• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired editor Ryan Singel: Cyclists are the n*****s of the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Tour De France is like N****s in Paris?

daafbdca40fc1fbb3601e8mer6.gif

Post of the day!

It's a very good filter for absolute fucking idiots. About ten years ago the only way shit like this would happen is if one of your friends ratted you out to the press or if you made really stupid decisions like Bob "FTP" Malcolm (yeah, only older ScotGAF members will get that one.)

Nowadays these absolute fucking idiots just vent whatever has annoyed them online as if they are talking with a close group of friends in their living room - but without the the benefit that there's always one guy who says "not so loud man, someone might hear you."

This is arguably worse because it reeks of arrogance, pretension and a "you should get my references because I'm so smart and you're stupid if you don't" mindset.

I mean if it were an innoffensive obscure reference then it'd probably just be overlooked as drunk posting. But a reference to the N word? Was he expecting all of us to read that, chuckle wholeheartedly before buying the song on iTunes so that we can all be as smart as him?

sisko-facepalm1.jpg

If he's referencing Lennon it's still offensive and stupid.

It's like Christians trying to claim people are "bigots' for not accepting their homophobia. Offensive to anyone who has actually faced real bigotry to suggest that.

Not as offensive and stupid as what most people will read from that tweet.. that he's attempting to complain about cyclist.

This thread is also funny.... do the people who are aware of the John Lennon song want a hipster cookie or something?

But even if you are aware of the song.. you'd still have to confirm that the guy is actually a cyclist on the side of cyclists to know that's what he was referencing. I read "Wired editor" and assumed he was a cyclist complaining on behalf of cyclists, but it's not shocking some would read it and assume he was complaining about cyclists. The word usually isn't used in defense of people, despite anyone's knowledge of a John Lennon song existing.

I am fully aware of why it's a horrible thing to say (appropriating systemic degradation for a tweet about bicycles is idiotic), people are just pointing out that there are a lot of folks in here who think his comment is a racist insult against blacks. Which, I mean, it kind of is, but not in the way they think.

cookie flavored laughing as well. and when did Lennon become hipster?

Acting like people should have gotten a reference to a song is hipster.

And I'll repeat: I only read the thread title.. I browse with images off and don't click most images..

So that's where my "the context is required" comment came from.

I imagine some of the others in here also didn't actually read the entire tweet, and just the thread title.

My own fault, but it's my explanation.

Acting like people should have gotten a reference to a song is hipster.

And I'll repeat: I only read the thread title.. I browse with images off and don't click most images..

So that's where my "the context is required" comment came from.

I imagine some of the others in here also didn't actually read the entire tweet, and just the thread title.

My own fault, but it's my explanation.

that's hipster now? shit.

I am fully aware of why it's a horrible thing to say (appropriating systemic degradation for a tweet about bicycles is idiotic), people are just pointing out that there are a lot of folks in here who think his comment is a racist insult against blacks. Which, I mean, it kind of is, but not in the way they think.

Yeah I thought it could be because I only read the thread title.

Reading the actually tweet.. yeah.. he was obviously trying to defend cycling, and not actually attempting to say something negative about black people.

He was trying to relate 2 things.. and people get sensitive.

I'd say over-sensitive, but that's just my opinion.

Beyond that, as has been pointed out, just a stupid thing to say for obvious practical reasons. You know it's going to be taken poorly.. or you are too stupid to have that foresight.. either way.. dumb.

that's hipster now? shit.

Hipster is used so broadly.. it's an attitude I associate with hipsters though.. sort of an arrogant "oh my, you didn't know this existed? you aren't like me then"

They don't get joy out of spreading knowledge of things they like, they get joy out of acting superior because they are aware of the existence of things.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
"No references allowed!"

lol.

Well I didn't mean that. I reference shit all the time, even in my own post. :p

But when you reference some rather obscure stuff and expect everyone to get it by default - especially when there's no context given and there's no sign of it actually being a reference, then it's quite telling.

FStop7

Banned
He wanted to express that cyclists are abused pariahs, I get it.

The decision illustrate this by A) comparing cyclists to a race of people and B) refer to that race with a slur says to me he holds blacks in very low regard. You can't really walk that back, but -

You say he was referring to a John and Yoko record, I roll my eyes because that sounds like desperation. So OK fine, then that's all it is.

The decision illustrate this by A) comparing cyclists to a race of people and B) refer to that race with a slur says to me he holds blacks in very low regard. You can't really walk that back.

You say he was referring to a John and Yoko record, I roll my eyes because that sounds like desperation. But fine, then that's all it is.

lol.

Can reality be desperate?

KHarvey16

The decision illustrate this by A) comparing cyclists to a race of people and B) refer to that race with a slur says to me he holds blacks in very low regard. You can't really walk that back.

You say he was referring to a John and Yoko record, I roll my eyes because that sounds like desperation. But fine, then that's all it is.

Desperation? Lol. It's a freakin word for word quote.

commedieu

Banned

Yeah. You just don't drop it in a casual tweet?!?! Thats so fuckin incredible. Now, he might just use it normally, he might have friends that he tells race jokes with you know? Thats how my friends are, but I don't think we'd ever casually use racial epithets on our facebook, or really in person.

I'm not offended, but more interested in the guys day to day. Seems so fuckin weird... i mean.. its twitter?!?

Hey, my post wasn't blaming you for not having heard of it or anything, I'm just saying it's really good.

Nah, I am not upset, you did praise the shit out of album like it's a loaf of organic muti-grain bread though. You cannot expect everyone to follow close a music genre they are not particularly into.

But I do get your passion for it. I will give the album a chance.

Not quite.

We think they should learn a bit when they encounter gaps in their knowledge that make them see racism where it is not.

they still struggle with it. instead of accepting it and admitting their ridiculous jumping to conclusions, they still grasp onto their ignorance. wtf is that?

dankir

How the fuck do you accidentally say Cyclists are the Ni@@ers of the road??

What the hell does that even mean?? Stupid racist fuck.

EYEL1NER

they still struggle with it. instead of accepting it and admitting their ridiculous jumping to conclusions, they still grasp onto their ignorance. wtf is that?
I don't know much about John Lennon and don't care about anything the man ever said. But I was able to get what he (the Wired editor) was saying pretty easily.

For some people, it's going to be either A) Admit you have terrible reasoning and critical thinking skills, or B) Blame it on a John Lennon quite being obscure.
Which isn't that good to chose B, because it doesn't excuse you from A.

Um, alright. But reading it again...

What did I miss?

I did not say or imply anything about people having to know the works of John Lennon.

My comments are directed at people who are still crying after learning the origin of the phrase. It is funny/sad how some people wish to cling to their "offense."

Haha, you are really putting lotta deep thought and credibility on a random douchbag's tweet.

Haha, not really.

It is as plain as the clown wig on my head that it is a reference.

I don't know much about John Lennon and don't care about anything the man ever said. But I was able to get what he was saying pretty easily.

It's going to be either A) Admit you have terrible reasoning and critical thinking skills, or B) Blame it on a John Lennon quite being obscure.

I know, I'm just baffled by the ignorance after the fact, when it's been explained.

I don't know much about John Lennon and don't care about anything the man ever said. But I was able to get what he (the Wired editor) was saying pretty easily.

It's going to be either A) Admit you have terrible reasoning and critical thinking skills, or B) Blame it on a John Lennon quite being obscure.

The guy who wrote the tweet might also not know anything of the John Lennon song.

I agree, having read the entire tweet, if you got anything but "he is trying to compare the 2 plights" out of that quote.. you are jumping to conclusions without attempting to even understand the intent.

People assuming it's a John Lennon reference are also jumping to a conclusion though.. it's certainly referencing the same concept though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom