• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired editor Ryan Singel: Cyclists are the n*****s of the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
nlzUz.jpg

Montresor

This kind of shit is what annoys me the most. You know what you fucking said, please don't try and bullshit me.

Look at how many people didn't immediately understand what he meant in this thread. He's not bullshitting because he didn't do a good enough job of articulating his opinion.

That said, the tweet: not racist, but incredibly stupid.

Also, I always try to respect cyclists on the road, but any cyclist that zips past me and ignores a red light or stop sign after I've stopped at the red light or stop sign is a piece of trash. If you're on the road then follow the rules of the road.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Based on the "cycle for three months and youll learn" he appears to mean that cyclists get shit for no other reason than being a cyclist.....aka, like a black person being disrespected for his color.

Clearer example:
Black guy in car gets pulled over for being black
Cyclists gets hit by car due to 100% fault of motorist, and gets ticket for being a cyclist.

Yeah, I got it a few minutes after making my original post. It's still an incredibly poor choice of words.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
All racism aside keep that shit on the sidewalk. Bicyclist rarely are coherent. They give no fucks and carry a sense of entitlement to the road.

Not enough eye rolls in the world for this statement.

Why not just only drive cars on the interstates?

so the quote is pro cyclists saying how they are not treated well on the road; and taken off the yoko song; its clever but highly inappropriate.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Gotta love that a lot of bigots are inadvertently showing their true colors thanks to social networking sites such as Twitter.

I am not sure if you understand what he was trying to say. His use of the word went too far, but his message was not that of hate towards black people.

Also, I always try to respect cyclists on the road, but any cyclist that zips past me and ignores a red light or stop sign after I've stopped at the red light or stop sign is a piece of trash. If you're on the road then follow the rules of the road.

I agree, drivers should follow the rules of the road.

Watch 16/16 cars blow past a stop sign.

http://gridchicago.com/2012/chicagoans-make-stop-signs-obsolete-at-holstein-park/#more-6359

Makes the tweet more and more apparent how accurate it was.

Like the marijuana thing.

10 white kids smoke = no problem, just kids having fun
10 black kids smoke = dangerous gang needs to be put in jail.

10 cars blow a stop sign = no problem
10 bikes blow a stop sign = pieces of trash

Vyer

I'm always kind of amazed when media people who make their living speaking/writing to the public do something that's completely oblivious to public reaction.

panda21

i'm amazed at all the people saying 'oh so he just meant cyclists are treated badly, its fine then'. do you not think comparing racism against black people with people riding bikes is somewhat insensitive? to suggest the two things are even in the same ballpark is immensely tasteless imo

i'm amazed at all the people saying 'oh so he just meant cyclists are treated badly, its fine then'. do you not think comparing racism against black people with people riding bikes is somewhat insensitive? to suggest the two things are even in the same ballpark is immensely tasteless imo

Cycle for three months and youll learn.

Socreges

Banned
Is there even one person that's said this?

who are those people?

images

XenoRaven

General concensus seems to be it was tasteless but not racist. Also he removed it and apologized.

panda21

well this one for a start:

A very poor choice of words in a society that places political correctness well above common sense.

At first I was a little shocked, but after seeing the lennon shit, it actually makes sense.

But again, not surprising that people would react with outrage, without stopping to think for a second (probably what he should have done before posting tweet).

Montresor

I agree, drivers should follow the rules of the road.

Watch 16/16 cars blow past a stop sign.

http://gridchicago.com/2012/chicagoans-make-stop-signs-obsolete-at-holstein-park/#more-6359

Makes the tweet more and more apparent how accurate it was.

Like the marijuana thing.

10 white kids smoke = no problem, just kids having fun
10 black kids smoke = dangerous gang needs to be put in jail.

10 cars blow a stop sign = no problem
10 bikes blow a stop sign = pieces of trash

Let me get this straight: Did you make this post thinking that I agree with the notion that cars should not stop for stop signs?

Is it bad that I
(i) immediately figured it was a Lennon nod, and
(ii) thought that it was a tasteless and absurd thing to say, while also
(iii) not feeling personally offended, but
(iv) thinking that someone could very reasonably be offended if they had different experiences, a different background, or a different perspective

?
This is how I took it.

I didn't realise what he meant until I read about the Lennon song. It wasn't racist, just a dumb as fuck thing to say on twitter. He must've known people would take it wrongly.

Let me get this straight: Did you make this post thinking that I agree with the notion that cars should not stop for stop signs?
You singled out a certain group of people, which implies that they were the only ones at fault. If I said "I hate women that do this" about something that men also do, I'd be rightfully called out for misogyny.

Writing "follow the rules of the road" from the position of a motorist implies a lot about who you think really owns and controls it. It's speaking down to others, which sadly goes back to this thread's topic.

Slayven

I am not sure if you understand what he was trying to say. His use of the word went too far, but his message was not that of hate towards black people.
Just that he compares the plight of a people to minor inconveniences. Privilege is awesome.

THRILLH0

Banned
There's no apologizing that away. It wasn't some kind of outburst of frustration and a poor choice of words. It was a brief, unfiltered glimpse of what he really thinks. He thinks black people are scum. Full stop.

Wrong.

He's acknowledging the fact that black people are sadly still seen as scum - to use your word - by a proportion of the population and is equating that with the way a proportion of drivers see cyclists.

It in no way reflects what he thinks of black people, bit rather his perception of how some other people think of them.

Oh yeah, and the Lennon thing.

jerry1594

I don't even understand what that was supposed to mean. They are disrespected? They are lazy? They are jerks? They are slaves?

It's a reference to the John Lennon song, Woman is the Nigger of the World, so I guess he means cyclists are treated like shit by motorists. it's so heavy handed that if he told me this I would have laughed in his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom