws, etc.

2. Even an editor at Wired is an idiot when it comes to social media.

3. People are somewhat inept in their interpretation of this

But even if you are aware of the song.. you'd still have to confirm that the guy is actually a cyclist on the side of cyclists to know that's what he was referencing. I read "Wired editor" and assumed he was a cyclist complaining on behalf of cyclists, but it's not shocking some would read it and assume he was complaining about cyclists. The word usually isn't used in defense of people, despite anyone's knowledge of a John Lennon song existing.

I don't speak for all black people. But no. It didn't offend me in the slightest. Because I stopped to read and not hammer out rage posts.

I don't speak for all black people. But no. It didn't offend me in the slightest. Because I stopped to read and not hammer out rage posts.

Well I also don't speak for all people, I was just explaining how it could be construed as offensive or why he'd be apologizing.

But my offensive comment was based on people who would "stop to read".. so I'm not sure you even read my post.

Doesn't matter what the context of what he meant was. If you're using twitter while identifying yourself as a member of a public company... don't fucking use ANY racial slurs. EVER.

Prezhulio

i'd never seen the lennon quote and understood immediately what he was (probably) getting at. it really doesn't make any sense in any other context.

but still, no-brainer not to do this.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Goddamn... when will these semi-public figures understand that what you say on Twitter is actually read, immediately? You work for Wired damnit, you should know how social media works. But above all: you shouldn't say something stupid like that at all...

It's a very good filter for absolute fucking idiots. About ten years ago the only way shit like this would happen is if one of your friends ratted you out to the press, were pulled over by a Jewish police officer, or sign autographs like Bob "FTP" Malcolm (yeah, only older ScotGAF members will get that one.)

Nowadays these absolute fucking idiots just vent whatever has annoyed them online as if they are talking with a close group of friends in their living room - but without the the benefit that there's always one guy who says "not so loud man, someone might hear you."

Eh, it's a reference to John Lennon.

Not necessarily smart, but probably not racist.

This is arguably worse because it reeks of arrogance, pretension and a "you should get my references because I'm so smart and you're stupid if you don't" mindset.

I mean if it were an innoffensive obscure reference then it'd probably just be overlooked as drunk posting. But a reference to the N word? Was he expecting all of us to read that, chuckle wholeheartedly before buying the song on iTunes so that we can all be as smart as him?

I blame Chris Rock for confusing me to thinking that this guy's message wasn't coming from the perspective of a cyclist.

Also, am I out of touch with pop culture? Becasue I had to Google "N****s in Paris" to learn that it's actually a Kanye West song and thus making Scooters post cheeky.

The Kanye/Jay-Z collaborative album Watch the Throne that it appears on is one of those genre defying albums that regardless of how well versed or predisposed to rap/hip hop you are, you should give it a listen. In fact, several listens. While reading the lyrics. It's a permanent resident of "top 100 all time" lists of the future.

To sum it all up, ITT I learned: I am too uncultured to know about the words of musical legends before my time, too old and out of touch to give the shit about pop music of today and only reference ten year old mediocre stand up comedy.

Also, I guess the word "N****" is ok, as long as you are referencing the word from a specific era.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He should have claimed that he meant to write "naggers" and that it was just a typo.

Edit: Beaten, and in the first reply that I obviously didn't read. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom