• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired editor Ryan Singel: Cyclists are the n*****s of the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Tour De France is like N****s in Paris?

tumblr_lfglazt6WA1qdtfdbo1_500.gif

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, you'd think someone in that position would be smarter than that to know what would happen if he said something like that. He's got to know only a minor population of the world would even know that saying, let alone tie it to what he said. So stupid.

Joates

Banned
A very poor choice of words in a society that places political correctness well above common sense.

At first I was a little shocked, but after seeing the lennon shit, it actually makes sense.

But again, not surprising that people would react with outrage, without stopping to think for a second (probably what he should have done before posting tweet).

Utako

Banned
Before the reference was posted, I assumed he was being crazy racist and calling cyclists jerks. Because they are!

A very poor choice of words in a society that places political correctness well above common sense.

At first I was a little shocked, but after seeing the lennon shit, it actually makes sense.

But again, not surprising that people would react with outrage, without stopping to think for a second (probably what he should have done before posting tweet).
Virtually nobody gets that reference. It was a bad choice.

Kind of like in the Negroidal Bagger thread where everyone was shitting on the store owner because his pic was the one shown.

Is it bad that I
(i) immediately figured it was a Lennon nod, and
(ii) thought that it was a tasteless and absurd thing to say, while also
(iii) not feeling personally offended, but
(iv) thinking that someone could very reasonably be offended if they had different experiences, a different background, or a different perspective

?

Is it bad that I
(iii) not being personally offended, but
(iv) thinking that someone could very reasonably be offended if they had different experiences, a different background, or different perspective

?

Not at all.

This is what an informed and reasonable person would think.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I got the Lennon reference immediately. He's still a dumb fuck for saying it. You want to appropriate that word for cycling? Really?

Put that fool on blast.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I'm a cyclist myself and although I don't approve of the word used I agree with the sentiment. I get treated like shit.

Not at all.

Okay.

Also, I think that racism is best understood to be a property that actions/sayings have in virtue of their social meaning, history and consequences, rather than a property that actions/sayings have in virtue of the particular motivations/intentions of their agents in particular cases. So I think that the tweet may well be correctly categorized as racist, regardless of the author's intentions (or lack thereof).

Is it bad that I
(iv) thinking that someone could very reasonably be offended if they had different experiences, a different background, or a different perspective

?

pretty reasonable assessment

Okay.

Also, I think that racism is best understood to be a property that actions/sayings have in virtue of their social meaning, history and consequences, rather than a property that actions/sayings have in virtue of the particular motivations/intentions of their agents in particular cases. So I think that the tweet may well be correctly categorized as racist, regardless of the author's intentions (or lack thereof).

Lower-case racism at worst, as in being potentially insensitive to an ignorant audience.

Either way, dumb move.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I see what he was getting at but it was still a poor use of the word. I think the apology is enough but I know there will be people calling for his head.

It would have been a decent analogy if the "problem" he was discussing was (vastly) more important than an American's choice of transit. In fact choice is the most obvious differentiator in his metaphor.

I am a cyclist. I occasionally have to deal with shit drivers. Ask me if I'd rather be enslaved and demeaned and retarded in social and economic progress for hundreds of years.

joelseph

Is it bad that I

?

Not at all.

lol jesus

Okay.

What you say is very true.... and logical, but I grew up listening to The Beatles and John Lennon so I am going to say "it's probably not racist"

Eh, it's a reference to John Lennon.

Not necessarily smart, but probably not racist.

He's sorry he said it because now he's going to catch a heap of shit.

Also, if that's not what he meant to say, then what did he mean to say? What characteristics does he equate that word with?

Based on the "cycle for three months and youll learn" he appears to mean that cyclists get shit for no other reason than being a cyclist.....aka, like a black person being disrespected for his color.

Clearer example:
Black guy in car gets pulled over for being black
Cyclists gets hit by car due to 100% fault of motorist, and gets ticket for being a cyclist.

Lhexh

All racism aside keep that shit on the sidewalk. Bicyclist rarely are coherent. They give no fucks and carry a sense of entitlement to the road.

Coins

Banned
Everyone that's screaming how racist he is needs kicked in the junk. It's obvious what he meant. He went overboard for sure but he isn't the next grand dragon.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
All racism aside keep that shit on the sidewalk. Bicyclist rarely are coherent. They give no fucks and carry a sense of entitlement to the road.

Hey, you know who gives no fucks? Drivers who refuse to recognize me as a vehicle at a four-way stop, leading to frequent situations where I have the right of way and start to pull into the intersection, only to slam on my brakes because some asshole thought it was his turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom